Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series 2006

Comments

• gerstchgerstch Member Posts: 9
    Any of you BMW followers want to give me a guess at what the price range would be for the hardtop convertible with a few options but not maxed out? ?~50K

I want to get a 4 seater hardtop in the next year or so, the only options I know of is the Eos, the volvo, the lexus and the BMW. Any other rumors of others?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    Pontiac G6 is the only other one that I know of...

The current 330i convertible has a typically equipped MSRP of right around $50K now... And, you can get up to $53K-$54K, if you go for all the toys... The 325i convertible can be had around $42K MSRP, but again, typically equipped is $45K...

But, I'm assuming that the new convertible will have the same engine choices as the new coupes... So, the two choices will be 328i/335i..

So, no absolute guess on prices, but start at least $2K higher than the numbers above.... and, don't be surprised if they are $4K-$5K higher...

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• owner6owner6 Member Posts: 89
    Shipo,
    I called the Service dept. The dealer sells and services Mercedes and BMW in the same building. The Mercedes uses Mobile-1. BMW uses BMW oil manufactured by castrol, syn 5W-30. They said the person who keyed in my service statement was in training and selected the wrong oil code for my statement. They assured me my service was done by a BMW Tech and the correct oil was used. Thanks for the feed back
    Owner6
  • div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    The dealer sells and services Mercedes and BMW in the same building. The Mercedes uses Mobile-1.

First, it's called Mobil 1.
    Second, they still should be using 0W-40 Mobil 1 in the Mercedes; none of the other Mobil 1 grades have MB approval(right, Shipo?). In any event, I bring my own 0W-40 Mobil 1 to the dealer rather than use Castrol. Like Shipo, I was not impressed by the rusty brown film that the 5W-30 BMW Synthetic deposited on the dipstick and oil filler cap of my wife's X3. Unlike Shipo, I change the oil myself halfway between the Oil Service/Inspection intervals. Old habits die hard... :P
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    "Second, they still should be using 0W-40 Mobil 1 in the Mercedes; none of the other Mobil 1 grades have MB approval(right, Shipo?)."

Correct.

"Like Shipo, I was not impressed by the rusty brown film that the 5W-30 BMW Synthetic deposited on the dipstick and oil filler cap..."

Correct. Also, the sludgy smell of the BMW/Castrol oil very much reminded me of the old parafin based Pennsylvania Grade Crude products (Quaker State, Pennzoil and Wolf's Head *among others*) of the 1970s (and beyond?).

"Unlike Shipo, I change the oil myself halfway between the Oil Service/Inspection intervals."

Well, almost. While under the "Free Maintenance" program I was inclined to change out the BMW/Castrol oil at 7,500 miles and put Mobil 1 in. Assuming I end up with a BMW that isn't "Free Maintenanced", I'm inclined to go with ~10,000 OCIs, using Mobil 1 0W-40 of course. Just to be on the safe side, I will probably have oil analysis performed from time to time just to make sure all is well with that plan.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    I use mobil-1 in my 328. I change twice a season typically, and am at 120K miles.

I am the definition of abusive driver, i redline constantly, right after i start the car, redline in neutral, drive on the highway in 3rd gear, etc.

The engine is perfect, burn not a drop, and sounds as sweet as the day i bought it.

If you're going to keep the car, do mobil 1 twice a season.

If you care about the car in general, do it in any case.

dave
    Gee, if I was to only change my oil twice per year I'd be going like 16,000 miles per change (and if I keep working where I currently am, that number would rise to over 20,000 per change next year). Probably too far for my current ride, even with Mobil-1 0W-40. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • timnytimny Member Posts: 142
    Does anyone else out there with an E90 with the Sports Package tires (front 18R235; rear 18R255) experienced either of the following?

1) Mileage changes: Swapping between winter run-flats (Dunlop 17R225) and the summer tires, I noticed a drop of at least 1.5mpg on the wider tires, after correcting for driving habits. I know the rears especially are larger, but the change in mileage (about 7.5%) seems disproportionate to me. (Perhaps it's also the "stickiness" of the tire).

2) Road stability: swapping between the winter and summer tires noted above, I notice the rear wheels sometimes kick-out, or perform in a somewhat unstable fashion on highways. I attribute this to the wider rear tires catching grooves in the well-travelled highways around the this part of NY/CT (esp. I95 and the LIE) and/or the differential between the width front and rear tires as they hit these grooves.

Again, just wondering if anyone else has a similar experience.
  • guyfguyf Member Posts: 456
    What about the outside diameter of the summer tires? Is your speedometer indicating the true speed? That's easy to check with a GPS.
  • macdadmacdad Member Posts: 75
    Any opinions.

1.Does the power difference from the 325 to the 330 make up for the difference in cost?

2. On the 330i, is there a big difference in ride with/without the sport package?

I will test drive them but maybe someone who owns either who has more miles logged will have a more informed opinion.

Thank you
  • ashok_amaraashok_amara Member Posts: 1
    I am looking the following configuration and I stay in Bay Area -
    2006 BMW 325i 4-Dr Sedan
    6-speed manual transmission
    Titanium Silver/Black Leather, Burl Walnut Wood Trim
    Premium Package (ZPP)

MSRP is 34,790
    Invoice is 32,065

What should be a good deal for this ? How much below invoice can I expect from a dealer. Would I get a better deal if I financed with the dealer ?

Thanks,
    - Ashok
  • davidd3davidd3 Member Posts: 582
    "1.Does the power difference from the 325 to the 330 make up for the difference in cost?"

Power is only part of the $6,000 cost difference. The 330 contains as standard equipment some things that are costly options on the 325: upgraded sound system, adaptive zenon headlights, etc. The 330 also comes with larger tires and brakes, chrome trim, etc. If you would be inclined to load up a 325 with options, then the price difference between the 330 and 325 becomes much smaller (maybe $2,000 to $3,000). To me, power is a considerable factor in the fun to drive equation. On paper I was inclined to get the 325 and save some money. But after test driving both the 325 and the 330, I knew I had to pop for the 330. I'm glad I did. :D
  • erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    I read it as twice a year two, but reread. He said twice a SEASON, so that would be what? roughly 8 times a year or once every month and a half...

Pretty frequent, depending on the monthly mileage.

-Paul
    Hey Paul, yeah, I noticed that as well. I simply assumed that "season" in his post really meant "year". Considering that by this time next year I'll be driving upwards of 750 miles per week (just for the commute, errands, soccer games and track meets are extra), if I change my oil twice per year I'd be putting well over 20,000 miles on the oil for each change. Of course if I change twice per season that would mean more like a new fill of Mobil 1 every 5,000 miles. Talk about going from the sublime to the ridiculous. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    The outside diameter of the summer/winters should be the same -- although the winters are mounted on 17s and the summers on 18s, the profile of the tire varies also, so the diameter should be the same.

At anyrate, it's not a speed issue that interests me: it's how the car tracks. My revised theory is that the width difference between the front (235) and rear (255) must cause the car to track differently in the grooves typically found on highways.
    See my comments earlier about the ride with the sport package: on flat roads, it's great (really great); on uneven or grooves roads, the car (in my experience) tracks in a somewhat unstable manner.

Also, the low profile tires leave the expensive rims open to more frequent pothole damange, etc.

They do look nice, though.
  • mmancini65mmancini65 Member Posts: 10
    Macdad-
    I just bought a 6 MT 325xi with premium and cold weather pkg. Cost was 35,365, about $2000 under sticker. I am unimpressed with low end power. This is my first MT, but comparing it to the 330i that I drove, the 325 does not bring the same smile to my face. Similarly equipped, however, it was hard to justify the extra $6000. Also, there's a lot of engine mods that can be done to improve the output of the 3L engine of the 325 - and I'm sure more will be on their way. Afterall, the displacement of the 2 engines is the same. First gear is pretty short in my amatuer opinion. Shifting is otherwise nice and smooth. Braking is very good. Sound system is ok, but not stellar. I would, however, highly recommend the sport seats/sport package. I made a big mistake in not getting these - honestly, I can't even remember if all the models I drove had sport seats or not. The base seats suck - no thigh support. Lateral back support decent.

I'm not unhappy with my purchase, but there are some shortcomings that you notice only once you drive a car for a month. Hope this helps.
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    The 330i has things I want on my car - power seats, xenon headlights, better stereo. Those three features bump the price of a 325i by 2500-3000k. At that point the extra 3 grand of the 330i also gets me a few more options (bigger tires, bigger brakes, more power).

Of course, unlike most I added only a few options to my car - leather, comfort access, sport package, pdc - all things that would go on my 325i. So 3k for more fun and power = easy choice.
    Yes, shipo, if you drive 50K a year, you might want to change your oil more than twice a year. Please don't sue me if your engine blows up!
    I trust that you know that we were just having a little fun with your language and not taking shots at you and your maintenance practices. ;-)

FWIW, I never thought for a minute that you were changing your oil too often or too little. Twice per year sounds just about right. :shades:

Sorry of I offended, that was not my intent.

Bset Regards,
    Shipo
  • mattress2mattress2 Member Posts: 7
    If you are thinking of the 330i with sport package, be sure to take an extended test drive over some bumpy roads. The rear 35 series runflats have a lower profile than an M-car, and can be jittery over uneven pavement, and extremely harsh over potholes, etc. Feels like a conventional tire that's been over-inflated to about 60 psi. If you are thinking of leasing, you will find that the higher residual value of the 330i offsets much of the price difference with the 325i.
    Thaks shipo. I figured you were playing and was trying to keep the ball rolling.

Sarcasm doesn't transport well via internet forum, does it?

I do like the summer/winter oil change because i have the right weight for the _season_ :)and because i have the car "in" for the tire swap in any case.
    mattress2
    Thanks for the info. I was considering sport mainly for the nicer looking rims (imo) but I am unsure about the stiff ride. Do you know if the seats are a positive upgrade over the conventional seats. I am thinking of leasing and I have run the numbers. A 36 month lease 12k miles is less expensive than a similarly equipped 325 (better residual and MF). Seems like a no brainer unless I dont like the ride or replacing tires every year. I have a 2006 525 which I love (my first BMW) and the 3 series will replace an MB E320 which I have found I dont like driving anymore.
    mmancini65
    Thanks for the reply. Some will say it is a sin but I would opt for AT. I have owned other cars with MT and although shifting is fun, overall I would prefer not to. I live in a city in Florida, very seasonal, tons of traffic half the year. I also would not modify the performance aftermarket. But if I am looking for a sportier car, it seems as though the 330 with sports package is the way to go.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,418
    If you live in Florida, you can definitely go for a Sport Package equipped car. The roads down there are GLASS SMOOTH. Over Memorial Day weekend I was riding in my friend's E46 M3 Convertible (19" wheels) and it felt just as smooth & subtle as riding in my Mom's E60 530iA. There's lots of go fast room in FL, but not too many twisty roads (at least from what I've seen in South Florida) to take full advantage of the Sports Package.

Drive a 330i with a stick before you make your decision. If you're a stick driving guy, you'll definitely appreciate it.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• mattress2mattress2 Member Posts: 7
    The sport package seats are superb (lumbar support included only with premium package), and you also get a much better steering wheel.
    nyccarguy
    I enjoy driving a stick but my 5 year old will be in it occasionally and it is easier to concentrate on her and driving without having to shift. With that age, you never know what is going to happen. We have both children (2 & 5) in our 525 AT and there have been numerous occasions where a stick would not have been a good idea.
    My sister tried the old "need an automatic" line when she was about to have a kid. So she got one. My bro-in-law opted for a manual. 3+ years in my sister steals my bro-in-law's 3 and my 3 all the time; she's adamant her next car be a manual. The kid's strapped in and not going anwyhere...at least then my sister can enjoy driving again.
  • autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992

judging by the size of the wheels, this m3 is really packing some serious punch!! I'm hoping an awd version is available.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Let's talk about iDrive stuff here: iDrive and the 3-Series.
    you will N E V E R see awd offered on an M3. You want AWD, go buy an S4.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

you will N E V E R see awd offered on an M3. You want AWD, go buy an S4.

You are spot on; the last thing the M3 needs is to dumbed down.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    And weighed down.
  • gordonwdgordonwd Member Posts: 337
    Mileage changes: Swapping between winter run-flats (Dunlop 17R225) and the summer tires, I noticed a drop of at least 1.5mpg on the wider tires, after correcting for driving habits.

I have an E46 325i and have noticed the same thing. I went from the stock 205/55-16s to 225/45-17s and immediately lost about 2mpg. Wider, stickier tires definitely have more rolling resistance, and apparently the car feels it. ;) I will reconfirm this when I switch back in the Fall, but I am sure that the mileage difference is mostly due to the tire change.
    But.. every time I put on the summer tires, I drive a heck of a lot faster... ;)

Of course the mileage penalty for more aggressive acceleration should be mitigated by the increased speed through the corners.. requiring me to accelerate less upon leaving the corner... not to mention the increased brake life.. :surprise:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    And the same was also said about bmw and use of turbochargers... The turbocharger(or should i say twin turbochargers) are on the bmw338Ci. All in all, how was the picture?
    Turbocharging is a great way to extract more power from an engine with minimal plumbing changes & weight gain (compared to the performance). There is only so big they can make the displacement (this is a BMW Sports Coupe we're talking about here, not a GM SUV). I love forced induction and am happy BMW is applying the technology to their already wonderful Inline 6 engines.

AWD is a different animal. It is completely unnecessary on a car like the next M3. The AWD system adds weight (to an already somewhat porky M car), complexity (one more thing to break down the road), slows acceleration times, will cause the car to understeer at the limit, negatively affects handling, reduces fuel economy (hey at $3.45 a gallon for super even those who have $50k+ for an M3 are a little concerned). What is the benefit of AWD? Are you really going to drive a car with less than 5" of ground clearance in anything but a dusting of snow?

The M3 is a special car. Not for everybody. I'm not saying you have to track it to appreciate it because lord knows if I could get my hands on one it wouldn't see track time. The M3 is about balance, precise handling, amazing road feel, massive brakes, a finley tuned suspension, rear wheel drive, and of course "Officer are you sure you read the radar gun correctly?" blazing speed.

Who knows, Porsche which is supposed to be the purest of SPorts Car makers sold more tipronic (slushbox) 911 C4 Cabriolets (AWD) than any other model (except the Cayenne). The C4S Cabriolet Tiptronic is by far the heaviest of all the 911s.

335i, not 338ci. The C is gone and the models are 328i and 335i - this will hold for both the coupe and sedan in 07.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    Turbocharging is a great way to extract more power from an engine with minimal plumbing changes & weight gain

This is what I’ve always thought…but the 335 comes in at 220lbs more than the 328.

I’m not sure where this weight gain has taken place (beefed up drive train?) but 3571lbs isn’t light.

Strangely enough, an A4 with the V6 (CVT – no manual unless you go Quattro) lists an identical 3571lbs.

This would make the 335 heaver than the
    IS350 (3527-auto),
    C-Class (3450),
    S60(3393),
    TL(3499),
    CTS (3507)
    G35(3472)

The “old” 330Ci weighed in at 3285 (286 lbs lighter)…or you could say the new 335 is lighter ( 45lbs) than the 330Ci Convertible.

Maybe the gobs of low-end torque will make the weight gain a non-issue off the line…but I’m not too sure about the corners.
    The weight gain probably comes from the length. The specs show the car is almost 5 inches longer than the current coupe and 3 inches longer than the current sedan.

macdad
    What about the weight gain over the 328?
    Bigger tires/wheels? Turbo-charger and associated plumbing? Bigger cooling system? Trailer to carry the extra money around in for gas? :surprise:

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Doubtlessly, some of the extra weight is the engine. The turbos weigh something, and the aluminum block weighs a bit more than the magnesium one. Some of the weight is probably standard features as well, such as sunroof, perhaps power seats, etc. The current 325i is 3285lb and the current 330 is 3417lb, and the engine weight difference there is inconsequential.

I'd bet the engine gained about 50lb. Not that big of a deal considering the 80 lb-ft or torque gained.
  • inqinq Member Posts: 10
    I seem to be in the minority but the weight gain is a big deal as is the length. IMO BMW designed the coupe as a new "4" to be more luxurious and then gave into pressure to keep the "3" tag. The result of the wavering for me is that the new 3 coupe has lost some of its beloved characteristics and makes me wish that BMW will introduce a shorter and lighter version and re-convert the new 3 coupe as a "4". As much as I appreciate the new design and the added power, I was highly disappointed by the weight & length; and wonder how heavy the new M3 will be. BTW any guesses on how heavy the 335i sedan will be? 3700 lb??
    I'm hoping the 1/2 series falls under 3200 lbs, which in today's market would make it light!

The e90/92's got a serious case of bloat (length and weight measurements keep expanding).

A 1 or 2 series with the turbo engine, so 235i would be the answer: lighter weight, smaller dimensions, same power.
    Oh, i'm not disagreeing that the car is getting porky, just saying that i don't think we can blame the turbo engine entirely.

I was amazed by how much less quick a new 255hp 330 feels than my 189hp 328i. A little quicker, yes, but not much, and it felt less agile as well. However, a lot of that might go down to the car's more insulated nature. Yes, it is a better car overall, but not enough to get me back on the payment treadmill.

Question is, what else are ya gonna do? I think the boxster drives like a dream but it can be hard to get by with a 2-seater. We could nag BMW for a 1-series.

dave
    Excessive weight gain seems to be the norm around the automotive industry. We all have to remember that even as enthusiasts with a great car company like BMW we're still a minority (BMW equals luxury to most people). Part of what made the E36 a great car was its razor sharp handling. A lot of people must have complained that it was too small. They made the E46 a little bigger, added lots more electronics, and gave it more power. The E46 was a great car even with the weight/length gain. People still said the car was too small so they made the E90 bigger and kept the wieght in check. Over time a little length and a little weight become a lot. It affects the crispness of the steering, the balance, everything.

As much as I'd like to see a low weight 2 series or even 1 series brought here, I doubt it will happen.

BTW any guesses on how heavy the 335i sedan will be? 3700 lb??

I think the “old” coupe and sedan were identical in weight 3275lbs so maybe the new sedan will be the same.

My main concern is that it is heavier than everything else (equal to A4)…although my previous post I compared it to the G35 sedan not coupe (G35 coupe is heavier but still slightly under the new 3 coupe).
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    "Question is, what else are ya gonna do?"

The Mazda RX-8, Mitsubishi Evo, and Subaru WRX STi are pretty much all there is in 3000 lb sports cars with a back seat.

If you truly want to enjoy driving again, I say abandon modern amenities and get an E30 or early 70's Alfa GTV.
    If you truly want to enjoy driving again, I say abandon modern amenities and get an E30 or early 70's Alfa GTV.

You nailed it. That's one of the reasons I love my Club Sport. Yes, it could use a bit more power, but the overall package provides driving pleasure that a heavier sled just can't match. Best of all, it's just you and the car, responding to your inputs alone-with no silicon nannies waiting in the wings to save your bacon.
This discussion has been closed.