Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Murano Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,600
    It's illegal in most (all?) states to leave the engine running while refueling. It's definitely not a safe practice.

It's also not a safe practice to hop out, start filling up, and then get back in the car - it's rare, but there have been a couple of instances where static created by sliding in or out of the car has ignited the gas fumes.

I guess everyone knows not to fill up the lawnmower gas can in the car too? (put it on the ground first).

Steve, Host

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• cb70cb70 Posts: 226
    when I get to work. I have a mental problem with that! I wonder if I can get disability or at least some time off to compensate for this malady?
  • dweiserdweiser Posts: 288
    In addition to all the other good reasons (like it's the law and your own safety when refueling.), when your vehicle is stopped or parked, as in your driveway, and the engine is running, your gas mileage is ZERO M.P.G.
  • gust334gust334 Posts: 75
    If a road hazard is unavoidable, prior to the Murano I would find a safe place to pull over and shut off the car. If that place happened to be roadside I also activate the hazard indicator.

Now with the Murano, I keep going but I tap the tire pressure monitor button occasionally for the next couple of miles to see if the pressure is dropping. If it isn't dropping, I don't need to stop. I like this car!

I would think that somebody leaping out of a car yet leaving the engine running, so that they can put their head down under the vehicle to check the tires, is a wonderful candidate for a book I've seen called The Darwin Awards.

barryg1, I have no idea what you're trying to say about someone not having the mental capacity or English comprehension to shut down a vehicle. My thoughts are that if somebody doesn't have at least that capacity, I don't want them to have the privilege (e.g. driver's license) to be operating a motor vehicle on the same roads that my family and I are allowed to use.
  • barryq1barryq1 Posts: 10
    I dont think you people seem to get it...This all goes back to the original problem of locking yourself out of the Murano. I have a 2002 volvo s60 and it is impossible to lock yourself out of the car when the engine is running. The Murano is not that forgiving. The Murano makes you think and if you make just one mistake you will have a lot of grief. I was merely giving an example when I said you hit a bottle or some object and the first thing you would do is swing open the door and just outside to see the problem.This is when you get in trouble.

PS.... the local dealership reports 8 problems like the one I mentioned.
  • dklaneckydklanecky Posts: 559
    Like the Infiniti G35?

Infiniti G35 Programming Possibilities:

Door Lock/Unlock (with single click on keyfob)
    Mode 1: Unlock left front door only
    Mode 2: Unlock all doors

Anti-lock Out (prevents locking keys in car)
    Mode 1: Master door lock switch can activate door locks w/ key in ignition
    Mode 2: Master door lock switch cannot activate door locks w/ key in ignition

Dome Lamp Timer
    Mode 1: Interior lamp comes on when left front door is unlocked
    Mode 2: Interior lamp does not come on when left front door is unlocked

Retained Power (Amount of time windows and sunroof will operate after turning off ignition)
    Mode 1: 45 seconds
    Mode 2: No delay (Will not operate after ignition key is turned off)
    Mode 3: 2 minutes

Auto Light On (headlights turn on as it gets dark)
    Mode 1: Factory setting
    Mode 2: Lights come on sooner than factory setting
    Mode 3: Lights come on later than factor setting
    Mode 4: Lights come on later than Mode 3

Head Light Battery Saver (applies when headlights left in “on” position, not in “auto.”
    Mode 1: Shuts lamps off after 5 minutes
    Mode 2: No time delay (headlights turn off immediately)

Headlamp Illumination delay (time headlights remain on after exiting car when headlight is in the “auto” position)
    Mode 1: 45 seconds
    Mode 2: No Delay (lights turn off immediately)
    Mode 3: 30 Seconds
    Mode 4: 1 minute
    Mode 5: 1 ½ minutes
    Mode 6: 2 minutes
    Mode 7: 2 ½ minutes
    Mode 8: 3 minutes

Hazard and Horn Reminder Mode (key fob allows you to choose between modes 1 & 2, but there are 4 others)
    Mode 1 (C Mode): Lock = 2 flash, 1 horn /// Unlock = 1 flash, 0 horn
    Mode 2 (S Mode): Lock = 2 flash, 0 horn /// Unlock = 0 flash, 0 horn
    Mode 3: Lock = 0 flash, 0 horn /// Unlock = 0 flash, 0 horn
    Mode 4: Lock = 2 flash, 0 horn /// Unlock = 1 flash, 0 horn
    Mode 5: Lock = 2 flash, 1 horn /// Unlock = 0 flash, 0 horn
    Mode 6: Lock = 0 flash, 1 horn /// Unlock = 1 flash, 0 horn

Remote Auto Locking Function Mode (Doors automatically lock after exiting car)
    Mode 1: 5 minute delay
    Mode 2: Function disabled
    Mode 3: 1 minute delay

Remote Panic Alarm Operation Mode (activates when button on keyfob held for approx. __)
    Mode 1: .5 seconds
    Mode 3: 1.5 seconds

Remote Trunk Open Operation Mode (activates when button on keyfob held for approx. __)
    Mode 1: .5 seconds
    Mode 3: 1.5 seconds

Remote Power Window Down Operation Mode (activates when button on keyfob held for approx. __)
    Mode 1: 3 seconds
    Mode 3: 5 seconds
  • zaurlzaurl Posts: 1
    How lazy can you people be.....??? First of all, Nissan did not foget to include this feature, it was most probably done on purpose for saftey reasons, particularly at gas stations based on incedents that caused fires in the past when people left their engines running while puming gas. All you have to do is open the window open before you come out of the car, so you can open the door from the outside if anything - you dont even have to hold the button anymore to open or close the window....remember? :)

This should be the last thing to be considered a problem.
  • div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    "The Murano makes you think and if you make just one mistake you will have a lot of grief."
    Well, Nissan, get your act together! A car that requires conscious thought to operate? How unfair!
    Teach 'em a lesson barryq1- sue their sorry socks off. Thought should NEVER be required to operate a product in the US!!!
    has anyone locked themselves out of the murano with the engine running. please respond.

thank you
    barryg1, I amend my thoughts to further include that if somebody doesn't (or chooses not to) think, I don't want them to have the privilege (e.g. driver's license) to be operating a motor vehicle on the same roads that my family and I are allowed/privileged by our State to use.

If your local Nissan dealership has sold to 8 other people that don't think when operating their vehicles, please provide your zipcode so we can ensure we never visit that area of the country.

div2, you're hilarious!
  • uncledaviduncledavid Posts: 548
    I think there is something important getting lost here.

I definitely don't agree with the idea of pumping gas with your engine running nor can I remember the last time I left my car running without being in the driver's seat.

BUT, that said, there shouldn't be anyway to lock the door from the outside with your keys still in the car. That is just a prescription for lock-out. It is not at all unsual for somebody to get out of the car and accidently leave their keys ont he seat (not smart- but also not unusual).

My Honda will not allow me to do this and neither should the Nissan.

I also fail to see how a car allowing a driver to be locked out while the engine still running could be conceptualized as a "safty feature." It is bad design. Pure and simple.

The Murano is, on whole, very well designed. This is just one example of a ergonomic gotcha.
  • dweiserdweiser Posts: 288
    IF it IS that easy to lock oneself out of the Murano, we should all be cognizant of that fact.
    I always thought people who locked themselves out of their cars were, well, stupid, until guess what? Yup, I did it to myself in an old VW Bug at a car wash. Then I saw the event in an entirely new light!
    :)
    To all you doubters about this problem, ask yourself this question....

Would you lend your Murano to a friend or relative and not tell them of this potential problem( assuming you would lend out your car)

IF YOU DONT MENTION THE POTENTIAL PROBLEM THEN YOU HAVE FULL FAITH THAT YOUR PHONE WONT BE RINGING IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT...
    If one is locked out of the vehicle with the engine running and opens the door with the valet key, will that trigger the alarm.
  • div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    Somebody report this to NHTSA- Before one more innocent driver is victimized! Nine people have already been locked out! When will this horror end???
  • uncledaviduncledavid Posts: 548
    Well, I think the point is that there is a relatively minor (but potentially annoying) ergonmic snafu that could be improved in later versions of the Murano. Not a big deal in otherwise impressive package, but still worth taking note of.
    Hypothetically, you live in a rural area and you arrive home one night with your young daughters in the back. As you approach your mailbox you notice a package underneath it, so you put the car in park but leave it running, as you open the car door to retrieve the package. As you pull the door handle open, you see somebody coming at you from the dark behind the mailbox with a knife. You immediately hit the lock lever with the same hand that is on the door handle and pull the door closed, to buy yourself precious seconds to put the vehicle in gear and get some distance from the attacker while s/he fruitlessly hammers the knife on the vehicle exterior. Unfortunately, barryg1 was successful in his class action lawsuit that div2 sarcastically suggested and the car obligingly unlocks the door, permitting the attacker to simply pull the outside door handle and open the door. Fade to black.

OK, so in this thread we have established that the fact that the door does not unlock when manually opened, manually locked, and manually closed is an ergonomic snafu for people who don't think where their hands are when they are in a running vehicle. And it can just as easily be a safety issue if you're about to be carjacked. The more creative folks here can think of any number of scenarios in both areas.

The point is, trading off even the remotest possibility of having an extra safety feature in a crisis, against the inconvenices caused by somebody being clumsy or stupid, is an easy one for me to make. In my opinion, the Nissan engineers made the right choice.
    The question remains... can you open the car with the valet key if you are locked out, ignition on,without triggering the alarm.
    The question remains... can you open the car with the valet key if you are locked out, ignition on,without triggering the alarm.

Yes
  • jedyejrjedyejr Posts: 2
    It seems that most of the traffic has been positive re: Murano. However, I have had an bad experience. First, let me say that I am in love with the concept of the Murano, and even after all of my issues, I still think the Murano and FX35/45 are sporty AND practical.

Anyway, upon delivery of my Murano in February I have had significant alignment/balance issues, a stress crack in my windshield, and a faulty fuel-gauge. Additionally, I have experienced the same popping or rubbing noises others have experienced.

To make a long story short, the alignment/balance had been taken care of. The windshield has to be pulled from the assembly line and the faulty fuel gauge still needs the part. I have complained to NISSAN Consumer Affairs and told them about my issues. I told them that I have been dissatisfied with the quality of my Murano and that I propose one of two options. Return my vehicle with no penalty to me, or I would be willing to purchase the higher quality FX35 or FX45, if they would make up for my loss on the Murano during the trade. Guess what - they turned down both. They told me to go through the lemon law in my state.

So, now I believe that NISSAN really doesn't care about me as a customer and is acting pretty silly when it comes to my second offer.

Any advice or suggestion would be appreciated because after nearly three months I still have a stress crack in the windshield, a faulty fuel gauge and a car company that doesn't want to be reasonable.
  • guru78guru78 Posts: 3
    Its very very hard to prove your car is a lemon. Even then you just run into some bad luck with your new murano interms of alignment/ windshield. By the way i feel that most people here are confusing the FX35/FX45 for n upscal version of the murano. Its a completly different SUV. As far as quality is concerned yes the infinity devision of nissan has a slightly better quality check. I have owend 4/5 cars from the nissan family. 94 maxima/ 99 maxima se/ 96 I30 and getting a murano in the next day or two.
    Even though Infinity is part of Nissan you will get no where (in my opinion) in trying to get them to trade for an FX. If you have a chance its w/in Nissan for a new murano. And unless you can site major problems with the engine or something its gonna be hard for you to use lemon law policy. Personally I think you should stick with the murano. Or sell it as a private person and cut your losses and go buy an FX if its waht you desire. But do complain to the better business beauru. I did so with a warrenty issue I had sometime back on my 94 and after nissan told me to shove it before hand then had the manager write a letter to me personally and gave me a small settlement. BBB even wanted to interview me for a informational interview to be televised on local county channels.
    But unfortunatly I don't think you have a case here. But do compalin to them every chance you get.
  • roadrunner70roadrunner70 Posts: 241
    i agree with guru78. your best option is to try and swap cars. but, each of the items is very fixable, and depending on your state's lemon law, you will have problems winning. i'm more dissapointed with the dealer that while waiting for a windsheild, they haven't offerred something, e.g. another loaner car?, washes, wax,
    oil changes, etc. there is a safety issue with the windsheild, since its a integral part of the car.

on the alignment issue, there have been several posts here and on other murano boards of references to alignment adjustments. what was your alignment problem exactly? my murano was out of alignment when i purchased it, but at the same time, the right front tire had an awful radial tire lead problem. i had two alignments at the selling dealer before the service department finally agreed to swap the two front tires and see if there was a tire lead problem. there was, and goodyear replaced the tire the next day. i still have doubts about whether or not the alignmetn on my murano is exactly right, but, for now its ok.

having said that, my other car, a 2002 toyota highlander ltd, clearly had an alightment problem when purchased and according to the dealer, it had the worst alightment problem they had ever seen, and it took two dealers four visits to straighten it out. it now runs perfectly. i never like being blown off by the manufacturer, but they all pretty much do it. i will not purchase another toyota product because of the way s.e. toyota dealt with us over the alignment issue (but s.e. toyota gets $500 from the buyer for each car, nissan, gm, ford, chrysler, etc. do not have such a fee.

if you can get someone to say that the car is unsafe to drive with the cracked windshield, it may qualify under the lemon law. you need to carefully read the booklet which came witht the car and also determine the safety aspect of the windshield being left broken while you drive it.
    hope that helps.
  • sildogsildog Posts: 50
    ...then after reading all the exchanges above about locking out, getting gas with engine running, and all the crap from everybody making fun of them, I decided they should have named it MORON-o and I bought a Chevy!

Wait until the CVT's start puking!
    I know that lemon laws vary by state... in Illinois, it generally doesn't matter how many individual defects the vehicle has, but it does matter how many times it has been "fixed". If the dealer diagnoses it and has to order a part, that isn't counted as a "fix", but if the dealer has replaced the part and the problem continues, then it does. It is only considered a lemon after some number of attempts to fix the problem have all failed.

This makes sense, because as with any mass-produced product, some defects escape the factory tests and still others are introduced before final delivery to a customer. The lemon laws protect the consumer for an unfixable problem (as they should), but they also protect the dealer from unscrupulous customers who suffer buyer's remorse and want to find any excuse to get out of a vehicle they decide they didn't really want.
  • jedyejrjedyejr Posts: 2
    I was finally able to get in touch with the right person at Nissan N.A. who didn't pull off any type of miracle, but was interested enough to get all of the parties together and figure out a solution. In short, I was able to end my lease without penalty and get into an Infiniti FX35.

While I was at the Inifiniti dealer, the executive office rep phoned the Infiniti sales manager and applied as much pressure as he could to get the deal done, as well as, being an advocate for my situation. The result was that I didn't have to take a huge lump sum out of my pocket to make up for my Murano depreciation. I do realize that I am paying for some of my loss in my Inifiniti lease but the point that someone influential enough cared to make a difference and do the right thing is what is important.

I guess the only advice I have is to maintain persistance in a situation like this. I will also say, as others have mentioned, the FX is a completely different car, ride, feel, quality - all around.

Thanks for everyone's feedback, it has been very helpful.
  • berg32berg32 Posts: 56
    Has anyone figured out a way to improve FM radio reception? Would a different/longer antenna help?
  • texamau1texamau1 Posts: 42
    Does any one know how to replace the bulb for the fog light? one of my fog light went out :(, there's no instructions on how to replace light bulbs in the manual; unlike the manual for the Pathfinder.. The manual said to bring in the Nissan dealer for bulbs replacement.
  • 92drexel92drexel Posts: 153
    That should be covered under warranty (unless you've put a lot of miles on it or it was broken by road debris or vandals). It may be a faulty light bulb.
  • dodoc2003dodoc2003 Posts: 20
    To replace the bulbs, you will first need to remove the fender protector. There should be 4-5 clips and 2 screws to take off. You then (according to the service manual) need to remove the front bumper on the affected side. Sounds like too much work to me.
  • hc4hc4 Posts: 1
    i have an se 2003 murano. love the car except for a sharp rattle just at the edge of the front door. both on passenger and driver side. sent to dealer many times... no useful fix done.
    another problem is when i push on the front door side panels there is a loud clicking sound( pushing on upper 1/3 of panel) any advice or fix is helpful. thanks