Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus RX 330

Comments

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 40,826
    You seem to be the only recent poster who complained about excessive brake pressure being required, and that was back in June.

Others have complained:

Brake complaints involving Lexus SUVs investigated (Kansas City Star)

The current Spotlight ad on the main Edmunds.com page is the RX 330.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Echo Lola's comments. Cargo capacity is excellent, plenty of room for family of 4. I'm 6'4" and it feels like I'm driving around in my living room. Very happy with the sound system, and all the bells and whistles, especially the power rear hatch.

I'm sorry, but I feel like a million bucks driving around in a 330. The MDX and XC90 are nice looking, but the RX is one of a kind in my book.
  • bennbbennb Posts: 143
    I think the cargo space could be better, but I'm not willing to sacrifice length. The slope of the back cuts into the total space. Four sets of golf clubs really fills up the back and not much room after that.
  • I just purchased a 2005 RX330 and I couldn’t be happier. This is my first luxury car purchase and all I can say is this thing is awesome! The RX330 is beautiful; defiantly number in its segment. I looked at several SUV’s including the Pilot, XC90, X3, and the MDX. The RX330 by far outshines all these vehicles in overall value. All the other vehicles had something I did not like: The Pilot was to bulky and frankly to big for my wife and I, the XC90 lacked in rear leg room and headroom (I am 6’3”), The X3 was my second favorite due to handling, but the interior wasn’t as plush as the 330’s, and the MDX lacked in the quality of leather and styling. The RX330 won out due to its plush interior (the best leather I have ever seen and touched), its styling, which I see lasting for years to come, and the quite and refined ride of a Lexus. My favorite things are the auto lifting rear gate and the Mark Levinson audio system. I am very happy with my purchase and I look forward to participating on this board regularly.
  • I've noticed that the left front light swings more than the right front light in my RX330 with AFS. Left light swings more to the left (when you turn left), than the right light swings more to the right (when you turn right).

Dealer tried to tell me that it was designed this way. ???? Have anyone else experienced this?
  • gottlsgottls Posts: 21
    It should be mentioned in the car manual. I've know about it for some time doing my research on the car. I placed my order 10 days ago and expect to get it the last week of March. As far as the left and right lights being different, this was mentioned in the TV commercial and also at several car shows in the area.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Clue: In England the right light swings farther....
  • Hi all,
    I'm planning to purchase a RX330 and I was wondering if there's enough room in the cargo area for two large dogs. I have a Rhodesian Ridgeback and a French Mastiff and it's important that both dogs and fit in the cargo area. I also have a toddler so one of the dogs sitting in the back seat isn't an option. Thanks!
  • Do you know when the next year's model will be coming out? I'm debating on buying the car now or waiting a couple of months for the next year's model. I know that 2006 400 hybrid will be out in April but I'm not interested in a hybrid car.
  • I apologize if this question is stupid or obvious but can someone explain to be the difference between AWD and FWD? I need a car that can perform in snow. Is one better than the other? Feedback is much appreciated.
    It's not stupid nor obvious; we have whole forums bogged down in the argument. For starters:

What Wheel Drive?

This discussion was one of the more recent active ones:

AWD vs FWD with VSC + Traction Control

And for more than you may have wanted to know, you could start at the first post in Toyota 4WD systems explained.

After you decide which is best for you, then we'll talk about tires, LOL.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

IMMHO also any car will perfrom quite well in "snow".

What you really should be concerned about is ice & well packed snow.

I try to run summer tires on my vehicles but also have snowchains at the ready if the need arises.

NOTHING beats a set of snowchains for getting around in typical wintertime conditions in the mountain pass areas of WA, OR, ID, MT.
  • gottlsgottls Posts: 21
    I'm setting here waiting for my RX330 to come in, we are at week 3 out of 6 to 7 week wait. To pass the time I'm going over the past post to learn everything about the car. It's the next best thing to actually having it in my possession. The one question that I'm unable to find relates to the Nav. system. In my Acura the navigation system will tell you the approx. elevation at your current position. Will the '05 Lexus RX330 navigation be able to do the same? Still week three, time moves slow.
  • joelfjoelf Posts: 1
    I just picked up my 2005 Rx330 with Nav. Is there a version number for the most current map
    DVD. How does one know if they have the most recent maps?

JoelF
  • dorothykdorothyk Posts: 31
    Our 05' Lexus RX330 does not show elevation or altitude information. In some respects, the Acura is ahead of Lexus in navigation features like real time traffic information. We still find it extremely helpful. Here is a link to some FAQ on the navigation system from the company that actually makes the unit...ignore the Australia specific references

http://www.denso.com.au/dw/satnav/satnav_faq.htm
    Okay, here is my FINAL answer.

The absolutely correct one.

Modern day cars are shipped from the factory with only rudimentary "tutoring".

All of the engine fuel mixture and performance parameters are loaded into their respective ECU (ROM?) memory tables as preliminary approximations.

For instance, my 1993 Ford Ranger with an I4 has an idle air bypass solenoid that is used to provide a linear function. As time goes by the engine ECU "learns" how to correctly pulse width modulate the idle bypass solenoid so that the oxygen sensor in the exhaust path indicates no unburned oxygen.

If you disconnect and reconnect the battery to go back to the factory approximation settings the I4 does not pass the WA idle emissions test. Drive it around for two days and the engine ECU "learns", deterministically, what pulse width modulation values to apply to the idle bypass solenoid under the engine various operating parameters, engine temperature, inlet air temperature, and absolute pressure.

I would guess that many more modern cars operate in the same way, all the tables and parameters for approximately correct operation are loaded at the factory and those parameters are then continuously updated, for fuel economy, low emissions, and driveability, as you drive. Obviously the battery disconnect/reconnect procedure would cause the system to reload the factory default approximations and then the learning process would begin all over again.

So, no question, "reset" the car's ECU's via disconnecting and reconnecting the battery and the drive "feel" of the vehicle will suddenly be different, at least for a few days ormiles.

But what about learning individual driver's driving styles??

Within0 seconds of having started the car and put it into motion the engine and/or transmissions ECU(s) will have preliminarily "mapped" your personal driving style. After three minutes the ECU's will have come to a "final" conclusion on where to place you within the various driving style parameters. As many as 10 driving style "modes" seem to be indicated by one of the European marques.

Thereafter the ECU's keep a "running" three minute history and if you suddenly become more aggressive or passive it will then remap you into another "style".

So the dealer mechanics and technicians statements are correct, resetting the ECUs WILL change the vehicles driving charactoristics, "feel". But with a fairly short period the ECUs will have learned the best parameters for the vehicle's operation.
  • mldj98mldj98 Posts: 378
    We were wondering what kind of gas mileage others are getting in their RX330's? We have a FWD 2004 RX330 and it seems as though we are only getting about 20-21 mpg on our most recent trip of about 275(road trip)highway miles . Does that sound about right?
    Thanks
  • wkozwkoz Posts: 4
    Picked up my new 2005 Lexus RX 330 FWD on Monday. Today (Thursday) drove it from Tucson to Phoenix round trip about 185 miles. Much to my surprise I got 26.3 miles per gal. I averaged about 65 to 73 miles an hour. The trip was about 97% highway driving, not much city stop and go mileage. This was the reading on my Nav trip info screen. I did not verify this yet by filling up the gas tank and calculating the mpg. Still it is very encouraging especially with gas prices now over $2.00 per gallon.
    The NAV has a display that really helps you to optimize your gas usage while driving. It has a horizontal bar graph that moves as you depress the gas pedal or let up on the accelerator. By keeping the bar graph to the right you improve your gas mileage. I don't know how it works on the new cars but in the old days it was a vacuum gage display.
    It will be interesting to see what kind of mileage I get in the future in city driving and after I get some more miles on the car. Only have about 388 miles on it now.
    The RX 330 was an absolute pleasure to drive on the highway, smooth and very quite. My previous car, that I traded in, was a 2002 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer In comparison it was hard riding and lots of road and engine noise.
  • johngreisjohngreis Posts: 69
    Went South for the month of February. Drove 1000 miles down and 1000 miles back - all on interstates with the cruise set at 72 mph. Put on another 1100 miles while there - of which about 90 percent was highway driving at about 55 mph. My mileage figured via the pencil method was 22.1 while the dash display read between 23.4 and 24.8 at fill up time.

This is with a RX330 - 2004 AWD which now has 15000 miles on it. Every day city driving averages between 17 and 18 mpg.
  • finch3finch3 Posts: 113
    The A/

The A/C filter is located in the glove box. The manual says to take out the two screws at either end. They look like thumb screws to me, but I couldn't budge them.

Does anyone know how to take them out? Do they turn and then come out?

Jim
  • esfesf Posts: 1,020
    We own a 2004 RX330, and the only options we didn't get were the large sunroof and the Rear DVD Entertainment System. We love our car, much more refined than our '99 RX300. We are soon looking forward to an RX400h, although that's off topic. We won't get rid of the RX330 for a couple of years before getting the hybrid, though. I saw it at the Chicago Auto Show, and was very intruiged. My wife would feel guilty if she didn't get a hybrid, but she loves the luxuries of the Lexus, so it all works out. On the other end of the spectrum, I own a brand new S4 Cabriolet, completely flawless, but a gas-guzzler like all German cars, particularly a performance one.
  • morey000morey000 Posts: 323
    Do any of you have experience with the AWD RX330's off road capability? I realize that it isn't a true 4X4, doesn't have a low range and locking differentials- but how well do all of the electronic controls make up for these deficiencies.

I don't need serious off-road capability- but I do haul my hang gliding equipment up some 4x4 roads. They're rocky and just a little bit steep sometimes. But nothing that serious, or requiring more than the 8" of ground clearance that the RX330 has- but certainly more than a 2WD vehicle could do. I suspect I'll need better tires.

Any thoughts and experiences with the 330?
    But in the circumstances you describe I wouldn't hesitate to take my AWD RX300, or even my daughter's MY2000 AWD Chrysler T&C. But I would pray for no rain while up that road.

• varx330varx330 Posts: 1
    Does anyone know of any after market running boards for the 330 other than the tube steps sold by Lexus?
  • barb0barb0 Posts: 2
    I've been driving various Lexus vehicles (LS, ES, RX) for over 12 years. In February 05, I traded my RX300 for an RX330. Like my previous vehicles I had chrome wheels installed. Since that installation, this car drives horrible. Concerned I was just being a nit-picky female, I had my husband drive the car for several days, he had the same impressions. At low speeds it drives sweet, like the Lexus I am accustom too. When you start to increase speeds this car shimmies and hits every bump in the road. The worst part is the drive shaft under the drivers seat. It bounces you around like a roller coaster. It is so rough that after driving for less than an hour your body feels as though it's come off a back-road experience. ....YES, I understand about Rims, High Performance Tires and Suspension, but this is a LEXUS and a $42,000 luxury suv should not drive this hard. I've test driven other vehicles less well known for their performance and have driven trucks that ride better than this Lexus. In less than 2 months I've had it in for service 3 times. In the last visit the Service Tech took a test drive in the vehicle with me and acknowledged exactly what I had been feeling. When it came time to pick up the car, Lexus service found nothing and gave me the usual lip service about the Tire, Rims and Suspension of the RX330. I'm confused, because when I read other reviews of this car, people praise it's performance at high speeds. I experience nothing but frustration and anxiety from the rough, painful ride. Does anyone have any comments or reassurance on this matter. I' m stuck in a 4 year lease. For the first time in 12 years I do not like my Lexus. I want is my old RX300 back.
    Barbara
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Posts: 1,289
    What size? What kind of chrome wheels? What kind of tires? What were stock on your RX330 when you bought it(size)?
    would be that you have the 18" wheels on your RX330, and possibly the 16" on your previous RX300. That would make a dramatic difference in ride "comfort".

You might want to be sure your tires are not over-inflated, and even running them a bit low might help your comfort level without undue assymetrical tread wear.

Additionally it seems to me that the springs on the RX330 are quite a bit stiffer than the ones on my RX300.
  • barb0barb0 Posts: 2
    RX 330 has Standad 18" Michelin Tires
    Installed Standard Lexus Aluminum Chromes
    Bought the car with 18" Alloys
    Did not notice change in driving till after Chromes installed.
    RX300 had 16" wheel base
    over-inflated tires with the chromes?