Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suzuki Forenza

Comments

• libertycatlibertycat Posts: 593
    Very cool commercial.
  • regfootballregfootball Posts: 2,166
    i don't think you got the joke........six degrees of separation from kevin bacon...its a popular cultural phenomenon....not implying the car is fat.........chill buddy
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    Sounds like these cars might push the Aerio AWD out of the market, as there's no one interested in the Aerio anymore. (I still am. Cheap AWD and that killer warranty to boot)
  • jchan-

Why would it push the AWD out of the market? The Forenza is FWD. If anything, it will clash with the FWD Aerio sedan. However, I think Suzuki might be right that they will attract different types of buyers. The Aerio is more of a funky looking car for people who like the JDM look, while the Forenza is more classy and conservative. They may be in the same segment size and pricewise, but they are at opposite ends of it.

-Andrew L
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    If just for its MUCH more powerful engine. Is Suzuki/GM/Daewoo serious with the output of the Forenzas engine?

The Aerio drives reasonably nicely, not a home run, very different, but nice. I test drove one when they were first introduced (a Sedan not the SX) and was fairly pleased, but IMO, I'd rather have an Elantra if warranty is paramount.

~alpha
  • bmcclainbmcclain Posts: 39
    The Forenza will have the same engine and transmission as the Nubira, yet make less power? The Nubira was already LEV so is something else sapping the power? I hope that it isn't the same GM transmission... while it shifts smoothly, the unlocking torque converter drives me crazy sometimes (a design flaw of the transmission). It stays unlocked for seconds on end when the throttle is adjusted (usually let off of). I really like the note of the engine in my Nubira, but it is loud. It doesn't bother me, but the horn is loud on the outside, yet quiet on the inside. The engine is loud on the inside... even with all of the anti-noise measures (which work - the horn is an example). So, why didn't Daewoo/Suzuki use the 2.0 liter version of its own L6 engine? And out of all possible design themes, they chose to keep the speedometer without markings for 55, 65, 75, 85 and so on!
    because I could buy AWD and be totally different than everyone else. You don't see a lot of Aerios cruising around, do you? But you do see a lot of Corollas, Cavaliers, and Civics. So why not be unique?
  • I like the Hyundai Elantra GT hatchback. I think Suzuki should offer a sporty hatch it that flavor.
    They soon will be selling the Nubira/forenza sedan. Why not sell the Lacetti hatch here also. Give it the 155hp 2.3 out of the Aerio and standard leather. It could be a Elantra GT killer. It looks much better than the GT. The rear has an RX 8 look to it. For a look at it go to GM europe at http://www.daewoo-auto.com/
  • avemanaveman Posts: 122
    It would be nice if Suzuki brings the hatch over at some point. I don't think the engine from the Aerio will find it's way into the hatch.GM Daewoo will have some very nice product. It remains to be seen if the US market will get the goods. For now it seems Suzuki is the only hope because the meger GM warranty will kill off some of their sales.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    Overall, this car looks to be much less competitive in its segment than the newly introduced Verona is in the midsize class. Too bad, I think Suzuki missed an opportunity.

~alpha
    but I looked at the Rezzo/Tacuma and it looks pretty nice. Rebadge it as a Suzuki, and sell it for $16K. I'll be first in line!!!!
  • LOL that was just a joke, but it means well. Why? Consider this: combine great points of the Aerio and combine that with great points of the Forenza! Good idea? I think so!

Engine: Why does such a nice car (Forenza) have a pretty pathetic engine??
    Solution: Put the Aerio's new 2.3L I4 16V 155HP engine in the Forenza's bay! If the Aerio could handle a 2.0L as it did before, why can't the Forenza?

Stereo: They both have pretty good stereo systems..just one thing though - - put the Aerio's subwoofer (which is under the driver's seat) in the Forenza! Voila! Problem solved.

Get rid of the Aerio sedan, but put all of the great things from it and put those in the Forenza. I like the Aerio sedan, but honestly it isn't doing that great! I like the Aerio SX a lot though..and if you put great things from one car to another and the other way around, MIRACLES COULD HAPPEN FOR SUZUKI!!! :)
  • the Suzuki web site now lists the Forenza's engine hp as 129. much better than the 119 hp first reported.
    made them change the numbers???? some lost horsepower found at last????
  • GM is messing with the power ratings. I guess it is just estimates of before and after they were certified for emissions. The same has happened to GM's other Daewoo,the Chevy Aveo. It has had a change in advertised power also.
  • jkobtyjkobty Posts: 99
    I think it is amazing that they kept the exact same engine in the Nubira. For Daewoo owners this is a good thing, as you can now service your Nubira at the chevy and Suzuki dealerships.
    But this is 2004 model year, and really they should not have used a 1996 model year GM Ecotec engine. At a minimum they should have used the latest Ecotec, and better still they should have used Daewoos 2.0L version of the new Inline 6 in the Verona.
    It does use a GM tranny, but it looks a bit different than the Nubira one. And it still does not have a dipstick.
    I think they did that on purpose to give all those poor Lanos/Nubira and Leganza drivers out there a place to service their cars and maybe be able to sell them onto that Verona, Aveo or some other GM car. At least get them inside the dealer, and then pitch them a Malibu, Grand Prix or some sort of GM car.
  • What? the Auto trans doesnt have a Dipstick? how do you know what the fluid level is? I know most manual gear boxes do not have a dip stick.
    Apparently GM thinks car owners should not be worried about the tranny oil level. I am not sure what the reasoning is, but I heard a mechanic say that todays trannies are very sensitive to any foreign material accidentally entering the transmission, so the tranny is sealed completely.
    You can still check the level by raising the car, and removing a particular screw from on the bottom of the tranny. This screw has markers and you can tell if the level is correct. But it is a pain, and I have never done it.
    BTW, it is not only GM and daewoo using these trannies. BMW uses them as well.
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,784
    I drove a Forenza S 5-speed today and posted my comments here:
    backy "Low End Cars: Japanese v. American v. European v. Korean" Dec 19, 2003 10:08pm

BTW, the window sticker said 126 hp.
  • Perhaps the loss of power is due to the addition of engine balance shafts. GM's quadfour engine lost about 5hp when they added balance shafts to it. The engine in the Nubira does not have them (vibrates at idle) and it's already LEV...

The interior of the Forenza rocks, completely out of its price range. I'm getting used to the exterior styling (the front, the rest is great). Sometimes it looks powerful and angry (hence "Lacetti" from lacertus), the other times it's too rounded and soft. I never have liked anything that Pininfarina styled... I am glad to see Daewoo go back to its roots with the C-D pillar window slice.

I would buy one if I couldn't afford a Magnus, and for some reason ceased to like the Aerio... and had to replace my Nubira, which ain't happenin'.
  • rctennis3811rctennis3811 Posts: 1,031
    It'll be interesting next year when the Aerio gets an interior styling update. Two sedans in the same segment from the same company both with great interiors. LOL :)
    with two different personalities. The Aerio- for those adventurous people, who like camping. The Forenza and upcoming Reno, for those that would like something more practical, for the urban commute. In other words, a Korean Corolla, with a lower price.
    I wish the Reno/Forenza had the Aerio's engine.
    :(
    isn't a bad thing, really. More power would be nice though.
  • Aerio's 2.0l engine at the least. The Holden engine eats timing belts, Suzuki engines have a chain.

I hope that Suzuki keeps the digital dash in the Aerio.
    Next year's Aerio won't have the digital dash. It gets a freshened interior with the same steering wheel, automatic transmission lever, and climate controls from the XL7.
  • That's absurd! Thank you whiny media for ruining a step forward in the industry! The tachometer could make due with a guage maybe, though only if it includes a numerical readout! It's nearly impossible to know the speed precisely without a number! My world is ruined!

After I reduce all media publications to rubble, I'll buy a used Aerio... *plot plot*
    I would like it if a beige interior were offered.