Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2004 Toyota Echo Hatchback (Canadian model)

13»

Comments

• bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    It's funny you should mention Civic because that is exactly the other car we're considering. But here in Canada, to get a Civic with ABS, which is standard in all Echo hatchbacks, the price is about $3k more (out-the-door).
  • carlisimocarlisimo Posts: 1,280
    In some colleges, she'll be driving carless people around pretty often, so backseat safety would be something to think about. If it's a long drive through a windy area, the Echo will get buffetted pretty bad.

I'd still go for the Echo though. Take a large computer monitor box to the dealership. See which car it fits in more easily. That would be ultimate college car test. I suspect the Echo will be better for cargo.
  • odmanodman Posts: 309
    Here's another positive review of the Echo hatch. It points out that it drives well on the highway, and that with a very low weight, it's torque is more than sufficient for getting around better than the old gutless Tercels of yore.

http://www.nationalpost.com/driversedge/story.html?id=92EDF704-62- 31-4147-84DB-ECB7065402F5
  • kklosekklose Posts: 3
    I know I paid too much, but one of our local dealers managed to import one from Canada, and after driving it, had to have it!! It is a silver auto RS. Very attractive, comfortable, very good driver, quite quick. I bought it for my son, but he's going to have to pry it out of my hands! I absolutely love it, it is just about the best handling car I've owned in my 35 years of driving.
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    You can price one on the Toyota.ca site, do the exchange conversion and see if you paid too much. They're selling at pretty much at MSRP up here in Canada.
  • odmanodman Posts: 309
    You must sure turn a lot of heads with it. Where in the US are you? We are starting to see lots on the streets here and they really are distinctive. Moreso than the Scion Xa, which we don't get.

Did the dealer import just one or a bunch? Any issues with conversion to US standards or warranty coverage?
  • I have been very happy with my 1987 Sprint hatchback (actually made by Suzuki) that I have owned since new. It now has 200,000 miles on it and needs to be replaced - not due to mechanical problems but rather due to rusting. It gets up to 60 miles per US gallon, and it has been a very economical car all around. I am shopping for a new car and have settled on an Echo. But the sedan/coupe style is the only one offered here in the US. I would much prefer the hatchback, so I am interested in getting a car in Canada, new, and importing it. Can anyone give me a list of dealers in the Niagara, Ontario, area and a checklist of things I will need to do to import it? And the expense of doing this? Are there any US dealers around Buffalo, NY who do this kind of thing?
  • janbeejanbee Posts: 127
    Try www.toyota.ca looks like there are toyota dealers in niagara falls, st catherines, welland & fort erie, which are all pretty close to the us/canada border.
13»
This discussion has been closed.