Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New S40/V50

Comments

• jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    About the 1-Series, we have a problem. (Small Engine, smaller than a Civic)
  • Folks,

I don't think you folks need to worry about the new S40 that will arrive in the US market late winter of next year.

Unlike the current S40, the new car will have way more interior space, better handling, and definitely more power with the 170 bhp normally-aspirated and 220 bhp turbocharged I-5 engines. Given the major improvements, I expect the S40/V50 models to eventually become Volvo's best-selling models. :-)
    Maybe, but I think that award resigns in the Volvo V70 wagon. Highly popular. Yes, it may be. But some people would still buy a CamCord over an S40/9-2/1-Series.
  • Does anyone know what the interior space will be for the 2005 S40? I was considering a S60, but the back seat leg room is pretty tight - 33.3 inches. I heard that the S40 should be a little better, but I haven't heard any details.

Thanks.

Tony
  • crikeycrikey Posts: 1,038
    AutoSpies seem to like the S40.
    What I'd really enjoy is a Carisma for $9K loaded. Sure better than driving a Rio or an Accent or maybe an Aveo. Yes, the interior is ugly, but I can always call Martha.
  • sozersozer Posts: 12
    hi does anyone have a clue about the new 2005 S40 pricing, i don't know much about the car but from the looks and the little i have read about it i LOVE it! If anyone can help that would be great.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,689
    one source says that the new S40 will be more inline with the current S40 minus rebates. So starting at around $22K base and going up to around $28K for a T5. Not sure of the validity, though, time will tell. I hope he's correct.

'13 Stang GT; '15 Fit; '98 Volvo S70; '14 Town&Country

I hope the pricing will start like this:
    Saab 9-2 $21,995
    Volvo S40: $22,005
    Volvo S40 T5: $28,999
    Saab 9-2 Aero: $29,001
  • creakid1creakid1 Posts: 2,032
    After reading the 03 CAR, I believe only the T5 turbo gets AWD & 6-sp manual. That means the non-turbo only gets FWD & should be available w/ 5-sp manual.
    should be one heck of a comparison!
    just reviews what Edmunds has been telling us all along.
    I'm sure the T5 won't have AWD and 6-speed. That would be an S40R. The T5 will still be FWD.

• Gbrozen: Many articles in the US report that the T5 will come with AWD and a 6 speed manual. And I hope it will! My guess is that a fully loaded one will be over $30K
    I don't see why they would go against their current strategy. If the T5 has AWD and 6-speed, then what will the R have?? The s60 T5 is FWD and 5-speed (stick or auto) and the S80 T6 is FWD and 5-speed (stick or auto), so, unless those change, I think you can expect the same in the S40 t5. Maybe volvomax can clear this up. If not, we'll just have to wait and see. Until then, i'm sticking to my guns. ;)

• corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 4,222
    The T5 could have a medium pressure turbo, and the R a high-pressure turbo?

I'm kind of disappointed with the limited specs offered by the Volvo website. I am anxious to find out the interior dimensions (legroom, etc.).
  • Who says there will be a S40R? Is there a S80R? Maybe it is preferable that there is no S40R to keep the uniqueness of the S60R.
    The interior dimensions are probably comparable to an Audi A4, a typical compact European sedan. But it is just a guess.
  • volvomaxvolvomax Posts: 5,274
    Will be available w/ Haldex AWD and a 6 speed manual.
    Actually, the AWD will be available w/ a manual only.
    Car won't be available at intro though.

The R is safe for now, the S40 won't have 4C or brembos or more hp.
    Look for the R to be upgraded in 2005, and maybe,maybe an S40R then.

As an aside Volvo is commiting more resources to AWD on its future models. The S40, S60 and S80 will feature multiple models w/ AWD.
    Will there be a non-AWD T5? I love AWD, but I think it would be quite a hinderance on the 220 hp T5. I hope I'm wrong. But, if I'm not, would I have a FWD T5 to choose instead?

The auto T5 will be FWD.
    The problem w/ FWD and horsepower is torque steer.
    Its fine if your driving a Dodge Neon but unforgivable in a luxury car.
    of course its a problem, but I find it very manageable in my T5 99% of the time. Its only when changing lanes and stomping the gas that it might could get a bit unruly. But, overall, its not an issue. I found my rear drive V8 pickup to be much more of a beast to control upon acceleration around a turn.

Are you saying no stick FWD S40 T5??? Please say it ain't so!

A V8 pickup has its own handling issues.
    But a properly setup lux sedan shouldn't.
    Hence AWD on a powerful car.

At this point I don't know if there will be a FWD T5 manual.
    just like FWD properly set up on a lux sedan shouldn't be a problem. ;)

i heard on another board there will be manual and auto available on all levels of the S40, so I'll keep hope alive.

• It's funny, C&D is a professional car magazine yet they say, "appears to be a chopped and slightly chubby version of its larger S60 sibling"

If you look at the s40, it has a different front and rear than the s60, but more than that, the s60 has a totally unique greenhouse. The s40 is a smaller version of the s80's greenhouse, not the s60s. I tihnk it is more accurate to say that the new car has Volvo's current styling characteristics, the rear lights, the pronounced shoulders, but the s40 has some unique aspects to its styling and isn't a shortened s60.
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 8,039
    But saying what you did doesn't sound as exciting!! You must read engineering journals!! LOL (just kidding).
    I know this is somewhat of an issue over on the 2004 TL board, so does anybody know how big the trunk is?
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 15,670
    The Mazda 3 is supposed to be decent sized, and since they share a platform, and the Volvo looks kinda boxy in the bag, I would assume average+ for the class.

2015 Hyundai Sonata 2.4i Limited Tech (mine), 2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (daughters college car)

This discussion has been closed.