Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Idle or Stalling Problems - All Vehicles

1171819202123»

Comments

• srs_49srs_49 Posts: 1,394
    edited September 2012
    Is the O2 sensor a 3 wire unit, with the built-in heater? Maybe the heater circuit is open.
  • Thanks, No, it's a new replacement O2 but the original one wire type. That's why I considered changing to the heated version. Real pain to do and a lot more expensive but would probably solve if not correct the problem. Seems a vicious circle. As I understand it, among other things, excess fuel will tend to cool the exhaust and non functioning / cooler than normal O2 will cause excess fuel. Maybe someone smarter than me can explain it.
  • free1913free1913 Posts: 1
    edited May 2013
    My 2000 Cougar will shut off without warning when I stop at stop signs and stop lights, but it will crank right back up, drive smoothly, until I have to stop again. I have replaced the MAF sensor, the O2 sensors on the left side, the IAC valve and motor. The alternator was replaced in December. The battery has been checked and is fine. I've had the fuel injection cleaned and replaced the fuel filter. The vacuum hoses have been checked and there were no leaks to be found. I'm going crazy!!! What else is there to fix, to stop this stalling???By the way, the check engine light does NOT come on, so there are NO codes showing up.
  • lsonneylsonney Posts: 2
    I am having troubles with my 2007 Pontiac G5 stalling at an idle or in 1st or 2nd gear. had the fuel filter changed and still happening.
    My mechanic is a bit stumped. Car runs great for a bit then starts stalling out.
    Anyone having this problem? I need some help here.

Any technical Service Bulletins? I have owed the car for 6 months now. Pasted a very thorough inspection before buying it. Now I am having this trouble. I need some help here and fast!!
    Thanks, Lorraine.
  • lsonneylsonney Posts: 2
    I am having troubles with my 2007 Pontiac G5 stalling at an idle or in 1st or 2nd gear. had the fuel filter changed and still happening.
    My mechanic is a bit stumped. Car runs great for a bit then starts stalling out.
    Anyone having this problem? I need some help here.

Any technical Service Bulletins? I have owed the car for 6 months now. Pasted a very thorough inspection before buying it. Now I am having this trouble. I need some help here and fast!!
    Thanks, Lorraine.
  • Hey, I'm a new owner of an '89 F150. It's a four speed manual trans, 4.9L 6cyl. This is my first truck and I bought a beater in hopes of learning while I fix it up. I have minimal experience (biggest repairs have been replacing disk brakes on a previous car and replacing the EGR valve on this truck), but I want to learn more.

The truck has a bypass switch and the forward fuel tank was removed. Both of these modifications occurred before I owed it. Also, the clutch is a bit grumpy. Sometimes I'm unable to get it into first (I usually "granny start" from second), and every once in a while it doesn't want to go into reverse.

When I bought the truck, it would just choke and cut off after driving for 30 minutes or so. It would restart after cooling down. My mechanic said it was a problem with the fuel pump and replaced it, and that fixed that problem.

After that, the truck began to have trouble starting. I would flip the bypass switch and the engine would rev up, then drop RPM's quickly until choking off within a couple seconds. When I flipped the switch again, it would start up fine. It would run fine after that.

A mechanic recommended having the fuel injectors cleaned. The fixed the problem for about a week, then it started again. A friend of a friend who has a home garage suggested a vacuum leak, and we found a leak in the EGR value, which we replaced.

Replacing the EGR valve fixed the problem again, for a couple days, but it came back. Meanwhile, immediately after the EGR valve was replaced, a new problem started. Periodically while I'm driving (I haven't been able to detect any pattern), the engine will just shudder or choke a bit. It feels like it's threatening to choke, but it never actually does. Once it starts, it typically does this every couple seconds until I shift gears.

I'd really like help in diagnosing what might be causing the choking when it starts and the new shudder when driving. I realize it could be a number of things. I'd like to prioritize things which are least expensive and which would need to be done anyway for routine upkeep. Any ideas?

Thank you!
  • MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,684
    edited July 2013
    Didn't see any service bulletins per se.

This is a very generalized symptom--and "stalling" can encompass a wide variety of causes, especially without any history on the car or any trouble codes being scanned.

Here's an OVERVIEW" of stalling conditions and what might cause them.
  • 2001 Sunfire 2.2L automatic stalls when slowing down. Has a strong smell of fuel when it restarts but starts back up as soon as the key is turned. I can keep it running at stops but only if I throw it into neutral and drive it like a manual. RPM's start bouncing back and forth between 1000 and 500, then 500 and under just before it stalls. This is the first time I've had any problems with the car other than an intermittent misfire that it's had since I got it. It has 209k on it. I've read that this could be a temp sensor causing this but which one? The tranny temp sensor or the coolant temp sensor? It's been between 1 and 30 outside lately but the car only has problems when it warms up to the normal 195. Temp gauge is reading properly in dash. I gave her a tune up this spring (plugs, wires, oil air and fuel filters, coolant, etc.) and been a champ till last night. Has all original sensors. Any suggestions on which temp sensor could be causing the issue? Or could it be something more? Also, it doesn't like to get up to speed when it's cold outside. It takes a long time to shift and seems all around slow to get up to speed. Thanks for any input! I'd really like to keep her running for as long as I can, She's been good to me!!!