Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Liberty Diesel

Comments

• winter2winter2 Posts: 1,796
    Any more news you ask? There certainly is. On Thursday (3/17) afternoon I received a call from the Florida dealership that the long block had arrived from Italy a few days before.

Once I send them my portion of the money then they will do the repair. I have told them that they will need to drive the Jeep for at least a week before I take possession of it again and the dealer has agreed to this.

They are going to hold the engine for me to see, but they are reluctant to pull the oil pan off for me to see what has occurred. I just might bring my own tools and do it myself.
    Hello Farout,

Not up to Chrysler standards? How recently was that tidbit passed onto you?

A new engine from VM? That should be intriguing!!!

If I knew that this engine was going to be as difficult as it was I might have taken a harder look at VM products and asked a few more questions. At the time I purchased my Jeep I had also considered a VW TDI (pre-common rail) and they were having their own aggravation with them too. The thing that killed it for VW was that the dealer insisted that I had to come to them for service otherwise VW would void the warranty. I really had no time to argue with them about and bought the Jeep.

As to the so-called "new" engine, my guess that the engine is going to be the RA428. It is similar to ours but the big difference is the injectors which are piezo-electric allowing for more quick consecutive injections, allowing for a cleaner, quieter burn plus another 40 lb-ft of torque. The question is did VM gussy up the rest of the parts to handle the addition torque and will Chrysler have a torque converter to handle the additional torque without crapping out like ours did.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,910
    Sounds like you are making progress. Slow, but progress. Thanks for the update.
  • samm43samm43 Posts: 195
    These newer piezo-electric injectors than your old engine had, have been used in newer engines in order to better able meet ever stricter emissions regs. They will be very expensive when the time comes to replace them, but of course with a bit of luck and clean fuel, you likely won't have to deal with them for the next 250k+ miles.

And given 40 extra foot pounds of torque, I agree that it would be good if we can assume they have beefed up con rods, wrist pins and main bearings. I would write them (VM Motori) a postal mail to tech dept and ask them. If the auto is the same 5 speed that is used in the Grand Cherokee, you should be OK there. Ask Chrysler to be sure. It may not be as I don't think they had the TC issues the Liberty had.

I have read quite a few of your earlier posts and I feel your pain. Was glad that your near give-up turned into a perseverance that paid off near the end, even though having to anti up 3 grand is no pocket change by any stretch of the imagination, it is way better than the total loss that would have been the alternative. Your story hit pretty close to home with me as I too do all my own work. I keep records of the date and time, what all was done, all the receipts and I even rub a dirty oiled finger or two on my maintenance schedule for even greater authenticity. I'm honest in my claims but they don't know that.

Sam
    Sam,

The trans on the Grand Cherokee CDI is not the RFE 545 but the NAG-5, a Mercedes slushbox. It is a a fairly good trans for the CDI but they also used it in the Chrysler Crossfire and in that application it was a hunk of junk.

This past Friday I stopped at the dealer where I purchased my CRD and told them the news. The service manager urged me to hold off on writing to Sergio until after I get my CRD back from Florida. They have one in their shop right now that will be getting a new engine that Chrysler is paying for. The engine has a significant oil consumption issue and only has 67K miles on it. The owner has had the dealer do all of the oil changes and all of the usual culprits have been ruled out. I am good friends with the diesel tech there and he is not looking forward to doing the engine swap.
  • caribou1caribou1 Posts: 1,348
    edited March 2011
    Hi winter2,
    A significant oil consumption do you say?
    Does it burn the oil or leak to the ground?

Mine produces a messy oil stain pattern, wherever I park, near the junction of the tranny and engine. Seen from the back of the Jeep it looks like this:

° °
    O O

The funny thing is that my fluid levels are always good!
  • faroutfarout Posts: 1,609
    Hey Winter2, this is farout. I had the "Green Beast" remember me? Do I understand you have a Grand Cherokee CRD? Do You still have the Liberty CRD?

I might have it wrong but does it seem that the Liberty CRD's are having more issues as they get more miles on them?

My Pacifica AWD now has 94,600 miles on it and we like it better all the time. I wish the CRD would have worked out as Chrysler thought. But for us 25 times in the shop in 16 months was too much for Chrysler and us.

farout
    As I understand it, the oil is burned. There are no leaks. The guy who owns it does not blow the engine's nose so I am guessing that the poor thing is full of carbon and the rings are totally foulled with carbon and sludge.
    Farout,

You are unforgettable!

I have the Liberty CRD and up to the point where the engine let go my primary issues had been the trans, namely torque converters and more recently glow plugs namely number 2 (dealer fixed) and number four ( I fixed).
    Outside of that, the engine gave me very few problems except for a pulley (Timing belt) that went bad (dealer fixed), EGR valve and a computer flash.

I forgot to respond to Caribou's oil leak. Caribou, look at the CVCC on top of the valve cover toward the rear of the engine. Check the hose(s) as they may not be tight fitting any longer. I had a similar issue with oil on the right side of the engine. I Cleaned out the CVCC (make sure you treat the gasket gently) and reattched the hose(s) with some gasket cement. That did the trick.
  • faroutfarout Posts: 1,609
    winter2: My Pacifica has had two TC replaced. One at 10,000 and the other at 80,000. Both were defective. Maybe these Chrysler TC's have issues. but after 2008 I have'nt heard of much.

Are you the one with the light weight travel trailer? If so do you still like it? How many miles on your CRD now?

farout
  • caribou1caribou1 Posts: 1,348
    edited March 2011
    Thank you winter2,
    I had completely forgotten I had crankcase ventilation.
    I did nothing on the Jeep last year, it was in much better shape than I was :sick: :sick: :sick:
  • unclebob9unclebob9 Posts: 103
    Many have installed a Pro-vent to remove this oil and keep it out of the turbo as well.
    Farout,

I do not have a trailer of any kind.

As to the torque converters on the CRD, the tech at the dealer told that they are pretty okay but the failures that they suffered early on were related to a transmission programming issue (too much slippage, I think). When this one fails, I will replace it with a Suncoast converter and add a shift kit. I am also going to have the tech put a drainplug into the pan of the trans so I can drain the fluid every 10K miles and add fresh.

As my CRD stands, it has 77,594 miles on it.
    The converters were replaced under a re-call, and they detuned the engines at the same time to put less stress on the T.C. Many reoport that their MPG dropped alot when this re-call was preformed.
    As far as I can tell they replaced the original T..C.'s with one about the same in most cases, just posponing the failure until the rigs are out of warrenty. If you tow much, yours will fail sooner. The Suncoast is one of the best, but it is pricey, $800-$1000 just for the part. the drain plug kit cost about $8 at Napa auto parts. It is an easy install. The Trans-go kit is also a pretty easy install, (Under $40) only a bit messy (I did both myself in my driveway). It makes your shifts more positive, but I think the computer compensates for the kit to a degree over time. A provent kit which is a simple filter system costs about $160+ but is well worth it. Another easy install, except you need to build a bracket to mount it. It removes most of the oil from the CCV system that has destroyed many peoples turbos. It keeps your CRD breathing clean, and will increase your MPG at the same time. The LostJeets forum has tons if info and every CRD owner should check it out and start reading. These jeeps are not for the normal person. Corners were cut and adaptions were made for the U.S. market to for smog reasons that you can fix now and save your engine. For between $200 and $300, you may save your $10,000 engine, which is basically a very good little engine.
    hope this helps: Bob
  • The heater pump was the first belt driven item top left when looking under hood and belt was the external belt. Pump made a rattleing sound.
  • I havent even recived the usual questionaire I used to get for normal maintence items.
  • This morning I decided to take the Liberty Jeep a few extra miles on the way to work just to make double sure things were ok. Low and behold on comes the check engine icon light immediately after exiting the highway. Took it straight to Jeep dealership was informed the Mass Air Flow Sensor was bad. 200.00 or so was the quote. The water pump , belt and heater just set me back over 2300.00 last month. I wonder if any service contract or extended warranty insurance company would cover this vehicle? Seems the only way out now.
    Before you spend $200.00 on a new MAF, pull the one in the Jeep and clean it. The MAF is located just beyond the air cleaner housing and all you will need is a screwdriver to remove it. Clean with some MAF cleaner (I use the one from CRC and it comes in a silver can). Use MAF cleaner only. It has been suggested that you disconnet a battery terminal before doing this.
    I will be getting my Jeep back on May 5th from the Florida dealer barring any problems.

However, I spoke to my local dealer who had recently replaced an engine in a CRD that had a serious oil consumption problem. It took the tech about four or five days to swap out the engines. They did open the old engine (pulled the head) and what do you think they found? Oval, misshaped cylinder bores/sleeves, especially #4 cylinder. They have no clue as to how or what caused the issue or how long it took the sleeves to get into that condition.

So for those of you with CRDs that eat oil, this might be a place to look/consider.
    had to be either a manufacture defect or it got REALLY hot!