Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Good, Bad or Ugly - Current and Future styling trends of BMW

Comments

• kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    "However, ugly is ugly,"

You just might want to add: IMHO

Case dismissed and court is adjourned.
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    Say what you want. Meanwhile E60 sales are up, E60 chat rooms are thriving with Bangle idulation and BMW is laughing all the way to the bank.
    Even if you don't care for the design you could admit that Bangle had the courage to not go with BORING!
    So the E90 that you got with those hideous taillights is beauty in your eyes?
    Now that is truly ugly IMHO and every time I see one I can't stop LMAO.
    I would like to chat more but there is a nice smooth interstate about a mile away that I just have to Bangleize now that everyone is home watching football. :)
  • bmwdougbmwdoug Posts: 248
    Obviously, the people who feel the car is ugly are in the minority, and a very small minority. If the car was so ugly, then sales would have gone down. Sales would have gone down, because a majority of people are NOT going to buy an ugly car. But, sales are up, so a vast majority of people feel the car is classy.

For the record, I think the design of the E39 was classy, and I think the design of the E60 is classy. I like them both, so I have no bias one way or the another. I also do not currently own a BMW, so again, no built in bias.

Looks are very subjective and everyone has a valuable opinion when it comes to looks. Each person's opinion is correct for that person; it is their opinion. But; on a whole, car success is measured by sales. No sales means no business, which means there will be no profits. Sales of the E60 are up. There is no disputing the aforementioned fact. Thus, there are a very large number of people who like the design, which means it is not a bad design, but a very good design. Bad design equals sales decline, while a good design equals sales increase. The market speaks for itself.

Some people on this board may not like the new design. It is there right to hold that opinion. Just as it is the right of the people on this board to say the new design is good. Opinions are opinions and facts are facts. The facts show sales are up. Thus, the vast majority of people like the design. BMW made a bold move and it worked. Profits are up! Profits are the measuring stick of all companies. BMW and all of their designs are looking good.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    "Even if you don't care for the design you could admit that Bangle had the courage to not go with BORING!"

No argument there, then again, I even applauded GM for having the chutzpah to do the Aztek. Nuff said.

Regarding the E90, nope, didn't get one, although I would if it fit my new driving profile. Most likely my next new ride is going to be an A3 2.0T 6-Speed manual. Regarding the taillights on the E90, yup, not the strongest design feature of the E90, but still better than either end of the E60, IMHO. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Sales are up? I keep seeing that statement, however, my question is, "Up over what?" The last year of the E39 was its seventh model year and eighth year of production, and golly gee what a surprise, its last year was not its strongest. I'm thinking the real question is, "How does the new E60 fare percentage wise compared to other cars in its segment?" My understanding is that when based upon that metric, the E60 is not as successful as the E39, in fact, it's not even close.

In the end its "different strokes for different folks", and the E60 ain't doin' it for me.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    I thought you were planning a family trip to Bavaria to pick up an E90.
    I have my sights on the Audi S4 Avant after I return the 545i in 2.5 years.
    The practicality of a wagon and the handling of a sports car. Heaven!
    If I skip 2 breakfasts, 3 lunches and 1 dinner a week for that time period, I should have enough saved for the gas. :)
    "I thought you were planning a family trip to Bavaria to pick up an E90."

Yeah, that was the plan; however, I picked up a new contract this year that now has me driving about 100 miles per day. Prior to this I've consistently averaged less than 15,000 miles per year and as such my company has leased my last five cars for me. Now that I'm driving at a rate of well over 25,000 miles per year, our accountants have a different formula for the financial criteria for my next car, and as providence would have it, a nicely optioned A3 fits that criteria quite nicely.

The only real down side is that the trip to Bavaria with the family is going to have to get put off for a few years. :-(

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    "I even applauded GM for having the chutzpah to do the Aztek. Nuff said."

I disagree with that subtext that basically is alluding to the fact the car manufacturers have the gall to produce outright ugly (sic) cars. The E60 is by no stretch ugly and is in fact quite handsomem (IMHO), the Aztec is downright ugly (again IMHO of course).

Audi's design direction is where BMW left off, and I'm finding their newer designs a little boring.
    The Aztek really looks like it was produced for an unsuccessful PhD geometry dissertation.
    IMHO, of course.
  • chuck1959chuck1959 Posts: 654
    Are you REALLY serious? I loke it very much.
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    BMW's coupes it seems have always been something special to me. Not sure if this means anything in particular but two girls I dated right after high-school both were connected to BMW coupes. One girl's father had a Red 635CSi that I swore I'd buy from him once I got grown - he wrecked it a few years after that. The other one had a brother with an 850i (also red), not sure what happend to her, him or the car.

Anyway, a bit of news. One of my favorite BMWs (that most people dislike) has finally been approved for Motorsporthood:

The M Roadster

This is going to be hot!

M
  • jlbljlbl Posts: 1,333
    Sorry, because of time constrictions I haven't had the moment to enter in recent interesting discussions here. But I would prompt one if you would like to follow me.

It is now the 50th anniversary of one of the most ugly but appealing cars in automobile history (IMO), the Citroën DS. Truly an icon. I'm adding some pictures of it below in this post.

I am not fully comparing the Citroën DS to the new BMW 5 Series. But when I said in other posters some time ago that the new 5 Series was a very attractive design despite its being kind of rude/ugly I was thinking in designs like that of the Citroën DS. My point is that soft beauty is often not necessary for a successful design.

http://www.terra.es/personal/joranjo/fotos-mito/cartefacecopy.jpg
    http://www.terra.es/personal/joranjo/fotos-pres/uneds.jpg
    http://www.terra.es/personal/joranjo/fotos-mito/carteintcopy.jpg
    http://www.terra.es/personal/joranjo/

Regards,

José
    ;)
    Jose,

I know you're a racing fan. This is sorta off topic, but what do you think Mercedes chances are for actually winning F1 next year instead of being second place? It appears they pulled out a last min win in DTM to clinch the championship.

M
  • designmandesignman Posts: 2,129
    Merc, the Lexicans started off the week by ruining my Monday, now you are doing a number on my Tuesday. You should probably post the Z4 coupe and get it over with. That thing is a troll to beat all trolls. Shipo invoked the Aztek to make a good point. I’d like to elaborate but all I will say right now is that I think the Aztek has better styling qualities than the Z4 and E60 5. Mercy, you’re breaking me heart.

;-)
    Yeah and chickens have lips.
    Whoa...... :surprise:

I knew I was in a minority on the Z4, but I had no idea you felt that badly about it! I am so sorry...lol. It seems we had this same rift about the 5-Series?

Lexicans? I like that.

M
  • jlbljlbl Posts: 1,333
    merc1,

McLaren/Mercedes should have many chances to win the F1 championship because they have their actual car—which has been the quickest car in the second half of the season—to be developed for the 2005/6 season. However, Renault and Ferrari are not to be discarded. Ferrari will work hardly to overpass its shame this season. Yet Ferrari ended in third position in the F1 constructors championship, that is, when taking into consideration the results of the two cars of each Team (in that, #1 was Renault and #2 was McLaren/Mercedes, like in the pilots championship). In turn, Renault has had the second car in terms of power but the first one in reliability. It has managed to win both, the absolute (pilots) and constructors championships.

Next year the rules will change again an the engines will be of 8 cylinders instead of 10 as they were this year. Renault has had a series of wins in the past with 8 cyl. engines. So, Renault has solid ground. On the other hand, BMW has parted with Williams to buy Sauber and then become, like Renault, the full boss of the chasis and engines of its cars. May be Bar/Honda will enter the top competition too. The feeling is, next season will be very competitive.

José
    :shades:
  • chuck1959chuck1959 Posts: 654
    Hey don't worry about that, it is butt ugly. We all have a right to our own opoinon. You mean the 5 series is ugly too?
  • Never thought I would end up in this forum, but here I am.

:P

I do not hate BMWs or anything, but mostly dislike them due to their apparent reliability issues (electronic and such) and new ugly styling (plus, the consoles are soo dated!).

Not a fan of the new 3-series styling, especially its nose and rear end. The headlights and grille don't match up well when looked at head on; same goes for the 6-series. The new M roadster looks gorgeous, though, and is by far my favourite BMW.

I love the look of the new 5-series sedan, but the interior is absolutely hideous; door handles look like spaghetti.

Something is really wrong with BMW's new styling, minus the M roadster, and 5-series (exterior only).

(I don't think I would mind the new 3 in black, though, but that interior doesn't do anything for me and I don't want it doing any unexpected 720 degree spins on me while I drive it.)

Meh....(seems uncoordinated).
This discussion has been closed.