Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

JDRF Track Day Fundraiser - 2015 Ford Mustang GT

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited April 2015 in Ford
imageJDRF Track Day Fundraiser - 2015 Ford Mustang GT

I drove our 2015 Ford Mustang GT to Willow Springs International Raceway to participate in a JDRF track day fundraiser.

Read the full story here

Comments

• mcesareymcesarey Member Posts: 11
    My wife actually pointed out the first time she saw one that the 2015 Mustang has a similar roof line as a 911. I have to agree, and it's my favorite aspect of the new Mustang's styling. This picture really resonates with me....I have a wonderful 2013 GT/CS is race red and am planning a purchase of either a Cayman or 911....great cars.
  • ebeaudoinebeaudoin Member Posts: 509
    I wonder what your MPG was for the track day.
  • grijongrijon Member Posts: 147
    edited April 2015
    What are the tape masks for? (Never been to a track day...)
  • desmoliciousdesmolicious Member Posts: 671
    "The tires looked beat, but I’d been given the green light to use them up before I left the office."

I thought you called the shots?

Excellent write up. It would be most excellent if you could drive an ecoboost Stang in similar fashion to compare the two.
  • iamthestigiamthestig Member Posts: 85
    Great post. Thanks!

My jaw dropped when I saw those beautiful sports cars masked in blue painter's tape. What a travesty! You spend big bucks on a sports car, take it to its native environment, and then cover it in an ugly mask to prevent stone chips and dirt. A 3M clear film would accomplish this with much less ugliness, or best of all just wear the track-day blemishes as a badge of honor (though I'd probably go with a 3M clear film). You'd never see me painters-taping my car.
  • bassracerxbassracerx Member Posts: 188
    grijon said:

What are the tape masks for? (Never been to a track day...)

it keeps the expensive cars looking fresh. a lot of rubber will cover the front of a car after a long track day not to mention paint chips/scratches from rocks
  • notfastnotfast Member Posts: 93
    Isn't that racers' tape? (not painters' tape) I've seen it used before here in the Midwest, but not very often. Is Willow in the desert with lots of sand and rock to get kicked up?
  • actualsizeactualsize Member Posts: 451
    edited April 2015
    Rubber marks are certainly an issue at any track, but they can be removed with the right chemical. But Willow Springs is also a desert track with a lot of rocks and gravel waiting to chip your paint if you spin off or run wide. The car ahead can also spray you with gravel if the driver drops a tire at the apex of a corner or runs over a rock someone else spit onto the track.

Racers simply deal with it, and the front ends of their cars get pitted with battle scars that build up over a season. But track day folks have a different tolerance for front-end scarring. They're not racing, and these are their prized street cars.

Blue painters masking tape is preferred (even though it's not as thick as racer's tape) because it doesn't leave adhesive behind when it is pulled off. Racer's tape, on the other hand, is essentially colored duct tape. It can be quite hard to strip off, especially after the thick adhesive melts after a long day in the direct sun of the desert.

Twitter: @Edmunds_Test

• actualsizeactualsize Member Posts: 451
    ebeaudoin said:

I wonder what your MPG was for the track day.

5.9 mpg. Check out the March fuel economy update: http://www.edmunds.com/ford/mustang/2015/long-term-road-test/2015-ford-mustang-gt-fuel-economy-update-for-march.html

Twitter: @Edmunds_Test

• eblacc1993eblacc1993 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2015
    WESTLAKE VILLAGE, Calif., March 25, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- On March 26th, L.A. Car Connection (LACC) and the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF) will partner at the Willow Springs International Speedway in Palmdale, CA for the 4th Annual LACC Invitational Track Day, from 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.

Porsche, Ferrari, Lexus, BMW and Jaguar's are just a few of the fast, exotic cars racing the world-renowned racetrack at Willow Springs. The 4th Annual LACC Invitational Track Day includes a variety of fun events such as live music, delicious food and fabulous auction items donated by many of LACC's famous clientele.

"Each year, with the help of our team and JDRF, this event keeps getting bigger and better and I am very pleased with the level of fundraising support and excitement this event has generated," said Eric Brooks, President and Founder of L.A. Car Connection.

L.A. Car Connection has worked with JDRF to help raise funds toward Juvenile Diabetes research for the past four years, raising more than $50,000 in 2014. They sponsor research to combat this disease, while helping those living with T1D to learn to manage and control their symptoms

JDRF is the leading global organization funding type 1 diabetes (T1D) research. JDRF's goal is to progressively remove the impact of T1D from people's lives until we achieve a world without T1D. JDRF collaborates with a wide spectrum of partners and is the only organization with the scientific resources, regulatory influence, and a working plan to better treat, prevent, and eventually cure T1D.

As the largest charitable supporter of T1D research, JDRF is currently sponsoring $568 million in scientific research in 17 countries. In 2012 alone, JDRF provided more than $110 million to T1D research. We hope you'll join us to be part of the fun and help find a cure for juvenile diabetes.

About L.A. Car Connection (LACC)

L.A. Car Connection (LACC) is located in Westlake Village, California. It offers the most unique car buying and leasing experience in the automobile industry today. An unwavering commitment to customer service, and a 20+ year track record for delivering any vehicle imaginable for its unique clientele. For more information about LACC visit www.lacarconnection.com

Janet Laird
    [Phone number removed]