Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus RX 330

Comments

• gteach26gteach26 Posts: 576
    This sequel seems like most others at the movieplex.. interesting and exciting -- yes; but mostly rehashed stuff from the original.
  • jimxojimxo Posts: 423
    If you did not know Lexus has it's own driving school. If you have never been to a professional driving school this is a great place to start. The best thing is for $395.00 you get a full day of driving, great instructors and of course drive Lexus cars.

I just completed the class on Aug 9,2003 in Wisconsin and the only word to sum it up is FUN.

http://www.lexusdrivingschool.com
  • cotmccotmc Posts: 1,081
    I think it is not a correct statement to say, "there is no way to disable the compressor on the RX330 short of hard wiring in some sort of in-line switch." Maybe we need to debate on what is meant by "disable"? Maybe we need a Bill Clinton definition??

My interpretation is that we can turn off the compressor via the A/C Button -- much more simply than modifying the wiring. The caveat is that this button may need to be pushed each time we start the car, if we want to turn off the compressor. To me, no big deal. Another caveat is that the compressor is automatically engaged if you hit the Defog control button. As Jeff mentioned, you can avoid the defog button by setting airflow direction to the windshield and manually adjusting the fan speed.

My wife and I have owned nearly a dozen different automobiles with auto climate control. None of them automatically engaged or disengaged the compressor based on differences in inside/outside air temperature. I guess I am one of the "buying public" who doesn't see a significant problem.
  • tomjavatomjava Posts: 136
    Finally pulled the trigger after test drove ML, MDX, X5, XC90, and GX470. IMO, RX330 is the best of all in terms of luxury, comfort, and performance.

We drove 400 miles from Oxnard to San Francisco without any doubt this is the best long cruiser vehicle I've ever driven after my 1989 MB W124 (300E).
  • mb280mb280 Posts: 27
    I don't mind leaving the compressor going most of the time, but I am finding that the automatic temperature control may not accurately reflect the temperature.

In my previous climate control cars (MB280 and Ford Taurus) I would set the interior temperature between 68 and 70 and generally be comfortable during the day time regardless of outside temperature. With the RX330 system, I find that I need to set it between 76 and 80 to get the same level of comfort.

Does anyone else have the same problem.
  • bmwbob27bmwbob27 Posts: 35
    MB280: That is the problem that I have been complaing about all along.
  • mb280mb280 Posts: 27
    bmwbob27: No doubt that the interior of the RX is more luxurious than the MB or BMW. I think they take care of the little things better, too. But the climate control and the way it seems to wander a little bit on the highway makes me think I'll be putting a lot more mileage on my 280 except when there is snow or I need the storage. Maybe I'll keep the mileage low enough for a good trade on the ML when they come out with their first revision.
    After about 10 spellings of the word temperature I finally realized my "brain Fade" on the correct spelling. Sorry for the ignorance.
    jjefmust2: Shame on you. You don't understand that we all want to hear about a 1992 LS400 and all of the master mechanical wizardry about pressure switches and added interior fans. Don't you realize that everyone on this posting is concerned about the model that we clicked on to get into this message board. Remember it was RX330. There are a couple of posters here that are trying to outdo each other and trying to impress us . They are boring. Get with the program. We don't care about you guys and your "dueling wrenches" to see who can try and impress us. Most of us don't even know how to open the hood of a RX 330 and don't care to learn. Some of us do know what end of a "Snap-ON" to pick up as those guys do also. But, go away and stay on topic. You win. We're impressed. Get a life. What we are attempting to resolve is the disastrous climate control system on the new RX330. Not what you did on a '92 Lexus that's probably "Wrecker Bait". Every time he drives past a tow truck the trucks lights start flashing!!!
    Back on topic. Does anyone have the E-mail address or phone number for Lexus Complaint Department? I'm tired in getting the run around at the dealerships with; bring it in and we'll make some fine tuning adjustments but the AC will stay on. If I push the AC button off, then there is no AC. I want to be able to set the temperature at 72 degrees with the auto on and the AC on and just drive the vehicle. When it's warmer than 72 then the AC comes on. Cooler, then the heater warms the cabin up!!! Why doesn't it do this. Look at American built "junk" (Escalade, Navigator, or even other European SUV's) They all work the way they are advertised. Not this 330.
    Hey jjeff2, I'll probably get my butt busted too.
  • I find that it is a lot easier to just manually input the type of HVAC I want. Sometimes automation just doesn't work correctly. I do enjoy the round knobs on my Mazda Tribute, no frills and work perfectly.

I have asked previously if anyone is having trouble with rock chips on the front (Bamboo Pearl). I have 5 and my RX has 5500 miles on it. I have never had this happen on any vehicle I've owned before. The RX is not my daily driver and has been professionally waxed. Any takers??

One more thing. The passenger seat belt buckle is driving me crazy hitting the side of the pillar. Any suggestions to fix this. It will not stay up and will only go so far down. I thought about a cloth, girls pony tail holder, but would that look ridiculous on a near 50k automobile?

My Lexus dealer is having a hard time keeping up with servicing owner's cars. 3 wk wait to get in!!

Ray
  • borg1of2borg1of2 Posts: 73
    As an RX 300 owner I have not had a problem with using the Auto mode, setting it at 72 and letting it go. The AC seems to run the same, always, its just the fan speed increases or decreases depending on car temperature. Is that what's happening in the 330?

I do agree that in the winter using Auto will turn on the AC and the heater, so I turn off the AC.

All of this is kind of weird, but its something I guess I adjusted too. I am looking at getting a 330 next January, so I am curious if this is the same or if it is changed in the new model.
  • tomjavatomjava Posts: 136
    Install Clear-bra to prevent rock chips.
  • I have only had my RX330 for 3 days and I have already noticed the goofy climate control. It works find during these summer days, but at night I have to push the temperature up to about 80 to keep cold air from blowing on me. For the record, my Acura MDX does not require such fiddling. (Nor did my previous MDX or 1995 Nissan Maxima.) I haven't read all the posts about the technical reason for this AC issue and proposed solution, just reporting another incident of overchilled body parts. Perhaps some smaller-sized undergarments are in order.
    I have noticed a few other quirks with the vehicle as delivered relating to the door locks, navigation and DVD entertainment. As a whole, though, the RX330 is excellent and to be recommended.
  • alex0615alex0615 Posts: 13
    Can you share your experience RX330 vs MDX. I am trying to choose one. Thank you.
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    What would happen if you switch off the A/C? Would the interior be then prone to fogging up as others have reported?
  • As soon as I looked at athe noses of the RX330 and LS 430 my wife and I just bought, I figured somebody must make a protection system. I checked out X-pel (www.xpel.com) with my Lexus dealer and discovered they had just signed a contract with the local X-pel installer to provide it as a dealer-installed option. Its a bit expensive ($600 installed--covers lights,bumper and hood frontal area, plus the backs of the outside mirrors) but it is all but invisible (uses 3M thick-gauge vinyl). Also auto-carwash proof. Best of all, it really works. My LS took a hit from a rock thrown by a riding lawn mower with no damage. Even better, my dear wife drove her 330 into our garage and grazed my red Craftsman tool box. Left a red streak on her bumper. I wiped it off with Windex and there was no damage at all. I can't say as much for my toolbox! I figure the X-pel has already paid for itself.
    Bodble2: No, the interior doesn't fog up. Maybe in the winter with the dew point close and a couple of wet dogs and children inside it may. But if you turn off the AC it'll be just fine. What the RX330 has is a "Climate Control" system that must be used as a manual, standard system. It's just like my work vehicle, a 2001 Taurus sedan made Ford. An American "junk" car company. The only difference in the 2 vehicles is that the Taurus' heating/cooling system works better!!! Go figure????
  • alex0615alex0615 Posts: 13
    Anyone owned RX330 with performance package? Can you share your experience with air suspension?
    Did you read post #1216? I listed a couple considerations there. I may be able to answer some specific questions you have on the RX330 vs MDX front. One thing to consider is whether the additional space and 3rd row is a concern to you. Consider the RX330, especially in FWD form, gets much better gas mileage than the MDX. I was actively involved with some MDX discussions, and rarely did anyone's posted mileage deviate from the lowest end of its EPA spectrum (at 17mpg). And with the MDX, premium fuel is required. I made that discovery first-hand when our engine started running a bit rough (when cold) after a few tanks of 89 octane.

Safety is an additional factor for considering the RX330, as the MDX does not yet have head-protection curtain airbags. That seems to be quite an oversight for a 2003 premium SUV! Meanwhile, the RX now has 7 airbags. Also, Consumer Reports just recently reported that the MDX's stability control system does not intervene as effectively as the system in the RX330.

I had previously favored the MDX over the RX300, but now I favor the RX330. I think Lexus did a terrific job of redesiging this model while adding some desirable features.
  • tnguy1tnguy1 Posts: 20
    check out the current issue (September 03) of Consumer Reports for comparison of the RX330, MDX, XC90, X5 and FX35.
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    But, if I recall correctly, didn't you say, when you first posted on this issue, that 2 different Lexus service managers told you to keep the A/C on to prevent the interior from fogging up, and just dial up the temperature to mix in warm air with the cold air?
  • wco81wco81 Posts: 495
    Of the luxury SUVs?
    and read posts #1237 and #1239 for some Consumer Reports comparison information. There were 6 luxury SUVs compared, and this was the order they finished:

RX330
    MDX
    FX35
    X5 3.0
    XC90 T6
    VW Touareg V6

The RX330 is now CR's top-ranked recommended SUV. Even though the VW finished at the bottom, it still received an overall grade of "very good".

A couple additional notes not previously posted:
    If I remember correctly, the Touareg's 0-60 time was 11.9 seconds! (The Touareg review details are available only online.) Also, the XC90 required 9.4 seconds for 0-60 -- this was with the upgraded 268hp turbo six! (Reportedly, some of this was due to a lag between 1st and 2nd gears with the XC90's 4-speed tranny.)

Consumer Reports' acceleration tests typically come out anywhere from 0.3 to 1.0 seconds slower than the auto magazines and manufacturers' specifications.
    Your correct. They, (Lexus) want you to keep the AC on to cover their butts pertaining to the fogging up the interior law suit and problem they had several years ago. I can only presume that there was a law suit after reading the previous posts from the guy with a 92' LS400. I turn the AC off and on as I need it. As stated previosly, This system is nothing more than a standard manualy operated "Climate Control" system.
  • jeffmust2jeffmust2 Posts: 811
    hundreds of times each year. The plaintiff with the '92 LS400 and his HVAC complaint lost in court - so I seriously doubt that Lexus is shaking in their corporate boots over it.

In fact, I'd be willing to bet that Town Hall is the Only Place on Earth where that particular civil action ever gets mentioned. Wait - the losing plaintiff mentions it on all the other Lexus topic boards he frequents. Of course, he usually gets booed off those islands but that's a different subject.
    Good summation on my thought about the law suit.I don't see anything from him on this board recently. Can't wait!!! I still don't want to keep the A/C on all the time. It takes forever to get any heat when mixed in with cold air. When I want to get warm air I have to use the recirculation button on and the A/C off and turn up the temperature to over 78!!! This isn't a "good thing". The system sucks.
  • mgabel2mgabel2 Posts: 37
    I'm thinking of jumping from the 2004 Highlander to a base model RX 330 (with the roof rack and towing option). I was told it would be a 4 month wait and was quoted "around" 35K. Any advice here? Thanks.
  • jeffmust2jeffmust2 Posts: 811
    mgabel -you might try JM Lexus in Florida; they're the country's largest dealer, have the largest inventory of RX330s, someone posted a while back that they even had some some base RX330 models with cloth seats available, and I'm sure they would ship to your city. As for pricing, you won't get a major discount bec there's less profit in just the base vehicle but I would expect 3-5% or $1000-1500 off msrp; there's about $4k profit at sticker. Good luck and let us know how you do!

bob - I gotta tell you, I'm taking delivery of my 4th Lexus tomorrow, a RX330 FWD Nav Prem+, and I expect that it's HVAC system will work like the other three..i.e., no problems....

For cooling, we usually set the Auto control to the mid-70s...if the fan blower kicks into high speed for too long, it's an indication that the system thinks the cabin air is quite a bit warmer than the control system is set for...if we agree, we leave it alone for a while. If we think the temp is about right, we increase the auto temp setting a degeee or two until we hear the fan noise decrease. At this point, we leave the system alone and it takes over.

For heat, we just increase the temp control with or without the A/C button depressed depending if any windows are open and how high the humidity reading. If there's some inside fog on the windshield, I would direct the air up thru those vents, A/C on, recirc on, fan at high to med speed. Bye bye fogging.

Worked in all three previous Lexii so I assume it will work on the RX330.

Wife looking forward to dual controls - and so am I! Talk about polar opposities...have to learn to check for that on the next wife before I sign the paperwork...!

LOL honey...honest...
    Good info. I'm on it. Thanks for the lead.
    Jeffmust2: I'm looking forward to your letting me know about the heat/cool system after you give it a go tomorrow!! I believe that the 330 has an "improved" system compared to the 300. I'm not sure as this is my first( maybe last) Lexus and have no experience with them. I am only aware of Lexus' great reputation.
    Good info. I'm on it. Thanks for the lead.