Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Good, Bad or Ugly - Current and Future styling trends of BMW

Comments

• shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    " I have said quite a few times on BMW threads that the E39 just looked like a bigger 3. Once I saw one and thought it was a 3, but was surprised to see "525" on the back."

Hmmm, I never once mistook an E39 for either an E36 or E46 (or an E90 for that matter). Not once.

"The 5 was well overdue for a fresh new look."

That is a point I won't argue, the E39 was produced during nine different calendar years (1995 through 2003), and as good as it looks and as timeless as its design is proving to be, it was a little long in the tooth by the time it was retired. That having been said, BMW totally lost me with both the Dame Edna schnozzle and the Bangle Butt. Yeesh!

I saw a spy photo of what is purporting to be the new 2009 7-Series a day or two back and I cannot tell you how glad I am to see that car has been returned to a clean look from forced garishness of the current design. I can only hope the next generation 5-Series follows suit.

Best Regards (from the loyal opposition),
    Shipo
  • bdkinnhbdkinnh Posts: 292
    >"At least now, there is no possibility of mistaking a 2006 5 for a 3."

True, but now if I see one from a distance from the front and can't see the logo, I confuse it for a Pontiac.

(ducking) :)
    >"I saw a spy photo of what is purporting to be the new 2009 7-Series a day or two back"

Do you still have the link? I'd love to see it.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Beat me to the punch, I was just gonna post it as well. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Thanks, Rich545!

Hmmm.... not bad looking. The best thing I like about it is BMW's willingness to tone things down a bit. Still don't like the headlights, though.

One thing I'd love to see is a touchscreen instead of the bottlecap. We'll see.

Thanks again.
  • rich545rich545 Posts: 386
    I'll tell ya, if BMW could, as you said, tone down the 7 and 5 a bit so it was more pleasing to both camps the competition would be in real trouble. The 7 as it is now is the best-selling 7 in the history of the line and the E60 has really come on strong as well. So if BMW could get back at least some of the people that were turned of by the new designs the other car manufacturers would have their hands full. Particularly cars like the Infiniti M, the A6 and the E would be affected IMHO. I wouldn't mind a touchscreen either. My father-in-law has the Honda Ridgeline, and it's touchscreen is great. Now if Honda can do that in a much cheaper car, I would think that BMW could in their cars. But neither MB or Audi's systems are touchscreen either so maybe Germans don't like that??? ONe thing I love in the A8 is the wood door that covers the screen BTW. It would be nice if the iDrive screen was a little less obvious.
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    No need to duck.
    I will allow you one "get out of jail free" card. ;)
    a functioning touch screen, I would hope BMW engineers address a much more important problem, IMO-an ergonomically functional cup holder.
    to BMW toning down the 5 series design if it will appease the folks who want one and are turned off by the styling.

Give 'em credit for boldly going where no BMW has gone before.
    >"One thing I love in the A8 is the wood door that covers the screen"

My Dad has an A8L (he's 72), and for that demographic I think hiding the screen works well since he's not likely to mess around with stuff too much. I have a touchscreen in my GS, and I love it (that part of it, anyway). I'm always using it to flip around the XM stations, plus it's great for entering NAV destinations.

If BMW put a touch screen in their cars, I think you'd see a lot of the iDrive complaining stop.
    >"I would hope BMW engineers address a much more important problem, IMO-an ergonomically functional cup holder."

Hmmmm... if I had to pick one, a good cup holder or a touch screen.... I'd probably take the touch screen, but it would be close.

>"Give 'em credit for boldly going where no BMW has gone before."

Agreed. The E60 is distinctive and original.
    Yeah. That was tongue in cheek.

I too would prefer a good touch screen. At the very least, get the radio tuning function out of IDrive! What a dumb idea! You wonder who is making these decisions. Hasn't anybody in Corporate tried to tune in or input into memory a new radio station frequency when going from one area to another?
    it's a major project and a big mistake!

You have now earned a second "GOOJF" card for being so agreeable! ;)
    >"You have now earned a second "GOOJF" card for being so agreeable!"

I'll leave it to you to keep track of the balance in my account. ;)
  • I had initially thought when I saw the new style direction that BMW was going on was ugly. Rounded hips, hot wheels front end and do not even bring up the trunk. Then I started to really take a decerning eye to the style and now I have determined that the new 7 series, has become a racy version of the Volvo S80. Don't shoot the messenger, there are a lot of cars on the road now that have the igor hump trunk look, I just thought I would never see Volvo lead the world in a styling direction in my life time. I always thought that the previous generation 5 and 7 series cars where the most elegant on the road. They had a CEO style to go with a heavy metal ability. It does not bode well for auto design in general when cars begin to look like cartoons. I stopped watching those 25 years ago and I really don't think I want to drive one today. :confuse:
  • bmw24bmw24 Posts: 1
    Hey, we have a 1995 BMW 7 Series it has been running great for 11 years and still looks very sharp. The new 7 series is a little more sleek looking. We got ours during the period when they were doing away with the boxy headlights and putting more of a curve on them. IT is a GREAT car, not much has ha to be changed. It is a V-8 and still the smoothest ride I have yet to experience. BMW truly is the ultamite driving machiene. And to comment on the idrive system, though i do not have that operation in my car i think touch screen or not it is very helpful. AND THE REASON THEY PUT THE LITTLE BOTTLE CAP KNOB INSTEAD OF THE TOUCH SCREEN IS BECAUSE YOU DON'T HAVE TO MOVE YOUR HANDS AS FAR BECAUSE THE KNOB IS RIGHT THERE NEXT TO YOUR SEAT, IF IT WAS TOUCH SCREEN AND YOU WERE DRIVING THEN IT WOULD BE SORT OF DIFFICULT TO REACH OUT THERE AND MAINTAIN QUALITY DRIVING... DUH. Anyway it is an all over great car!!!
    Yeah but with iDrive, one still has to look at the screen to see what you are inputting and the last I heard, that could definitely have an impact on "quality driving."
  • lexus460llexus460l Posts: 51
    I just bought a BMW 750 Li and I think that it's great execpt for the fact that the navigation is a little complicated to work, i bought an almost fully loaded one so it has all of the gadgets
  • deweydewey Posts: 5,243
    Pardon my delayed response. I am just a transient who infrequently visits various forums.

Regarding the 09 7 series if looks could kill this one wont even kill an ameoba.

If your driving desire in life is blandness then the 09 7 series looks perfect.

It ceases to amaze me how Lexus is looking more Bangle-like and how future BMWs are looking more Camry-like. An ominious trend for BMW in my opionion but certainly not for Lexus.
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    I have no idea why you replied to my post from so long ago with shouts. No idea what you're talking about.

M
This discussion has been closed.