Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeep Liberty Diesel

Comments

• faroutfarout Posts: 1,609
    Gary: The EPA has had standards long before the Jeep Crd failed it's owners. My "green Beast" was a good body just a cheaply made junky engine, that was Jeep designers fault for looking for the least expensive CRD they could put in at the time. Form the very first in 2005 when these CRD's came out the Service Tec's felt these engines were going to be big problems, and they were and still are for many. Was blessed to have Jeep call me and ask if they could buy back my CRD. My CRD was in the shop 25 times in 16 months, not a stellar record that's for sure. I was so glad to get out of that CRD.

The CRD's that seem to have been better is ones that did not get "de-tuned & a new torque converter" That totally destroyed the HP and pulling power. Who is to blame for that?

Here is wahts really stupid, the Jeep GC is going to have a nother V.M. CRD soon as ALPAR has reported.

I wonder how many CRD's were bought back by Jeep, and where they wound up? When I trace my old "Green Beast" the VIN does not show up. I t might have been shipped to a foregin country, which is not unheard of.
  • caribou1caribou1 Posts: 1,348
    Hi farout,
    If your 'Green Beast' was sent abroad, it must have lost its emission control add-ons along the way and should work fine today, just like mine :blush:

I see more gassers here nowadays, because local prices for diesel and gas are practically even price wise and mileage between both types of engines is practically the same.
    I kept my 15 year old Toyota diesel for the city and the Jeep is mainly used for long trips and holidays with the family :shades:
  • thecipthecip Posts: 18
    Hi All, I need to state before I type that I am as far from a mechanic as Tim Tebow is to a pocket QB. My 2006 CRD with 120K miles threw its timing belt. From YouTube videos and other posts I can assume at minimum there is rocker and valve damage. Yes I now know the manual said to change the timing belt at 80K!

Here is my issue. My neighbor, who rebuilds Hondas, wants to tear into it and fix it this spring. The parts are probably going to be upwards of 2K I figure. Not being a mechanic and relying on a volunteer to fix an engine does not appeal to me. Anyone think there is a market for a CRD with internal issues?

Thanks!
    Cip
  • warren9warren9 Posts: 39
    How far are you from Maine. I'd be interested in buying the old engine. You may have bent rods and or damaged pistons. As well.
  • faroutfarout Posts: 1,609
    I beleive this is an interferance engine, and bent valves is just about a 96% sure thing. To fis the head and do a valve job would be more than my four cyclender Dodge Neon, and it is going to be $ 1,500. I know these CRD's engines are REALLY EXPENSIVE to r&r. My 2005 CRD was bought back by Chrysler in 07. Good luck.
  • unclebob9unclebob9 Posts: 103
    If he is a mechanic, he should be able to fix it.
    I have seen engines on EBAY from wrecked CRD's.
    Many people have waited past 120k miles to change the timing belt with no problems and expressed how good it still looked for 120k+ miles.
    I am planing on doing mine around 100k miles.
    go to the LostJeeps forum for a list of the parts you will need and suppliers who you may be able to save a few bucks buying through.
    Best of luck.
    Thanks for the pointer to lostjeeps. That is a pretty long parts list !!
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,950
    edited March 2012
    We aren't set up for buying and selling on the forums. You can mark your email public in your Profile if you want to talk to another member about parting out your car. Thanks.
    will do .. sorry about that !
  • warren9warren9 Posts: 39
    OK now I need to figure how to do that.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,950
    edited March 2012
    There should be a "Display my e-mail address" option when you click on the Community Profile link in the right sidebar. If it doesn't work for some reason, shoot me an email and we'll figure something else out.
  • Hi
    I have a 2006 desel Ex lease, had to put a new motor in it. the dealer wanted 15000.00 for a new motor. $ 2000,00 to put it in.
    I found a used motor in bellingham. at a wreaking yard. 05 with a little less miles on it.( $ 4500)

The dealer offered me $ 1500 for the car,with no motor.

With the motor out, I put a new timing belt in.
    Anne
  • Hi
    I am new to the forum.
    I have a 2006 white jeep liberty diesel.
    How do you stop the black smoke from happening?
    I have people drop back from me, like I am going to blow up.
    I heard that you can bypass the EGR valve?
    Any ideas
    thanks Anne
  • mdamickmdamick Posts: 277
    Every once in a while it helps to floor it through the gears a few times to clean out the soot in the catalytic.

The easiest way to kill the EGR is go to http://www.greendieselengineering.com
    they can reprogram the engine and transmission computers.
    I gained about 15% on mileage after having it done.
  • Hi
    Thanks for the information for the jeep.
    Which program did you use?
    Have you had any problems with it?
    I drive back and forth to north Van everyday so I would like to see the mileage increase.
    I have changed a lot of things on this jeep,had to put in another motor,(never buy a ex lease).
    Thanks Anne
  • It is an interface engine, but the rockers are all designed to fail instead of causing engine damage. The valves, pistons, and rods should all be fine, but he should have to replace all the rockers, which aren't particularly cheap.
  • mtngoat1mtngoat1 Posts: 4
    when should the timing belt be changed?
  • unclebob9unclebob9 Posts: 103
    From what I have been reading between 100k and 120k. Although I think they recommend it at around 80k miles. there are alot of other parts that you replace at the same time, water pump, thermostat, etc... that add up, but since they are exposed while doing the timing belt and major jobs on their own, this is the time to do them.
    From my experiance the water pump will usually go out before the timing belt. If the belt breaks, you may destroy the engine, so it is a calculated risk. So, 100k is a good rule of thumb and gives you a good bench mark for future belt changes.
  • winter2winter2 Posts: 1,796
    I have been away for some time and I will post a few more times before I leave this blog altogether.

Something funny dawned on me the other day. The Liberty diesel has an oil capacity of 6.4 quarts for 2.8L of displacement. The diesels that were placed in the Grand Cherokee take 10 quarts of oil and displace 3.0L. Way back in the early 1980's, I owned an Isuzu I-Mark with a 1.8L diesel that took almost eight quarts of oil while a new VW TDI (2.0L) takes 4.6 quarts. Now am I crazy or is there something wrong with this picture? Where am I going with this? Well, the better made diesels like Daimler, BMW and Isuzu have significantly larger crankcase capacity than the VM Motori monstrosity found in the Liberty. What does this tell you? Well, as we all know the environment in a diesel is pretty ugly so more oil allows for greater dilution of contaminants thus longer engine life. Obviously, VM Motori builds crap.

AS to those of you with a jumped/broken timing belt, the followers that open the valves are cracked so they are designed to break easily if the piston hits the valves.

My letter to Chrysler is nearly completed and will be going out soon. It is my intention to post it here once it has been mailed.
  • tired_old_davetired_old_dave Posts: 700
    edited May 2012
    Thank you for this post. I've been wondering about you. I've even checked the Mercury threads. Good to hear from you and hope everything else in life is treating you well.

I don't even read Lost let alone post there anymore. And while I read the other jk forums, I only have a login here. And just like this crd forum, the jk forums have a few worth reading posters and the rest is fluff or old items discovered by new owners coming late to the party.

Don't know about you but at times I am ready to buy an old frame and build a real vehicle with real aftermarket parts.