Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2004 Toyota Echo Hatchback (Canadian model)

Comments

• nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    check out all the minicars that are coming from Europe in the next couple of years, starting with the Smart...and the Japanese may respond by bringing some of their microcars over as well...

many of those will make the Yaris hatch look enormous by comparison...

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• odmanodman Posts: 309
    The Echo Hatch is the closest thing we have to the tiny SMART car in Europe -- for now.

Americans will be getting the 4-seater fourfor model when it comes out, but Canuks will get the original 2-seater. It would be ideal for Vancouver, Toronto, and Montreal (okay, it might have trouble in the snow drifts). I'm all for the creation of affordable, economical but high quality small cars.

The Echo is no Lanos. It's something that will still be drivable in 10-years time.
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    Is it just an oversight on the Toyota.ca site or is it really the case that only the 5-Dr LE is available with a dealer-installed security system? Seems kind of weird since even the RS cannot be configured with a security system. Has anyone any real-life experience on this issue?
    The Echo Hatch may be the Japanese rebirth of the Honda Civic hatch from the '70's and early '80's -- basic, simple, funky-looking, but well-built and a blast to drive. The quintessential car for college student on a budget.

Earlier models such as the Tercel and Nissan Micra tried and performance-wise they were slugs.
  • weelzweelz Posts: 20
    I have the 4 dr. LE.I did not get the security package on it but I can tell you that I found out keyless entry only comes with one remote.There is still alot of dealerships with this car on the lot who don't know it until the customer picks up the car?

I asked why that was not listed on the website too?You would have to ask a dealership and "possibly" they "might" have an answer for you.Or make up some BS to sell you the car anyway.

It is reliable car so far for me.Not much power but I did not expect it to have it anyway.It is good enough to get you around town and enough on the highway but not a rocket.It is however very quick and agile in the city,the small size really allows you to get in and out of traffic easily.Parking it is like parking a go-kart :)

If you want a new car under 20K that gets more points and stares than a 40K car buy one.It is funny seeing all the folks stare down your "econobox" be it a good or bad reaction :)
    Hey Weelz, good luck with the Echo HB.
    What colour did you get?
    What's it like out on the highway at 120+?
    I got the millenium gold color.Very bright and gets alot of attention.

I am still breaking the car in and I am just over 1500 K now.1800 k is supposed to be the break in point so I have not taken it over 100k too often.

I have passed a few cars without problem.there is enough power there with the 1.5 litre and the car is so light it moves quick enough for me. The car is surprisingly quiet.When you are at a light you do not even hear the motor.For a cheap econobox it rides well and handles good both city and highway.I would say it is very quick in the city and easy to weave in and out of traffic because of the small size of the car.It moves 4 people easily but don't expect to bring alot of cargo :)

These days I cannot see spending alot on a vehicle unless you want to store it in the winter and keep it as a classic.This car is good on gas (very good) and the money I save there will cover the increased insurance all drivers have faced this past year not to mention increased fuel costs.

Like I said before if you want speed and luxury look elsewhere.If you want to save some coin and have decent car proven free of problems and re-calls.....this one seems to deliver.
  • unfortunately for a (very) short time. It drives really well, and it looks great. Isn't this very cute ?

http://www.canadiandriver.com/roadtest/images/04echo_hb1.jpg

Me being an European, I've been waiting for this kind of cars for quite a long time - I also hope that the A-Class Merc, the Swatch, and the new Peugeots also make it here - sorry, but I really dislike most American cars - with a few exceptions (some Chryslers, for instance, which at least look good). I might be moving to the States (with the job) so I really hope that this little gem will be available in the US as well, pretty soon.
    I know there are a bunch of rules for importing a brand new car into the USA to sell to a new owner, but what about someone who already owns a car and isn't selling it. Do you still need to have the odo/speedo changed, etc? If your job is a short-term one, you might be able to just take it with you.

BTW: Thanks for the photo link. It looks great in blue.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    the smog and safety regs are different in the U.S., which makes it a problem to bring your Canadian car here and register it. If you could keep your Canadian reg in force, I imagine it would be OK to just keep it registered in Canada. A friend of mine tried to bring in a Volvo from his uncle in Newfoundland and was told there would be no way to bring it up to U.S. smog spec, and he ended up having to take the car back!

I wish they would sell this little hatch in the U.S.!

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

I cannot understand that either....why would they not sell it in the U.S.??

I guess the Scion is supposed to be the model you get there.I still like this hatch better though.Maybe 2005 will bring the car there who knows?

Fun car though,really whips around town in a hurry :)
    The Scion Xa was chosen for the USA over the Echo HB, but early figures show that the Xa isn't doing as well as expected, and that the more distinctive Xb is accounting for the bulk of Scion's sales.

I think the US marketing folks are going to watch very closely how the Echo HB does here and who buys it and what they are conquesting. Part of their decision whether to bring the hatch depends on what happens to the Echo sedan. If sales are lost to the Xa/Xb, don't expect to see the HB there. If Echo retains its different buyer base, there might be an opportunity to expand sales with the HB.
    I know that earlier standards were different, but I thought Canada had harmonized with the US. A simple check of Echo sedan hardware would verify. If Cdn and US controls are the same, then the HB should be at least 49-state legal. California would be the exception.
  • revkarevka Posts: 1,750
    Just curious, aside from Weelz, are there any other 2004 Echo Hatchback owners out there? We'd love to hear from!

Also, if you know anyone that's interested in discussing this subject, please send them to this discussion. Here's a direct link to this discussion that you can copy/paste:

/direct/view/.ef13e7f/

Thanks for your participation! ;-)

Revka
    Host of Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
    They have been on sale since late July and we are just starting to see them on the streets. In the past week I saw two black ones, a silver, a gold and a white one in various areas around the GTA. The black ones look really sharp!
    I saw a blue one in RS trim that looked really sharp. Can't decide if the 3-dr or 5-dr looks better. But I think the spoiler really improves the looks of either one.
    I think the 5-doors actually look better than the 3-doors. They just seem better balanced, the same way I thought the original 4-door Neons looked better than the 2-doors.

Anyone in the Toronto area should go check out the Tuner show at Yorkdale Mall this weekend. A dealer is displaying red RS 5-door with a wild graphics package. The rest looks bone-stock, but it was cool to see.
  • Here is the Dutch version of the echo (called Yaris). This is the turbo model. I think it looks cool.

http://www.autoweek.nl/newsdisp.php?cache=no&ID=1499
    Only thing that has me a bit concerned is the size of the Echo. There's really not much "crumple-zone" around the passengers. In an altercation with an SUV, would it get squashed like a bug?! Anyone share the same concerns?
  • cp4hcp4h Posts: 18
    I guess everything is a compromise isn't it. If you were too concern about crashworthness, why not get a used four door civic for the same amount of money ? They have very good crashratings and feel very stable on highway.
This discussion has been closed.