Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet Aveo Sedan

Comments

• fastdriver2fastdriver2 Posts: 19
    bigdaddycoats -

Thanks for all the links. I will try e-mailing GM first before I call them.

As for lask of an armrest- I have one in the Acura. There was none in the Corolla. The only thing I miss about it is the storage area for various items. If Chevy offered one, I would try it out to see how it looks and feels.

fastdriver2 AKA fastdriver
  • chrisducatichrisducati Posts: 394
    Isn't it odd how one market will have some options and other will not. Who is the bean head that picks these things. You should see what the car looks like in Europe with the sports pack on it. Talk about sporty!
  • chrisducatichrisducati Posts: 394
    Very nice. I'm not a sedan lover but yours looks nice in silver. The lack of an arm rest is odd. Kia and Hyundai have them standard. I only drive 5 speeds because I hate automatics. I can see where a person that has an automatic would really want the arm rest. Hopefully GM will listen to the customer base and have a few upgrades soon.
    My only real moan about the car is I think the top of the dash and the back of the gauge hood should be black or very dark flat gray. Better yet offer a darker gray and maybe a tan interior with black dash top like VW... It my just be me but as it stands now the reflection of the dash in the windshield is annoying. Chrysler had this same problem when it first started selling Neon' s. The angle of the windshield reflected the light gray dash. It was so bad it was dangerous. We put a black dash cover on so we could drive the thing. That is another story...
  • aveodriveraveodriver Posts: 9
    Congrats on the delivery of your silver Aveo, fastdriver.

I bought a white sedan in February. We've driven it round trip TX to NY in March (sure wish it had cruise), now have 8000 miles on it. I just did the first oil change and tire rotation. Some South Korean gorilla torqued the oil filter on at the factory - I had to punch a screwdriver through it to get the leverage to remove it. We have been very happy with the aveo so far. The gas mileage is OK, but what really sold me on this car is the interior space, appearance and comfort, and the quiet ride. Also, my wife never did like the monster Dodge truck we traded in.
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    You must be saving a lot of gasoline $$$ driving the AVEO compared to the Dodge you traded in!
  • fastdriverfastdriver Posts: 2,273
    bigdaddycoats-

I took your advice and e-mailed someone last night at GM about this "elusive" GM "SPORT APPEARANCE PACKAGE" that comes with 14" aluminum wheels, fog lamps and mudguards. Besides the GM Fleet site, I also found it on one of the links at the GM media sites that you gave me. At the bottom of that page was the name of the same woman that I wrote to! No answer yet!

fastdriver

PS This screename is working again after several days of NOTHING! NO clue as to how it just started working again. I changed NOTHING on this end. Wonder if it has anything to do with how much you post and WHAT you say? Sylvia blocked my fastdriver2 screename that I COULD sign in with because she said I couldn't have two accounts!
    Yep, I am getting about 29MPG average with the Aveo, vs 16MPG average with the truck. The '02 Dodge was a great truck, but I couldn't justify the high cost of owning, running and insuring it. I've always been partial to small cars, and I'm glad I have another one. (I started out with a '73 PINTO !)

I wasn't going to pick white for the aveo until I saw one at the dealer. The only other choices at the time were the light blue or dark blue. The red hatch I first drove sold pretty quick. The wife was NOT going to go for the hatch anyway. Funny how some people are just dead set against hatchbacks. Probably a carryover from the Pinto and Vega and Gremlin days.
    aveodriver-

I have NOT seen a white AVEO or a Lt. Blue one. The local dealer has the red, bright blue, black and silver. The green, I saw at the car show in RI in February on a hatchback. As for gas mileage, I haven't used up my FIRST tank yet! :-)))

fastdriver
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Hey fastdriver, glad to see your account is working again. In the future if you have any more trouble, you need to use the Town Hall Help link of the left side of the page. If you re-check your Membership Agreement, you will see that registering under more than one member ID is not allowed.

That said, none of this type conversation belongs in our topic-oriented discussions. You are welcome to pursue this via email with me or Sylvia or via that Help link.

Thanks, and I hope your login problems don't return!
    I haven't seen a light blue one at all. I did see a stripped down white one without alloy wheels in front of a Wal Mart parking lot one day while leaving, though, and I did see a silver one pull out of a Shell Gas Station a few weeks back, not to mention those red and blue Enterprise rentals I saw two months back.
    All new owners of aveos - check the tire pressure. They ship with around 45 or 50 lbs, and the dealer is supposed to let down to 35 lbs as part of the make-ready process, but my dealer didn't.
    aveodriver -

LOL.. funny you mention that. I DID bring my tire gauge with me when I went to pick up my car, but forgot to check the pressure. As soon as I hit the first tar strip, I knew they were OVER inflated! Mine did have 45 lbs. in each tire too.

They are now at 30 lbs.

fastdriver
    Can someone tell me what those two little round lens are next to the headlights? What is their function?

fastdriver
    frenchcar & jchan2-

I didn't get my current issue of Motor Trend yet. Maybe it will come today.

I never drove any of the other cars that supposedly compete with the AVEO, but just remember how they made fun of Hyundai the past several years. Now look where they stand in the current JD Power survey! ;-)) Right up there with Toyota!

Besides, they drive so many cars that they never get a chance to live with it everyday except in their long term tests. Testing a car for a day or so doesn't make you appreciate all the little nuances a car may have that they may not notice with a quick drive.

Everytime I do something to the AVEO, I notice something new like the little lip on the trunk and the nice curve at the bottom of the rear bumper that doesn't have a little cutout with a scrawny exhaust sticking out! Little touches that add to its charm. I did a size comparison with the Toyota Corolla and the AVEO sedan and they are just about the exact same inside even though the AVEO is shorter.

So far, so good. Everything works, nothing leaks, nothing fell off and the car goes straight! What more could one ask for? ;-))))

fastdriver
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,629
    Interesting you'd mention how they have treated Hyundai. When you look at the few reviews they have done on Hyundais over the past few years compared to other car mags and Edmunds.com, MT has pretty much ignored Hyundai. For example, they did not even consider the Elantra GT in their COTY voting in the year it was eligible. When they do comparos, they tend to exclude Hyundais. Other reviewers, including C/D, CR, and Edmunds.com, have been mostly favorable about Hyundais over the past few years. They have even been saying nice things about Kias lately.
    Now that I think back about it, they haven't tested a Hyundai in a comparison test in a long time. In fact, I forget the isse they tested it in!
    Today was the first time I opened the hood of the AVEO for a minute! I discovered TWO fans behind the radiator. I also answered my question above about those two rounds "lights" next to the headlights. They're NOTHING. Dummies. It looks like you could put some lights in there. It must be a Canadian thing like the fog lights!

I'll have to write to that Chevy dealer again up there and ask him if the Canadian AVEO'S have bulbs in there.

Still no answer from that lady I wrote to at Chevy. Maybe she was away for the long weekend.

Enjoy the weekend all. Happy Memorial Day to all- five of you here! ;-))))

fastdriver
    I read on some website that the top speed of the Aveo is 110 MPH, "drag limited".

Has anyone been able to exceed 110 MPH? I got mine up to 110, and even on a downhill section of interstate, it would NOT go any faster. I only held it at 110 for a mile of so, then backed off. I do not normally speed, but I like to know what the car will do.
  • lbeasmanlbeasman Posts: 10
    Hello everybody-new to the Edmund's site. Very good info.
     I' am in a dilemma--Need a good reliable econobox. Got a 10 yr old Windstar to get rid of but also paying on an '03 Dodge Durango. Obvious $$ is tight. Looking for something closer to< $15k
    Issue to debate--What should I get---4 dr base Chevy Aveo or Saturn ION 1.they are real close in pricing.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    Are those your only two choices because of a GM credit card? If not, the Hyundai Elantra warrants VERY SERIOUS consideration. A basic GLS offers a lot more car for the money than either the ION or Aveo, and after the $2000 rebate (but before tax, title, license) the 5-speed model is only $11,000.
    Something to consider.

~alpha
This discussion has been closed.