Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Porsche Boxster and Boxster S

Comments

• thor8thor8 Posts: 303
    If you are looking for moral support I am willing to help you, you only live once, right?
    How much is satisfaction and pleasure worth? A dollar? A million? A….. what? Who knows, this life can be pretty crappy sometimes, if you were able to acquire a new S enjoy every moment, take it to the countryside, find you some nice hilly curvy roads, savor every mile, get some fresh air on weekends, tomorrow nothing is promised to you, play hard and above all work harder and be smart and you make up for it, how about that!.
    All that Mr Shiftright said is very true, especially the last sentence.

Enjoy the curves and I mean all if you know what I mean.
  • chile96chile96 Posts: 330
    The guilt has mostly dissipated...thanks goodness. Now a second wave is hitting me as I'm trying to find full coverage insurance - being a single male with one claim in 2002 isn't helping. Surprisingly AllState has been the best with $2180/yr so I guess I'm heading that way. Anyway, I have my delivery appt tomorrow for them to officially prep the car and go over all the bells & whistles with me. The car came with the 17" Boxster S II wheels which are fine but I really like the Light Carrera 18" wheels - easier to see the red calipers and make the car appear even more sporty(if possible). I'm sure the dealer would just charge me the difference for the upgrade(~$1300), anybody think it's worth it? Anybody had good or bad experiences with those 18's?

thanks for any feedback
    fo
  • thor8thor8 Posts: 303
    No is not worth it in my opinion.

17 are good enough, you want some rubber to cushion, there is point when too much is too much, personally I think this new wheels in vogue today don’t look good, reminds me of a Conestoga wagon wheel, all spokes and no rubber and gives the impression of not being much substance to the wheels, just an opposing view.

You can always change your wheels, give you some time, why not instead invest a small fraction of that and buy you some good waxes, leather conditioner, clay bar etc.

P.S. When the car is rolling the calipers are very visible.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,111
    When the Boxster first came out in '97 (I believe), I wasn't a big fan of it. Admittedly I never drove one and still haven't to this day. Obviously driving this car is what all the fuss (and fun) is about. Most every Boxster I see is either Silver/Black or Dark Blue/Beige with the dreaded (for me anyway) Tiptronic Transmission.

The Boxster S came out and the minor styling cues seemed to appeal more and more to me. When I started to see the '03 changes with the revised front fascia along with the Red Brake Calipers & Twin Outlet Exhaust, I really started to put the Boxster S on my wishlist:)

Make mine Speed Yellow with a black top, black interior, and of course, a 6 speed.

I'm sure a lot of people bought the Boxster in the beginning because it was an "entry level" Porsche. There are some genuine Boxster enthusiasts out there who love the fact that their car is light and extremely well balanced. Couple the excellent driving dynamics with a handsome exterior and the fact that it is indeed a true Porsche and I may have found a great car to but and hold on to for the long run.

I'm probably a good 5-7 years away (maybe sooner, you onloy go around once) from buying a Boxster S, but I'm sure Porsche will continue to make evolutionary changes to this great car.

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• highenderhighender Posts: 1,362
    Glad to hear you are enjoying it . We loved the car, and my kids loved to move the top . What shifty and thor8 said was 100 percent supported by me. You have an awesome vehicle and toy that you can use to go from point A to B. I'd rather be in the Boxster rather than the Yugo. As for wheels, they may not feel much different in ordinary driving. 17 " may even cushion some bumps, while still providing lateral Gs of 0.94.
  • jawdocjawdoc Posts: 6
    Bought it new and have not regretted it at all. Great fun and more reliable than I had hoped. 18" carrera style wheels, silver with black int. and heated seats/lumbar support. Great machine!
    Lots of cargo room for average number of errands. Great gas mileage on the highway and very, very quick.

Only one gripe which Porsche has since rectified...plastic rear window...hell in the rain.

Has anyone out there purchased extended warr. and where??
    Well after 6 wks of ownership of my new '03S, my face is starting to hurt from the ear to ear grin I can't seem to get rid of. I decided to get the 18" carerra wheels, add the nonsmoker pkg, and replace the amber turn signals with clears. Thanks to all for the initial support and help; I have never owned a car before where I get excited just going to the store! Just yesterday I drove 25 minutes to pick up a pizza when there was another pizza store around the corner from my house. My significant other thinks I'm crazy; she just doesn' understand.

TO all those on the fence, JUMP and go for it.....especially with all the discounts on the '03s now.

Take Care
    fo
  • Hello.everyone,
    Will welcome some feedback re installing a hardtop. My Boxster S 02 is great but is a hassle with the plastic window at the back. Demands frequent cleaning. Got a quote of 3200. for hardtop purchase only. What do you think? Worth it?
  • For the reason you state (difficult to clean plastic window), I say not worth it. With the hardtop, you have to take it off every time you want a top-down experience. Now, for cold, winter driving, that's different...would be a useful option.

If you're leaning towards a coupe, have you considered trading in your S for a 996? Or an 03 Boxster S, which has the glass rear window?
  • I think you need a better reason than frequent cleaning of the plastic window to justify $3,200 and the problem of installing/removing/storage. It doesn't seem worth it for just that problem, at least not to me, if you don't mind my saying.
    I've seen used ones go for ~$1500. Even if it's not the right color, you can get it professionally painted for a total less than $3200. They are probably demanding a high premium now(winter's around the corner) so I bet you could get a smoking dealnext Feb/Mar!

good luck
    fo
  • andys120andys120 Loudon NHPosts: 16,400
    put the top down, it really improves visibility:^)
  • Not only that, it cures all squeaks, rattles and noises!
  • Thanks for the feedback. I think I will just enjoy it as a convertible now.
  • ek01ek01 Posts: 37
    I am considering the purchase of a late model Boxster for all year driving. Our family has an SUV for practical purposes but I would like to drive a convertible for myself. Is anyone driving the Boxster in winter in regions with snowfall ( I am in Toronto ) and if you are, can you tell me whether the driving is manageable in snow (with snow tires).
  • The radio in my '03 Boxster has bad reception. Is this a common phenomenon with Boxsters?
  • I'm looking at purchasing a '01 Boxster S for year round driving in the Midwest and was curious if there was anyone out there with experience driving in the snow/rain w/ or w/o snow tires and if so which snow tires you'd recommend. Thx.
  • sailnfast - The Boxster is excellent in the rain on standard factory tires. I can attest to that from my own experience.

As for winter driving...first I have to ask...do you have an alternative vehicle to use? Second, if you want to take the S out in the snow, you MUST have winter tires. Summer performance tires will not get any traction in the snow or slush.

An excellent choice, in my opinion, is the Dunlop SP Winter Sport M2. It's highly rated in Consumer Reports, and the TireRack.com states that it's not only 100% Porsche-approved, but also recommended by Audi, MB and others. I've owned Dunlops before and think they make fine tires.

A long-standing choice for Porsches is the Bridgestone Blizzak (LM-22 would the the top model for a Boxster, I think, but I'd check that out).

Another thing to consider is buying a set of steel wheels for the winter. Saves on rebalancing costs and you won't damage your nice wheels with winter salt, etc. You might want to get a hardtop, if you don't have one already. They look sharp on the Boxster, too, imo.
  • ds2k1ds2k1 Posts: 101
    just picked up my brand new '03 boxster s on 12/31. because it was end of year, and dealerships are trying hard to get rid of '03s, got an amazing deal. got a $56k sticker car for $45k even. couldn't possibly turn that deal down, especially since there's no change from '03 to '04. the car is an absolute pleasure to drive, and i've already driven it in both rain and clear weather, top up and top down. man, porsche has really got this car thing figured out. can't imagine ever going back. but i still have the 911 to look forward to down the road (knocking on wood as i type this!).