Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 3-Series 2006

Comments

• dl7265dl7265 Posts: 1,381
    "for once it was nice to see the cops couldn't catch the bimmer"

Thats a real responsible statement ...

DL
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,669
    I thought it was just light hearted…hence the smiley.

Don’t let em take ya alive boys!!
  • Never owned a BMW.
    Friend has the 2005 325. Deep discount last April.

Test drove the 2006 BMW 325. Wow, it is fun to drive. I felt like I was playing a car racing video game. The tires felt like they were part of the road. I do like the I-drive. From the driver's view, it feels roomier than the 2005. Very nice car.

No spare tire concerns me. Even that Houston police chase run on flat thingy isn't comforting.

However, once you get to back seat, the legroom in particular was too tight for me. (Got in-laws bumming rides from us all the time)

I then test drove the 525. Plenty of room. Feels even more luxurious. Not as tight handling (perhaps the size). 215 hp was plenty in my opinion. I can't imagine the 545 or 550.

Bottom line? 325 is a beautiful car.

I went home empty handed though. I wish I could get the 5 series for the price of the 3 series.
    If I live in a trailer home and eat just hamburgers and hot dogs everyday . . or betted big $$ on North Dakota State last Saturday . . .:P
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,281
    Thanks for the report.

I've never driven a BMW before, let alone owned one, but have the 325 at the top of my list of potential next cars: RWD, manual transmission, excellent handling, straight six (loved my 240Z) & decent fuel mileage.

Oh, and they offer a real color (as opposed to three silvers, black, two grays & four gold variants, which seems to be all that everyone else offers) -- Electric Red.
    OR you could do ED and get a 5er for about the price of a 330i.

DL
  • dfosherdfosher Posts: 26
    When the temperature falls below 20 degrees, my rear window makes a squeaking sound. It goes away once the inside of the car is warmed up. Anyone else notice this problem?
  • Hi you all,

Does anyone have the BMW service code number for the bluetooth software update? I have a date to bring the car in next Thursday and it would be nice to tell them. When I contact my sales guy he acts like it is a problem with my car only and refuses to acknowledge that it is problem with other 325 owners.

Thanks!
  • no_exitno_exit Posts: 15
    It is CIP 20
  • Any news out there on styling changes for the '07 sedans? I note the grill work on the upcoming coupe is different than the '06 sedans. Wonder whether this change will migrate to the sedan.
  • pearlpearl Posts: 336
    I doubt that there will be any serious styling changes this quickly; however, one change I truly hope occurs is the addition of a DIPSTICK on the 3L engine. Maybe I am too traditionalist; however, NOT being able to LOOK at my oil bothers me tremendously. Has anyone thought about the possibility of taking your 3 series in for an oil change, they claim they did it, but all you have to go on is a computer readout saying you have a "full oil level". BS. SHOW ME THE OIL! I want to be able to see it and touch it. I wonder how many people will be "taken" for $100 oil changes that never happened and you have no simple way to find out?
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    The other issue with the dipstick (or lack thereof) is that some of us do our own work. In my case, because I question the quality of the Castrol oil that BMW uses, I'm inclined to do a 7,500 mile change and use Mobil 1 0W-40. The problem here is that I use an oil extractor that sucks the oil up through the dipstick tube. By eliminating the tube, BMW has all but forced me to crawl under the car to pop the plug. Grrrr. :mad:

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 4,140
    If you've run the oil 5/10/15,000 miles, I think you can see enough residue under the filler cap to determine whether the oil is fresh or not. Not as precise as looking at a dipstick, as the filler cap may be prone to collecting residue because it's not part of the area where the oil flows.
    I think it was Roundel that recently had an article regarding the use of a oil extractor. As I recall they recommended against it as the oil that is left behind (sediment) in the bottom is the worst. The recommended getting on your creeper....

Perhaps its a tactic to promote more oil service sell's , but does kind of make sense.

DL
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    I have done this on my 325xi both with and without the extractor. After draining with the extractor, I opened the drain hole on the bottom. Nothing came out.

No worries after that. I use Mobil 1 oil and OEM filter from BMW parts.

-Paul
    They recommended against the oil extractor??? "Hogwash" I say. The first time I used the oil extractor on my 530i and again on one of our Grand Caravans, I crawled underneath and pulled the plug. Guess what? I got about one drip from each (probably from the drain plug itself). In my experience, the oil extractor not only gets more oil from the bottom of the pan than the drain plug, but it also gets more of the junk that collects down there. And why do I say that? Consider the following:

Prior to using the oil extractor on our oldest car, the 1998 Grand Caravan 3.8, I had used the same old yellow plastic drain pan for 65,000 or so miles worth of oil changes. Each time I drained the oil, I wiped said drain pan clean with a paper shop towel, looking for metal fragments and such, very little was found. The first time I used the extractor, I dumped the contents of the extractor into that same yellow drain pan, and I couldn't believe the HUGE amount of metal filings that showed up. I didn't even need to wipe it out to see them, I simply drained off the old oil and there they were! The second and third time I used the extractor I got lesser and lesser amounts of metal, and now I'm getting about the same amount as I got before the extractor was used (hardly any).

With all of that in mind, I'd be hard pressed to understand how/why simply pulling the drain plug is a superior method of extracting the old oil from an engine.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 29,179
    If you extract all of the liquid, but there are solids still in the drain pan, then "pulling the plug" and having no oil drip out doesn't really prove anything.. The solids have no liquid left to use gravity to flush them out..

I'm not saying they are right... just that the "experiment" with the drain plug doesn't mean they are wrong...

regards,
    kyfdx

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

Ahhh, but then there was the 7,500 mile oil change on the new 530i and the 7,500 mile oil change on the new 2003 Grand Caravan that didn't get but a drip and showed very little metal as well. What I was trying to illustrate with the 1998 Grand Caravan was that not only will the extractor get all of the oil, it will also get the other stuff as well. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • I'm about to order my e90 and much to my chagrin BMW only offers aluminum/titanium trim or some god-awful wood trims. I'm set on gray leather as my e46 has it but my e46 has black cube aluminum trim and a black headliner, thus the car is a nice two-tone.

The e90 appears to have a weird whitish/cream headliner and there's no black trim option.

Do any of you guys know if BMW's individual program will allow someone to order an e90 (european delivery) with a black headliner and black trim (black of any kind as long as it doesn't involve wood)?
  • corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 4,140
    You could always compromise and pull the plug (or have someone else do it) every X number of changes. But, Mercedes factory protocol used to involve using an extractor instead of the drain plug. I guess that's changed since some of them also have no dipstick.

My dad had one of the drill-powered extractors that was designed for outboard motors, and it quit working after about 15 oil changes.
    "You could always compromise and pull the plug (or have someone else do it) every X number of changes."

I'm not sure that I see any benefit. For my part, I'd be more than happy to pull the plug if I thought it would do any good. That having been said, if I decide to get a new E90, I guess I'll have no choice. :cry:

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • ahightowerahightower TXPosts: 479
    Someone tell me why people call them beemers (rhymes with steamers) while some journalits write "bimmer". Is that just the way it is spelled?

I seem to remember reading somewhere that a Beemer is a BMW motorcylce and a Bimmer is a BMW car. Or vice versa. Can someone please settle this once and for all?
  • bdkinnhbdkinnh Posts: 292
    >"I use an oil extractor"

What model/brand do you use?
    You've got it...

Beemer = motorcycle

Bimmer = automobile

• ...It was hard not to laugh. I felt like saying, though I didn't, "You spent 50-55k on your car and you'll calling it by the wrong name."
    I'd say 99% of the population doesn't know... or care... and that includes BMW owners...

Hey there bdkinnh, this is dhsinnh calling. ;-)

I use the "Pela 650", which can be seen at http://www.pelaproducts.com/

When used on a BMW it is just barely adequate (but adequate none-the-less) as the typical BMW oil sump hold a considerable amount of oil.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • bdkinnhbdkinnh Posts: 292
    Cool - thanks for the link.

Lovely weather we're having today in sunny NH, eh? I think I'd prefer snow. ;)
    No problem, glad to help.

I moved my family up here for that very reason. "Bring on da snow!" That's what the kids and I say, Mrs. Shipo isn't quite so keen on all of the white stuff (she is a California native afterall), but she really thinks it's "Pretty". ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Don't shoot the messenger :P . I'll have to find what issue the artice was in for ya. I wouldn't mind using that extractor on the old Troy Built that refuses to die though ...

DL
    Personally I am no fan of this 1980's silver plastic crap that BMW, Sony, lexus or whoever is using these days . Reminds me of the old Techniques stereo I used to own..YUK.

Anyways, I don't belive that even on a American ED purchase at this point you can Choose Individual programs. What you might could do is purchase the said trims on the trip and ship or bring them home with you. As for the head liner I noticed on my Black interior it is grey. Which is ok with me, making the interior a little lighter. Like you the Grey is actually my favorite interior sans the light grey carpets. I wish you could order a darker grey or black carpets, kind of like the current IS set up.

Good Luck,
    DL
This discussion has been closed.