Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Rims hitting on front brake calipers

jokergolfjokergolf Member Posts: 1
edited April 2015 in Ford
My 2001 Ford Explorer sport need new tires, I found a great deal on some used tires on a 1998 Explorer 4door but when I swapped the tires the wheels from 98 hit on the front break calipers. they were the same size wheels 15" and the tires were the same size 235 75 15 both factory wheels, I had to put my old rims back on the front of my Explorer. Why wont they fit the rear wheels were fine?

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,084
    jokergolf said:

My 2001 Ford Explorer sport need new tires, I found a great deal on some used tires on a 1998 Explorer 4door but when I swapped the tires the wheels from 98 hit on the front break calipers. they were the same size wheels 15" and the tires were the same size 235 75 15 both factory wheels, I had to put my old rims back on the front of my Explorer. Why wont they fit the rear wheels were fine?

Different backspacing or offset than your stock set, most likely. A lot more components attached to the front, so the brakes aren't in the same exact position as the back..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator