Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

has anyone heard of metallic flip?

whale76whale76 Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Mitsubishi
I just got my 2001 Mitsu Galant back from a reputable body shop and noticed that in the direct sunlight the metallic effect did not exist that once did. The car is a dark red, and in the sun the parts that were re painted look pink and have no reflective qualities at all. The service advisor said that he has seen this before and it's called metallic flip. If I stand at the front of the car and look the paint kind of matches, but once I walk to the rear and look I get that non-reflective pink looking color. Needless to say the shop has to fix this before I will accept the car back. So is there really a term called metallic flip, or was the service advisor just making that up to cover up a horrible paint job.

Comments

• swschradswschrad Member Posts: 2,171
    first thought is that the paint vehicle is below the metallic material, second thought is that the paint mixture was not kept mixed, mixed, mixed, MIXED!! while the tech was working with it, and it separated out. bigfur used to spray, he'd know for sure.

"horrible paint job" sounds technically close enough ;)
  • 0patience0patience Member Posts: 1,712
    swschrad hit it on the head.
    It is called poor quality.
    Poor quality paint and poor quality spray.
    As was stated, if the paint is not mixed enough or they purchase low quality paint, there isn't enough metal flake in the paint to "blend" the new work to the old work. Ask them what brand paint they are using. If it isn't a name brand like Dupont, Sherwin or MartinSenour, then it would be best to look elsewhere for a quality paint work. If this is an insurance repair, then contact your insurance adjuster and explain to them the problem and that the paint is not to OEM specs.

Not saying it couldn't happen, but it would take a severe electrical problem to create an effect where all the metal flake went the same way.
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,363
    according to the amount of light that hits it and the angle of the light hitting it. Some cars are painted this way using a special multi-layer process.

I had a Pearl White Metallic Audi ($1200 option!) that would look anything from light silver to ivory or plain white depending on the type of light or time of day. I'm sure these are the devil to match after bodywork is done.

That may be what this problem is about, however you should be able to see some metal flake and the painted area should not stand out from the surrounding area.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

and with metalflake included, I shudder at the possibilities.

I was looking hard at a nice pearl white explorer when I waited for mine to come off the order list and into the lot, but there was a little rail rash visible as rust on the drivers' door next to the window channel, and fixing that, let alone the usual dings and stone chips, led me to walk away.

I guess the rule on SuperPaint is probably going to be go to the best shop(s) in town, and be ready to have whole panels (maybe even sides in the case of directional color stuff) painted, instead of little touch-up jobs.

and don't accept anything that looks like Dutch Boy and used rollers were used in the repainting. Not the right product or technique, and a car isn't supposed to look like the hallway outside the kids' room.
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    I thought Metallic Flip was a new band from Seattle...
    or possibly No Primer :-D
  • boredbored Member Posts: 300
  • mudflatmudflat Member Posts: 47
    It isn't as bad as alligatoring or fish eyes.
    nasty. bad or nonexistent mixing with solvent, contaminated surface, material incompatibility, spraygun from Hell can all contribute to it.
This discussion has been closed.