Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 3-Series 2006

Comments

• aphallaphall Posts: 21
    Don't let price be an object in replacing run-flat

Chicago Tribune, Published August 28, 2005

Q. My 2006 BMW 325i sedan came with 205/55-R16 all-season Bridgestone Turanza EL 42 RFT run-flat tires. Due to a low tire-pressure warning, I drove carefully at 45 m.p.h. a distance of 10 miles to the dealer to have it repaired. The dealer told me once the tire has been driven in a low-pressure condition, it cannot be repaired and must be replaced at a cost of $229.

What good are these run-flat tires if they cannot be repaired? Is there any alternative to this, other than replacing all four with quality standard tires and carrying a 12-volt powered tire inflator pump and a container of tire sealant? Would standard tires of the correct size work on my wheels?

R.K., Chicago

A. Sure, you could replace the run-flats with conventional tires, but they would cost nearly the same. Also consider that you lose the advantage of being able to drive the car to a safe place should the tire go flat in the middle of nowhere or that you can get home from dinner at Morton's without getting dirty. When a conventional tire goes flat, you will ruin your expensive alloy wheel in less than a mile if you ride on it.

As for repairing your current tire, we turned to Bill VanderWater, consumer products manager of sales engineering for Bridgestone/Firestone North America. First, he told us that BMW's position on all damaged tires is replacement, not repair. He also reminded us that there is no room in your BMW for a spare or a jack should you go with conventional tires.

Finally, he said there are special techniques (and training) required to safely repair a run-flat, and it is contingent on the damage being in a repairable place on the tire.

Our suggestion? Bite the bullet and buy a tire.
  • davidd3davidd3 Posts: 582
    "Is there any truth to the rumour that once a RFT gets a flat, it needs to be replaced? As opposed to the GFT that simply gets a patch 70% or so of the time?"

My understanding is that once you drive on a "flat" RFT, you have to replace it. Some people in this forum have reported repairing RFTs, but I think you have to catch it right away and not drive on it. BMW recommends replacement every time (whether or not you drive on it), but speculation is that they do so for liability concerns and not because RFTs are incapable of being repaired.

RFTs will safely get you to the nearest BMW dealer or tire place, and then empty your wallet when you get there. :mad:
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,246
    With a sport package I'll get staggered RFTs, sized so as to be somewhat delicate in terms of road hazard damage. . .and I'm not all that enamored of the wheel choice.

Perhaps I should buy a set of four tires & wheels from Tirerack to use for everyday commuting. On my (sadly) infrequent, but very enjoyable, 3-5K mile solo driving vacations around the West, I could put the OEM wheels back on for max performance & pleasure, and throw one of the commuter sets in the car for a spare. Even run-flats may find their limits on some of the roads I drive in Nevada and Eastern Oregon, where it can be 120 miles between places with open gas stations, even in the daytime.

The commuter tires (I like Kumhos also & run them on my present car, after a set of Michelin Pilot AS) could be chosen for wear & the wheels for appearance that pleases me.
  • corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 4,096
    throw one of the commuter sets in the car for a spare.

I just had my winter wheels and tires put on, and carrying a spare around in the trunk would eat up almost half the available space. I fit two wheels and tires in the trunk and two in the back seat. I carry a can of Fix-a-Flat and a 12v inflator so that if I get a low-pressure warning, I have a fighting chance of getting pressure back into the RFT so that it can be repaired...
  • The number is 1-800-831-1117; say “Vehicle Production Status” and then read out your production number.
  • I was really hung up on the RFT issue when I was first considering the E90. I was concerned that I would get a flat a long way from the nearest BMW dealer, and even from a competent non-dealer, and be unable to get my hands on a new RFT. I mean, a lot of gas stations on deserted highways in remote areas of the west probably don't have $250 fancy tires for fine German sedans. (I can hear it now: "We have tires for both kinds: Ford and Chevy."

But then I came to realize that it is an extremely rare occurrence to get a flat -- maybe once every 3-5 years. And, to be a big problem at all, it would have to happen on one of those rare occasions when I happened to be in the middle of nowhere -- maybe 2-3 times a year. I finally realized that it's just not worth worrying about. I mean, I would rather have GFT's and a spare, but it's not that big a deal.

As several people have said, you can carry that Fix-A-Flat in a can if you're really worried. But one thing I don't get is why you need the 12volt inflator. Doesn't the can of Fix a Flat have enough compressed air to reinflate the tire?

Jim
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,665
    But then I came to realize that it is an extremely rare occurrence to get a flat -- maybe once every 3-5 years.

That may be true…but I’ve had 5 flats in the past 5 years…normal roads, not driving through a construction site or anything.

We’ll see what 06 has in store.
    Doesn't the can of Fix a Flat have enough compressed air to reinflate the tire?

Maybe. If I can tell it's a slow leak, I'd rather not use the Fix-a-Flat, and just inflate the tire with the compressor. And if the Fix-a-Flat works to seal the tire, it may still have very low pressure. It's just another tool to have at my disposal.
  • speaking of rtf tires.I find them to be noisy on the slightest coars blacktop road.The regular Turanza L42 E
    has very bad reviews on the Tirerack Board.
    They list the rtf tire for 165.00 $.Sofar there are very few choises in these tires if you can even find them.
    Any one out there find them also noisy ??????
  • gordonwdgordonwd Posts: 337
    >Any one out there find them also noisy ??????

I've heard this in several places on these boards, but I'm not sure how much of this is due to the run-flat construction vs. the things that can make any particular tire noisy. Even with non-RFTs, there's a wide variance in noise from one brand/model to another, mostly having to do with tread pattern.

For what it's worth, though, I would guess that, all other factors being equal, RFTs would tend to transmit more road vibration -- noise -- to the car due to the necessary stiffness of their sidewalls. Only a guess, but this might be why many people notice the difference.
  • handelhandel Posts: 17
    Here in Syracuse, New York, where snowfall averages over 100 inches a year, we take our snow seriously. Before taking delivery of my new 330xi in October, I drove an A4 Quattro for six years with Goodyears then Michelin all-seasons; never with snow tires. The car was a great snow car, it's AWD system far superior to the Jeep Cherokee 4WD I had before. I never needed snow tires with the A4 and never got stuck.

Schools were closed today because of a serious winter storm, the first real snow storm and my 330xi was ready to go. Observations: Fine tracking on the Hill from Hell near my house, which had been plowed, but had an inch or two of slush. Fine traveling on plowed but snow-covered roads. No lateral movement. Good recovery when I deliberately made a sharp turn, and the car hinted at a small skid.

I found the xi excellent on rainy roads, and expect the experience in snow will prove to be as positive as that of my A4. All without snow tires. Maybe there must have been some magic in the RF's.
  • davidd3davidd3 Posts: 582
    "Here in Syracuse, New York,"

GO ORANGE!!!!!! :)
  • dl7265dl7265 Posts: 1,381
    7 months/8K miles and I see no ride deterioration. Honestly other an buying a lexus I dont see how to get a quieter ride. But thats not what the BMW experience is all about. On grooved pavement any tire is going to be loud.

My 2C

DL
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,468
    the '06 3 series. I love the 330i w/ SP in Electric Red they show in AUTOMOBILE.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    For those contemplating NAV...if you can hold out for a little while...

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1897253,00.asp

/ot off
  • i dont know if u guys remember the story about me getting a flat and had to drive on it for 3 hrs to get home. I noticed that when i turn right, the car is VERY solid (it hugs the curves like crazy) but when i turn left, it doesnt feel as solid. I dont know if this makes sense: the car grips to the road very well on right turns but seems to slip/not grip as well on left turns. I was wondering if this is because of the rim where the flat was. I took it back to the dealer and they balanced it and it seemed a lil better. Now it's happening again...any comment?? thanks
    Pretty cool. The technology has been in the phones for a while (E911 GPS capability), it's nice to see it getting an additional use.
  • dl7265dl7265 Posts: 1,381
    Thanks, I don't need NAV I got a map. But the Flat screen article was very interesting.

DL
  • I was wondering if any of you have heard of any end of model year lease rate reductions for the 3 SERIES? My current 330i lease is about to expire and I'm never adverse to saving money. I leased my last BMW on December 31 (best day of the year to buy or lease a car) and got a substantial lease discount....36 mos no money down..loaded..12k miles per year....$450/month yes a 330i!!. I live in the NY metro area and would very much like help in this matter. Today's NY Times had really nothing special in it in the auto section. Thanks.....
  • 1. What is tire fee?

2. How much is the tire insurance? What does it cover?

3. If I want 325i without SP but with 17" tires, how much will I have to pay?

Thanks
    Go Trojan!
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,246
    the Timex thing. Functionality isn't really the issue -- the Timex tells time just as well as the Rolex, and it lights up at night.

Now that some of the automobile functions (or at least the ability to customize them) are being bundled with the GPS, it's getting muddier yet. I didn't even know it was possible to spend $2700 on a Garmin, but then again, I don't own a Rolex either (Seiko, FWIW).

For straight function, the Garmin V does everything I want or need & costs between $250 - 350. Yes, it's monochrome & the screen is small (but still significantly larger than any cell phone).

Since I've never used a dedicated automotive GPS, perhaps those of you who have can tell me how they compare to the following:

Before I go on a business trip, particularly if I haven't been to some of the destinations before (supplier, hotel, whatever), I can set up all my routing, on my PC or laptop (4 - 6 times larger screen than any car-specific GPS I've seen). I can look at the routing & modify it if I don't like what it thinks is appropriate, even if it's a 900-mile journey. Once I'm satisfied, I download a day's worth of travel into the box & I'm off. The actual navigation part is probably near-identical to the dedicated systems, except my little box beeps at me when something's going to happen. It doesn't talk, and while the minor distraction of glancing at the screen to verify the next action is a factor, it's much less so than trying to read a map or a printed list of turns & distances.

Now, here's the part I really like. At the end of the day, I upload my track file to the PC and can, in the future, look at exactly how long it took me to go between any points on the trip, or for that matter, exactly where I ended up going if I needed to vary from the planned route for any reason. Don't need to write anything down -- it's just there. Then I save the file, with all the relevant waypoints for that particular series of destinations, and it's ready for me to use again next time I go. No more data entry or remembering which features of the automatically-selected route I didn't like & had to modify. It's all there ready to use again.

Within a few days last summer I was able to navigate/document a drive from Montreal to Vineyard Haven, a 25-mile bike ride on a borrowed bicycle & a 9-mile ride on an off-road Segway.

It works for me. YMMV.
  • I have a 2006 330i, without Nav. I just got a bluetooth phone (Motorola Razr 3Vc) and synched it with the radio in the car. The radio displays the phonebook that the car imported via bluetooth, and I can dial a phonebook number using the radio controls. But when I try to do a voice command dial ("Call Name"), the voice command voice says "Phonebook empty". The voice commands seem to be functioning otherwise.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions?
  • I have used the Magellan portable 700 series for 2 years.It is about
    95% accurate.They have a new unit 760 serie that retailes for 1000.-$. It is more advanced. The 700 unit has periodic
    updates.They tell me the new update should make the unit more accurate.It is worth looking into.It is also cheaper.
    2 years ago I paid 1299.00 plus Tax.
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    The bluetooth may not be recognizing the voice tags on your razr's entries. Try creating an entry in your BMW's setup with the same name and number and give IT a voice tag. IE store it in the car, not the phone itself.

-Paul
  • "You cannot use voice commands to select numbers stored in the cellphone..." (pg. 17 in Telephone manual). However, you can use voice commands to store names and numbers within the Voice Phone Book of the car, then dial those numbers using voice commands. Storing entries is tricky though. The instructions in the manual say that you must say, "Store name, " but that didn't work in my car. I had to say "Enter name." In addition, I had to say, "Enter name," again to actually store the entry (instead of "store number," as in the manual).

I have not been able to enter pauses, however, within stored numbers. So, accessing my voice mail, completely hands free, is not yet possible.

The worst part is that while I can hear my callers just fine, they all tell me that I sound like I am on a cheap speaker phone.
  • SylviaSylvia Posts: 1,636
    Our Editor-in-Chief, Karl Brauer has a few comments on this as well 2006 BMW 3 Series Run-Flat Tires leaving Owner's Flat?

Be sure and tell him (on the above link) your opinion and concerns.
  • The owner's manual for the 330i states "up to 1,250 miles attempt to vary both engine and vehicle speeds, but refrain from exceeding an engine speed of 4,500 rpm or a driving speed of 100 mph." I've been driving around town in the middle of the night just to get up to 1,250 miles. Admittedly, I've succumbed to temptation on a few occasions and red lined the first few gears and crossed well over 100, oh so much fun. And the sales rep tells me BMW's don't have a break in period, drive however you want. I'm inclined to believe the owner's manual over the sales guy. What damage can you do not following the break-in period guidelines, only long-term? I'm only in a 3 year lease, but of course as a courteous BMW driver don't want to screw the next guy that ends up with this ride.
  • amiramir Posts: 93
    i like the bluetooth system in the 06 330i and pretty much know all the features of it but still dont know how to make a 3 way calling. or accept an incoming call while already on the other line and how to put the 1st call on hold.
  • div2div2 Posts: 2,580
    I doubt that you've hurt anything, but I would try to follow the manual's advice.
  • Has any of you new BMW 3 series 2006 owners ever had a car parked by a car jockey in a garage, and found that your car have been played with. (i.e. the settings have changed.) How do you guys deal with this problem? Thanks, Manny