Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What was your first car? What happened to it?

14567810»

Comments

• fezofezo Posts: 9,383
    You're right. The upholstery isn't right. When we got that thing it was largely rust but it was a deep red - like burgundy. Now, remember I warned you. This was 1968... We painted it that amazing yellow that Camaros were using at the time. Looked like a giant banana!

The dealer that had the one I linked to is only about 60 miles from here and has some nice old stuff that I wouldn't mind... but I have to behave myself.
  • fintailfintail Posts: 33,949
    It was the 60s...people did what they had to do to get by :P

IIRC Adenauers had two upholstery options - leather, and kind of a cord woolcloth - the latter of which is hard to find and very expensive. I suspect a full interior restoration on one of these, with wood and chrome included, could approach 10 grand in itself if done by a quality shop.
    I could believe that. What happened to us is we reached the point where it was get serious or give it up because it was eating us up in little mechanical things. Basically the time had come to do a real rebuild on the engine. Oh, well. We had some really fun years with that thing and what, with the coming of the 70s sooner or later we'd have had to pick another color....
    I'm guessing metalflake orange, puke green, or monkeycrap brown :P

A good engine rebuild on one of those would probably 15 grand, too.
    That or maybe harvest gold....
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,196
    Shoot, I thought those 1965-66 full-size Fords were supposed to be "Quieter than a Rolls-Royce!" My girlfriend's first car was a 1966 Ford Galaxie 500 four-door sedan that used to be her Dad's car. It was a medium blue metallic with a black cloth and vinyl interior. Knowing how conservative her father was, it probably had a tepid V-8 - maybe even something like a 289.
    Mine, with its 390-4bbl, dual exhaust with glasspacks, and 16 year old driver who liked to downshift simply for noise, defeated any engineering of the car :shades:

I do remember it was a smooth cruiser though.
  • bhill2bhill2 Posts: 1,371
    Shoot, I thought those 1965-66 full-size Fords were supposed to be "Quieter than a Rolls-Royce!"

I think Ford only made that claim for the LTD. Part of positioning that model as a 'premium' car.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv, 2001 Jaguar XK cnv, 1985 MB 380SE (the best of the lot)

About 1970 my dad started buying these company cars from State Farm where my uncle worked. They'd be a couple of years old and have about 50K on them. The first one was a 66 Fairlane. The one real memory of that was that there was no play in the wheel at all. If you sneezed you'd probably drive off the road. So just to show me I suppose the next one was a Ford Custom with no power steering. My goodness that took some real effort to turn!

After that he got a 71 Galaxie 500 that was a nice car for what it was though you still had to steer it like that Fairlane.

His next car was the best of that crop - a 72 Impala with a 350 in it. It was a god awful brown but a nice car to drive. Got my first speeding ticket in it.
14567810»
This discussion has been closed.