Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2004 Mitsubishi Galant

tsxtsx Posts: 32
edited March 23 in Mitsubishi
I've just recently got some updates on the upcoming 2004 Mitsubishi Galant. (from the Mitsubishi Dealer Autoshow)

Current model is not in the competative Sedan market anymore with the new Camry, Altima, Mazda 6 and the Accord - The sedan market standards are set much higher, bigger, powerful and more features.

The new 2004 Galant will be released next month in the New York International Auto Show. It's a brand new vehicle from Groundup. The Galant will use the enhanced version of both engines. The Galant will be equipped with a larger, more powerful, using the latest SOHC inline four assisted by Mitsubishi's Innovative Valve Timing and Electronic Control (MIVEC)which is equivlent to Honda's VTEC and Toyota's VVT-i. This engine will make 160HP and 160+ Torque.

The SOHC 3.0-Litre V6 will also use MIVEC, making atleast 220HP and 210+ Torque. Thew Galant is very similar to the new Camry, aggressive styling and overall a bigger vehicle. The front grill is very similar to the new Endeavour.

It will make it's public debut Next Month in April. Mitsubishi is finally catching with Horsepower numbers in the import market. With the New Galant, Lancer (plus the sports wagon), Endeavour and Montero Sport making their Debut in September. These models will sell like hot cakes.

Comments

• regfootballregfootball Posts: 2,166
    Look forward to the new Galant. Don't forget the Outlander (must be your sports wagon) is a nice rig (except its slow) and there are good Diamante deals right now (even if its dated). Lancer is nice too!

Mit is not a top dog but their offerings are solidly of 'Japanese character' but not pretentious like Honda or Toyota so the deals are still good.

Looks like the Galant will fall a bit shy on hp.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    Toyota and Honda are pretensious? Are you drunk?
  • argentargent Posts: 176
    "Pretentious" doesn't seem right, although "fussy" could apply, especially to some styling cues. (Particularly the current Camry and Corolla, although the tail of the new Accord sedans is no prize, either.)
    by pretentious I mean the whole dealer experience and baggage that comes with owning a Honda or Toyota. Kind of the snob thing.

VW is a pretentious experience but in a more urban chic young kinda way.
  • jseg72jseg72 Posts: 1
    Is there anyway I can make the car much quieter during highway driving?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,867
    jseg72, you might try the general Mitsubishi Galant discussion to get ideas from other owners.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

on Autoweek website under NY autoshow.

Not sure if I like it.
    The new Galant is NOT flattered by the camera. Maybe it will look different in person. I also question the choice of the oversized 3.8L engine to go in the vehicle. Sure its torque rich, but is it too much so? Hopefully it wont face the same torque steer issues that Nissan hasnt been able to solve in the Altima and Max. And what will the fuel economy ratings be? How will handling be affected by an engine that is 1.4L larger than the 4cylinder that will be used?
    Honda still leads the V6 engine race, if you ask me- good power, sufficient torque, wonderful sound, good fuel economy. The Nissan 3.5 and Toyota 3.0 VVTi are neck and neck for second, IMO (I'm not a pushover for absolute speed).

Time will tell how the Galant fares....
    ~alpha
    anybody care....?
    Saw the new Galant in person. I dont think many people will care, especially given the car's unattractivness. Those taillights! Uggh. If I had money right now, I'd go get a nice 2003 LS V6- carsdirect.com shows MSRP a hair under $25K, with selling price just over $20K!

~alpha
  • carguy58carguy58 Posts: 2,303
    Pontiac grille and Cadillac Deville headlights. The 99 Galant caught my attention. Than they had to put that beak on the 02 Galant. 99-01 was the best looking Galant.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Posts: 1,467
    When the previous Galant was released, it was easily the best looking Japanese sedan until they add the ugly grille. Now the car is even uglier.
  • jeminijemini Posts: 1
    Wow, after hearing some of these comments, I'll probably keep my '01 Galant. I was seriously thinking of trading mine for the '04. I thought the look wasn't bad(in line w/ the '04 Maxima) and the 230HP V6 almost sold me...I guess I'll have to wait and see it in person, come September '03 and read the current Car&Driver or Motortrend magz and see what they think.
  • vadim_stvadim_st Posts: 13
    I just saw the new Galant at the NY auto show. They did not let people in the one on the floor, and it had dark windows. The car on the podium had doors open, and the interior did not look terribly bad, although apparently has this new techno style (with a lot of white rough-edged metal and faux screws, which now reigns in many new cars and makes me uncomfortable).
    I have to agree with the opinion that the front is rather ugly at first sight. The rear is marginally acceptable to me, and the body looks fine (better than Camry, at least), although more generic now. I also think that the 99-01 style was the most elegant, with just enough chrome for sharpness.
    the interior photos of the '04 I have seen are not impressive.

Galant fans line up for your Diamantes instead. Considering how cheap I got my 01 and 02, and knowing how cheap they are new, its bound to be about the same price.
  • cayennered1cayennered1 Posts: 193
    As the former owner of a 99 ESV6, I was very satisfied with the car and would have bought it off lease if Mitsubishi would have been negotiable (which they were not). Always thought the car was the most styish of mid size sedans and with after market leather it was attractive inside and out.

I leased an 03 Altima 2.5S and am very satisfied. Very stylish and much roomier than the Galant. 2.5S performs comparably to the 3.0V6 with mileage at 30 highway. My one complaint is noise levels are high.

Saw the 04 Galant at the New York show and thought it was a pretty attractive car. I'm not a fan of the Mitsubishi corporate beak, but the Galant is the least offensive looking of the group. Prefer the the base tailights to the upmarket clear ones and think the car basically resembles Sebring-Stratus in profile but more attractive. Saw the interior and it seems to emphasize a titanium center stack (looked like Mazda 6) and two tone door trim. Not bad, but not gorgeous either.

Compared to the super bland Malibu (will GM ever get it?) this car is a knockout. I like it better than the 6 and Camry and Accord are certainly no great styling examples either.
    I would only put the Altima ahead of if it in styling.

With what's available right now I see no reason why the 04 Galant can't be very competitive.
    GM did get a clue with the Malibu....only problem is its called Vectra and is only offered outside of the USA!
  • panamaltd2panamaltd2 Posts: 162
    The 6? Are you talking about the Mazda6 because that car is considered without a doubt the best looking midsize sedan on the market. It does not even compare to the Camry or Accord in terms of styling. Plus the interior of the Mazda6 is tasteful executed rather than the tacky toy look of the new Galant interior. Sorry but I don't see many people dissagree with me on this point.
    I HATE the Pontiac orange of the 6's gauges, and I'm not a big fan of the center stack, either. But. overall, I think its a great car (though lacking in low end torque). Pity it isnt selling well.

~alpha
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Posts: 1,467
    but so is the new Altima.

The 6's interior also has its share of cheap plastic parts as well, but it isn't too too bad.
    Perhaps it's just me but I see the Mazda 6 as a most generic looking sedan with styling reminiscent of cars like the Catera and other older Euro GM sedans. Certainly not unattractive and certainly better looking than Accord and Camry, but nothing special in my eyes.

I've seen some more detailed pictures of the Galant interior (check Edmunds future model photos) and I don't see it as less attractive than
    the 6's interior.

Looks of course, are subjective so to each his own. Anyway, I'm most happy with the styling performance of my Altima and am not looking for a change for several years at least.
  • carguy58carguy58 Posts: 2,303
    Well the 6's tailights have been compared to the 96-02 Cavilier but I think the 6 is alot better looking than the Cavilier. I don't think the 6 looks like a GM Car. Its more italian looking than anything American. The 6 is not generic looking not at all. The Catera was a very vanilla looking car. The 6 has an agressive looking stance to it. I think the 02+ Passat has a beautiful look to it too definately sharper looking than the 98-01 Passat's.
  • panamaltd2panamaltd2 Posts: 162
    I have a 6 and it does not have orange lighting. Styling is a personal issue but from the amout of good looks and thumbs up I get driving my 6 I think most people agree. Also, the 6 has very little cheap plastic in it. Have you actually sat in one before? Trust me, I do not buy cars with cheap interiors. There is a large difference between the 6 interior and the Altima's. But really, I would take any car from Mazda or Nissan above any car from Honda, Toyota or Mitsubishi anyday.
    Does not have orange/red dash lighting? I havent seen a 6 any other way? Am I missing something?
    ~alpha
    The Mazda 6 interior is indeed a pretty nice place to be....
  • I'm satisfied with my '02 Galant so far, though I did like the chrome waterfall grille of the '99-'01 model better than the cleft pallete of the '02-'03.

You can definitely see a Chrysler "cab forward" influence in the new Galant (not surprising since Chrysler owns a good chunk of Mitsubishi). I think Mitsu pulled it off better than Chrysler does, though.

Nice to see variable valve timing in the 4 cyinder engine. The improvement I'd most like to see, however, is a 6 cylinder that runs on regular fuel. That's unlikely as the 215 horse version of the 3.8 liter engine in the Endeavor requires premium.

The '04 Ralliart Lancer is exciting too.
    Maybe its just a coincidental look, because Chrysler is moving away from cab forward with their new designs.

~alpha
    I owned a 99 Galant V6 and while premium fuel is recommended it was not mandatory and I usually used mid grade fuel though reguler would be ok too. The basic difference is that the lower octane fuels provide less performance off the line, but don't do any damage.

I do see some of the Sebring-Stratus in the 04's styling. That doesn't necessarily mean it's cab forward.
  • purp3purp3 Posts: 24
    I have a 2000 ES 4cyl Galant with 44,000 miles on it. Before this car, I owned a 92 Toyota Paseo. I've been having problem with the rotors warping on my Galant. I bought my Galant new. In 44,000 miles I've had to have the rotors turned 3 times. My Toyota didn't need the rotors turned for 88,000 miles. This should show that I'm not an aggressive breaking driver. I'm thinking my rotors are defective on my Galant. Anyone else experience the same problem? Any help you can provide would be great! Thanks...
This discussion has been closed.