Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 3-Series 2006

Comments

• bmwcccbmwccc Posts: 234
    Shipo

I am sure you already know this but the 2006 version of the B7 ( A4 )will have the manual option as well as the S-Line package in summer of 2005.

IMO, shoppers will have a nice choice between BMW and Audi for both manual or auto options if they can wait until Aug/Sept.
  • dl7265dl7265 Posts: 1,381
    1998, wow has it been that long ? It's all comming back to me now. Im glad you brought up the manual issue here ,I wont have to post on the Passat thread :).

The other evening waiting on my salesperson I walked the entire lot and back lot pining to see one manual 325 or 330! Finally I located a Jet black/Sand leather Sport 325i.Now what important about this is one of the larger BMW centers in Dallas and nationally high sales numbers I understand. And.. I was told they were having trouble moving it....

To stay on Topic my 1st BMW ride(not ownership) was a 635CSI I was sold on the Ultimate Driving Experience :) My opinion as an accident investigator is Manual driver stay focused more on the road and are more safe.I mentioned on one thread about a guy eating a Chicken Fried Steak on a plate at a Red light..

DL
    to not get us Booted.. I just read the article on the E90 in April Motor Trend. Looking at their statistics the Legroom/headroom is the same. The longer chassis results in a slightly larger trunk and slight rear shoulder room. I would have appreciated slightly more legroom but less so than 5er size of course. Also they estimate the 330i at $37500 a $1800 increase.

DL
  • merckxmerckx Posts: 565
    All the press I've read mentions less rear headroom....
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 31,156
    Front headroom is up 0.4"
    Rear headroom is down 0.3"

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• planomlplanoml Posts: 244
    This is going to be "her car." I would have gotten SMG, but that's not available till September-can't wait that long. Regardless of whose car it is, I just can't stand to see the waste of a good 6 speed-probably the best in it's class. There is a preference difference between US & UK buyers. Brits prefer standard. I think it also has to do with the price of gas. My mother warned me that our cultural differences would come between us one day :)

On topic-Got the brochure yesterday. The E90 is beautiful in Sparkling Graphite. I'm going with that, now I just have to figure out if it's a 325 or 330. Why is it that everyone has a copy of the April Motor Trend, but my copy hasn't arrived yet :(
  • bigpapalukebigpapaluke Posts: 108
    Did you go to the dealership and request a brochure or go through BMW's website?
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Hmmm, interesting, I had sort of assumed that the E90 lost an inch in headroom. Why? Because I had compared it to the interior measurements of my 1999 328i, consider the following:

1999 E46 328i Headroom: (Fr) 38.4" (Rr) 37.5"
    2005 E46 330i Headroom: (Fr) 37.0" (Rr) 37.4"
    2006 E90 330i Headroom: (Fr) 37.4" (Rr) 37.1"

After thinking about this further I seem to remember someone mentioning that the E46 now comes standard with a moon roof whereas my 1999 did not (but I did order one). Yes, no? If that is the case, my bet is that the headroom measurement reflects the car in base trim, and that means that the E90 does in fact offer an extra 0.4" of head room compared to my 328i.

Errr, did that make any sense? I think it's time for another cup of Oolong. ;-)

Best Regards
    Shipo
    You've got it.. the '05/'06 figures are w/sunroof.. The figures for '99 are likely "without".

Have you seen the 3/1/05 pdf press release? A lot of good info in there.. It is amazing the number of changes that have been made.. Or maybe it isn't, since it is the first redesign in 7 years...

regards,
    kyfdx

Hmmm, nope, haven't seen it/can't find it. :-/ The only BMW press release that I've been able to find dated 3-Mar-2005 is the one about the "Lifted" 7-Series.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • giovanni1giovanni1 Posts: 106
    Anyone have any guess-timates on the turn-around time on the west coast for ordering a new 3 series?

I know the sport package production isn't slated to begin until Sept, I'm wondering if it would be possible to order and have delivery late Oct/early Nov?
    My SA mailed it to me.
    Yeah, I was going by my 1999 brochure that I still have handy :)

DL
  • selmselm Posts: 122
    Here is a variation on the "when will pricing come out" question:

When do you think the lease details (i.e. residuals and money factor) will come out for the 325i?
    Exact numbers? No guess from me, however, historically the residuals have been high and the money factors have been low.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • psyran1psyran1 Posts: 27
    I have never heard this re: the sport package. Do you mean "performance package". Certain features (e.g., comfort access) will not be available until September, but I am not aware of the sport pack being delayed. Any body else have info?
    There is no announced "Performance Package" for the E90 3-Series. I have seen several posts that have stated that the Sport Package will not go into production for the E90 until September, however, checking the "Ordering Guide" the only September reference it makes regarding the Sport Package is for the SMG, which requires the SP before they will allow you to order it.

So, my reading of the Ordering Guide says that the SP can be configured on any E90 right from the start of production as long as a Steptronic or 6-Speed manual is your transmission of choice. I'm thinking that a call to your local dealer should be able to clear this up.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Gotcha, so there is no ZHP package as of yet, only a sport package which I assume consists of larger wheels/tires and tigher suspension, as well as the sport seats yes? Does the sport package have that Active Steering? Hopefully that is a stand alone option.

I was considering SMG (Bay area traffic is almost as bad as the 405 in LA), but may stick with the manual. Any mention of anything else delayed until Sept?

Thanks for the updates.
    Regarding the ZHP, I'm betting that we won't see that option for the E90. Why? Because rumor has it that there will be a 4-Door sedan M3 for the E90, and the ZHP was kind of a Band-Aid that BMW put on the E46 to avoid having to create an E46 M3 Sedan.

Regarding delayed availability of certain options, the only ones that I've been able to devine from the documentation that I have is as follows:

- Comfort Access (September 2005)
    - 6-Speed SMG Transmission (September 2005)

That's it!

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Posts: 6,257
    I will hold out like a good boy and save my nickels for it.

If they build it, I will buy it. i told them that with the e46 but it never happened. :( I bought the band aid.
    All I will be delayed as I know I want the comfort access. I would love to hold out for the 4dr M3 but my current lease is up in Nov. Decisions, decisions. Thanks again for the info Shipo.
  • bmwfan2bmwfan2 Posts: 13
    Seems like the new 3 is gonna be in high demand. Should I order and put down a deposit now? would I lose an edge on haggling later if I do this? You don't lose the deposit if you don't want to proceed? Or should I wait until May? you guys think that we can get 3-4% off MRSP?

I'd appreciate any advice.
  • wstevecwstevec Posts: 126
    I was one of those nuts (some people would say) that put a deposit down in January. My thinking was that I needed to have a new car by September and I wanted to order it without a lots of extras. I am sure the later you wait, the better price you can get, but not likely more than the 3-4% off, it that before next year. I also felt that the longer I wait, the less my trade-in was going to be worth, so it all evens out, you can pay less and get less and pay more and get more. Just my .02 .
    The "official" debut is the first week of May..

I'll guess that we won't see residuals and money factors until the May lease programs are published..

We should have pricing on March 23rd.

The 3-series is BMW's largest selling model.. Compare it to the Accord..

They have to sell a bunch of them.. They won't sell at MSRP or a premium for very long, I predict...

I wouldn't worry about getting on a waiting list.. Something tells me that is the way to spend the most amount possible.

regards,
    kyfdx

Don't put down a depoit. Why not just agree to an '05 price, and whatever the difference is; when the actual prices come out. For example, if you would buy an '05 330 for say $40k, and the E90 comes out at $44k, you agree to $40k plus whatever the difference is (in this case $4k). The above figures are just for example purposes. Best of luck.
    Don't know if this has been posted, but the April edition of Automobile stated that the base 330 price would be $36,395. That is about $695 or 2% more than the 2005 base retail price of $35,700.

We will find out on March 23rd for sure, but if this is the case, it is great news. It also means both Kyfdx ($1,000-2,000) and I (said $200)are wrong. I should have been more smart, & stated a range like $200-$1,000 :)
  • cartalkcartalk Posts: 134
    Interesting on the pricing, however I think a more apt comparison would be "similarly equipped".

For example, it's been posted here that the current 330i suspension will perhaps be optional on the E90. Will the slider that is now standard on the 2005 be optional/part of a package?

Need more info to make an apples to apples comparison on the increase.

Just my $.02
    Errr, what's a "slider"?

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Posts: 6,257
    If you're gonna pick a price, tell them $1500 (and that amount makes me fell ill as it's way too much to give a dealer) over invoice. I can't fathom offering to pay MSRP on a car. That's crazy talk.
This discussion has been closed.