Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Murano Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• mikesmuranomikesmurano Posts: 118
    edited August 2010
    Jayhawk70,

I have read your reply and am willing to declare a truce.

I started out on this website several years ago seeking advice and technical help when I started to experience problems with my Murano. As the miles rolled on, and the problems became more numerous and expensive, and the dealers gave me different stories on solutions, the experience became incredibly sour.

When seeking information in these threads I started to get comments doubting my claims and problems. I retaliated as you have observed.

I am also an engineer (mechanical 23 yrs.). I have worked for T1 suppliers. I have also worked in aerospace. I am an auto enthusiast and have intimate knowledge of automobiles and have owned many cars.

The Murano, in my experience, is the worst new model car I have ever owned. Through my research I have discovered that Nissan has a lot of problems with other current models as well.

Your Nissan may be performing well today. Best of luck.

This is my list of real problems that totaled in over $11,500 in repairs:

CVT repairs (round 1): $1500 (refused to warrant)
    CVT total replacement (10k miles later): $6200 (121k miles - refused any warranty)
    Recurring brake and strut problems.
    Engine oil leaks (valve covers; seals; gaskets; etc.).
    The engine now is burning oil (I have changed it every ~3000 miles).
    Catalytic converter system and O2 sensors replaced.
    Failed power door lock solenoids (2).
    Cup holder ears broke with little pressure.
    Bose CD changer experiencing problems (disc player skips; speakers cut out).
    Fuel cover door sticks preventing access to fill tank with gas.
    AC system coolant leaks repaired and system re-charged.
    Visors (both defective).

Finally, I will say I loved how the car drove. The interior was well thought out and I also really like the looks. I kept hanging on to the car for these reasons thinking that the current repair would be the last bug I would deal with. NOT!!!

I concluded to unload the car and am glad I did. My concern for others, not you of course (since your new Murano will never have problems), is that they don't throw more good money after bad like I did. Pardon my sarcasm.

The problems I read about here are signs that things are about to get real expensive. These are real issues. There are also safety concerns about the CVT and the remote accelerator. Serious accidents have already happened. U can read the NTSB reports.

I don't want that on my conscience by telling someone that their problems with this car are exaggerated. I heard enough of that denial crap from Nissan's customer (no) service.

Peace back to you....
  • It should also be noted that there are (500+) posts in the Murano CVT thread highlighting some type of problem.

Quite numerous compared to other manufacturers and models.
  • Ya know Mikesmurano, it's a funny thing. You see, every car made has someone in the same position as yourself with the same dramatic warnings about car X being the worst ever and please avoid.

My other vehicle for instance, is a Honda Civic hybrid. After about 5 years and 65K, it's been pretty darn flawless for me. But there are the same vehement complaints about the car here at Edmunds. To be exact, 366 complaints on the hybrid battery pack and software.

Here its the CVT mainly, with the transfer case and head gasket coming in second and third.

The prius has battery leaks, the Rav 4 transfer case failures and on and on.

The reality is that most folks have no problems or only a minor one or two with all cars made today. And many learn how to handle the problems, or they are handled competently.

--------------------------

A new Murano 2wd version bought right now isn't going to have any major problems because all the stuff has been fixed - the head gasket, the CVT, the PVC valve etc. The AWD version still has the transfer case potential for an issue...so don't buy an AWD version.

Any thanks to Jayhawk and the rest for providing a little clarity.
  • A rather flawed perspective/statement.
  • mikesmurano,

This was really helpful to hear of the extensive difficulties you have had with your Murano. It is just a great reminder for us to always do our homework AND cross our fingers before buying a car !

I have almost 90K miles on my 2004 Murano and I don't recall anything out of the ordinary other than the same problem you mentioned about the fuel cover door and my driver's door spontaneously re-locking itself. I had the fuel cover door fixed by Nissan, but they could not replicate the problem with the door lock. I *think* if you want to fix the fuel door yourself, you can just remove the pin/bolt that locks it, but then it will no longer be lockable.

bj
  • OK - how bout this one- buying a used car with a bunch of miles 1st generation first year for model increases the probability of significant problems that won't be fully serviced by a car company.
  • As you continue to laud the great experience you have with your '09 Murano, I am still not quite understanding how your comments (directed to me) are helping those folks figure out how to resolve the "real" maintenance & repair problems they are dealing with.

I think you are the one who needs to find a new place to post your banter.

We will allow you to return when your '09 starts to fall apart.

BTW, your last last post (#2235) I don't see how that relieves Nissan from standing behind their product.
    edited August 2010
    Howlinpups,

I had the spontaneously locking doors as well. This was a huge annoyance. I asked the dealer about it. They told me at the time they did not know what was up with that. This also happened once when I stepped out of the car (still running) to get the mail. The door closed and locked. My house key and garage door opener were on the inside of the car. With no one home, I had to wait an hour for my wife to get home while the car sat at the end of the drive way running with my stuff on the inside.

Then they came back and said it could be fixed by re flashing the car's E PROM with the newest updates in the software. This would only cost $750.

I thought what a deal! Another expensive fix! I didn't bother at that point.

I kept a spare key tied to the undercarriage.

Now, I am sure whitestar16, and the others, who refuse to believe my shared experiences are valid, will tell you how I made this up and people like me just don't understand the car or the company or how to astutely purchase a vehicle.

I can now look back and laugh since I replaced the Murano with a Toyota 4Runner and an Acura TL.

Did I tell you how I liked the drive of the Murano? :shades:
  • That's fine Mikes Murano - except I think in good faith, ya need to let everyone know you bought a used 2003 Murano that was already problematic before you acquired the vehicle.
    edited August 2010
    You know, I am really getting tired of having to correct you!

FTR, I purchased the 2003 in early 2005"dealer certified vehicle" with 39K miles. There were no prior problems at all evident. It was maintained before and after by the dealer. It belonged to a salesman at the dealership. It was never wrecked/salvaged or other. I didn't exp. any issues until late 2007.

Were you here to buy it with me? Did you run the carfax on it? Did you ride with the prior owner everyday and determine it was problematic? I think not!

Why don't you take your omniscient powers to D.C. and see if you can help fix the runaway spending problem? Let me guess, that's probably my fault too.

Aerospace engineer? Right........
  • Right on. So like I said, you bought a used 2003 Murano; It just needs to be pointed out so that other 2003 owners can benefit from your trail of Murano woe. And do you really think " Dealer Certified" has any real meaning? The 2003 Muranos had a high rate of problems. And those were the new ones. Buying a used 2003 makes problems a virtual certainty. A glimpse through the technical service bulletin history for that model year attests to that--and also the gradual flow of vehicle improvements that followed.

I think you were referring to Jayhawk as far as the Aerospace engineer; another one of your babysitters.
  • easym1easym1 Posts: 218
    Hey Buddy, many of the issues discussed here where issues I got with my 04 Murano. Right now I got 100K KM and recently encountered additional problems. I do maintain all our cars well and we drive the car well. Honestly, I'm glad that I found a better mechanic than the Nissan dealers have and was able to fix what Nissan mechanics can't. All I got from them are nothing but run-around instead of fixing the problems.

Btw, I got mine brand new!
  • whitestar16whitestar16 Posts: 53
    edited August 2010
    What kind of problems did you get starting at 100,000 KM? Also, if you are looking for any info on the 2004 models there is actually a thread just for 2005 and prior Murano model years, that may be useful to you.

Ideally the thread here is to discuss problems and solutions.
  • Follow your own advice and stop your bantering.

For the "Nth" time, when I purchased my Murano, the data you are refering to was not available; the car had not been on the market only two years.

Go lecture someone else. I will speak to you no more on this matter.

"Wosh sh-tay" whitestar16...
  • Hi Mike- you have had some problems here on the board and with the moderators and other posters. Good luck to you.

I don't think there are any more complaints about the Murano than there are other cars.I bought a 10 SL FWD after searching through a bunch of sites and reading up on it.I have noticed that the people who complain on here also complain on other sites which is fine but I think it makes the numbers seem higher.I have read word for word complaints on here and the same on many different sites.Nissan has tweaked the Murano over the years and usually by year four for any car they have worked out most of the bugs.That being said any one car can mess up at any time.Just maintain the car well and it should hold up very well
  • Hi all. I am due for the first oil change on my Murano in a couple of months. The questions I have are as follows:

1. Does Nissan use synthetic in their cars that are new?
    2. Is it better to start using a synthetic sooner?
    3. If so, what grade do you all recommend?

Thanks
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Let's stick to the topic and avoid taking potshots at each other.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • hytydehytyde Posts: 2
    I have had a number of issues pop up with my Murano since I bought it but my biggest concern now is the "jerking" I feel when slowing down and then accelerating again. I expressed my concern to a service center that I have used for years. Their concern was that my transmission was going bad (specifically because of a problem they had when the car was in reverse) and suggested I take it to a Nissan dealer since I was still under warranty. The Nissan service department told me there wasn't anything wrong with my transmission, however I needed to replace 3 broken motor mounts. As it turns out, there were only 2 broken motor mounts but they were ready to charge me for 3. My warranty will end in about 7,000 more miles and I'm worried that there is more wrong than what I've been told. Also, I'm now having problems trying to start the car. I have had to use the key a few times but that wouldn't even work earlier today for about 15 minutes. Has anyone else had this problem?
  • I had and still have the same problem its the INTAKE SYSTEM, I had 2 recalls on it.. My brother says the gas isnt getting to the engine( something like that) its happens when Im at a corner and stop then go its jerks then go's back to being normal.. Or when my foot slips of the gas and I press on the pedal it does the same thing.
  • I have murano 2004 how the hell do i replace the headlight. I went to the dealer and they said I had to have the front tire removed to get to the headlight socket and replace I can see the socket when I look under the hood. God this car is getting on my nerves... I should stuck with another honda the lights were easy to replace..