Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Murano Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Here is the recall on the air intake issue and some results from other posters;

2003–2007 NISSAN MURANO; VOLUNTARY SAFETY RECALL CAMPAIGN ENGINE AIR INTAKE DUCT
    Nissan is conducting a voluntary safety recall on model year 2003 – 2007 Murano vehicles. Under certain conditions, the intake duct, which is connected to the intermediate resonator in the air intake system of the engine, may separate from the resonator with engine movement. This could cause minor idle fluctuation or poor acceleration. If this occurs, and the vehicle continues to be driven without being serviced, the engine may stall while driving. To remedy this potential condition, Nissan is conducting this voluntary safety recall campaign to replace the air intake duct with an updated part and the air duct clamps with new clamps at no charge for parts or labor.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------------------

I got it done this morning took about 30 minutes. So far my biggest improvement is throttle response. I also had a weird noise that I describe as popcorn kernels in a coke can popping around. This happened when getting started on a steep hill, low RPM high torque situation. This is now resolved.

The mechanic said I barley touched it and the hose came off. I said I know I have been messing with it for a year. They acted extremely surprised even though I have been in the shop numerous times for repairs on other things and have mentioned the problem.

Anyway all is good now.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------
    I also got this recall performed today when my car when in for service along with a couple other warranty issues.

Before the new intake, my MO felt like it would gasp for air at a certain point during acceleration. Now, it seems like that problem is solved.

---------------------------------

Its a real issue for the model years 2007 and prior although many drivers didn't get the problem. Totally fixed for the 2009 to current Muranos.
  • here is the info you are asking for on changing a headlight in the Murano:

The Nissan Murano uses 9004 halogen headlights for low beams and 9007 for high beams. You'll need to verify which headlight has burned out before you can replace it, but this is an easy task. Just turn on the headlights and verify which headlight has burned out. Switch from the high beams to low beams to make sure that you don't have a high beam headlight burned out. Replacement headlights can be purchased from most auto parts stores.
    Difficulty: Moderately Easy
    Instructions

Step 1

Open the hood of your Murano and unplug the electrical connector running to the back of the headlight. You may need to jiggle the headlight connector back and forth until it comes off the headlight fully.
    Step 2

Pull off the black headlight cover from the back of the headlight.
    Step 3

Remove the spring clip holding the headlight in place and pull the headlight out of the assembly.
    Step 4

Insert the new headlight into the housing and secure it with the spring clip.
    Step 5

Replace the headlight cover and plug the electrical connector back into the headlight.
  • mikesmuranomikesmurano Posts: 118
    edited August 2010
    Regarding the starting problem, you may want to check your starter.

I had the recall work done on the intake. That was no problem for me. However, I finally concluded through some simple tests that my starter was going bad.

This was yet another part and repair (in my long list) that had to be made. I replaced it myself. A simple test is, if the car does not start, put in drive and push the car a little. This will move the brushes on the starter motor some (closer to the adjacent magnet). Usually if you do this once or twice the car will start. If this is the case it usually points to the starter being bad.

You can also remove the starter (rather simple) from underneath the car. Two bolts are removed and the starter will slide back/out. Take it to Autozone they can test it there. Take care in removing it; it wieghs about 5 - 8 lbs.

Or, you can have the dealer do it all for you for about triple the cost of a starter from AZ (~$150 - $200).

Best of luck; believe me I understand your dilemma w/ a problematic Murano.
    edited August 2010
    Finally, sit and learn little one!

1. Does Nissan use synthetic in their cars that are new?

Nissan does not ship any of their normal production cars with synthetic already filled at the factory.

2. Is it better to start using a synthetic sooner?

Synthetic could/should be used at the earliest (as permitted by the Mfgr's specifications). consult your manual or dealer. Synthetic blends are also okay but need to be changed at a higher frequency. An equally important point is to select a quality filter. One that traps small microscopic particles that can damage your engine.

3. If so, what grade do you all recommend?

5 or 10W30 SAE (only). The brands are fairly equal. Castrol; Mobile One; and or Pennzoil are all fine (~$30 per change if you DIY). There are better brands that are more expensive (~$50 DIY).

Regardless Whitestar16, synthetic is a good way to go. Plus you will need all the help you can get driving a Nissan Murano (new or old). They have become known to be habitual oil leakers inside and out. Mine leaked internally and fouled up the catalytic converter causing it to fail. Did I tell you that story?

BTW, Toyota and Honda products never leak oil.
  • smarty666smarty666 Posts: 1,503
    Just a word to the wise, I would recheck some of the Toyota threads on edmunds. There as been numerous complaint about sludge and oil issues with several Toyota models, the Camry in particular, I think in the 5th and 5th Gen Camry. So Toyota is not immune either.
  • easym1easym1 Posts: 218
    I have posted some of the problems I encountered with my Murano in the past.

@ 100K KM, here are the problems that pop out:

1. Need to replace driver side wheel bearing.
    2. Lumbar support switch don't work.
    3. Rattling sound underneath the car.
    4. Flashing airbag lite ( I believe @ 80K ).
    5. Driver slide window screw got unscrewed. Vibrates when window is down.

Past issues that I can remember:

1. Gas cap stucked at lock position,
    2. Winshield washer sprayer - weak.
    3, Switch to engage AWD malfunction.
    4, Replaced car battery @ around 65K.
  • Its interesting how different car models have similar issues. Both my Volvo s70 and the Honda Hybrid I have had batteries needing replacement fairly early - i ascribed this to the heat we have in Texas and just figure that batteries need to be replaced every couple of years around hear.

I had a gas cap won't open issue in the Honda as well.

I also think the AWD version of the car should be avoided as the FWD for most folks works just fine and eliminates one area of potential problems. But some Murano owners swear by the AWD option to be sure.

The Honda had a weird auto down up issue with the drivers side window - it took five minutes for the dealer to fix it under warranty as it turned out.

I consider these items pretty minor. Of course if ya need to take gas out in the middle of nowehere and you can't get a gas cap open - now thats a major problem :-).
    edited August 2010
    These are nuisance issues that should not be encountered with the Murano that has been billed as a premium car from Nissan.

The problems you stated are all in the typical "problem areas" for the Murano.

The switches (lumbar & AWD) and air bag light are common electronic problems with Nissan products. I have done some research and discovered that many of the Murano electrical components are undersized or are purchased from cheap Chinese suppliers.

I had both electric door locks starting to fail. I hooked up a strain guage & electric meter the lock mechanism solenoid to determine the force required to actuat the lock and found that the solenoid was rather undersized/anemic for the application (compared the measurements/readings to the solenoid spec's).

Nissan wanted to charge me ($500 P&L) to replace both solenoids. I did it myself and saved the labor cost.

The AWD drive Muranos seem to be the most risky. My guess is that the transfer case shell (casting) & the CVT casting are too weak to withstand the extra torque the assembly experiences when engaged. If the cases flex then it puts the components in stress/torsion which will cause failures through out the system; it is also leading to an alarming rate of CVT & transfer case cracks.

In addition, this would explain the large number motor mount failures that the Murano seems to experience.

If you have as many miles as you do, you may want to consider cutting your losses and move to another vehicle (other than a Murano).

Muranos are just not holding up as they age and collect a lot of miles.
  • montielmontiel Posts: 1
    HI

I HAVE ONE QUESTION AND I WILL APPRECIATE ANY HELP OF YOU: HOW MANY MOUNTS FOR ENGINE AND TRANSMISSION REQUIRES A 2004 NISSAN MURANO?
    I LIVE IN MEXICO AND HERE IS NOT EASY TO FIND THESE KIND OF PARTS.
    IF YOU KNOW ABOUT A SERIOUS WEB SITE FOR PURCHASING THEM, IT WILL BE GREAT FOR ME

THANK YOU
    Hello everyone. I just got my front brakes replaced recently and noticed that the AWD and AIRBAG lights were flashing on the dash while driving. I've checked my AWD switch but it's off. Is this an issue of simply re-setting the onboard computer?
    Per my previous post. I got my front brakes replaced and noticed the AWD and AIRBAG lights stays on on the dash when I run the car. Any solution?
    Hello again, I'm posting this in behalf of a friend with a Murano

The mechanic has replaced the front driver side wheel bearing. When he turns the engine ON, the ABS light goes ON and he will hear a click and then the AWD light will also go ON. They will both stay ON on the dashboard while the engine is running.

He tried removing one side of the battery for 5 minutes hoping to reset the module but did not work. Can anyone help.
  • Brought this car two days ago, love it, however after going though manual realize trunk doesn't power in SL, what a bummer, want to upgrade to LE, nissan said the paper work went though, I would have to bring vehicle back in as a trade-in wow is this right? I not sure now.
  • pf2001pf2001 Posts: 110
    Thanks for the info. I have an 04 SL. I notice that there is no pick up when I press on the accelerator. I will bring mine in for the service.
  • Your welcome. good luck and hope things get fixed up for you.
  • pro7pro7 Posts: 5
    APOLOGISE - I'M PECKING ON A I-PHONE (I DO HAVE AN MBA - BUT TRUST ME I'M HAPPY TO SAY I'M NOT THE SMARTEST DUDE IN THE ROOM)
  • pro7pro7 Posts: 5
    Murano - Proof Par Excellance that the Japaense can build crap just like the Americans
  • pf2001pf2001 Posts: 110
    Got the air intake done and my Mo runs a lot better than before. It does not run sluggish when I apply the gas.
  • May I ask where you found the aftermarket CAT for ~$300?

I need one as well. Thanks heaps!!!
  • Corporate Headquarters
    Eastern Manufacturing, Inc.
    2151 Cabot Blvd. West
    Langhorne, PA 19047-1808
    Tel: 215.702.3600
    Tel: 800.553.7199
    Fax: 215.702.3606

"easterncatalytic.com"

It can be done by yourself; but, it is a tricky job. Needs lots of sockets, swivels and extensions. Good luck.