Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Transmission problems with Lexus ES?

Comments

• If the transmission has been reflashed I would go back to the dealer and tell them your still having transmission issues.They have to replace the transaxle if they refuse.I would call Lexus the number will be in your owners manual or the dealership can provide it.05 ES330 is under warranty under the Lexus 7yrs/70,000 mile powertrain warranty.
  • The problems the ES350 are very minor as in a nuisance.The wind noise can be repaired without an issue.The knock noise from engine is normal noise from a timing chain driven vehicle and it only happens at cold start.It's a little rattle cause of no oil in the starting process on the chain.All transmission issues are small and can be handled usually in your first visit to the dealership.The interior rattle noise can also be taken care of in one visit.You have to think of it this way it all depends where in the country your at can affect your vehicle and Lexus is aware of the issue and trying everything to provide repairs.I am a Lexus Tech and trust me all of our customers love their Lexus.
  • revsrevs Posts: 5
    Thank you for your message. Can this also cause the battery to die. I have not driven my car for 1 month and the battery was dead. My husband jump started the car. It seems OK now. Notice too that I have to press my remote key several times and hard to lock and unlock the car.

Terri
  • Further to lexustech1 comments... and maybe he/she has some advice for me...

I bought my used 2005 in Nov 2008 with only 50k. I was impressed with Lexus for all of about 1 week, when I realized the transmission hesitation was not about me. I took it into the dealer and was asked if I was the primary driver, and that it needed to learn my style of driving. Well that impressed me too, never heard of such a thing, but fool me twice… shame on me. After 5k of just me, the damn car had learned nothing. When I brought the car in AGAIN, as if they had never heard of this problem before, they told me reprogramming will fix the transmission problem I was having. I asked twice, will this fix the problem and the service guy said it will be like driving a new car. The dealer flashed and reprogrammed the computer ($150 charge to me) and guess what, it never got better and now at 80k, its even worst. Every time I come to a rolling stop and then start to move forward, as in heavy traffic or 2nd to 3rd gear, it will jump down to 1st gear first and then surge back to 3rd gear. The car will jerk very uncomfortably and there is nothing I can do to prevent it. I don’t know about you but when the transmission jerks like this it is not normal. No new or old car will do this. I could get a whiplash driving this car. I am very very disappointed with Lexus. They have done nothing to address this problem. I was there for this problem inside my 7yr 70k timeperiod, but they obviously tricked me a third time......This is my first and last Lexus and Lexus Dealership.
  • Further to lexustech1 comments... and maybe he/she has some advice for me...

I bought my used 2005 in Nov 2008 with only 50k. I was impressed with Lexus for all of about 1 week, when I realized the transmission hesitation was not about me. I took it into the dealer and was asked if I was the primary driver, and that it needed to learn my style of driving. Well that impressed me too, never heard of such a thing, but fool me twice… shame on me. After 5k of just me, the damn car had learned nothing. When I brought the car in AGAIN, as if they had never heard of this problem before, they told me reprogramming will fix the transmission problem I was having. I asked twice, will this fix the problem and the service guy said it will be like driving a new car. The dealer flashed and reprogrammed the computer ($150 charge to me) and guess what, it never got better and now at 80k, its even worst. Every time I come to a rolling stop and then start to move forward, as in heavy traffic or 2nd to 3rd gear, it will jump down to 1st gear first and then surge back to 3rd gear. The car will jerk very uncomfortably and there is nothing I can do to prevent it. I don’t know about you but when the transmission jerks like this it is not normal. No new or old car will do this. I could get a whiplash driving this car. I am very very disappointed with Lexus. They have done nothing to address this problem. I was there for this problem inside my 7yr 70k timeperiod, but they obviously tricked me a third time......This is my first and last Lexus and Lexus Dealership.
  • percyapercya Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2002 es300 w/21,500 actual miles on Friday. Drove resaonably well until coming backfrom Breckenridge in mts outside of Denver. Went to accelerate and the car "clunked/jumped' stuttered. Violent and pronounced action that scared the bejesus out of wife and passengers. I have read most of the posts here. I truly like all about the car except this serious issue. Can it be fixed or should I just take it to Stevenson Lexus and demand no sale (if possible)
    Also, I can buy an extended warranty. I have not seen info re: if these trannys just eventually fall apart/out or what I should expect, so was wondering if I cant get $$ back would it be advisable to purchase said warranty? Any info you can give me would be great. Thanks.
  • matti2matti2 Posts: 1
    I have Lexus ES 300, after driving it for five miles it starts slowing down , and then it stops. the trans. it doenst engage. i have changed oil serviced transmission, changed coolant. but the problem is still there. is there any way to fix.
  • I have a 2000 Lexus ES300 Premium. Never experienced any transmission problem until last year when I noticed a distinct hesitation. It went away automatically after a few days. Reported it to the dealer who said that I had a dirty air intake valve and cleaning it will fix ithe problem. Apparently it did. This weekend, I noticed serious hesitation and then the car stalled. Would not take any gear - reverse, neutral or drive. Had the car towed to the dealer who says that I need a new transmission. The estimate is $5,000 which is more than the blue book value of the car! Any advice anyone?
  • I have a 2002 Lexus ES, and have had a problem with the car jerking during acceleration and deceleration ever since they upgraded the software. Lexus calls it a "characteristic" of the car. When calling customer support, you have to wait 15 minutes for a person to answer, and then continue to claim there is nothing wrong with the car. The mechanic told me this is a common problem. Was anyone able to get theirs fixed, or some kind of resolution with Lexus factory?
  • ssdasssdas Posts: 1
    I noticed recently on my 2005 80K car that when i start going above 40-50 miles an hour the RPM goes up to between 2-3 thousand and only comes back to just slightly below 2000 RPM when i get up to speed.It seems like its not shifting into the higher gears. Anyone having similar issues? would this be covered by the power train warrranty?
  • Hi:

I just joined here this evening because my wife's 2009 ES350 has the transmission software issue. I happened upon your message: I have a 1996 ES300 which I bought in 2000 which I am in love with! Over 200,000 kilometers and I'm happy!

I had that seat leather seam sewn before it got too bad. I never had a seat belt issue but I understand they are indeed common. From day one, I thought the transmission was odd, but that's only when it's cold. Once warm, no problem. The sunroof leaks a tiny bit in high-power "touch-less" car washes, but's that's it.

Pls fix that seat and keep up with all repairs.....that car is a bloody marvel of engineering. I've heard of '96's flipping end over end at highway speeds and the driver walking away! (I'm a retired cop).

I'm holding out for 500,000 km, myself.

Have a nice day, ok?
  • You're right!

I never get to hear my old lady's 2009 ES350 in the cold a.m. but my '96 ES300 ain't happy until it's warm.

Once we all warm up, no problem

Except for that hiccup in the wife's transmission that supposedly needs a software upgrade. Problem is, I can't find anyone addressing that problem. Have looked all over ...will now reboot and try again.

And you're right....we love both our cars!
  • I have a 1999 ES300. The vehicle shut-down on the road and would not get back into gear. I found a blown charging system fuse, replaced it,disconnected the battery, and started the car. Still no transmission shift and no engine light. Hooked it up to an hand held computer: it reponded "pass" with no codes. Any ideas what to do next?
  • I have exactly the same prob: pls see my post of earlier today. How did you resolve your issue?
  • this is 17 years old car...its time to buy another one...
  • sbandysbandy Posts: 2
    The dealer was surprisingly nice and offered to pick up half the cost. I called Lexus HQ in California and complained that the 2000 ES Series had the Camry transmission instead of the regular Lexus. They picked up the other half of the cost. Still I had to pay for labor which was about $2000.

Continued to have problems since the engine light was coming on. Took it back to dealer who cleaned out the pan for free (still under service warranty). Runs fine now. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I am not sure that I will buy a Lexus again.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    edited January 2011
    Based on the experience of an 11 year old car? You're assuming they are same now as then? The old ES300 was only a jazzed up Camry to start with. I had a 1996, the engine had to be rebuilt at 80,000 miles, which I wasn't thrilled with, but it was the fault of the thermostat, which froze and overheated the engine. Other than that, only minor issues ever happened. Sold it last year at 102,000 miles, and was still happy with it. But my 2009 LS is so improved, I'm not likely to switch any time soon.
  • I have a '99 es300 automatic. When I first start it, it will slide into gear. After a few minutes of going back n forth in my driveway it will only engage if i get the rpms higher, reverse gear better then drive. Then after that, it doesn't engage any gear. There was no warning signs for this prob. No gear crunching or any adverse sounds at all, it just started acting like this one day. My car has 160k miles on it. I bought it used, so i don't know the history of the car. Any advice out there as to what this may be? I did a trans fluid flush and that did nothing.
  • wme2wme2 Posts: 5
    These were the same symptons that were on my 2001 rx300. I also flushed the trans. and 3 months later my trans was shot. I also own a 1998 es300 with 140K mi. I had a full tune up, timeing belt and trans flush at 107,000. I may change the trans fluid again. My es runs great no problems.
  • wme2wme2 Posts: 5
    Looks like my time was up. On Mon. Feb 28, my CEL came on and my wife said the car hesitated when she was stopped at a stop sign. I took it straight to my mechanic. He said that the 2 shift solenoids were bad. He replaced them and changed the trans fluid for $500.