Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2004 Toyota Echo Hatchback (Canadian model)

2»

Comments

• weelzweelz Posts: 20
    I cannot understand that either....why would they not sell it in the U.S.??

I guess the Scion is supposed to be the model you get there.I still like this hatch better though.Maybe 2005 will bring the car there who knows?

Fun car though,really whips around town in a hurry :)
  • odmanodman Posts: 309
    The Scion Xa was chosen for the USA over the Echo HB, but early figures show that the Xa isn't doing as well as expected, and that the more distinctive Xb is accounting for the bulk of Scion's sales.

I think the US marketing folks are going to watch very closely how the Echo HB does here and who buys it and what they are conquesting. Part of their decision whether to bring the hatch depends on what happens to the Echo sedan. If sales are lost to the Xa/Xb, don't expect to see the HB there. If Echo retains its different buyer base, there might be an opportunity to expand sales with the HB.
    I know that earlier standards were different, but I thought Canada had harmonized with the US. A simple check of Echo sedan hardware would verify. If Cdn and US controls are the same, then the HB should be at least 49-state legal. California would be the exception.
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    Just curious, aside from Weelz, are there any other 2004 Echo Hatchback owners out there? We'd love to hear from!

Also, if you know anyone that's interested in discussing this subject, please send them to this discussion. Here's a direct link to this discussion that you can copy/paste:

/direct/view/.ef13e7f/

Thanks for your participation! ;-)

Revka
    Host of Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
    They have been on sale since late July and we are just starting to see them on the streets. In the past week I saw two black ones, a silver, a gold and a white one in various areas around the GTA. The black ones look really sharp!
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    I saw a blue one in RS trim that looked really sharp. Can't decide if the 3-dr or 5-dr looks better. But I think the spoiler really improves the looks of either one.
    I think the 5-doors actually look better than the 3-doors. They just seem better balanced, the same way I thought the original 4-door Neons looked better than the 2-doors.

Anyone in the Toronto area should go check out the Tuner show at Yorkdale Mall this weekend. A dealer is displaying red RS 5-door with a wild graphics package. The rest looks bone-stock, but it was cool to see.
  • Here is the Dutch version of the echo (called Yaris). This is the turbo model. I think it looks cool.

http://www.autoweek.nl/newsdisp.php?cache=no&ID=1499
    Only thing that has me a bit concerned is the size of the Echo. There's really not much "crumple-zone" around the passengers. In an altercation with an SUV, would it get squashed like a bug?! Anyone share the same concerns?
  • cp4hcp4h Posts: 18
    I guess everything is a compromise isn't it. If you were too concern about crashworthness, why not get a used four door civic for the same amount of money ? They have very good crashratings and feel very stable on highway.
    It's funny you should mention Civic because that is exactly the other car we're considering. But here in Canada, to get a Civic with ABS, which is standard in all Echo hatchbacks, the price is about $3k more (out-the-door).
  • carlisimocarlisimo Posts: 1,280
    In some colleges, she'll be driving carless people around pretty often, so backseat safety would be something to think about. If it's a long drive through a windy area, the Echo will get buffetted pretty bad.

I'd still go for the Echo though. Take a large computer monitor box to the dealership. See which car it fits in more easily. That would be ultimate college car test. I suspect the Echo will be better for cargo.
    Here's another positive review of the Echo hatch. It points out that it drives well on the highway, and that with a very low weight, it's torque is more than sufficient for getting around better than the old gutless Tercels of yore.

http://www.nationalpost.com/driversedge/story.html?id=92EDF704-62- 31-4147-84DB-ECB7065402F5
  • kklosekklose Posts: 3
    I know I paid too much, but one of our local dealers managed to import one from Canada, and after driving it, had to have it!! It is a silver auto RS. Very attractive, comfortable, very good driver, quite quick. I bought it for my son, but he's going to have to pry it out of my hands! I absolutely love it, it is just about the best handling car I've owned in my 35 years of driving.
    You can price one on the Toyota.ca site, do the exchange conversion and see if you paid too much. They're selling at pretty much at MSRP up here in Canada.
    You must sure turn a lot of heads with it. Where in the US are you? We are starting to see lots on the streets here and they really are distinctive. Moreso than the Scion Xa, which we don't get.

Did the dealer import just one or a bunch? Any issues with conversion to US standards or warranty coverage?
  • I have been very happy with my 1987 Sprint hatchback (actually made by Suzuki) that I have owned since new. It now has 200,000 miles on it and needs to be replaced - not due to mechanical problems but rather due to rusting. It gets up to 60 miles per US gallon, and it has been a very economical car all around. I am shopping for a new car and have settled on an Echo. But the sedan/coupe style is the only one offered here in the US. I would much prefer the hatchback, so I am interested in getting a car in Canada, new, and importing it. Can anyone give me a list of dealers in the Niagara, Ontario, area and a checklist of things I will need to do to import it? And the expense of doing this? Are there any US dealers around Buffalo, NY who do this kind of thing?
  • janbeejanbee Posts: 127
    Try www.toyota.ca looks like there are toyota dealers in niagara falls, st catherines, welland & fort erie, which are all pretty close to the us/canada border.
2»
This discussion has been closed.