Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus RX 330

Comments

• The Acura MDX navigation voice recognition works if the car is not quiet - on the freeway for example. But it won't always work WELL, even if the car is quiet. I think the technology isn't where it needs to be - not the kind of refinement you would expect from Acura, or Lexus for that matter. But if you speak clearly and articulate well, it almost always understands you. I had a 2001 MDX prior to my 2003. The nav system was almost identical-except for the voice feature. I really don't think the voice feature is that big of a deal. What is a big deal are the other problems with the Lexus nav. For example, I would buy an RX 330 right now if it had an Acura navigation system WITHOUT voice control. But not letting the passenger be the navigator - something we do frequently in the interest of safety - is to big of a negative for us.
    On balance though, the RX 330 offers many advantages over the MDX, so the RX is still a great (just as good as the MDX if not better) vehicle.
  • bmwbob27bmwbob27 Posts: 35
    Bodble2:
    Yes, I have found the same displeasure with the power. It's like stepping on a sponge with little response. I also have a BMW which is much more responsive even though it's 185 hp verses 230. I stated previously the difference in the weight of the 2 vehicles. I find that if you "tap" the transmission selector to the left, which takes it out of 5th gear (overdrive), the power response is much better.
    I lowered the tire pressure from 36lbs to the recommended 30lbs. It did make a noticeable improvement in the ride even with the 18 inch wheels and tires.
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    You mean from a standing start, or during passing maneuvers?
  • ctk1ctk1 Posts: 79
    but still, the degree of response start from standing is far "slower" than the X5. The up and down shift during maneuvers is also less response compare to the bmw. I still like to drive my 1986/325IS with stick shift and the 2001/X5 3.0i sport package with steptronic transmission. My wife and kid prefer the rx330.
  • Quick question about the 330 NAV.

Does anyone know if you have the capability to have it search for let's say the closest restaurant or ATM, like you can do with the MDX?
  • lenscaplenscap Posts: 854
    I would totally disagree that the Acura nav system is better than Lexus. I have a 2002 ES 300 with nav and my brother has a 2002 Acura CL-S with nav. Even he feels the Lexus system is better by a slim margin. One especially nice feature of the Lexus nav is offering three alternate routes to get to a destination, something the Acura does not offer (at least his car/year doesn't).

The Lexus also seems to have superior clarity and colors and quicker "thinking" time. Of course, this is just my opinion.

Supposedly the 2004 LS 430 will have the next-generation Lexus nav system.
  • lenscap:
    The Acura Navigation system provides Easy Route and Direct Route functions. I leave mine on Direct Route which calculates the most direct route to the destination. Pressing Easy Route recalculates the route (making it easier to follow) at the expense of time/miles.
    Again, it isn't just the consensus that feels Acura's navigation system is better than Lexus's. A leading consumer magazine and the leading computer technology publisher came to the same conclusion. Having said that, it is still possible that some will prefer the Lexus over the Acura.
  • clburtonclburton Posts: 14
    I don't know for sure if ATM is included in this, but you can mark restaurants or gas stations or any number of things and it puts little flags (different flags for different kinds of restaurants) all over your map. If you press one of the flags, it gives the name, address, ... of the restaurant
    There's only a 5 hp difference between the RX330 and the 3.0 in the X5 -- 230 v. 225.

But is the RX really that lethargic?
  • alanekalanek Posts: 21
    Guyacaron, The nav in the RX330 gives you 2 options.
    1-You can show icons on the screen for many different POI's(points of interest)ATM's being one of them. Change the scale to increase the search area.
    2-On the POI screen there is a button that will show you all of the POI's you select by either distance or name.(To use this feature you have to be stopped.)
  • tomjavatomjava Posts: 136
    You may feel slower in RX330 due to minimal wind noise.

0-60mph in 7.8 second according to Car & Driver July issue.
  • Good point tomjava. I don't think the RX is really that slow or sluggish.

Lexus claims 0-60 in 7.7s (FWD) / 7.8s (AWD)
    BMW (X5 3.0) claims 0-60 in 8.6s
    MB (ML350) claims 0-60 in 8.5s
    Acura MDX (per Edmunds) 0-60 in 8.1s

My RX330 definitely feels quicker than our '01 ML320.
  • knockknock Posts: 10
    Except for the engine noise, the acceleration of the new RX is very good. Normally the DOHC engine is weak at low RMP but the new 3.3l V6 delievers max torque at 3600rmp which matchs MDX and X5's 3500rmp. But note MDX has a SOHC V6 and X5 uses an inline V6. They are supposed to be stronger at lower rmp at the cost of MPG numbers. So I think Lexus did a great job the lower the peak torque RMP from about 4500(??not that sure) to 3600 while still taking the advantage of better MPG.
    The ML350 does 0-60 in 8.5? The ML320 took over 10 sec. or close to 10. I'm surprised the ML350 has that much of an improvement.
  • wco81wco81 Posts: 495
    Will it be helped by those electrical motors?

Would the electical motors and the gas-engine be powering the car at the same time or does it start with electric at low speeds and then the gas takes over at a certain point?

Lexus is promising V-8 power with higher gas mileage than V-6. Seems too good to be true.

Also, does the fact that all four wheels are powered by the electrical motors result in a better AWD performance than the current system?
  • serenoaserenoa Posts: 21
    I have a 2000 RX300. I have driven the RX330 twice and feel that there is more road noise than mine when driving over my beaten tracks in spite of what I have read in the reviews. I am thinking it may be due to the 18" wheels which are on all RX330's received by my dealer. Therefore, you can't even test drive the standard 17" wheels to see if that is the problem. I am told that it takes a special order to get the standard wheels, which sounds fishy to me. I am in FL. Does anyone have any knowlwdge of this situation?
  • For an excellent primer on hybrid cars, go to
    www.howstuffworks.com and do a search on their site for their article on "how hybrid cars work". The animated descriptions of both the Toyota Prius and the Honda Insight systems are very informative. The power split planetary gear set on the Prius is an amazing piece of engineering. Does anyone know if this is the system Lexus will use?
    Reading the article should clear up some misconceptions sometimes voiced about hybrids and answer some questions posed on this board.
    The 18" wheel/tire option comes with wider tires, so I suppose it does make sense that it would generate more road noise just by that fact alone.
  • scaredmbscaredmb Posts: 11
    Checked my '01 ML320 specs...... 0-60 in 9.0s. Not sure where you get 10+s?
    ML320, 0-60 in 10.3 sec.