Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Murano Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• I have the same problem with the same make and model. The fuses are fine. Did you ever find a solution?
  • My 04 MO has both sun visors drooping,cant use them,wont stay up. Pure junk. Dealer in Chesapeake, VA wants $400.00 ea. Cant find any visors in junk yard, other Nissans wont fit, 80 of the 100 I looked at have there visors picked, shows what junk they are. Mabey E Bay has a pair. Have any of you posters located any. A postor commented so what, but at $400.00ea. thats big money for those items. Viator Trudeau
  • $400. ea for sun visors? Are they smoking crack??? This is such BS. And the worst part is that corporate WON'T stand by their product, no matter what! They let their dealerships ride roughshod over their customers, charge whatever they want for service labor AND jack up the prices on stuff like this. Absurd!

I'm still seething about the fact that my dealership REFUSED to give me two proprietary codes for the "Service Engine Soon" light warning unless I paid them a $125. "diagnostic" fee. I e-mailed corporate three times about this since this has been an ongoing problem - and whatever electrical issue is causing this has shorted out my alternator four times! Not even an "I am sorry you are having a problem." Just, "Our dealerships can set their own fees for things like this." Well, set this, Nissan. This chick will NEVER darken the doorstep of a Nissan dealership EVER again! And will badmouth you to anyone who will listen! Should have given the car back under the Lemon Law when it happened the second time...
  • My 2003 Murano (never buy a first model year vehicle - too many "glitches") is having tie rod/wheel bearing issues? Anyone else have this problem? Not taking it to the dealership for repair - how much on average should it cost to replace one side only?
  • Did you ever find the solution to the rumbling. I just started feeling mine intermittently at low speeds between 5 and 15mph.. Its definetely not the tire it feels more like the cvt. I have a 2007 MO with 60k
  • fantiefantie Posts: 1
    My '04 Murano spills coolant through the radiator resevoir whenever I drive with air conditioner on. Sometimes afetr driving for 2-3 hours when I stop coolant drips off the plastic resevoir. the car doesnt overheat but spills of coolant forcing me to keep toping it up. What could be the problem. Thanks in advance.
    CJ
  • I had the same issue.

This is a precursor to a CVT on the way out. Sell the car unless it is under warranty.

It is not worth the trouble you will go through.
  • The struts went out on both front wheels on my '03.

That may be an additional problem or it may be causing your wheel bearing(s) and tie rods to crap out. They are all linked.

I bought KYB Struts from a tire supplier they did the tie rods/bearings & struts for $800. I got a deal because I always buy tires from them.

None of my Toyota's, Honda's nor Chrysler products ever had the kind of nagging problems as Nissan.

No more Nissans!
  • To All Readers:

Sorry for violating Edmunds policy and suggesting that one engage in less than acceptable behaviour to resolve their very frequent and very expensive problems you encounter with your Murano's and maybe other Nissan products.

I retract my earlier posts.
  • Have a local mechanic change out your coolant and perform a pressure test to locate the leak. DO NOT go to a Nissan dealer; they will rip you off and charge you through the @$$!

The coolant circulates through a "jacket" in the oil filter mount. In this assembly there are several connections and seals. You have an '04 - so it is likely through age these items are getting brittle and lived a good life on a bad car model.

I had the same problem.

I seem to have had almost all the problems that folks post here. That is why I sold my Murano and went back to Toyota. I bought a 4Runner.
  • Try a body shop (NOT A NISSAN DEALER - they will rip you off).

They can look for wrecked cars and locate (most times) good parts off of wrecked cars at junk yards.

Just a thought......
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,356
    I have a friend who is considering a 2004 Murano.

I told him I thought they were pretty good cars.

Maybe not?....
  • Please tell your friend, "do not buy a Murano period! Also, do not buy a Nissan product at all if they don't want to go broke on repairs."

Nissan has to be the worst auto company in the western world today.

Nothing more needs to be said.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,356
    Well, I don't think I would go that far. There are worse cars.

And, I realize that forums like this tend to attract people that do have problems like a magnet.

I think I'll just direct my friend to this forum and let him decide for himself.
  • jmaxejmaxe Posts: 197
    I replaced mine for about $240 each. Believe I ordered the parts from Courtesy Nissan and did the install myself in 5 min.
  • baldwin3baldwin3 Posts: 121
    I used to enjoy this site, but it has become a forum for one person to answer all comers, and we don't know much about that person except he hates Muranos and Nissan and has a Toyota. The real answers to questions and helpful suggestions have disappeared into pretty hostile replies. Our 05 Murano is still perfect and pushing 90,000...signing out as this is a waste of time and pretty sick nasty propaganda. I suggest some regular "commentators" find a life...mow the lawn, shovel snow or perhaps play with your kids.
  • njmedic702njmedic702 Posts: 3
    edited January 2011
    I don't know who is addressing the problems/concerns which are posted. On a few occasions I have posted about several issues I have had for several reasons, not just to rag on Nissan but to see if any other owners have had the same problem and how and if it was resolved successfully. I have also stated my opinion, and that is all it is is - an OPINION, about the dealership's high labor costs, cavalier attitude about concerns brought to their attention and unwillingness to work with customers. It seems like the most important thing to them is to SELL their vehicles, not service them. They don't seem to get it that people can go anywhere and negotiate a good price for a vehicle. What will bring them back to a particular dealership is the courtesy and professionalism displayed by their service staff! In the time I have had my 2003 Murano, I have used two dealerships, the second for convenience in regard to my employment. During this time the dealerships have gone through countless service managers. To me, this tells a story of people not interested in doing their job well. If you are having no problems with YOUR Murano, good for you. Perhaps you got lucky - or the kinks had been worked out by the time you got yours. Mine was purchased in 2003 - I would never purchase any vehicle in its first model year again, Nissan or otherwise.
  • mikesmuranomikesmurano Posts: 118
    edited January 2011
    Baldwin3,

If your '05 Murano is still perfect @90K then why would you bother to comment in the "Nissan Murano Maintenance and Repair" category?

The majority that came here several years ago were searching for answers because of the unusual problems we were running into and the exhorbitant repair costs. Things that are not common to other Mfg'rs. vehicles.

When the Murano was introduced it was a unique vehicle with a lot of new technologies that were supposed to set a new standard in motor vehicles.

It was a failure. The Murano & Nissan have not gotten enough bad press today because of Toyota's problems over shadowing and the Murano has become the new yuppie "Kool-Aide" drinking cult car. It is billed as environmentally correct; etc.

If your read back thru my posts, you will find that I have offered a great deal of technical advice of how I delt with repairs; and, tried to do it on a "working man's" budget.

I have offered correct advice through out; No one has ever disputed that my recommendations on repairs were incorrect. Many have thanked me for helping them out.

It is unfortunate that people like you keep returning, accusing those of us who have suffered as "Nissan owners", of being "hostile commentators".

When your Murano starts to crap out you may return and we will take you under our loving care and help you thru it.

Maybe you're the one who has hostility issues - I don't know - it is not for me to judge and then insult.

Until then, best of luck!
  • I had to use the same approach. Two dealers; one was better than the other.

Unfortunately, the better dealer could not overcome the louzy car quality.

It is not an opinion, but an experience.

When my Murano's repair cost passed the $12K mark I had to stop the bleeding and get rid of it. It would have been more if I had not done a lot of the repairs myself.

I think I may have to start a website that offers nothing but pure counceling for Nissan owners.
  • HEY MIKE MY SES LIGHT IS ON AND ITS READING CAT BANK ONE AND SO I WAS GOING TO REPLACE CAT CAN YOU TELL ME THE MANF. WHERE YOU GOT YOUR CAT OR BRAND I DONT WANT TO PAY 800 DOLLARS FROM DEALERSHIP FOR JUST THE CAT BUT NOT SURE ABOUT AFTERMARKET CATS EITHER. I HAVE BEEN TOLD THEY CANT TAKE THE ACTUAL HEAT TEMPS THE MURANO CATS ARE MADE FOR SO THEY GO BAD FAST..
    PLEASE HELP THANKS

PLUS IS THAT THE ERROR CODE YOU HAD BANK ONE ?TRYING TO FIND OUT IF THAT IS THE REAR OR FRONT CAT SINCE THERE IS APPARENTLY THREE PARTS THANKS AGAIN