Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 3-Series 2006

Comments

• rhmassrhmass Posts: 263
    As I am debating if I should get snow shoes for my xiT this winter, your experience with your a4 quatro led me to decide to try at least for this winter to stay with the standard all season tires. In the past, my snow tire equipped 3 series always got me through winters without assolutely any problem. Just got kind tired for the change-over twice a year!
    I may regret this January when a big snow storm hits us!
  • lehrer1lehrer1 Posts: 54
    Does anybody know what are our Bavarian friends did to "decoffeenate" 06 330i engine for 06 325i. The torque and HP must be better.
    Lehrer1
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    The 330i has a highly tuned three runner intake manifold that optimizes the rhythmic turbulence of the intake manifold so as to optimize volumetric efficiency (greater amounts of air and fuel in the combustion chamber before the spark event) in the combustion chamber. The 325i was given a single runner intake that is only optimized for midrange power and torque, thus preventing it from attaining the peak torque numbers (lower end) of the 330i as well as preventing it from the high rpm horsepower peak of its 3-Series sibling.

Best Regards,
    Shipo

P.S.

The following two links are to threads discussing this very topic.

shipo, "BMW 3-Series 2006+" #3773, 30 Jul 2005 9:21 am
    davidd3, "BMW 3-Series 2006+" #3748, 28 Jul 2005 9:22 am
  • wurb32wurb32 Posts: 3
    Thank you all for the advice. I am now leaning toward getting a 330i with the winter tires. Does anyone have recommendation on the winter tires?
  • rhmassrhmass Posts: 263
    As shipo mentioned earlier, you don't really need high performance winter tires since their purpose is not to drive fast, but safely within speed. I'd think Michelan X-Ice will work fine. This is the tire to replace the arctic alpins that I had for all my previous 3 series and they were excellent for all around winter driving. You should be able to get a set of four on steel wheels from Tirerack for less than $700.
  • dave330idave330i Posts: 893
    "Thank you all for the advice. I am now leaning toward getting a 330i with the winter tires. Does anyone have recommendation on the winter tires?"

Check out Tirerack.com. They'll have a comprehensive list of tire choices, and wheel size that'll work with your car.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    I'll echo what you said as well. I had Michelin Arctic-Alpin tires for my 530i, tires that I chose because they had 95% of the traction capabilities of the segment leader in 2002, but were much quieter on dry pavement (where the spend most of their time), and more capable on wet pavement. Were it that I was in the market for new winter tires today I'd be opting for the Michelin X-Ice model which replaced the Arctic-Alpins.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • lehrer1lehrer1 Posts: 54
    Shipo, thank you for your response.
    What is strange, the torque/rpm curves run parallel for for the both engines.
    Besides,if BMW found a way to improve the engine, what is the reason to decofeenate it.
    It is also simpler for production to have only one engine.
    Shipo, thank you for your response.
    Best regards,
    Lehrer1
  • bdr127bdr127 Posts: 950
    Besides,if BMW found a way to improve the engine, what is the reason to decofeenate it.

To create two distinct markets....

Some people aren't willing to pay more just for an engine (they just don't care about speed & acceleration), while others would readily justify the expense.

It also grabs more of the lower-priced (comparatively) luxury market and creates brand loyalty so that maybe one day they move up into something bigger. In this case, think of the 325i as the "gateway drug."
  • potemkinpotemkin Posts: 196
    bdr127, exactly right!

I stepped up from '95 318ti to an '05 325i SP precisely because even though I do care about speed and acceleration, I didn't think the price difference was justifiable at this time. Besides, the leap from the 1.8L to the 2.5L is impressive enough.

Now I think I'll save up my pennies for an M3.
  • bmwyayabmwyaya Posts: 11
    It's been rainy in our area lately. When accelerating more aggressively than normal from standstill, I hear some wheel noise from the rear. Is that DSC in work trying to prevent wheel slippage from the difference in traction between the two wheels? I know that there should be an icon on the dashboard displaying a DSC warning if it is in action but I wasn't looking at it then.
  • bmwyayabmwyaya Posts: 11
    But why wouldn't they ship the 06 325i with the real 2.5L engine as in Europe? Shouldn't that lower the production cost of the engine?
  • dom1dom1 Posts: 22
    Hello all,

Thanks for all the great discussions on this forum. I've found them very exciting and informative. After many meetings with my calculator, I finally placed my order for my 1st BMW ever :) . I'm pretty excited about it since it has been something that I always wanted to do. Anyway, I ordered it from a dealer located in southern NH with the following options
    Black saphire w/terra leather and burl walnut wood
    Premium and Sport Package w/18in 162 style wheels
    Heated Seats
    Auto trans.
    Nav. system

I first offered 3K under MSRP but the dealer would not accept :mad: . So we agreed on 2K under MSRP. I hope this was a good price since I am not used to pay more than $300 over invoice for any car.

Anyway, I visited tirerack to order some snow tires, and found out that wheels and tire packages are offered in 17in and 18in for this car. Is there any difference on snow driving performance between these sizes? Anybody worried about damaging the 18in rims in the snow? Also, I have read in this forum that it is not recommended to swap the tires and use the same wheel rims all year long. Is this mostly because the tires may be damaged changing them so often?

Last question, I tracked my order in bmwusa with the production number given by the dealer and the wrong color comes up with none of the options I ordered. Should I be worried about this and contact the dealership? The last thing that I want is to have to wait 10 weeks for delivery and then get the wrong car.

Thanks in advance for any replies,
    Dom
  • I first offered 3K under MSRP but the dealer would not accept . So we agreed on 2K under MSRP. I hope this was a good price since I am not used to pay more than $300 over invoice for any car.

It's a good price if you're comfortable paying it.
  • I can't answer your snow tires question, but I can answer your tracking.

Don't worry about it for now, what the dealer did is probably found a car slated soon for production and is switching the color on the order. The options will typically never show-up on bmwusa. The correct color should appear in a few weeks.
  • corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 4,002
    According to Car and Driver, the 6-speed manual 2006 330i ZSP will do 0-60 in 5.6 seconds (April 2005). The manual 325i ZSP will do it in 6.1 (November 2005). IMO, either number is plenty fast and perfectly worthy of the moniker "sports sedan."
  • sitsit Posts: 16
    I own 325i (AT).During test drive and break in period I noticed sluggish response atleast in the first gear.

I have noticed significnat improvment in car initial pick up and response of first gear after break in period.I have 4000 miles on my 325 i and it appears that with time it is getting better.

I travel about 130 miles a day and gas consumption on average is 29 MPG 30 % city and 70% high way). It is amazing how this car performs over 100 miles per hour. I have gone upto 135 MPH with no problems and the car has been very stable and responsive.

Just wondering what is up with automatic climate control. AC stays on even when the out side temeperature is lower that inside temperature. Guys what a difference in acceleration when you turn off the AC.

Does anyone else share similar experience.

SIT
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,104
    1st I want to congratulate you on purchasing your 1st BMW. I assume (you didn't mention) it is a 330i due to the fact that you got the Sport Package with the 18" wheels & tires. You're very smart in opting for a good 'ole rear wheel drive BMW and not feeling the "I gotta have All Wheel Drive" vibe that many consumers here in the Northeast have. As far as winter wheels & tires go, you're better off buying a separate set of wheels with the snow tires mounted on them for a few reasons.

You don't have to worry about your beautiful 18" SPort Package wheels getting ruined by the salt from the roads nor do you have to worry about damaging them if you can't avoid the craters in the road that the DOT refers to as potholes.

It will also be cheaper for you in the long run. In stead of getting the wheels and tires mounted and balanced every winter & spring, you can just have the tires & wheels swapped (or you can do it yourself if you are adventurous).

You might also want to check with tire rack to see if they offer a 17" wheels & tires package for the 330i. There are a few advantages to going with a minus 1 wheel & tire package during the winter. 17" snow tires are cheaper than 18" snow tires. You'll have a slightly taller sidewall and narrower contact patch. The taller sidewall will have more air in it and give you a better cushion if you can't avoid the pot-holes I mentioned above. The narrower contact patch will put more of the tires surface area on the road (due to the more concentrated weight) and give you better traction.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• carnaughtcarnaught Posts: 1,569
    for those of you who buy from Tire Rack, who mounts and balances your tires after they are shipped to you?
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,104
    they mount and balance the tires for you.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation