Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Transmission problems with Lexus ES?

Comments

• hylynerhylyner Posts: 216
    Please don't think this is presumptuous guys, but I'm wondering if this is the wrong forum for all this highly technical stuff. I thought that was why Wwesty's forum " Toyota/Lexus Transaxle Shift Delay" was created?
    I honestly think much of what you're talking about here is way over most participant's heads. Besides, it doesn't really leave much room for others to participate.
    Whaddya think? Any thoughts by Mr. Shiftright?
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    300 Gigabytes of disk drive storage for what, under $200? So I very much doubt that there isn't room here for anyone or everyone who wishes to participate, on topic, isn't "free" to do so...
  • This forum is primarily for people who own Lexus ES-300s and are experiencing transmission problems of whatever kind.

If you (or if the Lexus 300 owners) want a more technical discussion they should all be over in the "Shift Delay" discussion.

So if you a)don't own a Lexus 300 and/or you want to discuss the technical aspects of Lexus transmissions, you should be there, not here.

This discussion is intended mostly for people who don't particularly care what is causing the problem but want suggestions on how to get Lexus to fix it or how to arbitrate, etc. (service/consumer issues)

So if you are posting highly technical stuff here you are in the wrong discussion, yes.

thank you, and I hope that clarifies things.

Host
  • user777user777 Posts: 3,341
    if you have a reproducable and acknowleged problem with hesitation in your Lexus ES300 series vehicle:

suggest to your dealership they replace your throttle body assembly and road test the vehicle. if that doesn't work, suggest they replace your accelerator assembly and road test the vehicle.

report success or failure for one or both procedures to mitigate the issue here in this forum or the other forum on "Shift Delay". everyone would benefit by the effort and report.

i trust that if anyone had a problem following a previous post regarding "position encoding", "sticktion", "slop", "non-linearity", "time-slice overrun", etc, they'd either google the terms or ask. i don't presume people aren't able to follow a technical line of reasoning, but understand it may not be of interest to everyone.

unfortunately NOONE is providing definitive information as to WHY the hesitation exists or does not. therefore, there is a great deal of speculation and theorizing on the matter...

a few experiments have been suggested to narrow the problem down, some in a forum which has been marked read-only.

with the two suggestions above, the experiments i have proposed now total at least three. the other involves the use of an OBD-II interface and laptop computer.
  • I like your suggestions, but I can't really do that at this point, because the dealer, the manufacturers rep, and now the manufacturer have all said that there is nothing further they can do to the car, and that the car is operating as designed (which, for the record, I do not accept and have told them so). Thus, I don't believe they would be willing to replace such parts at this point.

And, although I would be open to the experiments - given that I have experienced these symptoms in ALL ES330's I have driven - I'm not too hopeful that replacing these parts would do any good, unless they replaced them with different brands/versions of those parts.

On a side note - I don't mind all this technical talk, but I do not understand most of it. Having said that, I am starting to learn things from it. But, I do appreciate when you guys summarize into action items as you did in the reference post ;)
  • user777user777 Posts: 3,341
    shepali - you indicate you can replicate the behavior in ANY ES330 you can drive. please describe your driving style again, and the scenarios where you can get the vehicle to exhibit the hesitation? in this respect, hesitation is a noticeable delay in the vehicle accelerating after appropriate application of foot pressure on the throttle.

it might be helpful to know if you are giving the vehicle just a little throttle or more.

tell us specifically what you are noticing with respect to the RPMs changing as you apply the throttle in these scenarios.

btw - do you live in an area where there is only one Lexus dealership? i ask because, even if the manufacturer's rep and your primary dealer rep aren't interested in trying anything else, another dealership just might, depending on how you approach them. again, even at your present dealership, you don't know if they are willing to try something else unless you ask (in the right way), and you have said they were working with you... hope you have all the things they did try documented.

lastly, if there is any technical jargon i'm using that is throwing you, as advised by the host, we can discuss it in the shift delay forum.

also know this - because you can repeatedly reproduce the hesitation (if it is a hesitation, not a hard shift for example), then you may be a candidate for the experiment proposed in the shift delay forum.
  • atoewsatoews Posts: 637
    I would suggest that before anyone else wastes a lot of time and energy on this problem, they read the last 3-4 years worth of posts on this thread!

Poster after poster has beaten his or her head against the wall on this particular dead horse! Do a search on poster texas83, for example. He expended all kinds of energy on the problem, pursued the Lemon law and never received a satisfactory resolution to the issue. All he got was a replacement ES300 for his considerable efforts, and of course this did nothing to fix the problem.

Yes, it takes time and energy to read old posts, but not nearly as much time and effort as trying to get Lexus/Toyota to fix a problem that they do not even see as a problem!

These posts provide lessons learned and I can't understand why new posters do not take advantage of this! All I can say is "Geez Louise". Accept that this problem cannot be solved except by a major redesign - which Lexus is not going to do - and move on! Unless you want a major headache from beating it against the wall, that is!

PS - I guess I keep posting on the thread because I am addicted to it or a glutton for punishment or something!! No matter how much I vow to keep away from the thread out of frustration, I keep coming back. :-)
    The service manager at Lexus of Bellevue told me that the really simply way to disable VSC temporarily was to create an engine fault.

So I disconnected the MAF/IAT sensor connector on my 2001 AWD RX300 while the engine was running. The engine died almost immediately and wouldn't restart. When I reconnected the MAF/IAT it started right back up but with an engine & VSC failure indication.

After about 4 drive cycles the indications went out.

So for any of you that are experiencing the extended delay/hesitation symptom if you want to try and see if VSC is somehow related.....
  • I have had my '02 for 6 weeks (34,000 miles on it) And I have not experienced any of the hesitation issues I have been reading about here.When I hit the gas from a stop or at 15 MPH the car takes off. I had an 01 ES and an 01 Maxima and this '02 ES accelerates just as quick. I have only used 87 octane. I did drive 2 '06 ES loaners and I did notice a lag in the response when hitting the gas. My car was first registered in June '02, maybe the early prod vehicles do not show signs of the problem.
    You don't say which your '02 is but the problem only exists, seemingly, with the V6/5-speed.
  • I have the 5 speed auto v6,2002 ES300 - isn't that the only engine available ??
  • billranbillran Posts: 113
    I believe so. It would seem that out of 2,000,000 cars Toyota produced with that drivetrain used on various models for the last four years, only a very small percentage of owners actually report that they detect hesitation. Like me, you have one of the many vehicles that drive great. Enjoy!
  • I actually have read all the posts on this board, as well as a good portion of them on the Engine Hesitation forum that was closed, and the new forum that looks like it was closed too. I did spend many, many hours reading all of them, and found them very helpful. I did see texas83, and I am actually in Texas myself, so was quite discouraged by their results.

I guess I am a glutton for punishment - that I decided to try anyway - but that's all I've gotten so far, is punishment.

But, I'm still trying. Talked to the Lexus area office today, and we're trying to work something out right now. I'm not too hopeful, because it sounds like a whole bunch of what I've already been hearing....but we shall see.
  • I'm not sure I follow....
    That's okay, I think that "road" was a dead end anyway.
  • shepalishepali Posts: 72
    Well, I haven't had time to read the 150+ new posts on the other board that got closed since I was last there...hope to get to that in the next few days.

But, thought I'd give those of you who are left reading about this topic, an update on my saga...

My written complaint/demand to the Lexus Manufacturer (which was a prerequisite of my Lemon Law claim, per my state's laws), has actually piqued some interest. Lexus has made me an offer to buy back my car, and sell me a new Lexus of my choice. I am in the process of evaluating the numbers they gave me to see if its an acceptable deal for me....

Will keep you all posted - in the mean time, the car is just sitting in my driveway collecting dust :(
  • scoti1scoti1 Posts: 676
    Well good luck. If you get in another Lexus you need to test drive the heck out it to make sure it doesn't have the same problem since Lexus/Toyota obviously hasn't fixed this yet. Or maybe go for a model that doesn't have the 5-speed DBW.
    The RWD models, seemingly, do not have this problem. Apparently at least not at the unsafe or hazardous level of 1 or 2 seconds that are more common to FWD or front biased AWD models.