Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Subaru Crew: Suggestions for Subaru

Comments

• rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,661
    Mark, I'm going on the (unrealistic?) hope that the Baja survives, and that if so, this would be planned for and engineered into an all-new model from day one. So no, I don't see this happening with the current model.

"Nice feature?" I think "Key feature" would be a better term. I think the Baja needs this to be standard as it would be a major selling point. One of the biggest complaints about the Baja, as it currently stands, is that it's not very practical, in that the bed is not secure from thieves. This roll-top cover would go a long way to ease that concern.

It offers the best of both worlds: an open bed (when needed) and a large secure trunk (when needed).

Bob
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    No doubt. In fact there's no way I could sell my wife on the idea unless it had something like that.

I'd want some other changes, too, though - like more passenger space.

-juice
  • bat1161bat1161 Posts: 1,784
    Bob,

I agree with you regarding the security concerns from day one. The first time I showed the Baja to my wife she commented that without some sort of secure locking top, it was impractical for someplace like NYC. Back in Jan when we did the 48hrs drive, one of the drivers had a Turbo Baja with a home made pad locked top. A secure top has been demanded from the beginning.

Personally I've found the Baja to be appealling, but for my actual use it would need room for 5, along with the secure top. Till such time as Subaru has something like that I'll stick with my OB.

Mark
    My wife too! That was her first comment/complaint! What is it with wives; juice's wife, your wife, and my wife??? :)

Bob
  • ladywclassladywclass Posts: 1,684
    we shop .. we want a place to put our stuff out of view of potential thieves ...

we have kids' stuff ... we want a place to put their stuff out of view of potential thieves ...

we have purses ... we like our vehicles to 'enclose' our stuff like our purses ...

heck .. who knows? ... my cover is 'broken' on my OBW and i hate that i have no 'hiding' place
    Actually Brenda, I think wives just have more common sense than us guys. ;)

Bob
    I guess we should call them.

I think men envision hauling lumber, mulch, stone, etc. Cave men are we. :-)

The wives are just practical and know what will really go in there most of the time - groceries.

-juice
  • rangnerrangner Posts: 336
    As we all know, subaru is researching a boxer diesel. I found this interesting article about another opposed diesel engine design. Maybe Subaru is looking into this possibility as well.

link title

Advanced Propulsion Technologies Inc., in conjunction with FEV Engine Technology, designed the generator, which is about the size of a large briefcase. Its four pistons — two in each cylinder — operate under the opposed-piston, opposed-cylinder principle (OPOC), which leverages improvements to the 2-stroke cycle to generate thermal efficiency in excess of 41%.

The OPOC design, says FEV, generates extraordinary power density. A turbocharged 2-cyl. prototype generates 325 hp and 590 lb.-ft. (800 Nm) of torque at 2,000 rpm, yet weighs just 270 lbs. (123 kg).

Eric
  • You got your wish for the NAV bit at least. VDC, LL Bean and XT limited outbacks will now be available with NAV...I just saw the first one today, it looks good
    True, but unfortunately only with automatic trannys (except the Legacy Spec B). Are you saying they are now starting to arrive at dealers?

Bob
    Color me converted.

I used to be in the camp that didn't ask for NAV, but after sampling one for a few days I want it! And not just on the priciest models, how 'bout offering on a Legacy 2.5i Limited? Or a Forester X Limited?

So far it'll only be available with the H6 or turbo engines, I'd like to see it offered on some 4 cylinder models as well.

-juice
    This feature should be an option on every Subaru sold. It should not be just restricted to their priciest models.

Sooner or later some car company in the market segments Subaru competes in will do just that. I just hope Subaru is the first to do so.

Bob
    At just over $20k, why not an Outback Sport?

-juice
    Yep, and this is a perfect example. BigElm just got a new Mazda3, so Subaru customers do cross-shop Mazdas and other FWD cars.

Bob
  • bigelmbigelm Posts: 995
    Yep. Granted, it's not touch screen but it's just as functional. Too bad I couldn't locate one with NAV but they ARE selling; hence the reason I couldn't find one. Mazda didn't think it would be such a popular request but they're not complaining.

I say Subaru needs to cover these "little" areas if they are seriously trying to compete in this segment. As a matter of fact, just do like Mazda does... I got the SP 2.3 which adds, leather, moonroof, LED rear lights (hatchback model only), rain sensor, xenons, auto on/off headlights, 17"wheels and some other goodies at a very attractive price.

That's good for people like me, who are buying a house and don't have much money to spare ;) Not to mention, keeping in touch with those who want a fun, reliable car without the "upscale" price. Come on Subaru!!!
  • dino001dino001 Tampa, FLPosts: 3,475
    Do you expect it fro free, do you think you'll be ready to pay for it? Add all those gizmos to the base price of Impreza RS/OB Sport and you'll end up with the bill of some $25K sticker, say $22-23 discount. In WRX you'll push $30/$28 respectively. This is dangerously close to "fully loaded" 6-cyl Camcord area. I also like "stuff", and am not a big fan of Camcord bunch, so it may have some appeal to me, too, but how many of us are out there? According to their scientific research, probably not more than five, since Subaru just dropped manual on their Legacy GT/GT Ltd wagon (which effectively put those cars outside of my interest, but who cares about some strange guy talking with a funny accent :( ).

2012 BMW 328i wagon, manual and sports package. No. sold in the US: 1. Probably.

We'd be ready to pay. I found the feature extremely useful, and we tend to look at base models.

-juice
  • bigelmbigelm Posts: 995
    This is my problem with the way people think. If Subaru offered at least 'some' of the competitor's features or have them as options; there are people who are willing to pay just because they believe in Subaru (like myself). But when reality kicks in, then who isolates themselves, the consumer or Subaru?

Just offer it, even as options for base models, and people will pay! That's everyone's beef with Subaru, they just don't offer it and if they do, it's just high end models. Yeah.. that doesn't work for those who don't need to spend top dollar to get these little 'gizmos' or whatever you want to call it.

If they have the itch to move upmarket, then it's not like they can't offer it to other trim models.
    http://www.06grandvitara.com/

I sure hope the next generation Forester is like this new Grand Vitara:

• Full-size spare
    • Full time AWD, high and low ranges that lock in 4WD, and Neutral.
    • Traction Control
    • ESP
    • IFS/IRS
    • True off-road capability.
    • 5-speed automatic

While it's not mentioned on this teaser site, I suspect it has 3000 pounds towing, as that's what the current XL7 has. The 2.7L 185 HP V6 is more powerful than the the Forester H-4, but less so than Subie turbos or the H-6. It seems to be a very good compromise in size and power.

This site mentions the Rav4, so I think it's save to assume the Forester is also a target vehicle for this Suzuki.

Bob
    I looked at the GV site again, and it does mention 3000 pounds towing. This sounds like an outstanding upgrade of the old model (granted the old model wasn't much to brag about).

Bob
This discussion has been closed.