Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 3-Series 2006

Comments

• blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Posts: 6,257
    Quite simply, help her learn how to drive stick. If it's gonna be your car (as in daily driver), I can't see any logical reason you should be miserable.
  • kyfdx@Edmundskyfdx@Edmunds Posts: 25,918
    "I can't see any logical reason you should be miserable."

Really... this is the funniest thing I've read all day...

Then again, maybe it isn't...

I'll lay odds that you aren't married.. ;-)

regards,
    kyfdx
    (who agrees with you wholeheartedly)

Moderator - Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Wow, I sure am glad that Mrs. Shipo would prefer to drive a stick, and certainly would be doing so every day if a Dodge Caravan could still be had that way. Back when our growing family forced us to consider getting a van, she was driving a Neon Sport with a 5-Speed and loved it. I said to her one night, "Dear, I think it's time for us to think about getting a minivan."

Her, "Yeah, I suppose you're right. Which models come with a stick shift?" Honestly, that was the very first question she asked me.

Me, "Errr, well, to the best of my knowledge, none that are big enough for what we need."

Her, "Well then I'm not driving it, you are."

Me, "Sweetie, I have a two hour commute through NYC traffic everyday, you have a five minute commute to the train. There is no way I'm driving a slush box for two hours every day."

And that was that. We didn't revisit the topic for another year, until it became obvious to her that a minivan, even with an automatic, was an absolute necessity.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • deweydewey Posts: 5,243
    The Stick shift debate is the most contentious debate in our marriage.

In fact second most contentious debate. First one is how I surf TV channels during my wife's prescence.
  • bigpapalukebigpapaluke Posts: 108
    This is a great story. While I don't have the years of experience in car knowledge as most of the people on this board, I will say that what I have noticed in the metro areas like in DC and Charlotte, most people own a BMW for the sake of owning one, not because it offers great performance and handling. So as I enviously peak inside BMWs parked in my work garage and see the automatic transmission, I just think "What a waste of a great performance vehicle." And that's not to say owning an automatic is a waste, I just personally think you're not maximizing the car's performance in a manual.
    Thanks for clarifying. When I saw on the Audi website a non-mannual option, I flipped. It is bizarre that they would release the mannual after the automatic rather than intandem. But the new exterior design of the E90 still wins out for me over the new A4.
    Hmmm, thinking out loud (sort of).

Given Audi's lukewarm support (and waning) of those of us who like to stir our own, I find myself wondering how long it will be before an Audi dealership somewhere lacks even a single technician that can drive a stick let alone work on one (not that they need much work).

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Posts: 6,257
    I'm not but the girl I dated for 8 years didn't do a number of things when I met her. She didn't eat sushi and couldn't drive stick. I rectified both deficiencies.

Growing up in my household my parents had very clear lines drawn regarding the cars. My mom always had a convertible or sports car and dad always had sedans/big trucks and his show cars. They'd drive each others cars but would readily admit, "god this car is horrible." when talking about the other's cars.

I have feeling it'll be the same in my household one day. She can drive anything she wants but don't expect me to like it. Not that it should matter. :)
  • giovanni1giovanni1 Posts: 106
    I hear ya, I think I'm jumping ship from Audi to BMW.
  • Kirstie@EdmundsKirstie@Edmunds Posts: 10,676
    Not coincidentally, the topic of my post is identical to the topic of this discussion. Let's stick to it. Thanks!

(if you need a manual v automatic discussion re-opened, give us a shout)

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• bmwcccbmwccc Posts: 234
    Shipo

I am sure you already know this but the 2006 version of the B7 ( A4 )will have the manual option as well as the S-Line package in summer of 2005.

IMO, shoppers will have a nice choice between BMW and Audi for both manual or auto options if they can wait until Aug/Sept.
  • dl7265dl7265 Posts: 1,381
    1998, wow has it been that long ? It's all comming back to me now. Im glad you brought up the manual issue here ,I wont have to post on the Passat thread :).

The other evening waiting on my salesperson I walked the entire lot and back lot pining to see one manual 325 or 330! Finally I located a Jet black/Sand leather Sport 325i.Now what important about this is one of the larger BMW centers in Dallas and nationally high sales numbers I understand. And.. I was told they were having trouble moving it....

To stay on Topic my 1st BMW ride(not ownership) was a 635CSI I was sold on the Ultimate Driving Experience :) My opinion as an accident investigator is Manual driver stay focused more on the road and are more safe.I mentioned on one thread about a guy eating a Chicken Fried Steak on a plate at a Red light..

DL
  • dl7265dl7265 Posts: 1,381
    to not get us Booted.. I just read the article on the E90 in April Motor Trend. Looking at their statistics the Legroom/headroom is the same. The longer chassis results in a slightly larger trunk and slight rear shoulder room. I would have appreciated slightly more legroom but less so than 5er size of course. Also they estimate the 330i at $37500 a $1800 increase.

DL
  • merckxmerckx Posts: 565
    All the press I've read mentions less rear headroom....
    Front headroom is up 0.4"
    Rear headroom is down 0.3"

• planomlplanoml Posts: 244
    This is going to be "her car." I would have gotten SMG, but that's not available till September-can't wait that long. Regardless of whose car it is, I just can't stand to see the waste of a good 6 speed-probably the best in it's class. There is a preference difference between US & UK buyers. Brits prefer standard. I think it also has to do with the price of gas. My mother warned me that our cultural differences would come between us one day :)

On topic-Got the brochure yesterday. The E90 is beautiful in Sparkling Graphite. I'm going with that, now I just have to figure out if it's a 325 or 330. Why is it that everyone has a copy of the April Motor Trend, but my copy hasn't arrived yet :(
    Did you go to the dealership and request a brochure or go through BMW's website?
    Hmmm, interesting, I had sort of assumed that the E90 lost an inch in headroom. Why? Because I had compared it to the interior measurements of my 1999 328i, consider the following:

1999 E46 328i Headroom: (Fr) 38.4" (Rr) 37.5"
    2005 E46 330i Headroom: (Fr) 37.0" (Rr) 37.4"
    2006 E90 330i Headroom: (Fr) 37.4" (Rr) 37.1"

After thinking about this further I seem to remember someone mentioning that the E46 now comes standard with a moon roof whereas my 1999 did not (but I did order one). Yes, no? If that is the case, my bet is that the headroom measurement reflects the car in base trim, and that means that the E90 does in fact offer an extra 0.4" of head room compared to my 328i.

Errr, did that make any sense? I think it's time for another cup of Oolong. ;-)

Best Regards
    Shipo
    You've got it.. the '05/'06 figures are w/sunroof.. The figures for '99 are likely "without".

Have you seen the 3/1/05 pdf press release? A lot of good info in there.. It is amazing the number of changes that have been made.. Or maybe it isn't, since it is the first redesign in 7 years...

regards,
    kyfdx

Hmmm, nope, haven't seen it/can't find it. :-/ The only BMW press release that I've been able to find dated 3-Mar-2005 is the one about the "Lifted" 7-Series.

Best Regards,
    Shipo