Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VW Passat TDI

Comments

• fish8fish8 Posts: 2,282
    On Passat gassers you can do $1000 BELOW INVOICE.
  • bjbird2bjbird2 Posts: 647
    ...and 0% financing on the gassers...
  • Well I guess I waited long enough and probably as long as possible to buy a 2004 Passat TDI. It was a cancelled order and the last 04 on the lot. While there were already 05's on the lot, I felt the discount on the packed 04 was a better deal, since I'm not looking for resale any time soon. Excited about the prospects of decent milage after years of gas hogs. Now just need to find diesel pit stops in Connecticut.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,681
    Watch for BP stations. They are supposedly only selling ULSD ECD-1 diesel. I wish I could buy one in CA. Good luck & welcome to the forum.
  • I just took delivery of my 2005 Passat TDI, and let me tell you It's SWEET. I ordered it at Heritage Volkswagen Union City, Georgia and they gave me $1,000 below MSRP. This is better than I got from all dealers in Georgia and car buying services.

I'm averaging about 35-40 MPG over the road, 60% interstate and 40% city. The car is far nicer than I imagined. I've read alot of bad comments about VW and there quality, but from what I've seen It's really good.

I ordered the TDI with GLS package, Reflex Silver, ESP, Cold Weather Package. The dealer received another 2005 with all the a fore mentioned items along with the 17" wheels, and Leather package. I wasn't too happy at first with the additional items but upon seeing the car and driving it, I'm glad It came like that.

I also have a friend who bought a 2004 Passat TDI and is trying to sell it because they don't like the color. It's a GLS with Leatherette, 1500 miles on engine and 2-3 months old. They will be letting it go for a steal I think about $24,000. Email me If your interested in there contact information (go to my profile for address). I thought that someone else would like to have a crack at a good deal.
    So the stories of no TDI in the 2005 Passat were not true. Good to hear a happy owner story. Makes me more likely to try and get a Passat TDI. I'd like a wagon though.
  • Maybe not, my dealer thinks the 05 TDI will continue until the 2005.5s(April/May) The body change will trigger any TDI availability change. I really don't know if anyone has the inside story!!!
  • playplay Posts: 38
    In my opinion, it's inconceiveable that VW would introduce a diesel option on the Passat, only to have it taken off the market several months later. I suspect that the TDI option will play a bigger part in their 2005.5 Passat plans. Time will tell....
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,225
    In my opinion, it's inconceiveable that VW would introduce a diesel option on the Passat, only to have it taken off the market several months later.

You mean like they did back in 1997? LOL!!
    From my experience with the sales people here in San Diego, I am not sure VW is really interested in our market. Do they send us what they don't sell in Europe? Maybe they make a lot more in Europe on their cars. The prices in the UK are horrendous compared to the US. Even the Jag costs more in the UK than here.
  • deweydewey Posts: 5,243
    "You mean like they did back in 1997? LOL!! "

VW does view N. America as an important market! Unfortunately their view is not consistent with their past and current efforts here. In fact VW is losing market share in China(VW wants to sell more cars there than in Germany) and they are having a tough time with sales in Europe.

TDI Passats are among the very few hot sellers in the VW family. Now the theory they will discontinue the car next year! That sounds crazy! Even Mercedes Benz views the diesel potential positively(E320)

VW mismanagement is a global phenomena and not a N. American phenomena. VW stock market valuation has dropped the most among car makers this past year. For the first time ever Hyundai's car division has a stock market value equal to VW(this valuation definitely reflects VW mismanagement)
    Is Porsche and Audi pulled down by the same mismanagement or do they stay separate?
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Posts: 2,367
    Porsche has no connections any more, at least that I know of, to VW the Corporation. Their technical collaboration continues [Toureg / Cayenne], but Porsche's management and supervisory board, I believe, are unconnected with VW's, and the corporation seems to go its own decidedly independent way.

Audi is more problematic - there are interlocking connections between supervisory board members, stock ownership, and marketing strategies, and of course shared engineering and manufacturing and suppliers.

There are still members of the Porsche extended families [including most famously, the Piech branch] who have connections and own pieces of both VW and Porsche. But these two entities are managed completely independently - that is not true with Audi and VW, which are still joined at the hip in most important respects.
  • atfatf Posts: 8
    I have a 05 TDI Wagon on order since June, Dealer said it should be here in 2 weeks but VW
    Will not confirm the date, what is the port of entry? Thanks for any Info. Rick
  • deweydewey Posts: 5,243
    True, Porsche is a fully independent company.
    Audi is a part of VW and is doing quite well. After Phaeton, I can only hope that VW will discontinue making premium priced VWs that cater to the Audi market.
    That is one crazy strategy---Invest billions in order to design premium VW vehicles that are similar to Vw's most profitable division(Audi) .
    This is the most intentional Cannibalization strategy I have ever seen.
    Anyway despite my complaints, I am still dreaming of buying the new version of a Passat Wagon TDI with manual sometime in 06. I guess I will have to immigrate to Germany in order to accomplish that.(I believe there would be future warranty problems if I bought a model in Germany that does not exist in N. America)
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    Port of entry? There are multiple ports depending on location. What is your location?
  • atfatf Posts: 8
    You are right, I found out it will come in at Brunswick GA.
  • Interesting, as Houston is a major port of entry for VW.

We picked up our '05 GLS wagon yesterday that was ordered as an '04 in March. We got 1800 below MSRP which was supposed to be 500 over invoice. Lots of folks are paying sticker, or more, and are spoiling it for the rest of us. I've never paid sticker for a vehicle and wouldn't have owned this one if I had to pay it.

Sure glad I was able to make a deal as this is a SWEET vehicle.
  • While I was getting my first oil change for my 04 TDI wagon I noticed a hot and loaded Passat TDI sedan waiting at Jim Ellis VW in Atlanta....Get it fast! I love my wagon....Recently I drove from Atlanta to DC (3 adults plus luggage) on one tank of fuel...On the way home to ATL we didn't even stop for a potty break...amazing fuel mileage....amazing bladder control!
  • Our Passat TDI Wagon is at the dealer, a few months earlier than anticipated. Its an '05 in the really dark (graphite?) blue with tan leather, heated seats, ESP, but no sun-roof or alloys.
    I'm 6'5" so head-room counts, and the stock rims will have snow tires for the winter, with Ultra-performance summer tires on 17" (or 18") alloys for the summer.

The problem is that it needs a glow-plug and there are almost no parts for the PD-TDI engine in North America. So we can look at it, sit in it, but can't drive it yet. But after waiting several months another week won't matter.

ANY SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT THE BEST-LOOKING AFTERMARKET WHEELS ARE?
    After looking at many styles (and price is a factor, so no O.Z. super-legarras or whatever) but one of the ones we like most are the stock wheels from the Passat W8 (the 9- or 11-spoke ones).

But very interested in other suggestions.