Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Liberty Diesel

Comments

• mdamickmdamick Posts: 277
    What I found is that the IAT with the EGR active is about 195F.
    I simply put a resistor in that tells the PCM that the temperature is where it is supposed to be when the EGR is supposed to be active.
  • caribou1caribou1 Posts: 1,348
    This said, someone could try to put a blind over the intercooler when shifting hesitations occur. It would be a cute way get the EGR out of the circuit? Worth a try :)
  • nescosmonescosmo Posts: 453
    Well we all worry about the Boost Pressure Intake Air Temp Sensor to be clean at all time, but what about the Camshaft Position Sensor. Does it have to be clean?, it is in the same intake chamber which is extremilly dirty with soot from the EGR. Talking about soot, what about doing the Orm, does it work, is it worth it?, they said that the soot will go away and the oil will be always clean. are you guys are doing the Orm regularly?.- Like some input - Thanks.

Nescosmo
  • mdamickmdamick Posts: 277
    That would raise the IAT some & might cut down the amount of EGR flow.
    It would be an interesting experiment.
  • bmartinpebmartinpe Posts: 51
    I have just been told that my 2005 Liberty CRD is ready to be picked up with its sixth EGR valve replacement. This makes the seventh EGR that the little beast will have. Earlier I was told that the emissions warranty expires at 36,000, and consequently the EGR replacement will be on my dime after that time. Can I really afford to replace the EGR with each oil change?
  • boilermaker2boilermaker2 Posts: 131
    Silly question: What is the Orm?
  • hamchamphamchamp Posts: 33
    Just an update. The 05 CRD Jeep was replaced on April 27, 2007 by a 07 Dodge Dakota. I think you all knew that. However, today the Jeep in A Heep finally got repaired. That dealership called and said that it was fixed. It has been there so long, 110 days, they forgot that DCX is now the owner of the vehicle. We are happy with the replacement vehicle. A big headache off our shoulders. hamchamp
    When I went to pick up my Liberty and its seventh EGR valve and sixth glow plug (4 original and 2 replacements), I asked the service advisor to quote my cost on replacing the EGR valve. The parts department came back with a price of $192 US for the EGR valve. I forgot to ask if that included the throttle body and gaskets. We estimated 3 hours to pay the mechanic to do the work at $102 US per hour. So there you have it: about $500 per EGR replacement. . .with each oil change. Yes, I have asked for a meeting with the zone representative.
  • synlubessynlubes Posts: 184
    please let me no what he says
    Boilemaker.... O-R-M means Off Road Modification and what it is; You take the off the plug from the maf sensor near the air filter off and by doing that the Air Control Valve will open and the EGR valve will close, giving fresh air to the engine all the time. The Cell will come on but the engine will not absorb any more soot, fuel mileage will increase, the crd will run smother and the oil will be clean all the time. Until now peaple has not experience and disadvantage but to myself I do not know what to do. If things go that way, that will be the solution of the EGR issue. I have tried it but engine rattle some.

Nescosmo.
    When I inquired today about an extended service contract for my Liberty, I was told that the non-Chrysler underwriter would not cover the EGR valve. The EGR valve was part of the emissions warranty, and therefore excluded from the extended warranty that this DCX dealer recommended.

To extend the warranty to 7/100,000 on Chrysler's Max-Care plan with no deductible will cost me something over $3,000, or about 15% of the original cost of the vehicle.

"These are the times to try men's souls." --Thomas Paine, Patriot
    Interesting that the buzz on the Grand Cherokee diesel is non-existent. I remember that this discussion on the diesel Liberty first posted in March, 2003 and accumulated over 500 posts before the first vehicles were delivered early in 2005.On the GC side there are only 3, count 'em, 3 posts for the diesel version.

I saw my first diesel GC on a dealer's lot the other day. It was situated way to the rear of the lot, and sticker priced in the neighborhood of $48,000. That's over twice as much as I paid for my Liberty CRD.
  • 05crdjeep05crdjeep Posts: 59
    I just installed the entire selection of Mopar skid plates. The Limited I have came with the one plate in the front. I ordered three more, one for the fuel tank, one for the transfer case and another for under the transmission. The three of them were right about $200. Installation was fairly easy with all the holes already there. The fasteners were an interesting insert that deformed to fit the hole and gives you some threads to bolt to.

If anyone has thought about adding them, I'd recommend the OEM plates because of ease of installation. I have an air wrench that made the install a snap. You need a torque wrench to snug them to specific pound feet of snugness.

It was also a fun project.
    We are leaving MN in a couple of days for three days in Death Valley and four days in Yosemite, hoping to find some places to put some scratches into the skid plates!

I have not had any problems to report, knock on wood.
  • faroutfarout Posts: 1,609
    bmartinpe: By first glance I would say you have the legal discription of a Lemon Law vehicle. I would call DCX custome care line at 800 992 1997 and ask for them to consider a buy back. Our CRd was in the shop 25 times, but never overnight.DCX called us asking us to consider a buy back. By what my service thec. said DCX is buying a number of these back.
    There is a reason these EGR's are needing replacement. They have to find the cause instead of just replacing the same part over and over. 6 EGR's is just plane stupid, there has to be a cause.

farpit
  • bravo6bravo6 Posts: 2
    I well know of the "looks" as you back up or drive off and this new jeep is making all of this noise! :blush:
    You won't get any argument out of me on this point. I am coming to the opinion that as designed and built, my Liberty will not pass emissions testing on a consistent basis year over year. As a matter of fact, when I was ready to relicense the vehicle last September, the engine light came on. We replaced the EGR, and I immediately took it to the testing station. After waiting and idling for over 45 minutes the light came on again as I pulled into the testing bay. That particular EGR didn't even give me 20 miles of service. The EGR warranty is for 3/36000, but I haven't gotten the first 36000 miles out of one yet. Ah but I do enjoy listening to that diesel hum along!

P.S. Farout, I'd like to meet you sometime. I think you may have attended the same church as I do. Reply to me offlist: bill@martinstation.com
  • steve05steve05 Posts: 52
    Jeez, for some reason I have it in my head that the emissions system is warranteed for 100,000 miles by federal mandate. I'll google that here in a minute and see.
  • steve05steve05 Posts: 52
    24/24000 mi for the egr stuff, 8 years and 80k miles for the ECU and OBD stuff. Good link: http://www.epa.gov/otaq/consumer/warr95fs.txt
  • roathd1roathd1 Posts: 4
    I would like to comment on the fuel mileage. I have 2005 CRD and today I got 29mpg on a flat road, outside temp 86 degrees, average speed 65 miles per hour. Normally I average 24-26mpg and commute daily about 110 to and from work on the German autobahn. The warmer the outside temp the better my mileage. I also think from other comments on this forum that the US spec fuels are the cause for allot of the problems in the states for the CRD. I have 33000 miles on my Jeep and only had regular service done the two recalls, (ball joints/Flash Computer) but none of the other problems. I did have the right rear brake caliper replaced due to dragging but overall it has been a great vehicle.

DR
    Does any body have done the ORM? Well after me thinking about it i did it and the first day the engine radle some but boy after the third day the engine work like a sowing machine. I clean the map before i did it. It is smooth, power at take off increase and i get about 2 to 3 mpg better than before. The cell light is on but the result is well worth it. please let me know if you guys have do it and what could happen.

Nescosmo.