Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Idle or Stalling Problems - All Vehicles

Comments

• steve1961steve1961 Posts: 6
    F150 FORD PICKUP 5.8 1998 IT IS LIKE IT HAS A MISS WHILE DRIVING CHECK ENGINE LIGHT IS ON WE HAD IT PLUG UP TO COM AT AUTO ZONE IT SAID PLUG AND COIL NEEDED AND REPLACED THE PLUGS AND COILS AND IT IS STILL DOING IT AND GETTING WORSE WITH THE MISS IT IT BUCKS AND JUMPS
    PLEASE HELP
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,408
    do you mean 5.4L or the 4.6L engine?

• fordfan_17fordfan_17 Posts: 175
    sounds like you might have it scanned by a transmission shop that does free road test and diagnosis. have the tech watch live data not just pull codes. have him check specifically torque converter clutch operation the bucking could be a tcc failure just a thought hope it helps
  • hstandehstande Posts: 5
    My car is at the shop right now. They think it may be a short in the ignition switch or the ignition harness. I soon as they call be I will let you know.
  • hstandehstande Posts: 5
    Ok they got back with me the problem is the turn signal switch. The one the has your cruise/washer and turn signal all in one. So I should have my car back here any day.
    it has a 5.4L thank you for your help
    THANK YOU SO YOU THINK IT COULD TRANSMISSION RELATED INSTEAD OF ENGINE PLEASE REPLY BACK THANK YOU
  • fordfan_17fordfan_17 Posts: 175
    this is a common complaint and we see it all the time especially in colorado with all the mountains and hills to climb torque converter clutch wears out and the vehicle bucks and stutters excessively especially going up hills..tcc slip ratio can be watched on live data on a snapon or mac mentor scanner most shops have some form of good scanner a code puller will not be able to watch live data therefore autozone or other supply shops wont be able to get the info you need thats why i recommend a trans shop that does free road tests and diagnosis
    Gene
  • joe390joe390 Posts: 7
    Car starts and runs, engine revs in park/neutral, but when driving/most noticeable on hills, can press the gas pedal through full range and no increase of power, until all the way to the floor, and power kicks in. Fuel pressure is within specs with key on and at idle. No DTC's(codes) are coming up. Compared throttle position sensor with new one(metered resistance through range and ok). Plugs/wires replaced and no change. There is tapping from engine(valves?), but am told it has been prior to problem. Next plan to do compression check. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Joe
  • I have replaced the Cam Shaft Sensor and the Catalytic Converter and it is still doing the same thing. The van starts fine and it idols fine, but after driving it about 15 miles it starts to buck, spit and then it stalls. No codes show on the tester and I have been told that the fuel system checks out. How can I fix my vehicle?
  • If you already check your fuel sistem and is workin properly, check for spark problems, probably you have some spark jumping on ground some where or the module is not working good. What happen is, the module is a set of "wires" inside and some times when the "wires" get hot inside it make like a short, and decrese the spark power.
    Also this 3.4L engine have 3 Spark Plugs close to the firewall that is a pain in the neck to replace it, check this out too.

Check and let us know!
    Good lock!
  • bchee1bchee1 Posts: 2
    I have the same problem, saw suggestion that the panel board behind the steering column might have bad solder joints,

Please email: bchee@yahoo.com if you see a fix., thanks
    Please don't use e-mail if you have a good answer. Post it here so that all the members can take advantage of it!

thanks!

• glomarglomar Posts: 1
    Hi everyone

I have a question, I have a 2003 Hyundai Elantra and lately when I stop at a light the car act like it wants to stall but doesn't. Can anyone tell me what it may be. I want to take it in but lately when shop see a women they just tell us anything and then wouldn't fix the real problem :sick: of shop owners......taking advantage of women
  • i have a 1998 mazda protege lx its got 157830 miles. anyway, i got this problem...check engine light has been on and off (due to disconnection of battery to reset computer "chiltons way" ) for 1 1/2 years and has not been running properly for 8 months cant even get it to accelerate but idles nice.(got a obd2 code reader,diagnosed and came up with this) i replaced the mass airflow sensor ( 297 dollars ) wich stoped the check engine light and yet it still idles fine but accelerates really poor it chugs and putters when i apply foot to gas pedal but when i baby it nice and slow from under the hood it accelerates descent ( when its throttled down very slow ) and no other code appears on the code reader anyone got any helpful ideas?
  • galka5galka5 Posts: 5
    After stopping on a traffic light, when light changes to green and I take my foot from the brake and put it on gas the car either shuts off or it feels like it doesn’t want to go on the first gear, no matter how hard I push the pedal. If it shuts off, it usually restarts in about 20 seconds. It happens few times a day, not all the time.
    Mechanics are unable to determine the problem. Throttle body was cleaned, Oxigen senser changed ("Service engine soon" light when on), gas filter changed.
    Can anybody help? Pleeeease.....
    Anybody do a diagnostic on the MAF sensor (Mass Air Flow) in the throttle body?

• galka5galka5 Posts: 5
    I'm not sure, but i'll ask.
    Thank you.
  • 1996 mustang gt
    The car idles great in park but will not idle in drive, it keeps stalling out. Any ideas?
  • I forgot, no check engine light on either