Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Liberty Diesel

Comments

• caribou1caribou1 Posts: 1,351
    Zachinmi,
    For choosing the proper tires I think different situations call for different choices:
    - sharp rocks => an overall tougher tire construction,
    - rocky inclines => a harder and longer lasting rubber,
    - mud => an 'open groove' for easy evacuation,
    - sand => larger footprints to distribute the weight,
    - snow => high inflation pressure and thin tires,
    - ice => soft rubber and thin deep grooves or spikes,
    - grass => lateral grip, typically like the BFG T/A,
    - against perforation => higher load index,
    - rain => soft rubber with deep and wide grooves,
    - perfect dry road => slicks :shades:

My original tires were different from the ones you get. They were called Goodyear Wrangler S4.
    I found them OK for:
    - snow, ice, rain and sand,
    acceptable for:
    - perfect dry road (they melted in one day at 85 mph!)
    miserable for:
    - perforation, rocks, mud, grass,
    dangerous for:
    - rocky inclines.

To compare with my actual BFG T/A, I would say:
    they are OK for:
    - sharp rocks, rocky inclines, perforation, perfect dry road ,
    acceptable for:
    - mud, sand, snow, grass,
    miserable for:
    - rain,
    dangerous for:
    - ice.

I have the impression I just described the S4 as a perfect all-year city tire :sick:
  • ucanfarmucanfarm Posts: 33
    Recently changed my fuel filter. Never seem to get the air out of the fuel filter so changed the Heater / water separator housing assembly. Listen to this. Primed the new filter assembly with clean fuel and started it. Unplugged the line coming from the tank and got ZERO fuel pressure :confuse: . The truck has been running on a vacuum pump system. Any body else have similar problems? Taking it to the dealer as soon as I get the truck cleaned up from the miscellaneous items that collect in the jeep.
  • nescosmonescosmo Posts: 453
    That is the way it work there is nothing wrong.

Nescosmo.
    The solenoid is grounded or open, check it out...

Nescosmo...
  • winter2winter2 Posts: 1,801
    I changed the fuel filter in my CRD about two weeks ago. Took about forty-five minutes. Once reassembled., I primed the filter using the pump on top of the filter holder. I started my CRD, checked for leaks and it has been fine. No air in the system either. How many times did you pump the pump? Also, did you allow the pump to move it's full length and did you pump slowly when priming the new filter?

The old filter was pretty dirty. Did not find any water or sludge in the fuel when I pulled the water sensor from the bottom of the filter. The sensor was also clean.
  • arvmanarvman Posts: 95
    Did you get the filter from the dealer?The mopar part here is 255 dollars.Is there an aftermarket filter available cheaper?Thanks,arvman...
  • goodcrdgoodcrd Posts: 253
    A replacement fuel filter is available through WIX. Any parts store that carries Wix filters can get them. I just got one for $30. It was an exact replacement. The dealer wants almost $50.
  • mdamickmdamick Posts: 277
    Could you please post the part#?
    This is the first I have heard that an aftermarket fuel filter is available.
  • goodcrdgoodcrd Posts: 253
    Got my filter at NAPA for $29.99 plus tax. It is a rebadged WIX filter 3674. Dealer wanted about $50 for the filter and over $200 for the water separater.
  • mdamickmdamick Posts: 277
    It is a complete assembly. I paid around $84 from the dealer but the cost has come down.
    Your dealer is really trying to take you to the cleaners.
  • saiteksaitek Posts: 2
    I am new to this forum, but I could use a little advise. My 2006 CRD runs 30 secs, then quits and won't start.I believe it was winter1 who had a similer problem, but I could not find the post that says what he did to fix it. Also is there a method to retieve codes from a 2006 model on the odometer? Tried on/off three times - nothing. Had it towed to dealer - useless.
  • mrmag00mrmag00 Posts: 16
    We had the f-37 recall done and the dealer had a real time
    of it. Long and short they got it going.. However, about
    two weeks later my wife used her key to start the vehicle
    and it ran 30 sec and wouldn't start after that. Towed it
    to the dealer and they accused me of having another key
    cut which didn't have the security code. Told them I hadn't had one cut and it was my wife's key. They had
    to reprogram her key into the system too. So a word to
    all check that both keys work when a reprogram is done.
    Hope this helped.... Brian
  • At 58,000 miles I just replaced the original Goodyear ST's. I rotated them every 6000 miles and have the 5 year unlimited alignment contract with Tire Kingdom/NTB so they did an alignment at every tire rotation.

I replaced the Goodyear 225/75-16 ST's with Goodyear 245/70-16 Fortera TripleTred's. I do a lot of highway driving, and was able to try them out in a severe thunderstorm the day I had them put on...they handled the severe rainstorm great and make the CRD feel and drive like a brand new vehicle. Living in the snowbelt of Pa., I am sure they will come in handy this winter.

http://www.goodyearfortera.com/tripletred/index.html
    Saitek,

Welcome to the forum.

To retrieve the codes, you need to turn the ignition off-on four times. Sometimes it takes several seconds for codes to appear on the odometer.

As to the problem you mention, I had to have a software update at 683 miles that corrected a drivability issue. Recently I had a load of bad fuel that caused my CRD not to run at all, code 1093, I think.

Sounds like you have a fuel flow restriction or else there is some air in the injection system. Try pumping the priming pump twenty times slowly making sure the piston makes full excursion each time. If you have any air in the system, this will push it out. Make sure all of the fuel system clamps are snug too.
  • zachinmizachinmi Posts: 228
    Diesel Farmer, I think you got more miles out of the stock tires than anyone else. Congrats! Mine are at 31,500 and I expect to be replacing them before 35,000. I don't consider myself hard on tires, and I usually get lengthy tread wear out of tires. (For instance, on the 2001 Honda Accord I used to own, the tires were still just fine - enough tread above the legal requirement to not raise any worries - at 60,000 miles when I traded the car.)

You probably also have more miles on a CRD than most of us. Any comments on how it's been running, especially after you passed the 36,000 mile warranty eclipse?
    Zachinmi, I have to correct my opinion about the BFG T/A:
    - I put 42,000 miles on them and there is a bit over 1/4" thread left. This is nice for mileage.

Yesterday I rotated them and found that a large fastener went right through the tire :(
    The sidewalls are bullet proof, but not the profile.
    Diesel farmer, can you still use chains with 245/70-16 tires?

I just got my tire repaired. The fastener that punctured it was a 3/4" long self drilling metal screw. The mesh inside the rubber was not damaged :blush: :blush: :blush: , and the technician had a real hard time to drill and mill inside the tire for installing the rubber insert.
    Nice job :shades: Costs me 32 Euros plus tip, about 50 USD :sick:
  • saiteksaitek Posts: 2
    Thankyou to mrmag00 and winter2 for responding to my post. It turned out to be a loose fuel filter allowing air into fuel circuit. The fuel filter was serviced by Chrysler but the warranty does not cover poor workmanship.
    Glad it was a simple problem. You need to shoot the tech who screwed up.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,971
    Sounds a bit familiar (link). First flat I've gotten in 2+ years.

Around here the tire shops give you an invoice for $11 USD and then mark it "complimentary."

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• synlubessynlubes Posts: 184
    sounds like the egr valve problem has gone away anybody still having problems
    Synlubes, I think those who have not yet disconnected their emissions control system went to a different thread:
    "Jeep Liberty Diesel EGR issues" ;)
  • Hogwash... workmanship is more important than the part itself. I never let poor workmanship pass without saying something and usually getting something for the inconvenience (even if its just a free oil change or tire rotation). Bottom line, the service techs make or break a service department and your return as a customer; not to mention your vehicle (just think if they left the oil filter or drain plus a smidge too lose). If the service manager won't respond, contact the general manager. As long as you're civil, respectful, and present the facts pertaining to the poor workmanship and inconvenience, you will see results. If that doesn't work, contact DC, dealers love it when they get a letter concerning their service department... tends to affect the "5 Star" rating or potential for one. That's what my local Jeep dealer got from me... now I use the Dodge dealer a 1/2 mile down the road.
  • jeyhoejeyhoe Posts: 490
    Well, some may remember I've been following this board because of my consideration of adding a CRD Liberty to the stable. Being in California, I can only get a used one. A nearby dealer decided to "corner the market" on used CRDs and began bringing them in from out of state and trying to sell them here (for pretty steep prices I might add.) I test drove and asked some ?s, the biggest of which was "who's gonna fix this thing". Oh, dont worry says the dealer. We're training our techs. We'll take care of it ..."

Well, guess what? The dealer, which has been there for 32 years, threw in the towel yesterday. OUT of business. They sold Jeep, Volvo, Suzuki and Chrysler. Gone.
  • cmasscmass Posts: 2
    I read through various forums AFTER buying TWO CRDs. I freaked out! HOWEVER, since then I have come to my senses and have decided these are the best 2 cars I have owned.
    Folks really need to relax about what they are reading. I have found over the past couple of years that most people in forums are there specifically because they are having trouble. Statistically speaking, they are a small minority of the population - but they are concentrated into one spot. Be careful about getting too "forum dizzy". Sometimes there really is such a thing as too much information. I read through these to get a better understanding of POTENTIAL problems, what to watch for and how to fix things. But I also did so with my Subaru as well as my F350 (both great cars for me - but labeled as crap & lemons by the people having trouble in the forums I read.)
    One important thing that I have learned with any car is to establish a good relationship with a reputable 5 star dealer. This can be critical if there are recalls (which most cars have at some point or another)
    So, relax, go get the TSBs taken care of, change the oil, keep it clean and have fun. These really are fun to drive. Plus, I have my own fueling station at my house in the form of a large tote and electric pump. I have always used exclusively 100% pure locally produced biodiesel with 0 problems - HOWEVER, I chose a dealer who is into it so I don't have to lie about using it. The cars both run fine. No tranny problems, no fuel problems, not even an ERG failure (which I attribute to the use of clean biodiesel).
    We have over 35K on these cars now - far past the point my Subarus had issues.
    Enjoy your cars! :mad:
    I very much agree with all that you say. People who have unresolved problems with their CRDs or any other vehicle will howl the loudest in a forum. I personally put most of the blame on poor dealer service.

My CRD has not been perfect but it is a good vehicle. It runs well and is quite economical for what it is. I have run my CRD on biodiesel blends up to 40% and it actually ran better. Unfortunately, biodiesel is hard to find in Montgomery County Maryland so I purchase when I am on the road.
    Not only that but some of this guys run their CRD so bad that the tranny, rear end, fuel system give them issues. You have to use it and do the small maintenance the you should give it every so often.

Nescosmo....