Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New S40/V50

Comments

• Yes you can, but there are much less expensive lenders out there that will finance the purchase order. My credit union for instance have 1.9% up to six years loans, and do not mind to provide an "unsecured" loan for a few month and then convert it into "secured" one, ones car hit the US shore and is registered.

Some banks will finance the purchase order directly.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,897
    but i mention that because it means the dealer CAN make more on the deal if they get you to finance through them.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country

• Maybe some peanuts.
    Dealers seldom are self-financing. It's not their business. They use bigger lenders and get some commissions of the loan.
    In my experience of purchasing a couple of dozens of new cars (I had volunteered for the role of car buyer in my extended family of immigrants, and for some of my friends), the financing is the easiest part of negotiation. Once you have mentioned your own lender, it's usually over. Sometimes, though, there are very inexpensive financing programs, sponsored by the car manufacturer, than you go with it. For instance, I have bought a couple of Nissans with 0% financing from Nissan through the dealer.
    Dealer does not make enough off the loan to negotiate hard.
    The extended warranty is a totally different story...
  • creakid1creakid1 Posts: 2,032
    "They do not have to pay an import tarriff which saves them 10-15% right off the top."

I thought only imported 2-dr trucks get it.
  • caminacamina Posts: 31
    Too much feedback to respond to everyone. But great discussion and info.

How do you get around the import tarrif with OSD ?

Between the X-Plan, OSD, and possible rebates or specials I have some options. Either way, I will wait.

I think if I can get a base engine car with the Premium Package ($27.1K) for under $25K I would buy one. I know it's comparing apples and oranges with the 325i, but in terms of getting the biggest bang for my buck I need to have more price separation between the S40 and 325i.

I'm not set on one particular handling style just as long as it is a true sports sedan. When I drove the S60 I noticed a difference especially the wider turning radius and didn't feel it was exactly what I was looking for but I love the looks of it.

I have looked at all of the cars in the luxury sports sedan class and could go either way but nothing has stood out in terms of value.

My priorities are style, quality, safety, and then performance. Of course, gas consumption is important too. So, the S40 seems to fit my profile.

I am a little concerned that the S40 is a new model car and the possible bugs it will have. When you consider I drive a 15 year old 325 with 127hp, anything out there has better performance than what I have now.
  • mcjaymcjay Posts: 7
    Hi all,

I am living in Canada, and I am considering whether I should choose TSX, 320i or the coming S40.

I have read so much about TSX in this forum, but I am more concern about the safety and future maintenance costs. Can someone please comment on that?...Thanks a lot.

I am planning to drive my next car for about 6 to 7 years, so this is a very important investment for me. I heard there are so many problems in volvos after the warranty period, so it kind of worry me a bit.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,897
    1st of all, never consider a car an investment (unless you are buying a classic collectible). But, I'm sure you didn't really mean that and you know its an expense.

We don't have the 320 here in the states, but, if we did, I wouldn't touch it. I'm personally not interested in something with that little power.

Between the base S40 and the TSX, its a tough call. But, I haven't driven either, so that I'm sure that would make up my mind for me. Have you tried them? In any case, all else being equal, I'd pick the TSX for its anticipated strong resale value alone. So the S40 would have to outshine it quite a bit on the road in my book.

BUT, if its between the S40 T5 and the TSX, I think the contest won't be as close.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country

• jthorsenjthorsen Posts: 39
    Check out the OSD forum on volvoxc.com and it will probably answer all of your questions. There's much more info there than swedespeed. (The site is specific to the XC cars, but the OSD process is the same for all.)

I also thought I read on the Volvo website that they there is no reduction in import fees/tariffs for OSD vehicles, the savings for them comes from cutting out Volvo NA. (And I believe they also get incentives from the govt for promoting travel.) Not to mention the tremendous owner loyalty created by the program.

Also, while Volvo says OSD pricing is not negotiable, I know of at least one buyer on volvoxc.com who successfully negotiated a better OSD price. His explanation was that essentially Volvo gives the dealer a set amount of money for selling a car OSD. If they choose to cut into that money to make the sale, so be it.

And while I would heartily recommend OSD, at the end of the model year when rebates are highest (especially on cars like the S60), you can many times negotiate a better deal off the lot versus the published OSD prices. However, on cars like the new S40 or the XC90, OSD is definitely your best choice right now. And OSD is also many times the only way to order the specific combination of options you want, as dealers tend to order the cars equipped one way. (For instance, they never seem to order the AWD cars with DSTC!)

I've also noticed that is you're willing to travel to Sweden over the winter, many times you can get bonuses like the premium package at no cost :)
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    All tariffs and duties are still paid by the motor company.
    The savings to the customer results from buying directly from Volvo Cars of Sweden.
    Normally, Volvo Cars sells their products to the importer Volvo Cars North America for a profit.
    VCNA marks the cars up to the dealers, who in turn have their own markup.
    Volvo Sweden needs 3 months on average to build a custom car for OSD, then figure 1.5-2 months to have it shipped to the US after you've driven it in Europe.
    Many banks and VFNA will finance the car, some banks and Credit Unions won't.
    Most of our OSD customers pay cash.
    This site shows the TSX as a winner in it's catagory as the best Total Cost of Ownership. Acura's in general are quality cars.

I have driven both and both are nice. When I looked at the TSX they would not discount. I hear they still don't.

My policy is I don't pay sticker price for cars. So, I walked away and will continue walking until they discount. No car is that important to me that I pay sticker including the S40.

The feeling of others and myself is the TSX at $26.9K loaded is a lot for a 4 cylinder. I don't think I have ever seen one on the road.

I'm the same way. I keep my cars for a while so quality is a concern. My 15 year old 325 has 250K miles and could go another 250K but I have paid a lot in maintanance over the years.

I'm going to wait for reliability data to come in on the S40 and for discounts to be offered before I pull the trigger. I'm not going to pay top dollar and then be used for a science experiment.
    although we bought one too soon back in April '03 & paid MSRP + the $300 for the "required" dealer accessories.

Last night we test drove the 325i w/ std suspension, & one comment from one of us is "the TSX is a junky car!" In case you wonder why isn't the TSX w/ sporty-suspension & 17"s satisfying us while the lower-limit-handling 325i w/ the std soft-suspension does. Well, the TSX's steering that can't let you feel the tire grip just can't built enough confidence for MOST drivers, so they never bothered to approach near its handling limit! Plus the std 325i rides whole lot cushier. Even in routine handling, the 325i seems to let the driver go however he likes more intuitively.

So we ordered one to be built in May w/ memory seating & the no-cost SULEV to keep the environment clean! Since only Germany builds the SULEV version, I guess this is the reward for protecting the environment. Otherwise, all the 325i's on the lot are assembled in S Africa w/ transmission from France.

Leasing at $2825 drive off including $350 security deposit + 35 more payments of $299/mo at 10k mi/yr.

So can anyone estimate how much does the new S40 depreciate over the next 3 yrs?

Sure the TSX will last forever w/o costly repairs, but we'll have to ask the 16-yr old in the family to take over this "left over" car -- the "abandoned child" in no time! ;-)

I checked out the BMWCA.com before. It seems that the 320i costs only slightly less than the 325i when similarly equipped after you add the DSC, auto climate control w/ charcoal, etc. The 330i does cost way more than the 325i when similarly equipped. The reason is simple. All 3 6-cyl engines cost about the same to build, but they black mail you for the torquy 3.0 that saves gas. So the 2.2 320i is not a good buy for the $.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,367
    A MINIMALLY optioned 325, with the std suspension, is indeed a great car. It fits my template for a great touring car [as opposed to the ubiquitous "sports sedan"]. We narrowed our choice 18 months ago to the most basic 325 I could find, vs a heavily-discounted C240. We picked the latter [our 14th MB, but then there have been nearly 35 others of all import makes over the years, including 4 BMWs], but based as much on dealership and service as any real differences in the driving. The BMW is quicker, marginally better handling, but also a bit noisier and noticeably tighter in the back seat and trunk, vs the MB, but no one selecting one over the other would get any argument from me. [I belong to both BMWCCA and MBCA.]

I was interested to see what Volvo was doing with the new S40 [we tried and rejected the original S40 a few years ago]. The price is aggressively high - how much higher than the market will ultimately bear remains to be seen. And for me, the T5 versions would all ride too firmly for my tastes. But early demand seems solid - I have a friend who works at a dual MB-Volvo dealership, and interest in the S40 has been lively.
    "And for me, the T5 versions would all ride too firmly for my tastes."

Sport suspension is a $750 option on the T-5 along w/ these fancy-looking 17"s. The T-5 only LOOKS the same as the 2.4i w/ optional sport suspension due to the wheels, fog lights, aluminum trims & the T-tech fabric.

I tested the shocks w/ my 185-lb body-weight pushing the car on each outside corner. Guess what? The std T-5 is softer than the 2.4i w/ sport package.
  • p3dab5p3dab5 Posts: 5
    Has anyone figured out a clean way to hardwire an Apple Ipod into the stereo system on the new Volvo S40?

It's my understanding that the stereo doesn't have an AUX port anywhere and obviously a replacement head unit is not an option with car's unique console design (not that I would want to replace it anyway!). I could always use an FM adapter but that seems so lame given the reduced sound quality... thanks!
  • p3dab5p3dab5 Posts: 5
    One more qustion: I read in one of the reviews of the S40 that the AWD system "will be tuned for speed, not slick driving conditions". First, is this true? Second, if it is, will there be a way to reprogram the system to handle slick conditions better (like the cross-country)? And finally, will the AWD system in its current form be able to handle mountain roads in Colorado?

Thanks again!
  • jchagtdijchagtdi Posts: 55
    Thanks for providing us with the correct information regarding the import tariff savings (or lack thereof). All too often we (I mean me) read things in automotive magazines and forums, and blindly trust their contents. Thanks for clarifying that issue for us.
  • ejsjejsj Posts: 10
    Here's my situation - I'd like to find a compact car with a sporty feel but also some refinement, for under $25k. I thought I'd found the answer in the Jetta 1.8T until I learned about what a disaster it's been from a quality control perspective.

I've heard lots of good things about the Mazda 3. More recently I've been intrigued by the S40 which of course shares the same platform. I figure I could get a base S40 2.4i, manual transmission for not much more than a loaded Mazda 3 sedan. But I imagine the Volvo would be more comfortable and better insulated against noise. I have a long freeway commute so highway ride and quietness are important. Of course, I haven't driven either car yet, but was curious about any opinions you might care to share.
    Thanks!
  • "the savings for them comes from cutting out Volvo NA"

I am confused and have tendency to believe that our respected experts are not quite accurate there.

I have an OSD Order Confirmation in front of me, that clearly states that I am buying my XC90 from Volvo Cars of North America, LLC via their Overseas Delivery program.

Also, doesn't it surprise you, that the OSD program available only in US and Canada, but VCNA somehow is "cut out"?

Any comments?
    What is SULEV ?
  • Super Ultra Low Emission Vehicle
This discussion has been closed.