Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Murano Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• mdfinutmdfinut Posts: 1
    :confuse: Hello all! I am new to this site. We have a 2004 Murano and are having some problems. This week our service engine soon light came on and then within a day or two, the car would stall while driving. I took it to our local autozone and had the code read, it says it is a faulty camshaft position sensor (code D0343). Came home started to do some research online. Found out that there had been a recall for this part with the 2003 models. Contacted NHTSA about this (recall 03V4550000) and they made a file for my complaint and said for them to consider paying for the repair I would have to take it to my Nissan dealer to have them read the code. My Nissan dealer said the price to read the code is $90 (the part alone is only $60) I am wondering if it is worth the hassle to have them fix it or is it in a place that I can get to. I am pretty handy with and just replaced the throttle position sensor about 2 months ago. Does anyone know where the camshaft position sensor is located on a 2004 Nissan Murano? Thanks!
  • jpzepjpzep Posts: 1
    New owner here, forgive me for any repetitious questions here but I did not see answers in the forum here. Bought this Murano used on Ebay ( i know, i know but it worked well on two other cars!) and am finding out that is has several problems. One, the driver's side mirror doesn't work properly (no vertical movement and slight horizontal). Two, braking causes a major shake in the whole car. There are TSB's for both of these issues. I was hoping someone could shed some light from personal experience (homeouner, I saw that you were having this mirror repair done) on the extent and cost of these repairs. thanks in advance for any help.
  • jodell1814jodell1814 Posts: 10
    yeah that has happen to me when i first bought my car I have 2004 nissan murano.
    the engine did( like cut off) one time. I was scared as Hell. The dealership told me that is was something in the transmission ( i was a recall) now since it was fixed ith havent had any problems except witht he gas door not opening. thats another problem only the remote can open the gas door.. Unless you go through your back panel in the hack back section. and remove the panel from the gas side and cram your fingers to unlatch it...( sucks)
  • jg2003jg2003 Posts: 2
    hi- i'm new here and aren't sure of how exactly to post something, but will give it a try. i tried to start my car and it only clicks. someone told me to tap on the starter while cranking it to see if it turns over. the problem is i can't find the start. it's supposed to be to the left of the engine? very frustrating since i just took it in for a service. all suggestions welcome- thanks!
  • baldwin3baldwin3 Posts: 121
    Everytime this has happened to me in any car, it has been bad battery. Check that before anything else...
  • easym1easym1 Posts: 218
    I just replaced the battery on my 2004 Murano with a brand new one. But when I start the car, it will die unless I press the gas for a little while and then that's the only time I can make it function properly. I was told by a mechanic to remove all the battery connection for 15 minutes and then put them back to reset the code..but it did not solve the problem. I never have this issue untill I replaced the battery. Does anyone know what I can do?
  • Hows it going. I just replaced the battery on my 2003 Murano with a brand new one having the same problem, went and took it to the dealer. They had to replace a battery terminal and had to reset the idell on the car. all is now working well. They also changed my engine mounts which was covered under warranty.
    Did they charge you to reset the idle or is it under warranty? What is your mileage? Why did they replace your engine mounts? Did you notice anything before they did that?
  • I have a 04 Murano and have problems with my gas lid not opening also. Today was the third time this has happened and I was unable to get gas. Costco always has a gas line and to have to leave without gas after waiting was frustrating. So, how did you remove the panel?

Thanks!
  • Did you try hitting the door lock button on the driver side arm rest on the door? That worked for me when mine wouldn't open.
  • Yes! I locked and unlocked the doors and hit the lid repeatedly for about 4-5 minutes. I used the key, key fob, and manually inside the drivers door. No deal!
  • I was lucky. It only happened to me once where I couldn't eventually get it open. That did suck! To open it I would keep pressing the lid, lock and unlock the driver side door,etc until it opened. I finally took it back to the dealer and even though I had bought it used, I complained enough that they replaced the actuator switch for free. Since then it has worked flawlessly.
  • re: left side rear view mirror not working, the left would not move at all. The dealer replaced it under warrantee. In shopping for a new set for my 04 MO W/ 58,000 on orig set, sams club for $139.00 ea. Goodyear Long TrailT/A tire tour, crisp handling for Crossover and SUV & light truck touring tires. Does any one out in post land have any experience with these tires. Are they quieter than the OE Goodyears for $112.00
  • Charged me 220 + 100dollar deductible for engine mounts + passenger door lock. mileage is 58000. dint notice any reason on why to change the mounts. I day later car has the same problem + now non of my door locks work and cannot open car from the inside. Nissan dealer sucks + they had my car for a week.
    Nissan dealer here in Brampton Ontario will charge you for a rusted screw and they don't seem to know what they're doing. Their arrogance made me go somewherelse.

Friends of my that deals with this dealership has warned me about them.

Nissan H/O should be concerned about this type of dealerships because people with bad experience will go to a different company.
  • gr5849gr5849 Posts: 1
    I just purchased an '04 Murano with the same problem. Were you able to find an alternative?
  • I wish i could get a refund on my car. My next car will something with all the fancy stuff. I think thats just making for problems for later.. When I first got my 2004 murano SL I loved it... about 2 years later, the car would cut out of my when i would I would be at a stop light and the go I would get not power. That was the first recall on the car. It had ignition problems.. Then now I have gas tank door problems.. When i use the remote the gas door doesn't not open. according to the dealership the ONLY way to get to the gas tank is to take apart the back paneling of the car where the hatchback is. Yes thats the only way. Unless you pay out of pocket $100.00 to have it fixed yet some my say thats not a lot,but for real they should of have installed and manual release lever i.e.. honda.. toyota.... So you can see my next car will be one of those. What if i was traveling and there was no dealership to take my car too then what?????????? :mad:
    With so many issues with this gas cap, Nissan should have done the right thing by re-calling this car instead of getting all of us pissed. With all the bad service that I got from them, my Murano will be the first and last Nissan we will ever have.

I bet that Nissan reads the threads here but I don't know if they even care.
  • whitallwhitall Posts: 187
    Maybe I am just dumb, but I don't know how to get out the air filter. I found the clips to undo (per the manual). Then it says to just lift it out, but nothing lifts out. The thing on top of the filter (the breather?) The plastic box-like cover barely moves. It opens about 1/2 inch and I can feel the rubber edge of the filter, but I don't see how it comes out. Does something have to be unscrewed or disconnected? The manual doesn't mention anything. FYI, I am not mechanically inclined. I can do minor minor repairs, such as wiper blades, batteries, and I thought air filters! Thanks
  • It is not difficult at all, but my suggestion would be very simple. Take it to a dealer and let the service rep come out and show you...no charge. Or take it to a JiffyLube place where they know the same thing. Compared to the Audi A6 which required removal of the airconditioner brackets, the Murano is 30 seconds...have somebody show you. Don't fight it.
  • whitallwhitall Posts: 187
    I could ask the dealer, but I always think they would like to charge me big bucks to do it, so they wouldn't want to help. I was in for 17,000 oil change (car just turned 2 years old) and they checked off that it needed changing. Don't know for sure that I believe they even looked....but I wasn't going to pay markup and labor when I thought it was a do it yourself. Maybe I'll ask Jiffylube or somewhere else. Maybe even AutoZone. Thanks
  • My 04 MO has 60 K miles and a few weeks ago the very quiet engine has a little " purr" under slight accellation around 35 MPH. I find nothing rubbing or leaking in the exhaust system, and the motor mounts seem to be supporting the engine O K. Has any one out there come across this happening. Thanks.
  • I havent had the problem, I was just locked out of my gas tank. They say that the lid door gets stuck. and it cost $100.00 to have the sensor replaced. the gas cap comes off its just the door doesnt open. the only way to get inside it to take apart the backpanelling ( by the hatch back section apart and pus the door open. Why cant the have a manual lever like most carrs. My next car wont be a nissan,unless its simple.....My murano 04 trying to trade in I want a Honda accord
  • Anyone here know why the climate control would stop working?

The outside temperature says -22°F outside, when it was about 70°F outside.
    So I can't get the AC to work. Anyone else experience this and what the fix was?

My CEL light is also on again right after I had the dealer fix it for $500. Transmission might be going again as well. Only 70,000 miles.

Not sure if my next car will be another Nissan.
  • if you search other message boards, its the accuator. my dealer first replaced the relay and then when it occurred again, they finally replaced the accuator.

you can buy a honds accord, but don't think they are perfect. just read the threads written by those who purchased an 08 accord with automatic tranny.
    they are screaming about enging surging due to the cylinder deactivation program. I'll take a stuck gas door any day of the week. in general, nissans with the v6 and cvt have been very reliable.

and yes, I have an 03 and i put up with a lot of repairs, e.g., recall on alternator, seat repair, clicking from front wheel (front wheel adjusting nut not tight enough) etc. still, given all the problems people have with cars, its has been ok, since the dealer has mostly been reasonable. I don't think that nissan corporate is worth a dam though. rr70
  • I have a 05 marano and i got abot 50K on it. When i step on the brakes, it makes this clicking sound? and its only when i step on the brakes and it happens about 80% of the time. Does anyone know what it could be? Thanks C
  • I have an 06 SL with only 18K miles, well taken care of. I started experiencing with car feeling sluggish, no power at acceleration. I was told the throttle needed maintenance and was not covered in the warranty. This is my first and probably last Nissan. Always owned toyota's brand new and drove them for 10+ yrs and never experienced any problems. Any repairs are also very expensive in comparision to Toyotas,or Am I being ripped off because I am a woman. :mad: :( :sick: what's next :confuse:
  • jenahljenahl Posts: 3
    No, no, you're not being ripped off, I have an 07 Murano SL with 44K miles and the throttle service is part of the maintenance schedule. Expensive I must say but I just get it done all at once and they charged me $200, which included an oil change, tire rotation, new microfilter, and the usual inspection.
  • d1aned1ane Posts: 6
    Recent Murano owner, (2005) and having some key fob issues. I think the battery is dead. How can I open up the fob and replace the battery myself??

Thanks!
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,251
    The manual says to open the fob lid with a suitable tool. Usually that means a quarter or other coin. The coin fits in the fob opening where the key ring is and twisting the coin should pop it open.

If you need a manual, check Where To Find Your Car Owner's Manual Online for a link.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.