Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Cold Engine Ping

2»

Comments

• nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    the engine was always a little noisy - you could hear the valvetrain all the time - although nothing that sounded like pinging.

However, when I was asking the dealer about routine maintenance for this car, they told me they recommended valve clearance adjustment at specified intervals, 60K.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• dq1dq1 Posts: 44
    I'm really bummed to hear your dealer recommends a valve clearance adjustment everyone 60k miles. Does your dealer charge $800 for the service? Maybe my dealer is just way out of the ballpark, but if I'd known the valves had a service interval of 60k miles and it cost this much, I never would have bougt a celica :(

Sgrd0q, thanks for the link. I'll try some good injector cleaner and keep my fingers crossed.
  • nippononlynippononly SF Bay AreaPosts: 12,669
    I never asked the price, because I figured by the time 60K was travelled, the price would have changed anyway.

I figured the fact that it would require periodic maintenance meant it did NOT have hydraulic lifters. However, my old celica had mechanical valves too, with the 60K "recommended" adjustment interval, and I did them once at 120K. You can usually tell if they need adjustment by the sound.

2013 Civic SI, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (stick)

• MrShift@EdmundsMrShift@Edmunds Posts: 43,636
    Not really, although your idea does speak to logic.

In fact, valves will burn when the valve clearance is too tight, so you wouldn't hear that.

A light tapping is probably harmless. Quiet valves, if they are mechanical, could mean trouble. Odd but true.

Beware the whisper quiet engine if you have mechanical lifters.
  • sgrd0qsgrd0q Posts: 398
    Mr_Shiftright HOST - What is you opinion on using an injector cleaner?

The link that I posted earlier in this thread talks about the guy using a Slick-50 Fuel System Cleaner. Apparently he had a similar noise (under similar conditions) that we are experiencing, and in his case the noise disappeared. He seems to think that some component of the fuel system might have been dirty.

I personally never trusted those "additives". But now I am curious...
    I've used them but not for injector "noise". I don't have much personal experience with treating injector noise with a cleaner. I did have good luck clearing up one balky injector using a very vicious professional cleaner.

My impression is that noisy injectors are not "curable"---injectors have a service life and then you replace them if they start making too much of a racket. It's natural wear not really a defect per se.

But I won't disagree that some injectors are noisier than others, from make to make.
  • jsleesijsleesi Posts: 33
    I have 99 Toyota Corolla CE had same noise when the car had about 35000 miles. I even took car to
    local dealer for the noise. They checked and they told me most all the engine do make valve chatter when oil is not present top of the engine valve.
    One of my friend who has Toyota told me he had same problem but after using Rislone treatment in oil the noise stoped. I also tried and about 500 miles the noise down about 50 % and now I have 12500 miles the noise is completely gone. Also I feel I have better compression and more horse power and engine runs more smooth.

Thanks for all the good recommendations about the
    Toyota engine, It is a good discussion board.

jsleesi
    jsleesi - 35000 to 12500 miles, this is a lot of driving in reverse! :)

How long did your valve chatter last? With us the noise persists for up to ten minutes. (Which makes me think that we have a different problem.)
  • jsleesijsleesi Posts: 33
    Mr. Sgrd0q,

My chatter lasted about 2 to 3 minutes, as I drive it goes away, as I have mention to you,
    I don't have any more.
    I feel the Rislone cleaned inside oil small oil passage to top of the valve.
    If you purchase the Rislone, all the instruction
    is on battle. I even called the Rislone tech support, they giave me good solid answers.

Good luck to you,

jsleesi
  • I am having the exact same problem with my 01 Rav4....only under load when cold....gone when warm....started this past winter....tried everything....got a little quieter at last oil change....not too bad right now using 93 octane gas...but I still hear it.....Rav4 also has timing chain....I am in Florida.....wonder if we're getting ripped off on the gas.....strange that we are seeing this problem in different engines and models of cars........
    You might try switching the synthetic oil if you are getting a little valve noise when cold. I really don't think a little valve tapping when cold is anything to worry about as long as it goes away or diminishes when warm. Like I said, it's the valves you DON'T hear that you often have to worry about.

Of course, if your camshaft is being hammered, this is something serious, but you'd hear a very sharp and constant noise in that case, a lot more than a soft light tapping.
    The synthetic oil advice is good, but may not solve the problem. I've always used Mobil 1 synthetic, and I get the noise (2001 Maxima.)

I agree with Mr Shiftright - as long as the noise disappears (it does in my case) once the engine has warmed up - this shouldn't really be much of a concern. Still puzzling though. I'll try an injector cleaner fuel additive next.
  • dq1dq1 Posts: 44
    I got my '01 Celica back from the dealership today with the Southeast Toyota Dealer having spent time trying to diagnose my problem. Toyota's bottom line is that this is pre-ignition spark knock. Cold engine temp is the major factor in determining how loud the noise is. Once the computer detects the problem, it compensates the timing to get rid of the problem. No one could answer the question "Why hasn't this occurred during the past two winters?" I think the service manager through me a bone by saying maybe the plugs needed to be changed. I pointed out that these are iridium plugs that his parts manager said should be good for 120k miles. Then he agreed to replace them under warranty.

I can't believe these new plugs cost $17 each!!! This new technology is such an improvement, lol. I'll post again after a few days with an update on whether or not this helped.

Also, totally off topic, I called Goodyear tire today to see how their prices compared to Tirerack.com, and the manager agreed to give me Tire Rack's price plus shipping. Not bad, but just goes to show that tire shops can be negotiated with on price if your educated on their competitors.
2»
This discussion has been closed.