Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Transmission problems with Lexus ES?

Comments

• scoti1scoti1 Posts: 676
    I find it curious that I was the inspiration of your first ever post on Edmunds after over a year of "passive" viewing. I will find your question more truly sincere when you ask it of the many many other Forum members who post more frequently than I do in the Toyota/Lexus forums. With that out of the way, I will tell you that I currently own a Toyota Sequoia with no problems, with the exception of the lousy gas mileage, but I knew what I was getting into when I bought it. So with that aside - back to the discussion at hand...
  • montiemontie Posts: 10
    Please do not doubt my sincerity. This isn't what you may think it is. The main reason why I haven't said much before now has mostly to do with our internet back home. It is the slowest in the world I think! And your screename is the most informative source of who to contact about problems. Currently I am visiting friends in Cincinatti Ohio and I love how their internet works here!
    So I am still curious why you settled on Toyota Lexus
    as your main focus? Is it because of problems you have had or what? Are you involved in a dispute with them? Have you been wronged somehow? Have you had success in dealing with them?
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    I'm not scoti1 but....

I have been an enthusiastic Lexus "supporter" since purchasing my first one, a new 1992 LS400. Company currently owns that original 92, a 95 LS, a 2001 AWD RX300, and an 03 Prius.

That being said my personal "nature" is to be, act, as a fixer. I truly LOVE solving problems.

So while I was not mentioned you may also notice that my own posts are mostly in the realm of resonse to user complaints. I have no doubt that Scoti1 has inadvertently fallen into the same category.
    So I am still curious why you settled on Toyota Lexus
    as your main focus?

Sorry, but I thought I made that clear. I own a Toyota.
  • pilot130pilot130 Posts: 319
    Regarding your query about motives:
    In fairness to Wwest, he may not own nor have experienced one of the affected vehicles, however, based on his response to Montie's questions, he apparently owns a fleet of Toyota products--hence (IMO) that certainly qualifies him to say anything he wants about them.
    That amount of exposure to Toyota products also speaks to his knowledge of the products, which appears to be quite extensive.
    I am confident that West's motives in problem solving are sincere, especially when applied to the "Great Hesitation Debate" we have indulged ourselves in over the past months.
    I sincerely hope Wwest continues to be a satisfied Toyota "Supporter."
    In considering one other response to Montie's questions, the intentional deflection of those questions raises major doubts as to what motive might be at play there.
    Be that as it may, there really is no "right" or "wrong" within this hesitation debate. Essentially, it's just a debate, nothing more, nothing less.
    As User777 says, paraphrased: "frankly, no one can state factually what may (or may not) lie at the bottom of the issue, nor can anyone state factually just how extensive the issue may (or may not) be."
    Needless to say it's been an interesting time.
    Let's hope those who feel they have problems somehow manage to garner some satisfaction before too long.
    Regarding the input from Montie--I see from the profile that He's an Aussie here on a visit. I will be visiting his country fairly soon and hope he finds his stay here in NA as pleasant as I do during visits there.
    Re Post 854 from Hyliner--A totally appropriate answer, and the solution is clear. I agree.
    Finally, to all my fellow debaters--(both pro, con, and our illustrious Host)--Best Wishes for a Happy and Prosperous New Year!!
    Thanks wwest.

Questioning "motives" and getting personal is what got the Engine Hesitation forum closed. I see a similar trend occuring here now (the only forum open that addresses this hesitation issue) by the same players and I am not going to go there. This is the last time I will talk about things of a personal nature here and I would respectfully request that others also not respond to posts that are off-topic and personal, no matter how sincere they may appear. In the future, I hope the moderators can address this directly with the individual instigator(s) rather than closing down forums.
  • billranbillran Posts: 113
    There are without a doubt motivations here that I have yet to fully figure out. When people who have no direct connection to the problem, and have never even personally experienced it, feel compelled to come back time and again feeding the controversy, something is up. There are posts that are obviously slanted against the manufacturer, and when that happens over and over I have to wonder why. If Edmunds wants to address the true cause of the unrest on the boards that would be a good place to start.
  • hylynerhylyner Posts: 216
    Scoti, Like you, I don't want to go there either, but I must question the necessity and intent of posting "similar trend occurring ....by the same players....". There were many "same players" at your referenced flamefest Scoti. We all should refrain from pointing fingers and singling out individuals here or anywhere else as more or less guilty than any others. So please Scoti, let's not start things up again by flaming others, subtly or otherwise.
    Billran, motives or not, as long as they don't get personal or do the flaming thing, any comment, idea, or opinion is fair ball.
    If there's an issue to discuss, let's just discuss it, OK?
    Now, back to the subject of this forum......
  • Well you all know the rules we try to live by around here, so keep it friendly and you'll be okay.
  • shepalishepali Posts: 72
    I appreciate your thoughts, and you are probably right on a lot of them. But is it still very disappointing.

I HAVE applied the most recent TSB, and my car is actually worse than ever. I accept that the TSB appears to have worked for some - but it has not worked for all. And Lexus should address that, in my opinion.

I cannot even explain to you how BADLY my car drives. And I would love to get rid of it - and I'm even emotionally prepared to take the $3k hit, because I HATE THIS CAR SO BAD!!! But, fundamentally, I just feel that Lexus should stand up and support their product. I am not driving this car in any unusual manner beyond how a car was designed to be driven. Even if my so called driving habits' are different than others (which I don't necessarily believe), that is NO EXCUSE for a car that drives like this.

This is the ninth car I have personally owned, and last year alone I rented over 30 cars - I have NEVER NEVER experienced this kind of behavior from ANY car before. And THAT should mean something.

I would just be happy, and have asked that the dealer or manufacturer buy my car back for what I owe, which is also approximately what they could resell it for (they SHOULD even be able to make a profit on that amount!). But, they are not interested.

Thus, I am in the process of filing a lawsuit under the Deceptive Trade Practices Act (DTPA). My attorney has advised me that it is in my best interest FOR THE LAWSUIT to keep the car until the suit is resolved. This too is very unfortunate, that I have to be subjected to continuing to drive such a piece of JUNK - just to get some type of remedy (which isn't even guaranteed). Not to mention, that I had to forego all of the great December new car deals!!!

Anyway, I appreciate having this forum as a way to vent - but I would appreciate any constructive ideas on how to remedy this problem, rather than the back-and-forth bantering that some are doing here.

This is a REAL problem, being experienced by REAL people. If you disagree - then please go read another forum and allow us that are experiencing the problem to share our experiences.
    Thank you.
  • shepalishepali Posts: 72
    Oh, I forgot to mention that I have filed a complaint at the NHTSA website. Its actually amazing how many posts that are almost identical to mine - yet they have done NOTHING.

I will try the other website you suggested.

As for arbitration (I assume you mean the lemon law?) - my attorney and I have discussed this, but based on the posts on this forum, it doesn't look like many people have had very good luck. There was even a post from someone in my own state - Texas - who didn't have any luck. So, we chose the DTPA route for now. I am still considering the Lemon Law though, and may end up trying that route as well.

Thanks again for your insights - and I welcome any other ideas people may have.
    I have filed a complaint at the NHTSA website. Its actually amazing how many posts that are almost identical to mine
    Can you help me to find all these complaints at your NHTSA website? I would like to look through them but cannot seem to find the right way to see them all. I could only find about 6 at Lexus and 3 at Toyota. Thanks.
  • user777user777 Posts: 3,341
    if you were so inclined, had approx. $125, and a laptop computer, you could concievably capture some of the toyota specific datum off the OBD-II interface related to the action of the system in response to your throttle/accelerator commands.

for a long time, there have been several of us "regulars" that have wished we were given access to some objective data like this to review and discuss what may be *REALLY* going on.

you'd have to be somewhat computer savvy, be willing to spend some money on the OBD-II interface and software, be familiar with, or know someone familiar with automotive / transmission controls lingo to know what to capture, and patient performing the capture.

here are the links to the web-site which i found by googling: (btw: i am not endorsing the product nor do i know if it will perform the necessary task with any specific vehicle):
    http://www.obd-2.com/

and specifically, with respect to the toyota-specfic parameters it can collect:
    http://www.obd-2.com/toypida.htm

personally, i'd like to apologize for what probably contributed to the actions which the host felt necessary to take making the other forum Read-Only.

this is the best constructive contribution i could make to you. i wish you the best.
    No, I didn't mean lemon law, but that is an option for you. I think there are some people who have succeeded with Lemon Law, just read through some of this site. Toyota has a separate dispute resolution/arbitration program. Read through the Engine Hesitation forum here at Edmunds (closed and is "read-only" now). A poster, bkinblk, reported his arbitration experience. Unfortunately it wasn't resolved in this manner and the last he reported, was proceeding with an attorney. Have you let your attorney know about all the similar cases you have seen on the internet?
  • A new topic has been opened to discussion a Toyota/Lexus transaxle shift delay as it related to ALL models/years/engine types that might be affected by this problem.

So this topic will remain for ES 300 owners specifically who wish to share information and solutions, and the NEW topic would be for anyone interested in the technical characteristics of the problem itself.

Lexus/Toyota Transaxle Shift Delay
  • billranbillran Posts: 113
    Can you help me to find all these complaints at your NHTSA website? I would like to look through them but cannot seem to find the right way to see them all. I could only find about 6 at Lexus and 3 at Toyota. Thanks

I believe that is all that are there.
    The only complaints at your NHTSA place I could find for ES 330 had to do with child seat restraints. For hesitation in both Lexus and Toyota there was one for 2003, a couple for 2004, and the rest were for 2005. There were a few duplicates too where the vin numbers were the same but the complaints were posted on two differtent dates. I counted them as one complait.Maybe I am not looking in the right spots? Should your complaint be there somewhere?
  • user777user777 Posts: 3,341
    for the 2002 es300 model, on the following nhtsa site (link provided below), i've found approx 30 complaints (which i think are unique..they might not all be) related to the transmission, hesitation and shift characteristics of this particular model and year:

In general, the codification of issues, and the search methodology leave much to be desired.

Here's the approximate "click stream" I used in case someone wishes to replicate my results:
    1). http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/complain/complaintsearch.cfm

2). Vehicle | Search Selected Type

3). Year | 2002 (Submit Year)

4). Make: Lexus (Submit make)

5). Model: ES300 (Go)

6). Type: Passenger Type (Submit Make / Model)

7). Component: (there are three related ones to search)
    Power Train
    Power Train AT
    Power Train (PCM / TCM)

I'll be monitoring the new forum established for this issue should someone fail to be able to replicate the results I obtained from the web-site.

Regards.
    I checked the ES330 2005 and found about 15. I did not select a component so that all complaints were listed -- there were some duplicates because some complaints are filed under more than one component. Some of the hesitation problems were listed as engine complaints and some were listed under something like vehicle speed control, so they are not all being filed under the power train or AT. That may be why some are having difficulty finding the complaints.
    user, I went back to the 2002 ES300 and did like I mentioned above, and did not select a component and found more listed under other components. For example, here are two listed as "Vehicle Speed Control":

Make : LEXUS Model : ES300 Year : 2002
    Manufacturer : TOYOTA MOTOR NORTH AMERICA, INC.
    Crash : No Fire : No Number of Injuries: 0
    ODI ID Number : 10093211 Number of Deaths: 0
    Date of Failure: May 11, 2004
    VIN : JTHBF30G825...
    Component: VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL:ACCELERATOR PEDAL
    Summary:
    2002 LEXUS ES300 WITH ABOUT 18,000 MILES HAS A PROBLEM WITH HESITATION WHEN ACCELERATING AFTER SLOWING DOWN, ESPECIALLY AFTER COMPLETING A TURN. IT IS LIKE THE TRANSMISSION DOESN'T ADJUST WITH THE PRESSING OF THE GAS PEDAL. ALMOST HAD AN ACCIDENT BECAUSE OF THE HESITATION. ALSO I HAVE HAD PROBLEMS WITH THE CAR DOWN SHIFTING AS I COME DOWN A HILL. ALSO A PROBLEM WITH THE CAR TRYING TO DECIDE WHAT GEAR TO BE IN WHEN GOING AROUND 20 TO 25 MILES PER HOUR. YOU CAN FEEL THE CAR CHANGE GEAR. PASSENGERS EVEN HAVE ASKED WHAT WAS THAT? COMPLAINED TO DEALERSHIP, AND WAS TOLD IT WAS THE WAY I DRIVE. I HAD THE SB-TC004-03 PERFORMED AFTER RECEIVING THE LETTER FROM LEXUS, BUT IT DIDN'T HELP. MAY HAVE MADE IT WORSE. *AK
    --

Make : LEXUS Model : ES300 Year : 2002
    Manufacturer : TOYOTA MOTOR NORTH AMERICA, INC.
    Crash : No Fire : No Number of Injuries: 0
    ODI ID Number : 764271 Number of Deaths: 0
    Date of Failure:
    VIN : JTHBF30G425...
    Component: VEHICLE SPEED CONTROL
    Summary:
    WE HAVE A SURGE OR SKIP ON DEACCELERATION.THIS WILL HAPPEN FROM 40 TO 60 MPH. THE DEALER WILL ONLY TELL US THEY ARE AWARE OF THE PROBLEM BUT HAVE NO CURE. I FEEL THAT AFTER 7 MONTHS THEY SHOULD HAVE A FIX.*AK