Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Navigation GPS Systems

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=449&pID=112203

Anyone get one of these?

I have a 7" Magellan but it freezes once a week or so and my Garmins are simply better.

But I'm waiting for a backup cam option on the Garmins. They don't even have a video input for those.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 39,049
    Well, with a 7" screen you're getting into tablet territory. Get a nav app and you can enjoy a bunch of other bells and whistles away from the car.

A backup cam would be nice. Wireless cam going to your tablet? And you could do an OBDII thing to track stuff, instead of getting a ScanGauge.

With all the options, no wonder Garmin is partnering with the automakers.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 17,740
    Don't know where to ask this: does anyone know what's a good code scanner. I need want more than a code reader.

I've looked at Actron 9575 and Actron 9580A. Both read live data.

Are there others I should look at that are available? How about PC-based setups requiring a laptop for use? The $180 for Actron 9580A is an attractive price range and its suggestions for fixes for codes seems to add to the price more than the value to me, but it can graph and store data. And the 9575 is available around $100.

What's out there?

This message has been approved.

Autel is out there. Starting at $18 + shipping at Amazon. But I don't have a clue if the brand is any good or which model to get.
  • danjerodanjero Posts: 1
    Well ive got 7" tablet for GPS and it is commonly suits my needs.
    edited June 2013
    >Autel is out there.

I'm hoping for a step above the basic code readers. I want one that will graph data and store it. It looks to me llike OTC brand is really Actron or parent company using same software, but maybe older and not supported from company.

I stumbled onto Autel brand in my search: Autel AULAL519 looks about right.

Reading info sheets from Actron and Innova is like finding engineering info from a car company--they really don't want you to know and instead they just want to advertise to you with catch words.

Reading reviews of various scanners on Amazon is not helpful because the people know very little about the cars and the technology. Most just picked a scanner by price, color, etc., and either it worked to help by giving a code that led to the failed part or it didn't work.

I'm hoping for a good lead. And the Autel brand seems to have steady reviews across their products.

I posted on the GPS topic because it's technology oriented. I was thinking that being technology-oriented folk someone would also understand the auto code scanner market as well.

edited June 2013
    lol, don't you always by tech stuff by the color and how shiny it is?

You may want to ask over in the A Mechanic's Life discussion too. Or maybe not. ;)
    edited June 2013
    >A Mechanic's Life discussion too. Or maybe not.

Afraid to. I've already been tersely upbraided there, LOL. :sick:
    I'm surprised there isn't a topic here on code readers, scanners, tech tools for car maintenance.

edited June 2013
    Yeah, good idea. I'll ask Shifty to start one up over in Maintenance & Repair.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 28,694
    I'm surprised there isn't a topic here on code readers, scanners, tech tools for car maintenance.

I am too. Sites for VW TDI talk about their code readers and tech gadgets regularly.
    GPS Leads Woman Onto Railroad Tracks, Minivan Destroyed

BELMONT, Mass. — A woman and her two children, ages 7 and 10, narrowly escaped serious injury when a train smashed into their minivan after a GPS device led the driver onto MBTA train tracks Tuesday night.

http://www.breitbart.com/InstaBlog/2013/06/20/GPS-Leads-Woman-Onto-Railroad-Trac- ks-Minivan-Destroyed
  • fintailfintail Posts: 32,943
    edited June 2013
    I'm voting user error on that one. Probably was supposed to turn onto a street that parallels the track, and driver wasn't paying attention. Pretty hard to get stuck on tracks while looking where you are going.
    edited June 2013
    One of the family stories I've heard over the years was my father taking a neighbor to Birmingham and managing to turn onto a railroad track thinking it was a street. I'll have to ask for the details again. I think it was getting dark and my old man was known to have a snort now and then.

Ok, the latest version was him driving his sister back to DC in her car and scaring her to death driving down a railroad track. And going around one of the traffic circles over and over. And he was snockered. Who knows the real version any more....

I got a Ford Falcon stuck on a railroad track when I was 15. :blush:
  • marsh0511marsh0511 Posts: 5
    Am I the only one who sometimes likes to NOT hear music or a sports game while driving?? Trying to figure out how to turn off the radio but still hear the navigation directions when they occur. How can I do this? Vehicle is GM - Infotainment system (Enclave/Acadia/Traverse SUVs, 2013).
    I like music some of the time. My wife likes the silence. That is why a very quiet vehicle if important to us. Good question on shutting off the music. On our Toyota Sequoia the audio system has a separate on/off switch and volume from the NAV.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Now that I have a smart phone with a big enough screen...what Apps for navigation do you guys recommend?

I'm trying an app called Waze, anyone familiar with it? Jalopnik named is their #1 App for cars. It's the one that does live traffic and police/hazard warnings, and just got bought up by Google.

Results are mixed - I love the plethora of real-time information, but the volume is low and the maps could be better.

Phone is a Galaxy S4, though I may swap for a Note 3 when those come out.
    I like the NAV App that came with my Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0. It is tied into Google maps and has road conditions. Though our new car also has a NAV with SiriusXM road conditions. We just made a trip up to Los Angeles and the road condition feature was right on. You can list your trip and it gives the condition of all the roads you will be taking. We re-routed around an accident that had the 405 backed up for miles.
    Garmin is trying to stay relevant in the face of better built-in nav systems and smartphone apps:

Head-Up Display