Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Liberty Diesel

Comments

• lippslipps Posts: 10
    Sorry for the delay in the reply, was traveling
    No the thermostat was not replaced. Living in Houston, it is not as important to heat the cabin. Still nice to get the chill off though!
  • My check engine light on my CRD just came on.It has 52000 miles on it. Took it to get check,said number 7 injector was bad.Funny seems it only has four!Seems to be running the same(great).I did notice a rotten egg oder once in awhile.Anyone experience such an odor?
  • winter2winter2 Posts: 1,798
    I used LubroMoly 5W-40, a full synthetic oil and changed it every 4000 to 5000 miles.
    Number seven injector and the CRD has only four of them? Now that is intriguing.

The only thing that comes to mind is that the same controller is used for V-8 diesels in Europe and elsewhere.

As for the smell, you might have a load of bad fuel or else there might be some over fueling going on.
  • lippslipps Posts: 10
    Thanks for the reply. I use Mobile 1 and change it every 4-5000 as well.
    My question stemmed from the fact I have heard others state about changing their oil every 12,500 miles or so. (Not a good idea!)
    At one time I had access to portable oil analysis equipment and over the course of a year would evaluate the condition of the oil every change. True the oil has the capability of not chemically degrading over this time, however the containments generated by the engine coupled with the moisture ingress to the sump, dramatically decrease the life of the oil.
    As far as your engine failure, perhaps you may wish to consult an attorney. I heard it stated recently, if the manufacturer insisted you have the dealer change the oil, they would have applied a big sticker to the underside of the hood stating that fact!
    Sorry again about your misfortune, good luck.
  • steverstever Ex Yooper, just arrived in New MexicoPosts: 40,540
    edited December 2010
    I don't think it was a matter of requiring an owner to use the dealer for service; but it can be a factor in deciding whether to help an owner out after the warranty has expired.

Manufacturers "want to see that you are a loyal, dealership-oriented, maintenance-conscience customer. By offering AWA, the manufacturer hopes to keep you as a loyal customer who will remember this assistance the next time you purchase a new vehicle".

The Secret Warranty - Understanding After Warranty Assistance

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Thanks winter2.
  • Sorry to read the post.
    Keep us updated on your vehicle decision.
    Merry Christmas and have a Happy New Year.
  • caribou1caribou1 Posts: 1,350
    edited December 2010
    A self-administered "Occupational Pension" is the proper definition of what our dealers try to install by abusing ignorant customers. Who really wants to be tied 7 years to a dealership? This becomes a lease and not a change of ownership.
    Toyota, VW and Audi give good service for the money compared to Jeep but they don't pay their customers to buy their new cars. They also use a trick over here: there are no shop manuals known to the public :sick:

Concerning AWA:
    - Harley Davidson France covers everything the first year then the owner needs to bring solid proof that an eventual problem is really and only due to the manufacturer to cover the cost of repair. Do you get the message?
  • steverstever Ex Yooper, just arrived in New MexicoPosts: 40,540
    edited December 2010
    Toyota, VW and Audi give good service for the money

Not over here they don't, at least not VW (Toyota and Jeep were also both below average in the '06 JD Power report I found). Dealers are independent of the manufacturer so it's a bit of a crap shoot, but VW has a lousy dealer rep in the US overall. Ask my sister (although her dealer did improve quite a bit as she neared the end of her ownership of her New Beetle. She likes VWs a lot, she didn't buy another because of the dealer). Hopefully with the new factory going up in Tennessee, service will improve.

No shop manuals would be a pain. Over here, we're trying to get access to everything (Right To Repair - A Hot Issue or Big Problem?)

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

edited December 2010
    Coming back to winter2 who (also) uses a K&N filter:
    Who is really competent to argue that this well known make is not as good as the Mexican, Tunisian or Chinese made "Original" filter element?
    If our 'judges' are paid by Chrysler then we need to change or accept a second round of humiliation. Most people buy their vehicle to get to work 50 weeks per year, not to suffer.

Here is what happened to Santa Claus who was a truthful customer but the manufacturer changed one of his suppliers:

edited December 2010
    Upon reading the included article about AWA, I am truly angry now. The dealer at which I purchased my Jeep never insisted or implied that I had to service my Jeep at their facility using their oil and filters. We have purchased several vehicles from them and they know how well they are maintained/serviced.

The dealer in Florida did not bother to call the purchasing dealer and the service manager at the Florida dealer made it clear that even if I had had all or most of my oil change/service receipts, it probably would not have mattered and Chrysler would have still said "no". Their other excuse is that the repair would cost as much as the blue book value of the car.

Had they gone on with the repair had I had my Jeep serviced at the dealer, then I would consider that a potential violation of Moss-Magnuson.

In any event, I am looking for a new car and it will not be from Chrysler. They once had loyal customers in my wife and myself.
  • You are leaving the pentastar and we bought a second one the wrangler. Hopefully this will get posted without the paragraphs moving disappearing or whatever. Caribou mentioned lease. One of my lost posts was about leasing. I've never leased. The h3 f&i mgr suggested the great subvented lease deal when we bought our h3.

Remember one of Ed's radio shows about paying for extra miles and paying extra to just walk away without taking a hit for normal wear and tear. Couple that with free maintenance and it may be the way we go next if we still have to drive infernal combustion that uses gas and oil.

Or buy and old frame and build our own. Sophisticated vehicles, electronic features, glitz over strong axles, parts from wherever to keep the cost down for the disappearing middle class. Good Luck. The thought of having to buy another new vehicle is a living hell.
    Dave,

Thanks for your input. A lease is not in the cards as I drive too many miles per year and a lease to cover that kind of mileage is expensive. Plus when I purchase a vehicle, I tend to keep it forever and I enjoy doing the maintenance on it.

My departure or potential departure from Chrysler is not in stone yet. I still like their products and know which ones to avoid. I am looking for another vehicle but a Liberty with diesel is not one of them. There are some out there at a reasonable price but considering how fragile they are and the amount of maintenance they require, forget it. I have been looking at the Jeep GC with the CDI (Daimler). The tech at the sealer I purchased my Jeep at says they are very clean burning engines and the trans are pretty good too.
  • Not a bad choice, I have been considering one in addition to my CRD.
    The CRD is a great little car, they just cut too many corners to save $$. If you are willing to spend the time and money to bring them up to their potential, they should last along time.
    I am very impressed with the towing capacity of my CRD as opposed to my 2000 Cherokee, 4.0. no comparrison.
    Best of luck: Bob
    To all of you how I have met here, I am going to say a heart felt "Good Bye". Since Chrysler refuses to repair my CRD, there is no sense in me coming here any longer to offer my thoughts.

I am in the process of writing to corporate higher ups to tell them about the treatment I received at the hands of Gator Chrysler in Melbourne, Florida.

Last night my wife and I purchased a replacement vehicle a loaded 2010 Mercury Milan Premier. It is not a diesel but straight gas. I had wanted a VW TDI but they are too much money and they are having EGR problems not unlike those which plague the CRD along with potential oil dilution issues related to DPF regeneration.

If my letters to Chrysler have any impact, such as getting a new engine for my CRD, then I will return. In the meantime, best of luck to all of you.
  • Thank you for the update.
    Wishing you many happy comfortable miles in the Mercury
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,876
    A reporter is interested in talking with recent car-buyers and car-shoppers who strongly considered the impact of rising gasoline prices when making a purchase decision.
    Please email your daytime contact information to pr@edmunds.com by Friday, January 7, 2010 to be interviewed.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• lakelvrlakelvr Posts: 21
    05 w/90,000 miles
    Thanks Dave. Have had the thing for one week. Drives nicely and reasonably decent on fuel too. Got 25.9MPG for the first week of driving here in metro D.C. Mostly (80%) highway, 20% crawl. Long trip should yield a bit more than 33 MPG. Still miss the CRD. Was a blast to drive.

When I last spoke to the dealer where I purchased my CRD, I found out that there is a six week wait to get the engine in our CRD. Dealer has no clue why.
  • You are most welcome sir.
    Always found Ford seats to be comfortable.
    Malibu got traded in for the Rubicon because this old back couldn't take all the 2-3 weekly trips on I-35 for months on end.

And yes, the CRD "Was a blast to drive" and you see I still am checking here. But I didn't know that I would be living on the net and in the garage.

Wanted a body on frame that fit in the tight garage and that brought me back to mopar. Not my first choice either. Do miss climbing hills like they weren't there. Both the h3 and rubi can climb the arbuckle hill and gain speed if the approach is started at 80.

Good luck and hope you are not footing the entire bill for the new engine.
  • super info thanks for sharing.
  • 2006 liberty crd wont star below 32 F / 0 C. i had it check by the dealer.
    they first change a cooling temp sensor, then the fuel filter but nothing it wont start and the computer gives no code even after a reset.
    the dealer tells me now i have to change 3 bad fuel injector for $1150.00 each.
    please did somone had this problem and how was it solved?
    I'll give you a quick trick: your nose is very sensitive to the smell of hydrocarbon (good spectrometer).
    Try to start your engine the way you did before posting and if the engine doesn't start reach the outlet of the exhaust pipe and inspect for residual odor (smell it) :sick:
    No smell means no fuel, slight smell of fuel means not enough heat for combustion to start and possibly a glow plug issue ;)

(A visible mist of fuel can only occur when the engine is warm enough to sustain its combustion and under extreme load. No need to use your nose in this case.)
    I read caribou1's suggestion and that is one place to start. Also, consider looking at the condition of your battery. It may turn the engine over but not turn it over fast enough. If the battery is weak then at lower temperatures the engine may not turnover fast enough to generate the heat needed to ignite the fuel.

If the battery is the problem, a potent group 34 battery should do the job. You do not need to purchase an Optima battery.

As to glow plugs, if one of them has failed totally then there is a reasonable chance that none of them will work.
    Hi winter2,
    Some 40 years ago during the cold season I would turn on the headlights for two minutes to warm the electrolyte of the battery then crank the engine for a short time and later insist until it would start. This was the young engineer's solution; now I use a $25 battery tender and forget about the rest :P
    Are you keeping the Jeep?

I had my wife's Toyota Camy (called Daihatsu Terios here) serviced for $90 this morning. The bill felt like a summer breeze because this is the cost for one year :shades:
    Good Morning Caribou1,

Am I keeping the Jeep? I wish I could but at this moment I do not know where it is. The dealer in Florida who I have contacted several times has not returned my calls so the Jeep could be on the moon for all I know. I have contacted Chrysler directly to get this dealer to respond to my calls.

I am putting together some letters to the higher ups at Chrysler hoping they will do something but I am not holding my breath.
    Kind of funny responding to your own comments.

Early yesterday afternoon the Florida dealer's service manager called me. I think my notes to Chrysler must have pissed someone off and now the s**t is flying. Based on my last conversation with this person in December it sounded like my options were quite limited. The call from Chrysler seems to have changed that. He did speak to the service manager at the dealer where I purchased the Jeep. My service manager gave the Florida service manager an earful.

Now the Florida people are talking about fixing the Jeep with a small contribution on my part say about one-quarter of the cost to get it back in shape with a new engine. I must say I am intrigued but considering that it cost me nearly $1000 to get home I figure that my input to getting the Jeep road worthy and back in my hands should be one-sixth of the cost, not one-quarter. I am going to speak with the Florida service manager later today. Stay tuned...

I have learned that the engine that goes in the Jeep is on serious back order like twelve plus weeks. Anyone in Europe have any idea what is going on?
    edited January 2011
    Hi winter2,
    I think part of your answer can be extrapolated by reading this French article. You'll need to translate it though...
    http://www.argusautopro.com/s_informer/fiat-france---nous-allons-rapprocher-deux- - - -marques-fortes-193250.html

According to the above article Chrysler and Fiat are merging and by the end of 2011 they should be on wheels again. 'Argus' is our 'Blue Book' here. It also mentions that Alfa-Romeo will have a mid-size SUV (understand diesel) by end 2012. Could VM shares change ownership?
    I have been talking to the Florida dealer where my CRD is on and off for the past couple of weeks. The service manager at the Florida dealer has been working with Chrysler to get my Jeep repaired and to get the deal done, I need to put up $3000 out of my pocket while Chrysler and this dealer eat the rest or $9000.

My wife and I would like to recover some of the expenses we incurred to get home and I asked but Chrysler said no. The service manager explained to me that after 11 January, monies became available and some policies changed, thus opening the opportunity to get my Jeep repaired.

Any and all thoughts appreciated.