Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VW Passat TDI

Comments

• I have an 04 Passat TDI and I noticed that it felt like somebody slammed into the back of my car when I decelerated and then accelerated.
    I asked a couple of friends who told me that they experienced the same problem and were told by others that there was a problem with the transmission module.
    I went to the NHTSA safety board and looked it up.
    I found that there is a notice for the transmission module.
    I took it to VW (I am on warranty) and they told me that I could get it fixed.
    I am bringing my car to them on Wednesday to have it done.
    Hope this helps.
    chefbutthead
  • I have been looking for a performance chip for my 04 Passat TDI.
    Does anybody know of a good chip for this vehicle?
    Thank you for any info that you can give me.
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,018
    A local newspaper is looking to interview consumers who are driving a diesel Volkswagen or Mercedes-Benz in the Midwest/Northeast area, please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Friday May 5, 2006 by 2:00 PM PST/5:00 EST containing your daytime contact information and where you’re located.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• dditmandditman Posts: 4
    I have a 2005 Passat GLS TDI and wanted to put a Tornado in it. Having some troubles. Any info is appreciated.
  • sebring95sebring95 Posts: 3,232
    Throw that tornado in the trash. Problem solved.
    What is the reason that you say throw it in the trash? I am interested in learning what others experiences have been.
    Quick internet search....

Popular Mechanics Fuel Savers Test

Consumer Reports same thing

Discovery Channel Mythbusters debunked it as well.

Those are the semi-sceientific tests. It appears most every TV station has done a less than scientific test and the results weren't much better.

If anything, it might mentally get people to drive more efficiently and think the Tornado is helping. If that works for you, by all means install it.
    Thank you for the info. I appreciate you backing up your statement with data rather than just stating your own opinion.

I plan on mailing it back this afternoon. I bought the size that their sizing chart recommended but I was unable to make it fit. I was not about to modify anything on the car to make it fit though. I was curious if anyone had used this before and if it had helped.

Thanks again!
  • eliaselias Posts: 1,904
    no tornado fuelsaver here, but passat tdi did nearly encounter a tornado - it got trashed with hailstones just like in the movie twister - on I95 2 days ago. it has ~93 dents and some smashed trim/grille pieces. the windshield did not shatter but the car did shake violently due to the weird wind/updraft/whatever. there were real tornados aloft and water spouts nearby. not sure if any of the tornados touched land but NWS is checking...
    Did these tornados help your mpg? :) Glad to hear you and the car came through in (sort of) one piece!
  • eliaselias Posts: 1,904
    thanks sebring95. wife & daughter were in the car at the time - it was just like the movie scene from _twister_ when the car gets shaken & belted with hail. they were terrified but are fine. i don't think any mpg changes resulted but will definitely start my own infomercial if i notice any mpg improvement.
    glad to hear everyone is OK.
  • geminidoggeminidog Posts: 1
    If I buy a 2004 or 2005 Passat TDI, will I be able to pass local emission tests in years to come?

I presently live in Illinois, moving to Texas.

[Apologies if this has been discussed already - thanks]
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,914
    I do not know of a state that does retroactive emissions tests. You will probably never be asked to have it tested. Right now in CA there is no test available for the VW TDI engines. Saves you money on every license. When the new diesels come out they will probably have a test for them.
  • I love my 06 Jetta TDI. Any chance the Passat wagon will be available again as a TDI, perhaps in 07 or 08?
  • I have a 1995 made-in-Canada VW Passat TDI (I think that was the first year they were made in Canada) and am looking for a good parts source--parts are tough to find here in the states. I need a new fuel/speedo/tach console. Any suggestions? I live in southern Oregon so it's a bit of a haul to the border

John
  • hi
    Can anyone help. I have a 2001 passat tdi 130bhp.
    On start up the turbo demand is ok but after 10-15 minutes the turbo drops of line or high revs are required for it to kick in, the acceleration is poor and stagnates at 80mph in 6th gear ie no or extremely slow acceleration. engine idle is ok. i am getting oil coming through the EGR VALVE AND HAVE A STUCK MAP SENSOR. Is this the cause or i am looking at a new turbo unit
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 203
    My wife and I just completed a 1622 mile round trip to San Francisco in our 2004 Passat TDI wagon. This year we averaged 40.5 mpg for a total fuel cost of $119.00.

Now I have to go back to driving our 2006 Jetta TDI during the work week because it uses less fuel. ;)
  • guestguest Posts: 774
    Some parts will interchange with gas passats, other are unique. Search internet under Canadian VW parts and you will find mail order houses, which is ok if you do at least some of your own repairs, otherwise find a cooperative mechanic who will diagnose and you order. This may not be a great car for an owner who wishes minimal personal involvment in the maintenance of the car (like a superbusy outside sales person who must have the car up and running 100% of time). You could get a second gasoline car or US diesel to run when the Canadian is down.

Now I have a question for you: did you import the car from Canada? If so, tell me about brining it across to the US. I am considering buying a 95 passat turbodiesel for a veg oil conversion, and know something about inport rules, but always could use a few tips or referral to cooperative and econmonical "registered importer"....

thanks...steve myers in chicago at OakfieldA@Aol.Com
  • Oddly enough, I was on the 101 (so cal) and saw an 07 Passat Wagon TD. It had Van Nuys Volkswagen temp plates (graphics). I called the dealer and they said they had no idea what I was talking about and that TD's were not avail -especially in CA.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,914
    They were testing no doubt. I saw the RX400h in Hawaii a year before it was released and no one could shed any light on the subject. Did it look good? I have not seen any of the new Passat wagons diesel or gas. It would be a kick if they got CARB approval and kept it a secret.
  • Many on-line VW parts suppliers- do a Google search; www.partsplaceinc.com has an extensive on-line catelogue with new and used parts for most VWs.
  • I have a '97 Passsat TDI and noticed the same power issue. Let it go for about a year and then took it to the dealer for a code check. Check returned intermittant EGR code, but tech found a vacuum hose off. He put the hose back on and could not get the engine to malfunction. I drove it home and had no problems. Check engine light came back on after 15 miles, but that is the intermittant EGR code. It's been on since I bought the car 3.5 years ago. Has 233,000 miles on it and still gets 45 mpg. Never checked to see if oil was gong through the EGR- could be bad turbo seals?
  • u still need to break it in...
  • Today, or planned for the near future? In sedans that is.

I've had a lot of experience with diesel engines in trucks in the past, owned a diesel station wagon in the 80's. With the advances in diesel engines, and the prices of fuel - I believe that its now time for America to awaken to diesels advantages. :)
  • I am an original owner of a 97 TDI Passat sedan. I got a rebuilt engine and it ever since has NO power going up hills? It works fine on the flat or going downhill. My local VW dealer has replaced the comuter chip to no avail also suggested a new fuel pump and exhaust. Nothing helps. He said it maybe was due to the fact that I was using biodiesel! I know several people who use biodiesel and it does not affect their power. Any suggestions???
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Sounds like a possible turbocharger issue. How is your full-throttle acceleration from a dead stop?

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • I had trouble with my 2005 Passat TDI and the fuel filter. THe turbo was barely functioning. We changed the filter and all was fine for about 2K miles. Now it is colder, and in the mornings it starts right up and runs well. At idle it s sputters and chugs (no black smoke). After a 50 min commute and a short stop at home -- car wont start. Same thing the next afternoon long commute -- short stop car wont start. The odd thing is that after sitting all day at work or overnight it starts right up.
    THis has all been on one tank of fuel since Sunday. We bled the fuel and it seemed to start up right away, but I cant dontinue that! Could it simply be bad fuel? What other issues would cause it to not start?
    We are new to diesels so my hubbie doesnt know what to do....help?
    Judy
  • I have a 2005 passat tdi great car except 1 problem. Last week out of the blue the transmission blew ! :( It has 106,000 miles all highway, well taken care and know one from V.W. can help or give an answer except 4,000.00 for a new one. Has any one had the same trouble? I am wondering if is it worth to fix .
    If so any good trans. people around?

thanks
    sam
    from
    CT. :surprise:
    Well, transmissions are the weak link in just about all cars these days. Once over 100k miles, pretty much anything can happen. VW trannys either seem to last forever, or grenade at relatively low mileage.

Now what to do....is it worth fixing? Absolutely! What else are you going to do?

I would probably steer clear of a dealer on something like this. For $4,000 you're paying for a new (or most likely factory rebuilt) unit and the dealership is just going to swap them out. It should be possible to have a good transmission shop rebuild yours for half that and it should be just as good as that new/rebuilt unit from VW. Now the hard part can be finding a GOOD transmission shop. I'd avoid Aamco and maybe any chain for that matter. The best way to find a good shop is to ask around. If nobody you know has had trannys rebuilt, call a few shops and see who they recommend. Good luck!