Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Aveo Sedan

Comments

• alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    to a page with pics/info on the Aveo, other than what is already on edmunds.com?

~alpha
  • logic1logic1 Posts: 2,433
    has some photos. Not a whole lot yet.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Posts: 5,713
    it goes all the way back to post #1 of this thread.

http://osx.wieck.com/pv/WKA/2003/02/12/WKA2003021240033_pv.jpg

2011 Kia Soul Sport 5-speed

thank you, sorry I didnt scroll backward.
    I will say that I like it. It looks like a solidly built little car, handsome and you will like the price. Depreciation may not be as steep as it's a Chevrolet, actually a Daewoo in Chevy clothing. I prefer the Aveo 5-door hatchback. We have posted pictures of it(check the Edmunds thread "Chevy's entry level import-fighters")and it has a more European look(Italian designed). Are these on lots yet and has anybody test-drove one yet? Anybody have exact prices being asked for the Aveo 4-door sedan and 5-door hatch?

who haven't seen it yet.
    http://www.channel4.com/apps26/4car/jsp/main.jsp?lnk=231_2&pa- - - - - - - ge=1&reviewid=550

I read a very good review of it at the bookstore yesterday in the British car magazine CAR that was very honest and to the point. They mentioned that the looks are different that anything offered out there and refreshing. Also that the Kalos is a good value and fun to drive. If I was to estimate what they thought of Aveo(Kalos in England)I would say they give it a B+ grade. Believe me, too, these guys will ravage a model if they don't like it. They DON'T HOLD BACK AT ALL.

The way I see, right now there are three cars competing in the subcompact class: the Accent, the Rio, and the Echo. I think the Accent is the best by far, its a shame ABS is completely unavailable. I particularly think the GT hatchback is a sharp vehicle, with its standard side airbags and nice lines. At under 13K MSRP loaded, and a selling price of 10K, I think its one of the better values out there, certainly best at the price.

I find the Aveo not as attractive. I really cant comment on anything else about it- I dont know enough.

~alpha
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    Sounds like finally the Big 3 have a small car that can actually compete with the competition. (Which in this case is only the Hyundai Accent and the Kia Rio)
  • dimitriedimitrie Posts: 7
    anyone know if chevy is going to put out some type of incentive to current daewoo owners(have a '00 Lanos) to maybe trade in their car for a chevy badge daewoo??
  • a_l_hubcapsa_l_hubcaps Posts: 518
    dimitrie-

I doubt it. GM doesn't want to get stuck with a bunch of used Daewoos. They're tough to sell at any price because of hysteria over alleged parts shortages.

What you might find, though, is that Daewoo parts become more readily available when the GM and Suzuki rebadged models appear. Some parts will likely be interchangeable with the older models, and (I'm just speculating here) GM and Suzuki might even import parts specifically for the old Daewoos, since they will have to set up a parts distribution link for their own models anyway.

By the way, what's the parts situation really like for Daewoo owners these days? Can you buy new parts easily, or are you salvage-yard scavenging?

-Andrew L
  • libertycatlibertycat Posts: 593
    just an overpriced subcompact (I can't understand why anyone would buy one) and its only subcompact competitors are the Toyota Echo, Kia Rio, and Hyundai Accent. From looking at the Aveo, my ranking of these four is;
    1)Echo,2)Rio,3)Accent,4)Aveo,5)Cavalier.
    And guess what the highest priced one is.
    The General needs the extra jingle or he won't proceed further. The high cost of GM vehicles is only one reason why I'll probably never buy a GM vehicle. The only one I'd consider would be a GM Daewoo Auto & Technology Co. Aveo-whoops, I mean a Chevy Aveo, tee-hee.

• npgmbrnpgmbr Posts: 248
    Although I think Bob Lutz will do great things for GM I'd caution him not to stray too far from the homeland.

What I mean is the name Aveo in no way sounds American. If Chevy begins giving its vehicles foreign designations I'm not sure how the public might take to them.
  • avemanaveman Posts: 122
    I have no clue as to the origin of the name Aveo, but it sounds kind of cool to me. It has a nice ring to it.It has a much better ring to it to me than Cobalt. I guess the name could grow on you and I wouldn't let the name stop me from likeing or buying the car.That is the name that may replace Cavalier as the car above Aveo.The name Cobalt is too close to Coal.Lump of coal is what I associate with the word cobalt. Hopefully the majority of folks are a lot smarter than me. I would love to see Pontiac get a Daewoo built cross utility vehicle.The Scoope concept vehicle has Pontiac written all over it. Now that is what I would call product diversification.
    It's affordable, no-frills transportation that's got that new car smell. (kinda like the Rio) The name Cobalt makes me think, piece of junk.
  • ffmcobaltffmcobalt Posts: 20
    Um... okay the Aveo and the Cavalier are not even in the same class. Why are people comparing the two? Why does the Cavalier even come into conversation when talking about the Aveo and it's competitors? Totally different class of vehicle...

Anyway, http://www.media.gm.com/ has lots of information on the Aveo. You might have to search for it, but I found this:

http://media.gm.com/division/chevrolet/news/releases/030212_aveo.- html
  • dindakdindak Posts: 6,632
    Aveo, Epica and Optra.

http://www.gmcanada.com/nglish/vehicles/chevrolet/chevrolet.html

I think the Aveo is fine for competing with KIA/Hyundia but I see the other two Korean Chevys canabolizing Malibu, Cobalt and Impala sales. Not sure of the logic here.

Anyway, I saw all three at the Toronto Auto show and they looked pretty good though dull aside from the Aveo hatchback which was kind of funky.
  • corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 4,216
    I think the link dindak posted was supposed to be:

http://www.gmcanada.com/english/vehicles/chevrolet/chevrolet.html

So, what sort of incentive package will Chevrolet be introducing these models with?
  • jjs61062jjs61062 Posts: 1
    I think it's great for Chevy to re-enter the low end market with the Aveo. Ford needs to do the same thing. Many people are just looking for basic transportation. Not everyone needs or can afford a $20,000 car.
    The Cavalier is subcompact sized and is under huge discounts due to its UGLY, cheap interior and overall lack of competitiveness so the price would be similar to an Aveo.
    Once again, my 2005 subcompact sedan order is:
    1)Toyota Echo
    2)Kia Rio
    3)Hyundai Accent
    4)Chevrolet Aveo
    5)Chevrolet Cavalier
    Sad, considering the Cavalier is the highest priced yet the least competitive.
    wins big points with me by offering standard front side impact airbags that protect both head and chest regions.

~alpha
  • Is it just me or do those parking lights on the Aveo remind you of parking lights reborn from something GM use to make like maybe the 1995-1996 Oldsmobile mini van???
  • dindakdindak Posts: 6,632
    Even the new Echo is just ugly. Aside from the Toyota quality mystic, there is nothing great about that car. With rebates (at least up here), the Cavalier is actually just about the cheapest right now and you get a 140hp Ecotec. Unfortunately the interior is poor and the rest of the car is pretty old.
  • corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 4,216
    libertycat,
    If you are considering its weight or interior room, I suppose the Cavalier qualifies as a subcompact. However, at 180.9" in length, the Cavalier sedan is longer than a BMW 3-series 4-door (176") or the Honda Civic sedan (174.6"), both of which are considered nothing smaller than compact. "Subpar" would be a better descriptor for the Cavalier.
    subcompact by interior space and a large exterior is even worse. interior is where compact is better and exterior is where subcompact is better. I LOVE the Echo's styling. It is beautiful, has a great interior for the price, and nice available features.
    The Echo is a nice car that doesn't scream: "CHEAP!!!!!!!!" The Aveo sounds good, and with the GM card, will be pretty affordable for college kids who want a brand new car that isn't from Korea. (Well, the car IS from Korea, but college kids will think that it's an American car, since it's got that Chevy bow-tie badge.)
    Americans or Koreans. I just wonder how many American people will know it's built by the former Daewoo Motors of Korea.

• You know, Chevy could jump right into the "hot hatch" segment by shoehorning the Ecotec into that Aveo..or maybe putting a supercharger in it and a funky hood scoop. And beef up the suspension of course...but who knows? It'd beat a "performance" Cavalier.
  • wsag26wsag26 Posts: 124
    I've been reading practically all of the posts on this board frequently and see that over 50% of the messages are about Cavalier... This is about the future Aveo. To go and talk about the next gen Cavalier (nicknamed Colbat) go to there message board it is so confusing.
This discussion has been closed.