Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Rough Start-Stop System - 2015 Acura TLX SH-AWD Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited April 2015 in Acura
imageRough Start-Stop System - 2015 Acura TLX SH-AWD Long-Term Road Test

The 2015 Acura TLX V6 SH-AWD has features that one of our editor's 2011 TL Tech package did not, including Auto Engine Stop. Here's his take on the TLX's fuel-efficient technology.

Read the full story here

Comments

• chol92594chol92594 Member Posts: 208
    Even though I understand the reasoning behind auto stop/start systems, I just don't think they're ready for widespread use yet. I've heard that some systems are either nearly imperceptible or extremely noticeable. Having the engine stop and then start again in a jarring fashion would be bad enough on any car, but on something being marketed as a luxury car, it's simply unacceptable. I'd be curious to know if the TLX's start/stop system stays disabled permanently or if it resets every time the ignition is cycled. If automakers are going to force these systems onto new car buyers, they should at least offer the option to keep the system permanently disabled. If the V6 TLX is jarring with a stop/start system, I'd hate to know how much worse the same system would be on a 4-cyl TLX. Plus, I'd imagine that the extra start-ups would just wear out the starter prematurely, along with other components.
  • kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    Another one of those complexities added to ICE to make them less pleasant and more problem prone. This is another example where a pure electric car just makes sense. You come to a stop and the battery just stops sending power, push the throttle and instant torque. No shutting down mechanical items not designed to be shut on and off.
  • ebeaudoinebeaudoin Member Posts: 509
    2 Questions-

1) Does the Auto-Stop default to "On" after you turn the car off then get back in?
    2) How do you like the 8DCT in your TLX 4cyl?
  • misterfusionmisterfusion Member Posts: 471
    Do we KNOW that auto stop-start makes engines more problem-prone? Honest question - the automakers claim vaguely that cars so equipped have "strengthened engine components", which does not answer the question. On the other hand, if there were even a hint of unreliability, I am sure we would see a widespread consumer panic over the issue (because consumers love to panic).
  • elkoholicelkoholic Member Posts: 2
    Glad to know you're enjoying your 2.4, Matt - I'm crazy about my TSX, and have been interested in upgrading to the TLX since it was announced. Happy to have some more long-term data now.

Is the auto stop/start function linked to the IDS? For example, will Sport or Sport+ modes automatically disable the system, while Normal and Econ keep it active? Or do they operate completely independent of one another?
  • throwbackthrowback Member Posts: 445
    My wife's 2015 Mini has auto stop, it's awful. The car shudders when the engine comes to life more than on initial start up. I turn it off whenever I get in. Thankfully it does not default back to auto stop.
  • redskinsdmvredskinsdmv Member Posts: 52
    Thanks for touching on it, I guess it is indeed as annoying as I've heard.