Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus RX 330

Comments

• sssstevessssteve Posts: 49
    Wouldn't you think the Service Techs would look at tire pressure? It would seem obvious - at least to me. Then again, I've had some issues with techs not doing things that were pretty elementary!
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    Well, first of all never expect a dealer to use an expensive technician for routine work.

But having said that I have noticed more than once as "techs" mounted tires that they substantially over-inflate them in order to properly seat the tire bead, screw the valve core in before much of the air escapes, and then leave it to the "gofer" actually mounting the wheel on the car to check for proper inflation.
  • herrierherrier Posts: 1
    Mine shows "AFS OFF" on the dash board, what should I do, is there a switch somewhere?
  • danldanl Posts: 6
    I just purchased an RX330, the sales mgr steered me away from 18" wheels. He said they field many complaints from owners about the ride quality, poor tire wear, and the tires become noisy as they wear to about 50% tread. It sounds like you give up quite a bit to have the "look" of the 18" wheels and pay more in the process. Why not ask your dealer to put a set of 17" wheels from one of the dealership loaners on your RX for a few days to see if that solves your problem, I can tell you a good lexus store would do it in a heartbeat to keep a good customer.
  • towintowin Posts: 2
    Your Adaptive Front Lighting System (the thing that turns your headlights on curves) is turned off. There is a small button just above the fuel door release. Push it to turn them back on.
  • r1_97r1_97 Posts: 181
    I doubt the advise of switching to 17" wheels. I'd estimate that a high percentage of new 330s come with 18" wheels because that's what customers want. We've had our 330 over a year and it rides great and no unusual wear on the tires. Check with other Lexus dealer service reps and see what they say.
    Sometimes, many times, customers have no idea that what they "want" is not the best overall, and maybe not even the best choice for their specific use. But it's the marketing and salespersons job to sell them what they "want", regardless of actual functionality or purpose.

18" wheels and low profile tires on an SUV is an absolutely perfect example. 18" wheels with low profile tires are the rage today only because they enhance the look and appearance of SUV's that are over-height to begin with.

Given an equal overall wheel/tire circumference 17" tires will have more flex and give than the 18" equivalent and thereby render a greater level of "comfort". Especially for those that use their SUV's for their intended purpose and not for out-cornering that Porsche C4.
  • r1_97r1_97 Posts: 181
    Are there records breaking down the number of 330s sold with 17" and 18" wheels?

I've noticed that "people" (in general -especially those reading these forums) are pretty much immune to car salesmen's telling them how to configure the car they want.

There's not much incentive for the salesman switching a buyer to a different size of wheels.

What do Lexus engineers think about driving comfort of 17" vs. 18" wheels?

My guess is that Lexus has giving thought to these issues and that a large majority of 330 are sold with 18" wheels because Lexus and its customers (myself included) believe that for their intended purpose they prefer the larger wheels.
    John Q public sees RX330 with 18" wheels, likes the look of it, goes to Lexus for a test drive....

On the other hand there is the Pontiac Aztek.

"looks" of the vehicle have a tremendous affect on sales volume.

And just how sure are you that 18" wheels and low profile tires are not less expensive for the factory to purchase than are 17"...?
  • aavoidaavoid Posts: 2
    Hello people, I am in the market for the 2005 RX330 and I have been studying the options available. Now there's just this problem about purchasing the option on the Airsuspension.

I would like to hear from you folks and share with me your knowledge about the obvious advantages of purchasing this option. Any kind of information regarding

the comfort factor being compromised/enhanced,

performance improvement(less body roll, flat cornering stance)

or in terms of problems be it be in terms of durability, expensive to repair, limited life span(must replace every x amount of miles)

would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for sharing.
  • morey000morey000 Posts: 323
    Due to the lack of response- I guess I need to assume that nobody has taken their RX330 off road... which, pretty much answers the question. I guess I'm kinda' crazy wanting to take a luxury car off road.

Thanks. Question answered by default.
    The RX just simply isn't built for, nor marketed to, the "sports" off-road set. Try the GX470 or LX470, those are truly capable of sports off-roading.
    We love the riding comfort of our 92 LS400 with air suspension. Were I to ever own an RX330 it would certainly have the air suspension.

But it likely is more about comfort than road-holding performance.
  • my3rdrxmy3rdrx Posts: 167
    I have a 2004 with the Performance Package and love my air suspension/sequential shifting combination. I can definitely tell the difference in handling with the various levels of air suspension, especially when I'm on a curvy road. The "Low" setting gives a much firmer ride and better handling. A fun thing to do when in slow traffic is to set it on "High" and see the looks on people's faces!

I've had this vehicle for 21 months now, with almost 25,000 miles, and have experienced no problem whatsoever (other than the inconvenience of having several of the TSBs done). Go for it!!!
  • aavoidaavoid Posts: 2
    Thanks wwest and my3rdrx. Wow 3rdrx?? You must really love your car to buy own 3 of it. :D

Anyway, is it true about the Air suspension needing replacement of the gas charged shocks every 50k miles and that it is easily breakable? Maybe wwest with his 92 LS has experienced of maintaining his air suspension LS?

Thanks guys for your replies.
    there are two 92 LS400's in my family both with air suspension, both at or over 100k miles, and neither have EVER had any problems with it.
  • my3rdrxmy3rdrx Posts: 167
    "Wow 3rdrx?? You must really love your car to buy own 3 of it. :D"

Yeah! I also had a '99 and '01. I'm sure my next one will be the 400h!
  • legendmanlegendman Posts: 362
    What are the general impressions of how the 2005 RX 330 drives? I have driven a 1999 RX and 2003 RX 300 by way of comparison. The 2005 RX seems a little "looser" up front; not as taut and connected as the older models.

Will an AWD give better cornering on dry pavement or will it only "shine" during inclement weather? Also, should one believe Lexus' claims of only one (1) mile per gallon difference penalty when comparing AWD fuel economy to FWD?

Do tires makes much difference in handling characteristics? My folks have Michelin Cross Terrains on their 1999 RX and they made a huge improvement over the former Goodyear Integrity rubber.

Any thoughts from current owners or recent test drivers would be appreciated.
    RWD, or rear torque biased AWD, will always give better, safer, cornering ability under acceleration, certainly so under heavy acceleration.

On the other hand, FWD, or front biased AWD, such as the RX, HL, Pilot, MDX, etc, can be a bit dicey when turning under acceleration, and blatantly UNSAFE under heavy acceleration.

Simultaneously applying engine drive torque and high lateral loads to just the one set of front tire contact patches can get you in BIG trouble in a BIG hurry. It's much better, for overall vehicle controlability and much more benign handling, to allocate engine drive torque to a separate set of contact patches than the ones loaded with lateral forces.

The 4runner, the BMW X3 & X5, are just a few of the rear torque biased, more safe, AWD systems currently in the market.
    Personally I perfer to run quieter and more comfortable summer tires on all my vehicles and then use snowchains anytime the need for more traction arises.
  • legendmanlegendman Posts: 362
    I have decided to buy the 2005 RX330, but have not yet decided whether to go AWD or FWD.

While at present I live in Southern California, where FWD is fine, I may be transfered to a different climate; which one I am not sure, but it might possibly have snow or more rain than we have here in the land of sunshine.

When I talk to service managers at various dealerships I get very different input. Some say FWD is fine for most anything, and the limited slip differential and the weight of the engine over the front wheels is more than enough for daily driving, even in a climate like Chicago. I drove a front wheel drive Legend there for a few years and with winter tires never had a problem.

Others tell me that the AWD is of course sure footed in rain, and better in snow, but that there are other tangible differences. More torque from a dead stop, better cornering when driving on curves or curvy hilled roads -- which we have a lot of here in Southern California.

I am also told that the gas mileage penalty is 1 to 1 1/2 mpg more for the AWD.

Any timely input or suggestions would be appreciated.
  • buckeye1buckeye1 Posts: 41
    Legendman: I bot new '05 RX330, FWD, 18" wheels in Oct '04 from Mission Viejo Lexus. 5K miles on odo now. Since I don't plan on off-road, didn't consider AWD. As configured, imho, FWD is more than adequate. I really like 18" wheels...regular, not lo-pro. Drove to Seattle R/T: lots of rain in N.Cal, Ore., and Washington and never felt safety was a problem. Haven't yet driven in snow or on ice. Inherently, my RX has higher center of gravity than my Toyota Avalon sedan...merely a matter of physics based upon each vehicle's profile. Front wheel drive also makes RX handle slightly different than Avalon, e.g., slight understeer in RX. Not enough to really comment about.

If you believe you might move RX to snow/ice climate, or you plan to off-road, perhaps AWD is best option for you?
    the avalon also FWD?

Personally I would always op for the AWD version of the RX. But before you actually purchase I would do some serious research into the engine hesitation issue.
  • adamhoadamho Posts: 32
    Wow there is a lot of knowlege here. I have already bought one lexus RX330 back in February of "04. I love it and now my wife wants one. I paid 42,200+ tax etc. @5%apr for it. It is AWD and has the navagation package. I'm about to buy another one for my wife.

I called my salesman and asked him about FWD and he said they don't even sell the FWD because of the area we live in (Maryland) so I'm being forced to get a AWD. MSRP on it is $45,083.00. He said he could sell it to me for $41,500 @ 4.25%. Is this a good price? What are others paying right now out there? Does anyone know invoice on this vehicle? How much over invoice should I pay? I understand its different everywhere you go but I'm just trying to get an average.

Also should I force the issue with the FWD? I really just don't see the point of the AWD especially since I will be moving to an area that doesnt have snow/bad weather (Dallas)
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,110
    Check out the Lexus RX 330: Prices Paid & Buying Experience discussion for pricing info.

tidester, host
    Airline tickets are cheaper than paying the premium for AWD that you don't need.

But tell the local dealer what you plan to do first....
  • buckeye1buckeye1 Posts: 41
    I have not experienced any type of "hesitation" w/my new '05 RX330. The 5-speed tranny has a short 1st which gets things going quickly if you like that sort of thing. My '96 FWD Avalon,(4-speed tranny), is one fine automobile, but this Lexus is another step up. Normal advances over the years accounts for the difference, and, essentially, the RX is a different profile than the sedan...sits different, drives different. Very enjoyable suv.
  • Does anyone have experience with those aerodynamic cargo boxes that bolt onto the roof rack (Thule). Can you use those with the RX?

I'm thinking if the 84 cu ft of cargo cap shrinks to only 35 if you have people in the back seat. There will likely be a need to put stuff on the outside for camping trip to the mountains or long road trip.

what say ye?
  • btill1btill1 Posts: 69
    I have the Thule Evolution 1600 it works fine, it maybe a liitle long but all in all no problems.
  • adamhoadamho Posts: 32
    The new navigation does include elevation & altitude information. I just test drove an 05' and noticed it on the navigation.