Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Liberty Diesel

Comments

• I feel for you. Our 06 CRD is still running fine but, the tran. recall lost us about 10 mpg. I told the dealer that he would never see me again for a new vehicle.
  • winter2winter2 Posts: 1,796
    The F37 recall you speak of did not alter the fuel economy on my CRD but did decrease pulling power on hills a little bit.
    I am not sure what point you are trying to make here ;)
  • caribou1caribou1 Posts: 1,348
    Hi winter2,
    If you would have known that Jeep could put you in such a miserable situation...

I'm keeping my Toyotas until the CRD dies.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 39,041
    There's some sort of IE bug that's not fixed yet that's causing people's posts to disappear when they try to post them. That's probably what happened to Unclebob9 (sorry Bob!).

Bummer about the engine. Manufacturers do sometimes go the extra mile when you've been a loyal customer (i.e., paying shop rates for all your mechanical work and maintenance at the dealer).

I suppose you could send a note to K&N....
  • lippslipps Posts: 10
    Wow I feel for you. There was a CRD engine on Ebay a few months ago They were asking 3500 for it.
    Just curious, What kind of oil and how often did you change it?
  • fustfust Posts: 29
    I have started to notice that my 2005 crd has starting cranking over faster and takes longer to start, has anyone experienced the same problem and eventual repair? I use my block heater and park in a heated garage so the temperature is not a factor. I feel it will lead to an eventual no start situation just over cranking. Any help appreciated.
  • mdamickmdamick Posts: 277
    Try pressurizing your fuel filter with the push pump.
    It sounds like you may be getting air in the fuel system.

A lot of people have been installing lift pumps to solve the air in fuel problem. I have not (yet). There was an issue with the fuel heater connector allowing fuel into the filter head.
    Hi steve,
    The VM engine as such is a wonderful piece of equipment but Daimler Chrysler killed the hen in the egg by trying to make something over sophisticated out of it.
    I bet K&N engineers already read these lines ;)
    Sorry for the delay in the reply, was traveling
    No the thermostat was not replaced. Living in Houston, it is not as important to heat the cabin. Still nice to get the chill off though!
  • My check engine light on my CRD just came on.It has 52000 miles on it. Took it to get check,said number 7 injector was bad.Funny seems it only has four!Seems to be running the same(great).I did notice a rotten egg oder once in awhile.Anyone experience such an odor?
    I used LubroMoly 5W-40, a full synthetic oil and changed it every 4000 to 5000 miles.
    Number seven injector and the CRD has only four of them? Now that is intriguing.

The only thing that comes to mind is that the same controller is used for V-8 diesels in Europe and elsewhere.

As for the smell, you might have a load of bad fuel or else there might be some over fueling going on.
    Thanks for the reply. I use Mobile 1 and change it every 4-5000 as well.
    My question stemmed from the fact I have heard others state about changing their oil every 12,500 miles or so. (Not a good idea!)
    At one time I had access to portable oil analysis equipment and over the course of a year would evaluate the condition of the oil every change. True the oil has the capability of not chemically degrading over this time, however the containments generated by the engine coupled with the moisture ingress to the sump, dramatically decrease the life of the oil.
    As far as your engine failure, perhaps you may wish to consult an attorney. I heard it stated recently, if the manufacturer insisted you have the dealer change the oil, they would have applied a big sticker to the underside of the hood stating that fact!
    Sorry again about your misfortune, good luck.
    edited December 2010
    I don't think it was a matter of requiring an owner to use the dealer for service; but it can be a factor in deciding whether to help an owner out after the warranty has expired.

Manufacturers "want to see that you are a loyal, dealership-oriented, maintenance-conscience customer. By offering AWA, the manufacturer hopes to keep you as a loyal customer who will remember this assistance the next time you purchase a new vehicle".

The Secret Warranty - Understanding After Warranty Assistance
  • Thanks winter2.
  • Sorry to read the post.
    Keep us updated on your vehicle decision.
    Merry Christmas and have a Happy New Year.
    edited December 2010
    A self-administered "Occupational Pension" is the proper definition of what our dealers try to install by abusing ignorant customers. Who really wants to be tied 7 years to a dealership? This becomes a lease and not a change of ownership.
    Toyota, VW and Audi give good service for the money compared to Jeep but they don't pay their customers to buy their new cars. They also use a trick over here: there are no shop manuals known to the public :sick:

Concerning AWA:
    - Harley Davidson France covers everything the first year then the owner needs to bring solid proof that an eventual problem is really and only due to the manufacturer to cover the cost of repair. Do you get the message?
    edited December 2010
    Toyota, VW and Audi give good service for the money

Not over here they don't, at least not VW (Toyota and Jeep were also both below average in the '06 JD Power report I found). Dealers are independent of the manufacturer so it's a bit of a crap shoot, but VW has a lousy dealer rep in the US overall. Ask my sister (although her dealer did improve quite a bit as she neared the end of her ownership of her New Beetle. She likes VWs a lot, she didn't buy another because of the dealer). Hopefully with the new factory going up in Tennessee, service will improve.

No shop manuals would be a pain. Over here, we're trying to get access to everything (Right To Repair - A Hot Issue or Big Problem?)