Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

BMW 3-Series 2006

Comments

• Options
    shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Hmmm, can't say that I've ever heard that one. I've had eleven cars over the years with metallic paint, one of them for almost fifteen years, and I've never seen any evidence that the clear coat breaks down. The fact is that when I park my 2002 Sapphire Black 530i next to a similar vintage BMW donning Jet Black paint, my paint usually looks significantly smoother and brighter (more shine?) in direct sunlight. So, what is the real truth of the matter? I have no idea. For my part, I'm sold on the extra value of metallic black paints vs. non-metallic black paints.

Best Regards,

Shipo
  • Options
    webby1webby1 Member Posts: 209
    From Today's Toront Star...

"But in North America, the car badged as a 325i will use the same engine as the 330i — a new 3.0-litre 24-valve twin-cam inline six, with throttle-less Valvtronic engine speed control, and Double VANOS (variable valve timing on both cams), but in a lower state of tune.

In the 325i, it produces 215 horsepower at 6,250 r.p.m., and 185 lb.-ft. of torque (a surprisingly low value for an engine of this displacement) at 2,750 r.p.m. (at least it comes in early).

In the 330i, it'll make 255 SAE-spec (258 by the German DIN standard) horsepower at 6,600 r.p.m. and 220 lb.-ft. of torque at 2,750 r.p.m.

These numbers represent of increases of 31 and 30 horsepower, and more modest raises of 10 and 6 lb.-ft. of torque, compared to the existing 325i and 330i."

Here is the link to the rest of the article...

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/L- ayout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1106866212947&call_- pageid=970599119419
  • Options
    deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    You beat me to it! I was going to post the same TorStar article!

I am surprised the the 325 will have a 3.0l engine. I believe the next engine upgrade will involve the 330 with a 3.5l engine. And sooner or later the 325 will be called a 330 and the 3.5l will be called a 335.
  • Options
    ivan_99ivan_99 Member Posts: 1,681
    Toronto Star is wrong.

325 is still the 2.5L

330 is still the 3.0L
  • Options
    dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    i think that those early silver GM cars that peeled gave metallic paint and silver a bad rap.Most of those were repainted on GM dime.Im not aware of modern paints having problems like that.

I don't get how a 325 is a 2.5 in Europe and a 3.0 in North America,we never get the good stuff, and then theirs two 3.0 engines now although tuned different, im wondering how the price points will change between the models?

The E90 will be interesting if nothing else..

DL
  • Options
    I believe the press release mentioned 2.5l for the 325. But did that not refer to the European 325 not the N. American 325?

There appears to be confusion?
  • Options
    Sorry Dewey !!!...........Also, the 320i has the 2.2 L engine so it could be called 322i ?

Regards,

Webby
  • Options
    Why do you think the Toronto Star is wrong....Star is talking 325I in North America only.

Regards,

Webby
  • Options
    wstevecwstevec Member Posts: 126
    It almost seems that the Toronto Star was writing about the 2005 3 Series rather than the 2006. By the way the 2006 325 will have the 3.0L engine that will produce 215hp. That's what the salesman told me last week when I put my deposit down on the 2006 325xi.
  • Options
    "It almost seems that the Toronto Star was writing about the 2005 3 Series rather than the 2006."

Sorry but I do not see where do you see the 2005 ?

Unless you are looking at the earlier links (2) I posted from National Post which had write ups on the 2005 and 2006 ?

"That's what the salesman told me last week when I put my deposit down on the 2006 325xi."

That confirms the Star info.

Regards,

Webby
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,185
    The only thing that gives me pause..

What are the chances that a de-tuned 3.0 litre engine is going to have the same exact horsepower/torque numbers as the new 2.5 litre engine that they have been talking about for months?

And, what would be the point for North America? Most people only look at the performance numbers.. they could really care less about the size... and if they did, wouldn't it tick them off, if it still said 325 on the back?

Obviously, I don't have any more info than anyone else... just doesn't make sense to me..

regards,

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    paulepaule Member Posts: 382
    Some of the other German car websites also state that the 325 will have a 2.5L engine.

I'm more likely to believe them than a newspaper reporter. In regards to the BMW salesman, it wouldn't be the first time a salesman didn't know what they were talking about.

Come to think of it, I have yet to go into a car dealership where the salesman knew as much as I did about the car I was looking at.

I guess we'll just wait and see.........
  • Options
    In the salesman's defense... BMW NA has put out some preliminary data... that shows the 325i and the 330i both having the 3.0 litre engine.. But, I still think its a typo..

Wait and see... interesting concept.. lol

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    giovanni1giovanni1 Member Posts: 106
    I don't know about the engines but my dealer gave me the following not sure if this is old news or not but figured I'd share.

3 series will have the same active steering as the five.

SMG will be offered.

Navigation with improved i-Drive and voice recognition for Nav, Stero and other functions. Mp3 capabilities with Aux input.

Keyless access.

Bluetooth with BMW assist standard on 330i.

Harman Kardon Logic 7 Virtual Surround Sound System.

Sport package for 330i is slated for September production.
  • Options
    BMW UK has all the 06 stats. It just seems unlikely to me that theres a 2.5 and a detuned 3.0 with identical HP.From a production stand point it does not make sense,but stranger things have happened i guess.I guess in April we should find out for sure.

DL
  • Options
    "But in North America, the car badged as a 325i will use the same engine as the 330i — a new 3.0-litre 24-valve twin-cam inline six, with throttle-less Valvtronic engine speed control, and Double VANOS (variable valve timing on both cams), but in a lower state of tune.

In the 325i, it produces 215 horsepower at 6,250 r.p.m., and 185 lb.-ft. of torque (a surprisingly low value for an engine of this displacement) at 2,750 r.p.m. (at least it comes in early)."

I agree that it does not make sense....however it appears very clear that this info is specific and more than just a typo !?

Regards,

Webby
  • Options
    dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    Must be miscommunication.

I could even believe the same HP figures, but the exact same torque? No way.

And they wouldn't need to put valvetronic on to get those HP figures.

dave
  • Options
    More useless speculation on my part...but here goes...

Another person with connections to BMWNA has posted on another forum.. In my experience, he is very reliable..

He says that indeed, NA is getting a de-tuned 3.0 litre for the 325i.. The reason given: BMW unable to meet the stringent CARB emission requirements and get the same horsepower/torque numbers with the 2.5 litre engine..

So, there you have it.. The identical numbers really bug me... but, no one asked my permission, so there.. I'm starting to feel bi-polar..

regards,

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    designmandesignman Member Posts: 2,129
    "The identical numbers really bug me..."

Easy now... easy. You don't want to be thought of as being querulous. Nobody around here fits this description.

;-)
  • Options
    IF it has valvetronic too, i can see outfits such as dinan really attacking the 325i.
  • Options
    Well.. this was brought up in the thread also.. The main problem is the manual transmission is the same as in the 2.5 litre European model, and supposedly wouldn't be up to the increased torque of the 330 motor.. So, any improvements that way, would involve a new transmission..

And a couple of other things that escape me at this time..

It does seem that it would be easier to get extra power out of it, than the 2.5.. but, usually Dinan concentrates on the top of the line model.. It is kind of pricy to do Dinan (or similar) work on the smaller engines, when for $4K, you can just buy the bigger engine model..

regards,

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    The 3.0l 325 vs a 3.0l 330?

Interesting to see what the price differential will be! Does this make the 325 a greater bargain or is it a setback since a 3.0l producing 215hp at unimpressive torque levels is quite unimpressive?

I am hoping there will be a 330x Touring. I am not too keen about the 325xi touring x drivewhen I can get an Audi A4 Avant quattro 3.2 255hp at not such a significant price premium(my price negotiating skills have more leverage at Audi than at BMW)
  • Options
    I doubt BMWNA will play up the engine size in marketing.. I do think they see value in the "325i" moniker.. Over the last 20 years, the most popular BMW model has had that on the trunklid for about 16 of them...

I think current 325i owners will just be happy to have the 30 extra horses, no matter what the engine size..

It won't be the first time that BMW has failed to make sense with their nomenclature..

regards,

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Those making deposits, are your Dealers holding on to them as good faith? or making interest for aprox 6 months ?

The CARB requirements are the best excuse i can see for the 2 engines,But.. o nevermind i don't want to be on lithium also... :)

DL
  • Options
    wstevecwstevec Member Posts: 126
    Most likely mine is making interest on my deposit, but its only $500 so if they make a killing, so be it. The only reason I made a deposit is that I need to have a new car by the end of the summer and I wanted to car built to my specifications, not loaded. I am sure that those of you who can wait, will be able to get a better deal.
  • Options
    planomlplanoml Member Posts: 244
    No, it wasn't Classic.
  • Options
    I'm having a hard time, figuring out just how dark a blue, the Monaco blue is. If it's close to the Orient blue-my deal is closed. Anything else, I will go with the SG.
  • Options
    I guess BMW's claim that the new engines will be 13 percent more fuel efficient is not applicable to the 325. It would be quite a task to have a 3.0l replace a 2.5l engine and be 13 percent more fuel efficient.

Then again who buys a BMW for fuel efficiency?
  • Options
    It's not the only reason, of course, but i care very much about fuel economy. In fact, i won't get a car with worse fuel economy than my old one.

I'm not sure what you are saying about MPG though. The 330 is more fuel efficient than the 325 already. The new 3.0L will be even more efficient. The detuning will probably help even more ( probably will never run super-rich ).

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymake/BMW2005.shtml
  • Options
    I just wondered,I did not realize that Classic was building a new facility on a 23 acre site in Plano. Are you still planning on ED? Looking at the BMWUK site where you can build colors and wheels, the Monaco looks a little lighter than Orient Blue to me.I think it looks good on the E90.

DL
  • Options
    I did not know the 3.0l is more fuel efficient than the 2.5l? More power--less fuel consumption---this is opposite what I had expected!
  • Options
    Yeah--it's certianly counter-intiuive and one of the rare instances where the displacement tax is counter-productive.

I wish they'd send the 330d here though. 275hp and 40mpg.

dave
  • Options
    It's about time the far North Dallas area got a BMW dealer. ED is on, just need to find a car. Thanks for the UK site info. It's great, but still hard to tell the real color difference. You are probably right in that the MB is lighter than the OB-which is disapointing. Oh well, sparkling graphite it is then. The dealer should have some color samples (painted metal)in before I place my final order.
  • Options
    yeah, I was about ready to put one in.... unfortunatly my area up here does not have DSL yet,soo its took forever to load a few colors up...

DL
  • Options
    psyran1psyran1 Member Posts: 27
    If you go to the BMWUSA website you will find that the "build your three series" is up and operable for the e90. (Small icon on bottom left of "Explore the new three" page. Able to see choice of wheels, colors, interior, exterior options. Interesting, did not have a premium package option, only Sports Package.
  • Options
    I could not find it, the bottom of the page said something about grandturismo video game?...The section that said "Feb" is not working yet.

DL
  • Options
    shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Hmmm, I got it no problem. It's a little thin on substance but cool none-the-less. ;-)

Start at http://www.bmwtransact.com/microsite/new3/maincontent.html, and then choose the fourth link from the bottom on the left margin.

I'd like a Black Sapphire Metallic 330i Sedan, with the style 162 Ellipsoid Wheels, Black Leather Interior with Burl Walnut Wood Trim, a 6-Speed Manual and the Sport Package. Assuming that they are eventually offered, I'd also like an upgraded audio system, Xenon lights and the Premium Package.

Best Regards,

Shipo
  • Options
    Ok, seems my dial up service was hanging me up..arg..

Love those style 161 wheels!And the wood choices are sort of Audi isk..Im wondering why Sport is under interior instead of exterior ? perhaps the wheels and seat packages are separate ? Then again its very preliminary.

DL
  • Options
    I'd guess they will still have sport and premium packages.. And xenons for sure...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    psyran1psyran1 Member Posts: 27
    Xenons will be an option only on 325. Probable standard moonroof on both with no Premium pack (my guess) and make leather a stand alone option.
  • Options
    beemdoubleubeemdoubleu Member Posts: 7
    Ordered it in mid January. Got the sports package, xenon lights, black leather, sapphire black exterior, and burl wood trim.

Just found out that the car won't have the ID sensor...those start in the Sept production :( But will have the start/stop button.

Tried to get bigger wheels in the order (sports package comes with 17" wheels), wanted 18s or 19s, but have to buy them from the parts dept, so probably won't get them.

Wondering if I should wait for the Sept production.
  • Options
    beemdoubleubeemdoubleu Member Posts: 7
    The 2006 3-series body looks better to me simply because it is NEW. The predecessors could easily be mistaken for a Honda if not for the emblem. At least for the time being, the 2006 3-series has a look all its own in my opinion. Won't be long before Honda copies it.

The interior looks a little boring, no exaggerated driver-centric cockpit :( only a 4 degree bend. But the interior space has increased which is a plus.
  • Options
    Well.. I'm not sure what the ID sensor is.. Some kind of keyless ignition? Not worth waiting for, IMO..

Don't know where you live (for some reason, I'm guessing SoCal), but if you have snow in the winter, you'll need an extra set of wheels anyway... You can use the 17" wheels for snow tires, and buy new 18" or 19" for the other three seasons..

So far.. except for the M3, I don't think any 3-series have come with 19" wheels available from the factory...

However, if you cancel now, and wait till fall, I'm betting you can strike a better deal..

regards,

kyfdx

nice handle, BTW

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    dlw314dlw314 Member Posts: 7
    My 2002 330i has Myrtle Wood trim. The 2006 3-series offers Popular Natural Wood and Burl Walnut Wood trims. Which one of these trims is closer to the Myrtle Wood trim in color? The popular wood seems to be lighter then my myrtle wood, but I really can't tell from looking at the pics.

DLW
  • Options
    But, the burl walnut will be closer to the myrtle...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Id say the burl is same as yours, just looking at the photos, it is kinda hard to tell.

ID sensor should be similar to what the E class offers, you walk up sensor in pocket and it unlocks for you. Not sure how id like that from a safety stand point. Not that anyone in a BMW is a target anyways.

Hope there still a CWP despite the hot seat recall..

DL
  • Options
    The Poplar might become very Popular :)
  • Options
    dlw314dlw314 Member Posts: 7
    Oops, my bad... Poplar it is... :)

I think I will go with this choice... I wouldn't mind having the lighter color this time around...
  • Options
    "but if you have snow in the winter, you'll need an extra set of wheels anyway"

I live up here in frost bitten Toronto Canada and I have driven my 99 323i with all-seasons for 6 years. The only necessity during winter is to be equipped with a shovel in your trunk. Shovelling your car out is a great winter exercise. Who needs snow tires!

• Options
    What am I doing wrong? I am going blind, trying to find this link. The link takes me to a page with several options on the left side. I can't seem to find the "build your own" link. Any ideas? Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.