Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Porsche Boxster and Boxster S

1394041424345»

Comments

• I'm considering buying a used Porsche Boxster or Boxster S, and have become aware of the intermediate shaft (IMS) bearing failure problem that has destroyed some M96 and M97 engines.
    I also understand that the later 9A1 (aka MA1) engine design is much simpler, having no intermediate shaft or IMS bearing to fail. My question is: When I'm looking over a used Porsche as a potential buyer, how can I tell, unambiguously, whether the engine in the car is a M96, a M97 or a 9A1 design?

P.S. I've got conflicting information regarding which model year cars were built with the different engines.
  • 2009 and up should have the 9A1 engine.

However, there are retrofit kits available for the earlier engines.

you can test for IMS bearing failure by cutting the oil filter in half and looking for tell-tale debris. If you catch it in time, you can install the upgrade kit (something like $3,000 installed).

Most IMS bearing failures recorded come from 1997-2004 cars. So it's unlikely, but not impossible, that a 2004-2008 engine will do this. In fact there are many 1997-2004 engines that have been driven hard for 200,000 miles and have never had a failure. This is why sawing the oil filter in half is a good way to check.

Also, on a Boxster you can pretty much count on clutch failure around 80,000 miles. In fact, you should budget for it.

By all means get an "S" if you can afford it. The regular 2.7 is not that fast.
  • yaa oil chnage is necesary.otherwise it wil decrease my car milage.bt the oil filters can be interchanged if they are same depending upon the cars.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,095
    Habitat - nice to hear your impressions of the new Boxster S. and also, good to see you still hanging out at town hall my friend;)

2001 Honda Prelude Type SH/ 2011 BMW 328xi / 2011 Honda Pilot EX-L w/ Navigation

• fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    +1 Habitat.

Still wishing for that S3000 I see.

I also appreciate your review of the Boxster S. A beautiful car in so many ways - amd arguably the best car in Porches current lineup.

I do think, like all current Porsches, it has gotten too big. It makes my 993 look like a toy (in a good way).