Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poor mileage acceptable to Toyota

124»

Comments

• rlafaverrlafaver Posts: 70
    Everyone in my family considers me lead-footed. I only tried the low-rev thing as an experiment, knowing I would never stick to it, even if it improved mileage. It did not, so I am happily driving as I always have. Ordinary accelleration is usually under 2500 when unhindered, but I now allow the engine to exceed 3000 when turning onto a major highway in traffic. I have even pushed 4000 just to see how the engine reacts. It is good.
  • dieselbreathdieselbreath Posts: 243
    I think that if you're an "average" driver you normally won't get the rated MPG, unless you live somewhere rural where you drive a lot on secondary roads with 50 MPH limits. Keeping up on the freeway demands performance outside of the scope of the EPA fantasy-world.
    And the lead-foot tendencies play a huge factor, of course. That's one of the reasons I really like diesels ... they are built to drive foot-to-the-floor and still return good MPG. (and its harder to get into trouble with the law!)
  • lagitanelagitane Posts: 25
    So what deisel do you drive, and what would you recommend for someone on a very moderate budget. My step Father drives a big honking Ford Deisel and loves it, but price is way over my head. Any decent moderate priced ones out there you'd recommend? Toyota doesn't even make one that I'm aware of.
  • dieselbreathdieselbreath Posts: 243
    Well, you're almost out-of-luck in the US for a couple more years. Once the lower-sulphur diesel fuel is available (in 2006 ? I think) there should be more choices. I drive a VW New Beetle TDI, mostly because I'm 6'5" and it has more headroom than any other car on the market, but also because I was driving between Vancouver BC and Seattle WA at least 4 times a month when I bought it. (it has over 150,000 on the odometer now) ... 50+ MPG at 80+ MPH is hard to beat! (none of the hybrids can do that) I also have a big Chevy 5-ton truck with a CAT V8 diesel, and I had a Toyota Landcruiser Diesel in the past. The Landcruiser is a phenomenal rig ... but I don't think they've sold the diesel ones for several years now.
    But the Jeep Liberty is avail. in a diesel (for 2004) and the VW Passat (sedan and wagon) also for 2004. But I haven't heard of any small pickups yet. Your current rig is probably almost as good as it gets!
  • eharri3eharri3 Posts: 645
    IF Toyota owners have nothing better to do than post about 2-3 mpg gas mileage discrepancies, maybe they dont realize how lucky they are.
  • moparbadmoparbad Posts: 3,842
    I have 2003 Tacoma V6 4WD Xcab and my last tank of fuel provided 21 mpg. As I get more miles on the truck the mileage has improved. Strange is the fact that this truck gets better mpg when it is driven a little hard.

re #65 the Liberty will not be available until 05 model year and as of last week VW is stating Passat TDI in sedan only initially and even then not until Feb. 04 at earliest. What is Toyota doing to improve MPG on it's trucks? I see no plans for hybrids and Toyota has no plans on bringing a diesel for it's Tacoma or Tundra. Even though Toyota already offers multiple excellent diesels for the Tacoma outside of North America.

Until something better shows up the Tacoma is the best option available in compact light truck and Tundra is a competitive choice in full size.
    Toyota might have spoiled some body, but they haven't spoiled me. This is my first. When I buy a new vehicle, any new vehicle, I expect the truth on the sticker mileage. I paid for it, and I want every dime's worth. As far as all the other smoke is concerned, the only reasons so far that I can say the truck is worth the cost is the handling, the quietness, and the power (considering it is a 4 cylinder). The handling is the best I've experienced on a pickup. However, the mileage sucks, the seats suck, the paint flakes off like it was painted with moisture on the truck, the paint is orange peeled as badly as I have ever seen a new vehicle, and on and on. I bought the thing, and I will live with it, but I just got back from a business trip tonight, and my back hurts too badly to get in bed. Guess I will have to drop another $700 for after-market seats. Where is the spoiling, eharri3?
    I got Recaro seats for this Tacoma, and they look and feel like they were made for it. What an amazing seat. Firm, comfortable, and absolutely silent (NO SQUEAKS). The down side - $1770 for driver and passenger, and that is the low side on pricing for Recaro Trend seats. There should be a law that Toyota refund the money for the crappy seats they stick in Tacomas. I would ship them back in a heartbeat.
124»
This discussion has been closed.