Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Suzuki Forenza

Comments

• davidd5davidd5 Posts: 79
    In Canada we don't get the Forenza,we a car called the Swift. Very small,but also a Daewoo car. I think it's a mistake to bring these cars here. Daewoo tryed here and in the U.S. Both FAILED. Suzuki already makes cars for others markets that are not sold here. Why not try them first, instead of cars from a FAILED company in Canada and the U.S.
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    I was all ready to laugh, but this car actually has a chance here. A new name and engine wouldn't hurt though. The interior is pure VW and Ford Mondeo, the Ford being patterned after the VW in the first place. This has to make all those former Daewoo dealers irate.

M
  • hbrow00hbrow00 Posts: 31
    from Suzuki, here.
  • hbrow00hbrow00 Posts: 31
    As was stated in msg 6, Canada will get the car as a Chevrolet Optra. There is a problem in the article, though. The picture is of the small sedan (Kalos/Aveo), but the stats are for the Lacetti/Forenza (such as the 2.0 liter engine). Maybe the Aveo hatchback will be called the Swift and the sedan is the Optra? Or maybe the Optra is the Forenza. Unclear.

Anyway, the Korean model is the "Lacetti," (a 3rd iteration of the "Nubira.") The U.S. model is the Suzuki Forenza, and the Canadian model is the Chevrolet Optra (maybe).

And similar naming acrobatics were performed on the smaller Kalos/Chevrolet Aveo/Suzuki Swift and the larger Magnus/Suzuki Verona/Chevrolet Epica.

H.
  • jkobtyjkobty Posts: 99
    Actually that canadian article had the wrong photo attached to it. The Chevy Optra is the Suzuki Forenza is the Lacetti is the 3rd generation Nubira. The Kalos is coming to Canada as the Aveo and the Swift, and the Magnus/Leganza as the Chevy Epica and the Suzuki Verona. From what I saw at the Toronto auto show there is a difference between the Chevy and Suzuki models. It has to do with the quality of the trim. The Chevy's were more cheap and had an ugly plastic grille. While the Suzuki's seemed more Daewooish with better trim, and kept the original daewoo Grilles as they appear on the Korean models but with an 'S' in the middle of the Grille.
    The new Nubira/Forenza/Optra will use the same existing Nubira powertrain. The Nubira was not based on anything GM makes. It was designed from scratch at the worthington technical center in the UK. The only GM heritage in it is the powertrain being identical engine to the Holden/Opel/Vauxhall Vectras 2.0L DOHC, and using the GM4T40E auto tranny.
    The only Daewoo car that was fully based on an Opel platform is the Lanos which is an enhanced Opel Kadett.
  • regfootballregfootball Posts: 2,166
    somehow, those cars have a relation to Kevin Bacon somewhere.......
  • libertycatlibertycat Posts: 593
    I would appreciate it if you stoppped making rude comments about cars. These cars are VERY nice looking IMO and I'm sure many other people agree. I find it very nice that leather is available on such a cheap car. GO SUZUKI!
    http://media.suzuki.com/auto/ has great info about the Forenza. I saw this a few months ago and noticed there was no link to it here.
  • arg11arg11 Posts: 5
    Message #24 has a link. :)

Not precisely the same link, of course. . .
    Very cool commercial.
  • regfootballregfootball Posts: 2,166
    i don't think you got the joke........six degrees of separation from kevin bacon...its a popular cultural phenomenon....not implying the car is fat.........chill buddy
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    Sounds like these cars might push the Aerio AWD out of the market, as there's no one interested in the Aerio anymore. (I still am. Cheap AWD and that killer warranty to boot)
  • jchan-

Why would it push the AWD out of the market? The Forenza is FWD. If anything, it will clash with the FWD Aerio sedan. However, I think Suzuki might be right that they will attract different types of buyers. The Aerio is more of a funky looking car for people who like the JDM look, while the Forenza is more classy and conservative. They may be in the same segment size and pricewise, but they are at opposite ends of it.

-Andrew L
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    If just for its MUCH more powerful engine. Is Suzuki/GM/Daewoo serious with the output of the Forenzas engine?

The Aerio drives reasonably nicely, not a home run, very different, but nice. I test drove one when they were first introduced (a Sedan not the SX) and was fairly pleased, but IMO, I'd rather have an Elantra if warranty is paramount.

~alpha
  • bmcclainbmcclain Posts: 39
    The Forenza will have the same engine and transmission as the Nubira, yet make less power? The Nubira was already LEV so is something else sapping the power? I hope that it isn't the same GM transmission... while it shifts smoothly, the unlocking torque converter drives me crazy sometimes (a design flaw of the transmission). It stays unlocked for seconds on end when the throttle is adjusted (usually let off of). I really like the note of the engine in my Nubira, but it is loud. It doesn't bother me, but the horn is loud on the outside, yet quiet on the inside. The engine is loud on the inside... even with all of the anti-noise measures (which work - the horn is an example). So, why didn't Daewoo/Suzuki use the 2.0 liter version of its own L6 engine? And out of all possible design themes, they chose to keep the speedometer without markings for 55, 65, 75, 85 and so on!
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    because I could buy AWD and be totally different than everyone else. You don't see a lot of Aerios cruising around, do you? But you do see a lot of Corollas, Cavaliers, and Civics. So why not be unique?
  • I like the Hyundai Elantra GT hatchback. I think Suzuki should offer a sporty hatch it that flavor.
    They soon will be selling the Nubira/forenza sedan. Why not sell the Lacetti hatch here also. Give it the 155hp 2.3 out of the Aerio and standard leather. It could be a Elantra GT killer. It looks much better than the GT. The rear has an RX 8 look to it. For a look at it go to GM europe at http://www.daewoo-auto.com/
  • avemanaveman Posts: 122
    It would be nice if Suzuki brings the hatch over at some point. I don't think the engine from the Aerio will find it's way into the hatch.GM Daewoo will have some very nice product. It remains to be seen if the US market will get the goods. For now it seems Suzuki is the only hope because the meger GM warranty will kill off some of their sales.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    Overall, this car looks to be much less competitive in its segment than the newly introduced Verona is in the midsize class. Too bad, I think Suzuki missed an opportunity.

~alpha